Biblical repentance (doesn't mean a works based salvation)

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
repent in Bible = change of mind/direction, Bible says repent and believe the gospel for salvation, not "repent of your sins (works)" Acts 20:21 "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." God repented more than anyone in the Bible and he doesn't sin.

if you falsely believe and say that repent means "of your sins" to be saved you have 1. added to Gods word 2. believe that Christs death, burial, resurrection wasn't sufficient for sins 3. added to salvation 4. called God a sinner (he repented over 20 times) 5. made salvation works based (follow the law to be/stay saved) which is a false gospel

I believe in repentance for salvation, the biblical repentance not the false "of your sins" works righteousness salvation. and people will falsely accuse you of not believing in repentance when you preach this and then they will falsely throw verses like Luke 13:3 at you, which says nothing about turning from sins and in fact is just talking about physical repentance saying you will likewise perish (Luke 13:3-5). they will hit you with these verses out of context to silence you from preaching grace through faith salvation, it hinders soul winning.

Also they will claim you that you teach license to sin, turned grace into lasciviousness, encourage and glorify sin and falsely claim that you don't believe in repenting of sins at all, but this is a lie, I believe in repent of sins, but not to be saved! Repent of your sins is works,

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Repenting of sins is a daily thing, not apart of our salvation, after salvation we still must die daily, take up our cross, choose to walk in the spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, however we will never be sinlessly perfect until our flesh dies and we go to heaven, Apostle Paul still struggled with Sin, all the apostles sinned after they were saved, yet they all preached against sin, and they never once lost their salvation. Peter denied Christ multiple times and didn't lose his salvation, King Saul, Samson committed suicide and never lost it, Judas committed suicide after he "repented" but went to hell because he was never saved.

Salvation is simply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30-31, entire Gospel of John), if you believe then you sins are covered, if you haven't believed in Christ or believe in your works/repenting your sins or adding anything else to Christs death, burial, resurrection to save you, then you're not saved. this is not "downplaying" or condoning or even encouraging sin at all, this is just explaining the biblical reality of salvation and separating the free gift of eternal life offered freely by Jesus, from our works that we do after we are saved.

Last edited:

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
-​

The only book of The Bible (Gospel of John) written specifically for telling people how to have life (eternal life) never mentions repentance.
yes, and over 50% of the time repentance is mentioned in the Bible it is God repenting. of course the modern versions remove all of the times where is says God repented so they can push this "repent of your sins to be saved" false gospel

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
And they will also say "you must feel convicted, there has to be that Holy Spirit conviction there" to be saved, but the only time conviction is mentioned in the Bible it is talking about unbelievers being convicted by their own conscience John 8:9

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
repent in Bible = change of mind/direction, Bible says repent and believe the gospel for salvation, not "repent of your sins (works)" Acts 20:21 "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." God repented more than anyone in the Bible and he doesn't sin.

if you falsely believe and say that repent means "of your sins" to be saved you have 1. added to Gods word 2. believe that Christs death, burial, resurrection wasn't sufficient for sins 3. added to salvation 4. called God a sinner (he repented over 20 times) 5. made salvation works based (follow the law to be/stay saved) which is a false gospel

I believe in repentance for salvation, the biblical repentance not the false "of your sins" works righteousness salvation. and people will falsely accuse you of not believing in repentance when you preach this and then they will falsely throw verses like Luke 13:3 at you, which says nothing about turning from sins and in fact is just talking about physical repentance saying you will likewise perish (Luke 13:3-5). they will hit you with these verses out of context to silence you from preaching grace through faith salvation, it hinders soul winning.

Also they will claim you that you teach license to sin, turned grace into lasciviousness, encourage and glorify sin and falsely claim that you don't believe in repenting of sins at all, but this is a lie, I believe in repent of sins, but not to be saved! Repent of your sins is works,

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Repenting of sins is a daily thing, not apart of our salvation, after salvation we still must die daily, take up our cross, choose to walk in the spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, however we will never be sinlessly perfect until our flesh dies and we go to heaven, Apostle Paul still struggled with Sin, all the apostles sinned after they were saved, yet they all preached against sin, and they never once lost their salvation. Peter denied Christ multiple times and didn't lose his salvation, King Saul, Samson committed suicide and never lost it, Judas committed suicide after he "repented" but went to hell because he was never saved.

Salvation is simply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30-31, entire Gospel of John), if you believe then you sins are covered, if you haven't believed in Christ or believe in your works/repenting your sins or adding anything else to Christs death, burial, resurrection to save you, then you're not saved. this is not "downplaying" or condoning or even encouraging sin at all, this is just explaining the biblical reality of salvation and separating the free gift of eternal life offered freely by Jesus, from our works that we do after we are saved.
First one must repent ( change their mind) from unbelief to belief. Then the Holy Spirit dwells in them, He has made His Home in them. The Holy Spirit will guild one into all truth and that includes uncovering sin. Once sin is uncovered one can repent, change ones mind with the help of the Holy Spirit by turning in the direction of righteousness. Yes ,our sins are covered however , if ones works are filled with sin by "quenching" His Holy Spirit He will say " I never knew you."
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
First one must repent ( change their mind) from unbelief to belief. Then the Holy Spirit dwells in them, He has made His Home in them. The Holy Spirit will guild one into all truth and that includes uncovering sin. Once sin is uncovered one can repent, change ones mind with the help of the Holy Spirit by turning in the direction of righteousness. Yes ,our sins are covered however , if ones works are filled with sin by "quenching" His Holy Spirit He will say " I never knew you."
Blessings.
you believe that it is possible to lose your salvation by sinning too much, that is calling God a liar 1 John 5:10-13. Jesus never said conditional life, no he said I give them eternal life.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
repent in Bible = change of mind/direction, Bible says repent and believe the gospel for salvation, not "repent of your sins (works)" Acts 20:21 "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."
Change of mind/direction will naturally change one's life, thoughts and actions (works).

Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Change of mind/direction will naturally change one's life, thoughts and actions (works).
Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you believe that it is possible to lose your salvation by sinning too much, that is calling God a liar 1 John 5:10-13. Jesus never said conditional life, no he said I give them eternal life.
That's extream. Hyper grace is extream as well.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
the Greek word metanoia used in the Bible just means change of mind, in fact I have even heard false prophets explain this, that metanoia only means change of mind, yet they will still go on to say that you must also turn from your sins or stop sinning to be saved. it is baffling how people just add that in without thinking, I guess because they have heard it preached so much from false prophets who mindlessly repeat the "repent of your sin to be saved" lie, they just think that the Bible also must say turn from your sins to be saved when it doesn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That's extream. Hyper grace is extream as well.
Be blessed.
it is not hyper grace it is free grace, the Bible says that we are justified freely by his grace. Romans 3:24

you said quench the spirit and then you used the "I never knew you" from Matthew 7:23 out of context, when Matthew 7:21-23 is talking about works salvationists who Jesus never knew, it is not saying he used to know but then they lost it by sinning too much.

Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”

• Agree
Reactions: Siodoryn
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He never knew you from what I read are those that came out of the great tribulation. It says He gathers the nations. I won't be there. b He will never say that to me for He would have to lie. When He said "never" that means He never once knew them. Angels rejoice when just one comes to Christ. Then He tells the Father about me and He knows me. When Christ walked this earth .. I wonder what we think about just the 12. They were human in the flesh just like us. Yet He told them don't rejoice the demons are subject unto you but that your names "are" not maybe not could be blotted out but are written in heaven. My name is written in the Lambs book which no one has ever been blotted out of.

Sin when that's all I saw that I did and how my heart always condemned me. Me telling Him I am out of here.. He askes me "what is righteousness" well its right standing with God. He then asks me "how do you get righteousness?" By believing in Jesus. Do you see? I am never ever going to be holy sinless before God if I never sin or only if I repent. That is not how I am righteous. Jesus did it all. We are righteous in right standing before God because we believe in Jesus. He already died for the sin of the world. Sin does not keep me out of Heaven.. my name not written is why I am there. We uses words that we know are not meant to help uplift as in hyper grace or prosperity gospel and more. There is no such thing.. not in the word.

There is a preacher that is said to be "hyper grace". Yet never once has he ever said you can sin and never have to repent. Never said your fee to sin. Yet to this day this man of God gets made fun of. I only know one that spoke like this meaning you can sin all you want yet your still save and they are wrong in what they teach. It gets silly well were talking about the only true God and His grace. We man are telling others just how far just how much that grace really covers. Its the "heart" He sees not the flesh. All we are talking about is based on what we see in the natural not supernatural. Makes one wonder how they all made it back then. Well no NT to tell them anything about grace, or works, faith, gifts. That "gospel" was preached what Christ said and the OT.

The sweet sweet holy Spirit. The 120 that were waiting for the promise.. that promise was what? Christ praying to the Father to send them the holy Spirit. Not sure why today we don't need to ask for the Holy spirit. They were all saved didn't they already have the holy spirit. Its like we pick and choose what we want to believe. Christ talked about Salvation we believe that when He walked this earth. Then Christ aka GOD tells us if we ask Him for the holy Spirit He will give it. Seems real simple to me. So my sin does not keep me out of heaven.. hello He already died for it. When He found me I repented.. and had already died forgiven all my sin. Now that sin buts up a wall gives the enemy the right to do things in my life. My name is written no based on never sinned but because I believe, trust in Him. Its what He already did aka finished. The Father sees me through Christ.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And they will also say "you must feel convicted, there has to be that Holy Spirit conviction there" to be saved, but the only time conviction is mentioned in the Bible it is talking about unbelievers being convicted by their own conscience John 8:9
Good observation. Thanks.

I usually hear it described as "remorse", rather than "conviction".

As if there needs to be a sorrowfulness in the confession to be "true" repentance.
But how are such things measured? Was it "true" remorse? (conviction)
Did you only cry for five minutes when it should have been ten? (sigh)

Beware of the word "true" in reference to anything spiritual. IMHO
Often used to condemn other believers whose doctrines don't align perfectly with yours.

Oftentimes I think the word "repent" is used when "confession" is the correct word.
The problem is grammatical, not spiritual. (in most cases)

We also get hung up on the confession of sin. (singular)
As if remembering and confessing each individual sin is key to our "salvation".
"Do you have any unconfessed sins?" (if so, you're toast)

In my view, the recognition of our sinful state is confession enough.

If God is convicting us by the Holy Spirit of some specific act or attitude,
we need to deal with that individually. But the fear of unknown and
"unconfessed sins" is self-torment and not from God.

Repentance then, the turning away from our previous sinfulness,
is the natural (supernatural?) outcome of confession.
And should we "fall" back into sin, confession is once again available.
See 1 John 1:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... if ones works are filled with sin by "quenching" His Holy Spirit He will say " I never knew you."
That's a curious thing. How can the omniscient God not know anything, or anyone?

And interestingly, we are not told what it means to "quench" the Spirit.
See 1 Thessalonians 5:18-22 below.

Even MORE interesting is the fire of our restoration that is unquenchable.
See Mark 9:48-49 below.

1 Thessalonians 5:18-21 NIV
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt
21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

Mark 9:48-49 NIV
where “‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a curious thing. How can the omniscient God not know anything, or anyone?

And interestingly, we are not told what it means to "quench" the Spirit.
See 1 Thessalonians 5:18-22 below.

Even MORE interesting is the fire of our restoration that is unquenchable.
See Mark 9:48-49 below.

1 Thessalonians 5:18-21 NIV
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt
21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

Mark 9:48-49 NIV
where “‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.
It is curious however, this is directly from our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Matthew
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

And this is what is meant by not " quenching" His Holy Spirit. Paul does explain in the very verses you point out. Every believer has His Holy Spirit dwelling in them. He makes His Home in us therefore, Paul reminds us not to quench Him.

1 Thessalonians
15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

I agree the wheat and chaff will be fire tested.

Matthew
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. 9 And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father,’ for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. 10 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”

Last edited:
Lost Witness
Lost Witness
"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Reading scripture, keeping his commandments and obeying his 'still small voice' on the day you hear it is how you make it into the kingdom of heaven.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is curious however, this is directly from our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Thanks for your reply.
So, what does it mean to quench the Holy Spirit?
What behavior causes the quenching?
Are you appealing to Christian social mores and norms?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply.
So, what does it mean to quench the Holy Spirit?
What behavior causes the quenching?
Are you appealing to Christian social mores and norms?
Any action that hinders His transformative work in us. Basically the opposite of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Saint Steven
Saint Steven
That's a good response, thanks.
One of your "quenching" examples earlier were those who Christ said he "never knew".

That would mean quenching the Spirit leads to what you might call "eternal damnation"?
And now a violation of the fruit* of the Spirit, the same end?

* Note: the "fruit" of the Spirit is singular. Not like the gifts. (plural)
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,055,149.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If someone repents of their sin, they turn away from it; change direction. If you turn away from something, you turn towards something else.
Turning away from sin = rejecting it and the idea that we can get to heaven by our own good deeds.
The NT says that we die to sin; put to death the works of the flesh - put Christ first, instead of self.

Jesus' first recorded message was "repent and believe", Mark 1:15.
John the Baptist was told to prepare the way, and baptised people who confessed their sins.

Luke 13:5 says that unless you repent, you will perish.
What are people supposed to repent - change their minds about - if not sin and a lifestyle that puts them first?

The Gospel is Good News.
The bad news is that we are sinners and without God cannot have eternal life or go to heaven. The bad news is that the wages of sin is death, Romans 6:23. But the Good News is that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus.
Jesus died for our sins. Unless we talk to non Christians about sin, how it separates us from God and how we can never be good enough, there is no Good News.

Who is "they"?
Repentance of sin means changing your mind about, and turning from, sin. That is not a work. You are ceasing from doing something - sinning; putting self first.
The Ninevites turned from their evil ways - they tore their clothes, fasted and called upon God.
They changed direction. They repented.

Repenting of sins is a daily thing, not apart of our salvation,
Are you saying that if you were talking to a non Christian and they said, "I have done bad things and led a selfish life", you'd say to them, "don't worry about that; just accept Jesus"?
Jesus died for our sins.
Accepting Jesus means accepting that he shed his blood for our sins, Matthew 26:28, that he became sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21, that he has reconciled us by the cross, 2 Corinthians 5:18-20, that we have peace with God through him, Romans 5:1 and that he is the only way to the Father, John 14:6.
Those who accept Jesus have eternal life and have been saved from eternal separation from God.
after salvation we still must die daily, take up our cross, choose to walk in the spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, however we will never be sinlessly perfect until our flesh dies and we go to heaven, Apostle Paul still struggled with Sin, all the apostles sinned after they were saved, yet they all preached against sin, and they never once lost their salvation.

Sanctification - being made holy and changed in to Jesus' likeness, 2 Corinthians 3:18 - is an ongoing process, yes.
But unless we accept Jesus, turn from darkness and start to walk in the light, we do not belong to him.
Even non Christians will try to do their best, become better versions of themselves, break bad habits etc. That is not salvation if it is done apart from God. That is humanism.
Judas committed suicide after he "repented" but went to hell because he was never saved.
How do you know?
Judas was chosen by Jesus, heard his teachings, saw his miracles and was even sent out with the rest of the 12 to cast out demons. And remember, Satan cannot cast out Satan.
He betrayed Jesus, yes. Then he threw the money back at the chief priests, said that he had betrayed an innocent man and took his own life.
What evidence have you got that a) he is now in hell and b) he was never saved in the first place?
Believing in Jesus means far more than believing that he actually existed.
It means believing who he is:
the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, John 1:29.
the only way to the Father, John 14:6
The one who came to give his life as a ransom for many, Mark 10:45. (Who was holding us hostage?)
The one who came to seek and save the lost, Luke 19:10. (Who is lost and what do they need saving from?)
The one whose blood is of the New Covenant - see Jeremiah 31:34.

How can someone accept Jesus and not accept this?

• Winner
Upvote 0