Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
...Why would a restaurant want to target just men? Women gotta eat, too...but you never see a food commercial with some buff young beefcake chowing down on a grilled chicken salad or a fruit and yogurt cup...?

Honestly...the first thing that comes to mind when I see stuff like that is that the food must be seriously substandard, if that's what's needed to make it look tasty. The second thing that comes to mind is that any guy who would buy the food just on the basis of a racy commercial...would never score with a chick like that in the first place.

The whole concept is ludicrous.
Men are visual and women are emotional. Thus commercial advertizing is more easily geared toward targeting men. It is just easier to hit the broad side of a barn (men) than the apple on top of the head (women).

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, there's a pretty famous series of diet coke adverts that center around female office workers admiring the six pack of a mechanic/window cleaner/builder while sipping diet coke. Actually got banned in a couple of countries initially for being "demeaning to men", how's that for a double standard...

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
How is this any different from 'Hooters'? Or the Hardee's commercials with the scantily clad young woman riding a mechanical bull while eating a monster hamburger?
What?? I've never seen that one.

I'll tell you a commercial that's disturbing to me though. There was this What-A-Burger ranch chicken sandwich commercial, and as the sandwich is being made, this guy is sitting there in nervous, guilty anticipation, and all you can see are his eyes. The sandwich gets covered in ranch sauce, and they show the guy's hand grabbing a lot of napkins, one after another. You do the math.
I've never gotten it. Why would a restaurant want to target just men? Women gotta eat, too...but you never see a food commercial with some buff young beefcake chowing down on a grilled chicken salad or a fruit and yogurt cup...?
Hmph. I woulda thought they'd have a boyfriend showing commitment by wearing a matching American flag jumpsuit with his girlfriend on the 4th of July, but that's just me. (fun fact: I actually witnessed this.)
Honestly...the first thing that comes to mind when I see stuff like that is that the food must be seriously substandard, if that's what's needed to make it look tasty. The second thing that comes to mind is that any guy who would buy the food just on the basis of a racy commercial...would never score with a chick like that in the first place.

The whole concept is ludicrous.
You'd be amazed. I think any guy would fall for it, given his state of desperation. Even though most guys here are like "Is outrage!," in reality, there's a wee little man inside them saying, "taaaaaaste iiiiiiiiiit." It's a biological imperative, seriously. :holy:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, there's a pretty famous series of diet coke adverts that center around female office workers admiring the six pack of a mechanic/window cleaner/builder while sipping diet coke. Actually got banned in a couple of countries initially for being "demeaning to men", how's that for a double standard...
I remember that commercial. That guy was HOT!

LOL, I'm kidding.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'll tell you a commercial that's disturbing to me though. There was this What-A-Burger ranch chicken sandwich commercial, and as the sandwich is being made, this guy is sitting there in nervous, guilty anticipation, and all you can see are his eyes. The sandwich gets covered in ranch sauce, and they show the guy's hand grabbing a lot of napkins, one after another. You do the math.
Eww.. that's really barfy. :sick:

If I was watching tv with some people I didn't know very well I would be really embarrassed.

Those kinds of ads get under my husband's skin, too. He is especially sensitive to things that target children. There's a fox ad, or maybe it's disney, I dunno, some kind of children's ad--and you know how before the movies they show the lady with the torch? Whatever that film company is. Well the cartoons have one where they show the lady with the torch, and then strong wind comes along and blows her skirt up. It's totally wrong, and it's geared to kids.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
no yer not.
I suppose now would not be the time to admit that I plan on packing the kiddies to bed early Monday evening so that I can indulge my carnality by watching the Justin Timberlake concert on HBO? Sure, he's 20 years younger --and if my kids were older i wouldn't allow them to go to his concert, but what the hey. He sure is a cutie patootie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How is this any different from 'Hooters'?

Have you ever seen the episode of "The Office" when Michael takes (what's his name) to Hooters ?

He tells the waitress: I will have the chicken breast, without the chicken.

Well, the waitress goes off on him.

Do you think she had that coming given her choice in employment or that Michael was stupid ?

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah yes... the coca cola light man. *G* I remember those commercials.

Upvote 0

KenBrauckmann

Senior Veteran
Oct 5, 2005
Springfield, Va USA
✟11,742.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
simple conversation.... I mean, if she is working and having guys (and some girls) lear at her all day, she might appreciate someone showing HER some concern... and yes, I know tracts are allowed by Roman rules, but conversation is not and she may be in need of salvation - but then, God kind of HIT me with that calling.

I know this is kind of an unusual post for the OBOB thread, but I hear this in the other areas too and toinight I guess it just struck me to comment. So many times Christians seem to say"ooo ick! run from temptation!!" instead of taking an opportunity to spread the Gospel that can save the individual we just ran from. Maybe this is the wrong spopt for the observation but this was the thread I was reading when the thought hit me.

Ken

Reactions: BAFRIEND
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
simple conversation.... I mean, if she is working and having guys (and some girls) lear at her all day, she might appreciate someone showing HER some concern... and yes, I know tracts are allowed by Roman rules, but conversation is not and she may be in need of salvation - but then, God kind of HIT me with that calling.

I know this is kind of an unusual post for the OBOB thread, but I hear this in the other areas too and toinight I guess it just struck me to comment. So many times Christians seem to say"ooo ick! run from temptation!!" instead of taking an opportunity to spread the Gospel that can save the individual we just ran from. Maybe this is the wrong spopt for the observation but this was the thread I was reading when the thought hit me.

Ken
Of course you are right, Ken.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My reaction is just that it's kind of crass. I mean, look, the female form can be very beautiful and attractive and whatnot. Sexuality can be very wonderful. I am not somehow who tends to shy away from those sorts of things. Honestly, though, a woman in a skimpy bikini selling hot dogs would bother me a little. It's not because I think it's evil or worry about being led into temptation or anything like that, but because it's kind of tacky and forces a nearly naked body down everyone's throat. Sometimes you just want lunch, ya know? :) There's a reason we don't all walk around town in our underwear or naked all day -- I'd like to think we humans generally prefer sexuality in context and with people we like, not gratuitous and in our faces 24/7 from random strangers trying to sell us things.

I think these sorts of things also kind of diminish the uniqueness and special nature of sexuality -- as something apart and distinct from the rest of human behavior. All of the sudden we make these sorts of things just like, well, eating a hot dog and it that just isn't the way things should be, ideally. I think we've lost something in this modern era where a husband and a wife's bodies seem to belong to the world instead of just each other. There's the women in skimpy bathing suits and the bare chested men in shorts on shorts on hot days, there's this and that and the other, and it's not that I'm horrified by any of that, I've seen naked women before and I've seen myself naked (so I guess that counts as a man), and obviously I've seen even more people than that barely dressed in bikinis and such, but I just don't like all this stuff in public and in your face. What ever happened to sexuality being something special you share with someone you love? I wish we could move back towards that a little bit.

Maybe that makes me old and prudish. I don't know. I just begin to feel like we're selling sexuality and through that we're selling fake love and companionship and attention. And it demeans us all and starts to impede our ability to truly love and be sexual in an honest expressive way instead of to get something (Whether it be money or attention) or to sell something or just out of reflex because it is what we always do just walking down the street.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I remember one time long ago, some girl friends and me were at some bar/food establishment that was new. And the manager told us that he was going to have some of his good looking waitresses stand outside in short shorts and suggestive clothing with signs to attract customers. When he left, we asked the waitress if she was going to do that. Her reply was 'get out of town I am NOT doing that'--- we all laughed. At him. It was pretty dang funny.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You must know that Tracts are anti-Catholic.

What other witnessing tool would you recommend... Jimmy Swaggart ?
some tracts are anti-catholic, but there are other tracts which are specifically catholic. You can even buy an entire tract-pack from catholic answers (catholic.com).

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Ken
Hi Ken,
I once saw a documentary on a Christian Ministry to people at strip-clubs. The guys would go to these strip clubs and set up a booth and try to witness to folks at the club, as well as the strippers.
What do you think about that?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.