• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

BiPolar and Disability

blugill

Dec 1, 2006
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone on the forum have any experience with getting approved for SSDI for BiPolar and Borderline?

My ex wife applied for it and it's been almost six months now.
What are the chances of being approved in the initial step?

She's got a lot of documentation to back everything up, plus my experiences with her.
Thank you.

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well I got approved in four months but if she does get approved it will either be SSI first or if she has had enough job experience SSDI but I think they do SSI first...Not sure tho.....Did she have a advocate go with her to social security and a treatment team backing up what she goes thru....I had that and it helped greatly and also documents showing she's been in the hospital?

Upvote 0

blugill

Dec 1, 2006
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
She hired a place called AllSup to get the paperwork in order.
I just filled out a survey for her as well and she's working on two of her own to send back in.
I know that her counselors have filled out the same and I'm pretty sure the hospital stays are all included in the paperwork that they have now.
I've just heard it's hard to get approved for a mental disability, way harder than a physical one.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
No it's the other way around its hard for pain management patients to get approved because well they don't have hospitals to go to to get better paid by the state and also if they can walk sit or stand then they most likely won't get approved. For mental health patients once your mind goes hay wire than it disables the whole body. Rest on this and know it is easier for a mental health patient then a PM patient. Trust me I know a guy who can't do hardly Anything and that's because he hurts physically and has to get a lawyer which will drag out the case because they get 25% of the back pay. She will either have to see one of there psych doctors or they will approve her.

Upvote 0

blugill

Dec 1, 2006
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
She's really counting on it being approved. Her rent is only paid up through March and her car is three months behind.
So she's really struggling right now but I did notice one small thing.
On the paperwork I filled out it had a ten calendar day deadline to return it to the SS office.
She gave it to me eleven days after she received it and it was on a holiday weekend when I sent it back off. She's still working on her two that she has to fill out.

If she sent it back in today it would get there ten days after the deadline was up.
This might hurt her but I hope not.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I waited till the last moment to fill my own out.....cause I really didn't want help by the Goverment even tho I was so disabled that I couldn't even get out of bed......Um, I'm not sure whether that will effect her or not.....Just pray about it...If she has loads of proof and she is unstable enough to where she has to see a psych doc every month then either they will want her to talk to the psychatrist which he will determine whether she is fit or not or they will approve her......I just know so many people with MI's get approved because mental illnesses are really tough for that person.

Upvote 0