Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
getting back to carico, i think the idea that humans are apes (in the context of just giving a name to something) was simply too offensive to her to get beyond.

I know how she feels, man. Gravity is the one that offends me. Always trying to bring me down and whatnot.

one could easily have said, "we'll put all the lizards and frogs, etc over here and call them Doodads and we'll put all the gorillas and humans over here and call them Dittybops," merely as a means of classifying different living creatures. certainly participants in this thread care enough to try to educate and she should learn about something before trying to refute it. how many christians have you honestly heard say, "well, they were just too stupid to learn the gospel, so we ridiculed them out of the room?"

I had a conversation with one creationist who as insisting humans aren't apes. I decided I would figure out at what point in biological classification he thought we diverged from the rest of the apes. I figured I'd start with kingdom and work my way to specifics: "Are we plant, animal, or fungus." I asked. He said "None of the above, we're humans."

So according to this one guy, our taxonomic nomenclature is:
Human, human, human, human, human, homo sapiens.

I thought it was funny.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
Google Earth Coords: 39-48 N 75-04 W
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As an ex-Christian, he'd be more like a Russian-born American linguistics professor, actually. With religion, people tend to look for what they want to believe when they look at the bible. I think secularism is a more neutral, unbiased position.

thanks for the link, i'll check it later when i'm home as bandwidth here is horrible (damn smileys crash the whole page)(ok, not that bad).

ok, so he's ex-christian, and you see this as being LESS biased?

i think where the bible is concerned that everyone, whatever side of the fence they're on, is inclined to look for what they want to believe. this is why many christians will say they pray for the holy spirit to reveal bible truths to them. not saying this actually happens or doesn't, just saying what they say. its a very curious thing to say.

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I know how she feels, man. Gravity is the one that offends me. Always trying to bring me down and whatnot.

dude, i was once right there with you...til one day i realized that as powerful as gravity is, i defy it thousands of times a day. :preach:

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
dude, i was once right there with you...til one day i realized that as powerful as gravity is, i defy it thousands of times a day. :preach:

You don't defy it, you overcome it. But you can't defy gravity.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
black and white, grayscale, you get the idea don't you? certainly you must because you replied with total comprehension of the concept i presented. so the question i have next is are you a troll or do you honestly nitpick everything?

Nitpick.

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I had a conversation with one creationist who as insisting humans aren't apes. I decided I would figure out at what point in biological classification he thought we diverged from the rest of the apes. I figured I'd start with kingdom and work my way to specifics: "Are we plant, animal, or fungus." I asked. He said "None of the above, we're humans."

I thought it was funny.

Oh, I know what you mean... how could anyone ever question our taxonomic nomenclature??? :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Breeding between species is not black & white. There are degrees of different organisms ability to fertilize and succesfully reproduce. For example, human and various other primate gametes (eggs and sperm) can successfully fertilize.
This would explain the ERV found in human and other primate. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
K

knowledgeIsPower

where does the changing of the definition of a word start then if not the individual, pray tell? (not defending the motivation here, btw)
Of course it starts with an individual however English-speaking society as a whole needs to use it in order for it to facilitate the inclusion of that new usage or new word into the language. It is the adoption of the term by society that matters. Not the individual's usage of the term. If this weren't the case languages would be meaningless gobbledygook with each person using their own personal definitions for words.

Some yob in a forum can't just start spontaneously making up his own vague definitions for the term "ape" and expect the rest of society to take him seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
every time i step away from my computer where i can at least choose to converse with intelligent people (present company included) and out into the world, all i hear is gobbledygook. outside is society. *sigh* so i share your opinion.

but my suggestion implied there are those who may be exercising their right to at least start changing the definition of a word.

to her, "ape" is the equivalent of Newspeak.

Upvote 0
K

knowledgeIsPower

every time i step away from my computer where i can at least choose to converse with intelligent people (present company included) and out into the world, all i hear is gobbledygook. outside is society. *sigh* so i share your opinion.

but my suggestion implied there are those who may be exercising their right to at least start changing the definition of a word.

to her, "ape" is the equivalent of Newspeak.
I see your point.

It saddens me but I see your point. :(

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gravity is the one that offends me. Always trying to bring me down and whatnot.

I had a conversation with one creationist who was insisting humans aren't apes.
I decided I would figure out at what point in biological classification he thought we diverged from the rest of the apes. I figured I'd start with kingdom and work my way to specifics: "Are we plant, animal, or fungus." I asked.

He said "None of the above, we're humans."
He said that? Are you sure?

God began with very basic elements, & Added incremental :thumbsup: complexity,
so in that sense, we have some characteristics of them all.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I thought it was funny.
I rather enjoyed this dialogue on another thread concerning that :D

http://www.christianforums.com/t3878390/#post27827290
Are You an Animal?

Originally Posted by JohnR7 I just find the theory of evolution and a lot of evolutionists to be offensive.

Originally Posted by Gracchus You are an animal, a plant, a fungus or a bacterium. No other choices are available.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
POE'S LAW:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article.

:nada:

Upvote 0