• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar Type 1 with voices?

theyownyou

Doubtful Salvation
Dec 6, 2013
✟8,942.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

I've been diagnosed as BP 1 last year and I'm experiencing something kind of new. I've had some experiences where I've been going to sleep or waking up and hearing a low pitched male voice that says random things like green, walk etc.... Then it went away for awhile. I'm up late tonight just watching videos and I decided to go get some tea from a nearby gas station. My kids and wife are fast asleep and the rest of the house is pitched black. When I got outside i heard a womans voice say hello. It was very lighty spoken, but very clear. Almost like someone would be whispering to me. There was no one out on my street and I live in a very quiet area. Is this the "voices" everyone talks about. Am I about to have a psychotic episode? I plan on telling my dr of course, but wanted more input. Thanks.

Nov 5, 2016
Here
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

I've been diagnosed as BP 1 last year and I'm experiencing something kind of new. I've had some experiences where I've been going to sleep or waking up and hearing a low pitched male voice that says random things like green, walk etc.... Then it went away for awhile. I'm up late tonight just watching videos and I decided to go get some tea from a nearby gas station. My kids and wife are fast asleep and the rest of the house is pitched black. When I got outside i heard a womans voice say hello. It was very lighty spoken, but very clear. Almost like someone would be whispering to me. There was no one out on my street and I live in a very quiet area. Is this the "voices" everyone talks about. Am I about to have a psychotic episode? I plan on telling my dr of course, but wanted more input. Thanks.
Hallucinations can accompany a manic episode! Don't let others play doctor! Talk to your Doctor! I am bipolar too and just got over being suicidal just a few hours ago..........

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with blackribbon, although rather than speak of potentially being an inpatient, I would just say that your life could get significantly more painful for you and your family without addressing this as a psychosis (which is typically considered separate from bipolar disorder).

By the way, from what you said, it's definitely not from God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Am I about to have a psychotic episode? I plan on telling my dr of course, but wanted more input. Thanks.
Good [in the care of your doctor].

The voices leading to episode? I don't know.
Often they are just a side effect of medicine,
and sometimes of a niacin / b-vitamin or other deficiency.
Ask the doctor and find out all you can about it.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Inpatient treatment isn't a threat or a punishment but rather is a measure of how bad the episode is. Voices turn negative over time and start telling people to harm themselves, others, or completely destroy a person's sense of self worth. The more acute the episode, the louder and overpowering the voices become...and the more a person needs a safe environment for the necessary medications to take effect. That is what inpatient treatment is. It isn't any different than a diabetic that is non-compliant with treatment can very easily end up hospitalized and potentially, even in ICU.

I always advice my patients to act when they first start noticing the auditory hallucinations and get treatment then...the same as going to your family doctor when you first start running a fever and not waiting for treatment until you are 105 degrees and are forced to go to the ER to even survive. For many people, the voice start as just "wind" in their ears even before they start to talk...this is the time to get meds adjusted with your personal doctor.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with blackribbon, although rather than speak of potentially being an inpatient, I would just say that your life could get significantly more painful ...
I didn't mean to suggest that you were using potentially being an inpatient as a threat. It is simply outside my experience to have a feel for when being an inpatient is necessary. However, not getting treatment and experiencing a fall into suffering is within my experience. (It's a way to describe why one might need in patient treatment, too.)

As you did, I would also describe it as an emergency (like having a 105° temperature), mainly because putting it off can easily transform into a choice to not do it, which is like refusing to get off a train whose next stop could be years of torture.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Unfortunately, most inpatient patients are not voluntary admissions. At the voluntary stage, out-patient care is usually also an option. Non-voluntary admissions tend to be from people who have acted on what the voices say which often is self-harm or severely paranoid behaviors. They may have also started to behave in completely psychotic behaviors that are nothing like how they will behave when their brain chemistry is in proper balance. If treatment is sought when the wind starts blowing or the voices are still friendly, medication adjustment can be done outside of the hospital environment.

The good news is that often these voices can be completely silenced.

Upvote 0