• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar and religion

DeFyYing

Sep 8, 2020
NJ
✟8,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
For most of my life religion has been very important to me, but the more I reflect on it the more I see how it is a constantly-oscillating point of doubt to complete confidence that moves in sync with my bipolar disorder. When I'm manic, believing becomes much easier, I think God is talking to me, etc. When I'm depressed I'm more doubtful and discouraged in my belief, looking to external opinions and consensus to make decisions. And when I'm stable... I don't even know what I believe in anymore. I suppose it's belief because that's my default, but I can't help but wonder if I would still believe if I wasn't bipolar. And as someone who is considering pursuing theological studies, it's painful to think about.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
For most of my life religion has been very important to me, but the more I reflect on it the more I see how it is a constantly-oscillating point of doubt to complete confidence that moves in sync with my bipolar disorder. When I'm manic, believing becomes much easier, I think God is talking to me, etc. When I'm depressed I'm more doubtful and discouraged in my belief, looking to external opinions and consensus to make decisions. And when I'm stable... I don't even know what I believe in anymore. I suppose it's belief because that's my default, but I can't help but wonder if I would still believe if I wasn't bipolar. And as someone who is considering pursuing theological studies, it's painful to think about.
Stop thinking about it. Make a decision. Belief is a choice. God's word is truth. Stand on the truth and you won't go wrong. You know why you struggle. During the hard times, start declaring truth. The Bible says that if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in our hearts that He rose from the dead, we will be saved. You can use the word "delivered" instead of "saved". This applies at this moment just as much as the day you first believed. Doubt your doubts! God's word is true no matter how you feel or think. You may change, God's word does not.

Upvote 0

tobyw

Feb 28, 2022
Methton
✟4,303.00
Country
Belarus
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's interesting how one's conscious beliefs can change with shift in mood. Brains are strange things.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's interesting how one's conscious beliefs can change with shift in mood. Brains are strange things.
That is why it is so important to have a foundation in truth. Feelings are utterly unreliable, and that's all that a "mood" is. God intends for His people to live by truth. It's truth that sets us free.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I sorta know how you feel. I dont struggle with believing in Jesus but I do struggle with believing in other things in the Bible like Paul and if he really did live in the wilderness with Jesus. What I do when I am plagued with doubts is watch something or read something about Jesus. That always helps me with my faith. The Chosen tv show is a good one and I cant wait for the new season to come out. I will warn you its not 100% Bible. They have little side stories that werent in the Bible but its all and all a good show. I also like to read Matthew. Thats my favorite part of the Bible.

Upvote 0