Biden taps new White House counsel to thwart GOP probes as legal pressure mounts

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So? They have been charged with sedition. What is important about their being charged with sedition instead of insurrection?

What was the point of posting that old op-ed? It did mention that the sentence for insurrection shall not be for more than ten years, but for sedition, not more than twenty - so it would seem that sedition is the more serious charge.
Seditious conspiracy, not sedition.
Sedition means inciting rebellion against established authority with words or actions.

Two primary federal laws target the crime of sedition (hardly ever used).

Seditious Conspiracy is two or more people conspiring“to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof.” Seditious conspiracy - until Trump - has been reserved for highly unusual situations involving unambiguous enemies of the United States. You know, like 9/11 jihadists, or the Civil War.

NO one attempted to "destroy by force the Government or levy war", but they seized on an argument on the lesser "prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of a law". The confirmation of Biden as President was delayed an hour, as I recall. The entire incident, a rally that turned into a riot for a small percentage of those present, was wrapped up in 3 or 4 hours and the area cleared.

This is tantamount to abuse of prosecution and I would be really surprised if it stands under appeal, but we shall see.

Enrique Tarrio's attorney today: “Like anyone else who has been sentenced to 22 years I can imagine he's very astonished, but he understands there is an appeal in this case,” said Tarrio’s defense attorney Nayib Hassan in his first sit down interview since Tarrio’s sentencing.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seditious conspiracy, not sedition.
Sedition means inciting rebellion against established authority with words or actions.

Two primary federal laws target the crime of sedition (hardly ever used).

Seditious Conspiracy is two or more people conspiring“to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof.” Seditious conspiracy - until Trump - has been reserved for highly unusual situations involving unambiguous enemies of the United States. You know, like 9/11 jihadists, or the Civil War.

NO one attempted to "destroy by force the Government or levy war", but they seized on an argument on the lesser "prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of a law". The confirmation of Biden as President was delayed an hour, as I recall. The entire incident, a rally that turned into a riot for a small percentage of those present, was wrapped up in 3 or 4 hours and the area cleared.

This is tantamount to abuse of prosecution and I would be really surprised if it stands under appeal, but we shall see.

Enrique Tarrio's attorney today: “Like anyone else who has been sentenced to 22 years I can imagine he's very astonished, but he understands there is an appeal in this case,” said Tarrio’s defense attorney Nayib Hassan in his first sit down interview since Tarrio’s sentencing.

The operative word is "or".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The confirmation of Biden as President was delayed an hour, as I recall.

The Senate was forced to recess at 2:20 EST. They did not come back into session until after 8:00 PM EST.

The entire incident, a rally that turned into a riot for a small percentage of those present, was wrapped up in 3 or 4 hours and the area cleared.

The entire legislative branch of the most powerful nation on earth was forced to be evacuated to a safe location while rioters defiled the halls of our democracy. But no worries, it "was wrapped up in 3 or 4 hours".

SMH.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, way too short!
Way too long, you mean. We have people that torched businesses in the Floyd riots that got shorter sentences than these people.

Like this guy:
The 10 years of prison time given to Montez T. Lee Jr., 26, in U.S. District Court in St. Paul last week fell well below federal guidelines and follows his guilty plea to arson in connection with the fire that engulfed the Max It Pawn store in the 2700 block of E. Lake Street on May 28, 2020, three days after Floyd was killed while in police custody in south Minneapolis.

Surveillance video footage showed Lee pouring an accelerant around the shop and lighting it. A second video captured him in front of the burning business and declaring as a friend video-recorded his actions, "We're gonna burn this [expletive] down."

Lee was not specifically prosecuted for Stewart's death, and he claimed to not know anyone was in the building before grabbing a can that the defense said he found at the scene and pouring out the accelerant. (SO WHAT?? HE KILLED SOMEONE BECAUSE HE INTENTIONALLY SET FIRE TO A BUILDING).

The remains of Oscar Lee Stewart Jr., 30, of Burnsville were recovered from the rubble nearly two months later. An autopsy found that Stewart died of smoke inhalation and excessive burns. He was one of two people who died during the civil unrest in the Twin Cities that followed Floyd's murder.

Judge goes below guidelines, gives 10-year term to man who set deadly Lake St. fire during unrest

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Senate was forced to recess at 2:20 EST. They did not come back into session until after 8:00 PM EST.

The entire legislative branch of the most powerful nation on earth was forced to be evacuated to a safe location while rioters defiled the halls of our democracy. But no worries, it "was wrapped up in 3 or 4 hours".

SMH.
Not forced. No one was shooting them, despite AOC's histrionics, when she wasn't even there.

Just standard protocol when there is any potential concern. My apologies for recalling inaccurately that the delay was over an HOUR. I recalled incorrectly - it was 5+ hours. Same day - back to business.

It WAS wrapped up in a few hours. Too bad the Guard wasn't sent sooner. You might be interested in what the Chief of Police at the Capitol that day had to say about how it was handled.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Way too long, you mean. We have people that torched businesses in the Floyd riots that got shorter sentences than these people.

Like this guy:
The 10 years of prison time given to Montez T. Lee Jr., 26, in U.S. District Court in St. Paul last week fell well below federal guidelines and follows his guilty plea to arson in connection with the fire that engulfed the Max It Pawn store in the 2700 block of E. Lake Street on May 28, 2020, three days after Floyd was killed while in police custody in south Minneapolis.

Surveillance video footage showed Lee pouring an accelerant around the shop and lighting it. A second video captured him in front of the burning business and declaring as a friend video-recorded his actions, "We're gonna burn this [expletive] down."

Lee was not specifically prosecuted for Stewart's death, and he claimed to not know anyone was in the building before grabbing a can that the defense said he found at the scene and pouring out the accelerant. (SO WHAT?? HE KILLED SOMEONE BECAUSE HE INTENTIONALLY SET FIRE TO A BUILDING).

The remains of Oscar Lee Stewart Jr., 30, of Burnsville were recovered from the rubble nearly two months later. An autopsy found that Stewart died of smoke inhalation and excessive burns. He was one of two people who died during the civil unrest in the Twin Cities that followed Floyd's murder.

Judge goes below guidelines, gives 10-year term to man who set deadly Lake St. fire during unrest
Please stay on topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not forced. No one was shooting them

The crowd was looking to assassinate the VP and Speaker. We know this because they said so. That's why deadly force was used to protect their lives from the murderous crowd.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please stay on topic.
Your response was that the sentences were too short given the nature of the crimes. I responded rationally that those sentences are actually far too long given the comparison with this protest crime, where he actually killed someone and torched a building.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Like this guy:

The off topic crime you mentioned was committed within a state. The state also has jurisdiction to charge for these crimes (and in cases like these they often do). The Jan6 crimes (which are also off-topic, I now realize) can only be charged federally.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The off topic crime you mentioned was committed within a state. The state also has jurisdiction to charge for these crimes (and in cases like these they often do). The Jan6 crimes (which are also off-topic, I now realize) can only be charged federally.
I'm comparing relative significance. Arson and HOMICIDE of a guy in a building are a bit more serious crimes than the vast number of "One charge of demonstrating in the Capitol"or "Entering/refusing to leave a restricted area" or "Disorderly Conduct" or "Obstructing a Proceeding" - the large majority of the Capitol crimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm comparing relative significance. Arson and HOMICIDE of a guy in a building are a bit more serious crimes than the vast number of "One charge of demonstrating in the Capitol"or "Entering/refusing to leave a restricted area" or "Disorderly Conduct" or "Obstructing a Proceeding" - the large majority of the Capitol crimes.

I guess federalism is too hard to understand. The US Capitol is under federal jursidiction, almost none of the "2020 riot" did.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess federalism is too hard to understand. The US Capitol is under federal jursidiction, almost none of the "2020 riot" did.
That's entirely false, as I have already indicated upthread with numerous links, about the Portland Courthouse and other buildings being commandeered by the "protesters".

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That's entirely false, as I have already indicated upthread with numerous links, about the Portland Courthouse and other buildings being commandeered by the "protesters".

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

"The Portland [Federal] Courthouse was "commandeered" by protesters" talk about total falsehood. (They attacked it many nights in a row, but they never had control of it.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The Portland [Federal] Courthouse was "commandeered" by protesters" talk about total falsehood. (They attacked it many nights in a row, but they never had control of it.
They took over a police station in Seattle didn’t they?

Upvote 0