Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wayne:
Looks like you've proven three things, all of which we already knew:
1. The VSL is one of the Great Lights in Masonry, part of the furniture of the lodge and the rule and guide to faith and practice.

2. A GL may choose any one of the various parts of the VSL to use in their lodges. All US lodges have chosen the Bible as their VSL, and their lodges cannot be considered open unless the Bible is opened, with the square and compasses on top of it. All three must be present. However, a candidate may choose another part of the VSL for his ceremonies, and the rituals are modified accordingly.

3. The VSL is just a symbol of the will of God as it is expressed to man. Masonically, there is no difference between the Bible and Koran as both are just symbols of that will.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess. Cordially, Skip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Simplicity + Sincerity = Serenity
Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The VSL is one of the Great Lights in Masonry, part of the furniture of the lodge and the rule and guide to faith and practice.

Well, not exactly. What I showed, and which you have yet to realize, it seems, is that in the US, the Holy Bible IS one of the Great Lights, part of the furniture, and IS the rule and guide to faith and practice.

Anything else would be an exception and a "substitute," applicable only to the individual who made the request for it.

A GL may choose any one of the various parts of the VSL

No, a GL may choose A VSL, not "a part" of it, there is no such thing. What you fail to see is, (1) your choice pet phrase, like Jacob's staircase and authoritative pictures, does not exist in Masonry, it's a figment of your fertile (and inventive) imagination; and (2) the statements posted clearly refute such a claim. Heck, you even posted a statement refuting this claim yourself, in your point enumerated second in the list. Your inconsistency shows, too, first you said:

A GL may choose any one of the various parts of the VSL

and then:

All US lodges have chosen the Bible as their VSL

So first, what they chose was defined by you as a "part of the VSL"; then, what they chose was "their VSL." You can't even see your own confusion.

The VSL is just a symbol of the will of God as it is expressed to man.

Which, since "VSL" has to with the faith which one already professes, says nothing more and nothing less than, "Christians see the Bible as the symbol of the will of God," "Muslims see the Koran as the symbol of the will of Allah," etc. etc. They do a better job of stating the obvious, it seems, than you do in perceiving it.

Masonically, there is no difference between the Bible and Koran as both are just symbols of that will.

Not really true, since interpretation lies with the individual in Masonry. To the individual, that statement is simply not true. Masonry's position is one of neutrality--why? For the preservation of the religious liberty of the individual. Seems to me they take a similar position to the one established in this nation in 1776.

Upvote 0

O.F.F.

An Ex-Mason for Jesus
Jan 22, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wayne said:
Freemasonry is not a religion--but if we were to make of it one, based on (1) the religious expression it contains; and (2) the only places where it goes beyond its supposed "neutral" stance and affirms anything specific about God beyond "Architect," i.e. Creator, or anything more specific about a sacred book than "Volume of Sacred Law"; then what religion would it have to be?

That is an easy answer; Pseudo-, counterfeit, fake, bogus, or in other words, "spurious-Christianity!!!!" Making it no more orthodox than Mormonism, the Watch Tower Society, or any other "spurious" form of Christianity. A true pastor, who really knows Freemasonry and biblical Christianity, but his loyalty is based upon his dedication to the truth of Scripture and the gospel, the exclusivity of Jesus Christ and the God of the Bible would NOT even have to ask such an absurd question.

Upvote 0
R

RickardoHolmes

Interesting Posts.
I was involved in FreeMasonry for a long time. I did enjoy parts of it. I got into it hoping for something more mystical or enlightening than I found. That is NOT why I got out though.

As far as the Bible Content or any religious aspects, that does not interest or matter to me. That is all Non-issue . What happened was that while as a great charitable organization, one which is to help out brothers and families in need etc, when I suffered some major financial setbacks Due to health related bills (which I will not go into here) I ofund myself on the edge of Bankruptcy (not in Bankruptcy but close to it) Without money to pay Lodge Dues. So I found out that the policy, or rather the act of helping a brother out by providing his money for lodge dues DOES NOT apply equally to all members. In fact, it is probably not a written policy, probably more something they might be encouraged or asked to do to help out others, although there is talk of contributing to the relief of poor and penniless masons. Well, when I was poor and penniless, relief did not come and I was dropped for non-payment of dues. Years Later,now that I am not so penniless and poor, I am not so Sure I want to be part of it. And it has nothing to do with any religious teaching or retraints, it has to do with the fact that when I asked for help, when I asked for friends, well help ad friends suddenly weren't there. I am not whining or complaining, I am just pointing this out.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A true pastor, who really knows Freemasonry and biblical Christianity, but his loyalty is based upon his dedication to the truth of Scripture and the gospel, the exclusivity of Jesus Christ and the God of the Bible would NOT even have to ask such an absurd question.
Absurd? The only thing absurd is your response. So here they are again, Mike, the mentions in Ahiman Rezon here in our lodges. Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out some specifics for us, to help us understand exactly which ones are comparable to "Mormonism, or Watchtower"; and while you're at it, point out for us exactly WHY you consider them to be comparable to those two organizations:

OPENING PRAYER

Most holy and glorious Lord God, the great Architect of the Universe, the Giver of all good gifts and graces! (James 1:17) Thou hast promised that "where two or three are gathered together in Thy name Thou wilt be in the midst of them and bless them." (Matthew 18:20)

CLOSING PRAYER

Supreme Architect of the Universe! Accept our humble thanks for the many mercies and blessings which Thy bounty has conferred on us, (2 Corinthians 9:5)
and especially for this friendly and social intercourse. Pardon, we beseech Thee, whatever Thou hast seen amiss in us since we have been together, (James 4:3) and continue to us Thy presence, protection, and blessing.

BENEDICTION AT CLOSING

May the blessing of Heaven rest upon us and all regular Masons! May brotherly love prevail, (Hebrews 13:1) and every moral and social virtue cement us!

ENTRY UPON THE 1ST DEGREE

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.--Psalm CXXXIII

Our Institution is said to be supported, by WISDOM, STRENGTH and BEAUTY; because it is necessary there should be wisdom to contrive, strength to support and beauty to adorn, all great and important undertakings. Its dimensions are unlimited, and its covering no less than the canopy of heaven. (Isaiah 40:22)
To this object the Mason's mind is continually directed, and thither he hopes at last to arrive by the aid of the theological ladder, which Jacob, in his vision, saw ascending from earth to heaven; (Gen. 28:10-22) the three principal rounds of which are denominated FAITH, HOPE and CHARITY, (1 Cor. 13:13) and which admonish us to have faith in God, (Mark 11:22, 1 Pet. 1:21) hope in immortality, (1 Cor. 15:54) and charity to all mankind. (Gal. 6:10)

ENTRY UPON THE SECOND DEGREE

Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumb-line, with a plumb-line in his hand.
And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumb-line. Then said the LORD, Behold, I will set a plumb-line in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more.--Amos VII, 7,8.

CHARGE AT CLOSING

Let the world observe how Masons love one another. (1 John 4:7) These generous principles are to extend further. Every human being has a claim upon your kind offices. Do good unto all. Recommend it more especially "to the household of the faithful." (Galatians 6:10)
By diligence in the duties of your respective callings; by liberal benevolence and diffusive charity; by constancy and fidelity in your friendships, discover the beneficial and happy effects of this ancient and honorable Institution. Let it not be supposed that you have here labored in vain (1 Cor. 15:54) and spent your strength for naught; for your work is with the Lord and your recompense with God. (Ruth 2:12)

Finally, brethren, be ye all of one mind; live in peace, and may the God of love and peace delight to dwell with and bless you! (2 Cor. 13:11)

ENTRY UPON THIRD DEGREE

Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:
In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened,
And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;
Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.--Ecclesiastes XII, 1-7.

PRAYER AT RAISING

Thou, O God! knowest our down-sitting and our uprising, and understandest our thought afar off. . .(Psalm 139:2, Job 14:1-11, Isa. 45:17 )

BENEDICTION AT THE LAYING OF A CORNER STONE

Glory be to God on High, and on earth peace, good will toward men! (Luke 2:14)
O Lord, we most heartily beseech Thee with Thy favor to behold and bless this assemblage. Pour down Thy mercies, like the dew that falls upon the mountains, (Psa. 133:3) upon Thy servants engaged in the solemn ceremonies of this day. Bless, we pray Thee, all the workmen who shall be engaged in the erection of this edifice; keep them from all forms of accident and harm, and grant them health and prosperity while they live. And finally, we pray that when our earthly toils and labors are ended we may all, through Thy mercy, wisdom and forgiveness, attain everlasting joy (Isa. 35:10) and felicity in the mansions prepared for us (John 14:2-3) in that temple not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Amen. (2 Cor. 5:1)

AT THE DEDICATION OF A MASONIC HALL

In the name of the Great Jehovah, to whom be all honor and glory, I do solemnly dedicate this Hall to Freemasonry.

INVOCATION AT DEDICATION OF A MASONIC HALL

And may the Lord, the giver of every good and perfect gift, (James 1:17)
bless the brethren here assembled, in all their lawful undertakings, and grant to each one of them in needful supply, the Corn of nourishment, the Wine of refreshment, and the Oil of joy. Amen. (CORN, WINE, AND OIL: Deu. 7:13, 11:14, 14:23, 18:4, 28:51, 2 Chr. 31:5, 32:28, Neh. 5:11, 13:5, 13:12, Hosea 2:8, 2:22, Joel 1:10, Haggai 1:11; OIL OF JOY: Isaiah 61:3)

BENEDICTION AT FUNERAL

Now may the presence, comfort and strength of our Heavenly Father and the peace that passeth all understanding (Philippians 4:7) abide with us all, now and always. AMEN.

INVOCATION AT LODGE OF SORROW

"Almighty and Eternal God, (Deu. 33:27) in Whom we live, and move, and have our being, (Acts 17:28) we pray that Thou will grant each of us health, happiness, and well being in the coming year. We hold the hope that each of us and all our Brothers whom we hold dear, will be present when we close this Lodge of Sorrow at the end of its appointed time. But should it be your will to call for workmen from among our ranks, then help those remaining to see the Wisdom in Your choice. (Chaplain may add further words as he sees fit.) AMEN"

Just after the reading of Psalm 133 in the EA ritual, we find:

The great teaching of this Psalm is Brotherly Love, that virtue which forms the most prominent tenet of the Masonic Order. And it teaches the lesson, too, precisely as we do, by a symbol, comparing it to the precious ointment used in the consecration of the High Priest, whose delightful perfume filled the whole place with its odor. The ointment was poured upon the head in such quantity, that, being directed by the anointer in different ways in the form of a cross, it flowed at length down the beard, and finally dropped from the flowing skirts of the priestly garment.
The fifteen Psalms, from the 120th to the 134th, inclusive, of which this, of course, is one, are called by the Hebrews, "songs of degrees," because they were sung on the fifteen steps ascending from the court of Israel to the court of the women of the Temple. (Ahiman Rezon 2003, p. 66-67)

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following passage of Scripture is here used:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be Light; and there was Light. (AR, p. 71)

But what mind can conceive, or what pen portray, that terrible convulsion of nature, that awful disentanglement of its elements, which must have accompanied the Divine command, "Let there be Light!" The attempt to describe it would be a presumptuous task. We feel, when we meditate on the subject, that stillness and silence must have fled before the Almighty Voice, and the earth itself have trembled in its new existence, when the gloomy pall of darkness was rolled as a curtain from the face of nature. (p. 72)

When at last your trembling soul stands naked and alone before the Great Judgment, may it be your portion to hear from Him who is the Judge Supreme: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant, enter now into the joys of the Lord." (p. 76)

The Operative Masons at Jerusalem, from whom we date our origin, were occupied in the construction of an earthly and material temple, to be dedicated to the service and worship of God--a house in which the mighty Jehovah was to dwell visibly by the Shekinah, and whence He was by Urim and Thummim, to send forth His oracles for the government and direction of His chosen people.
The Speculative Mason is engaged in the construction of a spiritual temple in his heart, pure and spotless, fit for the dwelling place of Him who is the author of purity; where God is to be worshipped in spirit and in truth, and whence every evil thought and unruly passion are to be banished, as the sinner and the Gentile were excluded from the sanctuary of the Jewish Temple.
In the symbolic language of Masonry, therefore, the twenty-four inch gauge is a symbol of time well employed; the common gavel, of the purification of the heart. (p. 79-80)

Various passages of Scripture are referred to in this section as elucidating the traditions of Masonry on the subject of the Temple.
And we will cut wood out of Lebanon, as much as thou shalt need; and we will bring it to thee in floats by sea to Joppa; and thou shalt carry it up to Jeruslem.--2 Chron. II, 16. (p. 82)

And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither; so that there was neither hammer, nor axe, nor any tool of iron heard in the house while it was in building.--1 Kings VI, 7. (p. 83)

Josephus says, "The whole structure of the Temple was made with great skill, of polished stones, and those laid together so very harmoniously and smoothly, that there appeared to the spectators no sign of any hammer or any other instrument of architecture, but as if, without any use of them, the entire materials had naturally united themselves together, so that the agreement of one part with another seemed rather to have been natural, than to have arisen from the force of tools upon them." (p. 83)

Now this was the manner in former time in Israel governing redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbor; and this was a testimony in Israel.--Ruth IV, 7 (p. 84)

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.--Matthew VII, 7. (p. 84)

The idea, that the Lodge is a symbol of the world, is still carried out. It was the belief of the ancients that the heavens, or the roof of the world, was supported by pillars. By these pillars, some suppose that the mountains are alluded; but in reference to a passage in Job XXVI, 11, where it is said "The pillars of heaven tremble," Noyes thinks that "it is more probable that heaven is represented as an immense edifice, supported on lofty columns, like a temple." (p. 91)

P. 92 (entire page) is an artist's depiction of Jacob's ladder as described in his dream. I've tried to locate information about the source of the picture but to no avail. A small inscription of a name can be seen in the lower right, and magnified, it appears to be "Jecorhous," but an internet search produced no result.
A Lodge is situated due east and west, because, when Moses crossed the Red Sea, being pursued by Pharaoh and his host, he erected on the other side, by divine command, a tabernacle, which he placed due east and west, to receive the first rays of the rising sun, and to commemorate that mighty east wind by which their miraculous deliverance was effected. This tabernacle was an exact pattern of King Solomon's Temple, of which every Lodge is a representation, and it is, or ought, therefore, to be placed due east and west. (p. 99-100)

In six days God created the heavens and the earth, and rested upon the seventh day; the seventh, therefore, our ancient brethren consecrated as a day of rest from their labors; thereby enjoying frequent opportunities to contemplate the glorious works of creation, and to adore their great Creator. (p. 114)

For he cast two pillars of brass, of eighteen cubits high apiece; and a line of twelve cubits did compass either of them about.--1 Kings VII, 15. (p. 114)

Also he made before the house two pillars of thirty and five cubits high, and the chapiter that was on the top of each of them was five cubits.--2 Chron. III, 15. (p. 114)

And he made two chapiters of of molten brass, to set upon the tops of the pillars; the height of the chapiter three cubits; the height of the one chapiter was five cubits, and the height of the other chapiter was five cubits.--1 Kings VII, 16. (p. 114)

The height of the one pillar was eighteen cubits, and the chapiter upon it was brass; and the height of the chapiter three cubits; and the wreathen work, and pomegranates upon the chapiter around about, all of brass; and like unto these had the second pillar with wreathen work.--2 Kings XXV, 16. (p. 114)

The discrepancy as to the height of the pillars as given in the book of Kings and in Chronicles is to be reconciled by supposing that in the book of Kings the pillars are spoken of separately, and that in Chronicles their aggregate height is calculated; and the reason that in this latter book their united height is placed at 35 cubits, instead of 36, which would be the double of 18, is because they are there measured as they appear with the chapiters upon them. Now half a cubit of each pillar was concealed in what Dr. Lightfoot calls "the hole of the chapiter," that is, half a cubit's depth of the lower edge of the chapiter covered the top of the pillar, making each pillar apparently only 17 1/2 cubits high, or the two, 35 cubits, as laid down in the book of Chronicles.
In a similar way we reconcile the difference as to the height of the chapiters. In 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles the chapiters are said to be five cubits high, while in 2 Kings their height is described as being only three cubits. But it will be noticed that it immediately follows in the same place, that "there was a wreathen work and pomegranates upon the chapiter around about." Now the expression is conclusive that the height of the chapiters was estimated exclusive and independent of the wreathen work round about them, which was two cubits more, and this added to the three cubits of the chapiter proper, will make the five cubits spoken of in all other parts of Scripture. (p. 114-16)

Here a symbol of Plenty is introduced, and proper explanations are given as to the proper answers to the following questions:
What does it denote?
How was it represented?
Why was it instituted?

The passages of Scripture which are referred to in this part of the section will be found in Judges XII, 1-6. The Vulgate version gives a periphrastic translation of a part of the 6th verse, as follows: "Say, therefore, Shibboleth, which being interpreted is an ear of corn." the same word in Hebrew signifies a rapid stream of water, from the root SHaBaL, to flow copiously. The too common error of speaking, in this part of the ritual, of a "water-ford" instead of a "water-fall," which is the correct word, must be carefully avoided. A water-fall is an emblem of plenty, because it indicates an abundance of water. A water-ford, for the converse reason, is, if any symbol at all, a symbol of scarcity. (p. 127-28)

Immediately following the monitorial degree work, is a section detailing the qualities of a Mason, with this description:
As the Bible is the first Great Light presented to a candidate, the following quotations from that inspired book are recommended to his previous perusal:

"Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
"He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
"He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbor, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbor.
"In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoreth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own heart, and changeth not.
"He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent." Psalm XV.
"Who shall ascend into the hills of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
He that hath clean hands and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully."--Psalm XXIV, 3, 4.
"What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?
"Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
"Depart from evil and do good; seek peace, and pursue it."--Psalm XXXIV, 12-14.
Then let the candidate prepare himself to say:
"I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue; I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me."--Psalm XXXIX, 1.
"I will wash mine hands in innocency; so will I compass thine altar, O Lord."--Psalm XXVI, 6.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting Posts.
I was involved in FreeMasonry for a long time. I did enjoy parts of it. I got into it hoping for something more mystical or enlightening than I found. That is NOT why I got out though.

As far as the Bible Content or any religious aspects, that does not interest or matter to me. That is all Non-issue . What happened was that while as a great charitable organization, one which is to help out brothers and families in need etc, when I suffered some major financial setbacks Due to health related bills (which I will not go into here) I ofund myself on the edge of Bankruptcy (not in Bankruptcy but close to it) Without money to pay Lodge Dues. So I found out that the policy, or rather the act of helping a brother out by providing his money for lodge dues DOES NOT apply equally to all members. In fact, it is probably not a written policy, probably more something they might be encouraged or asked to do to help out others, although there is talk of contributing to the relief of poor and penniless masons. Well, when I was poor and penniless, relief did not come and I was dropped for non-payment of dues. Years Later,now that I am not so penniless and poor, I am not so Sure I want to be part of it. And it has nothing to do with any religious teaching or retraints, it has to do with the fact that when I asked for help, when I asked for friends, well help ad friends suddenly weren't there. I am not whining or complaining, I am just pointing this out.
I do not know the written policies of all jurisdictions, but I do know that in South Carolina, and in our lodge in particular, coming to the relief of a worthy and distressed brother has been paramount in our concerns. With the help of the Grand Lodge, our lodge helped out a brother financially who could not pay all of his medical bills. Our lodge pooled money, time, and resources to rebuild a bathroom for a destitute brother. And the list goes on. Maybe there was some bad blood, or maybe it was a regional issue--I don't know. All I can say (and I have said this repeatedly on this forum) is that the Freemasons with whom I have interacted have been kind, friendly, and charitable. They are not all like that, but I do speak about the majority. If I ever had a problem or an issue, I would have no hesitation to turn to my Masonic brothers for aid. And if one came to me, I would happily help him out if it was within my power or means.

Upvote 0
R

RickardoHolmes

I do not know the written policies of all jurisdictions, but I do know that in South Carolina, and in our lodge in particular, coming to the relief of a worthy and distressed brother has been paramount in our concerns. With the help of the Grand Lodge, our lodge helped out a brother financially who could not pay all of his medical bills. Our lodge pooled money, time, and resources to rebuild a bathroom for a destitute brother. And the list goes on. Maybe there was some bad blood, or maybe it was a regional issue--I don't know. All I can say (and I have said this repeatedly on this forum) is that the Freemasons with whom I have interacted have been kind, friendly, and charitable. They are not all like that, but I do speak about the majority. If I ever had a problem or an issue, I would have no hesitation to turn to my Masonic brothers for aid. And if one came to me, I would happily help him out if it was within my power or means.

Well, I wish you had been there, and it was not South Carolina either, it was Texas, and I am certain that in the past some brothers have been assisted, but for whatever reason unknown to me, I was not, and again, I cannot speak badly or speak of any bad blood, I just do not know.

But now that I am not poor and penniless, I am faced with paying back dues and reapplying (I am told that since I live out of state I will have to be re-examined as well) I am just not sure I want to anymore. I want to be part of the fraternity, but at the same time, look what happened so far? Do I really want to be part of it?
Thanks for your response and time. I greatly appreciate your insight.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the typical criticisms we face is, that Masonic charity is largely given to Masons, so I find your situation to be very unusual. One question that comes to mind, how aware were they of your situation? I ask that because, a couple of years ago I too was on the verge of bankruptcy, and the only way I avoided it was by checking into our state laws and making a decision to avail myself of another route. But through it all, I'm fairly certain that no one from either my church or my lodge was aware of it in the least. I guess I'm just saying, unless you specifically told someone of your plight, you can't assume they knew.

But then, if they did, I'm reminded also that humans are humans wherever you are, and you can get burnt in any organization and in any location. It need not, however, be taken as the norm, although that is our natural human tendency. As I was about to leave seminary for the ministry, I recall coming across a former pastor who cautioned me that "there are some of the meanest people in the world in the churches." Surely the fact that he got burnt once had flavored his opinion. And while I've experinced that to some degree, my experience, thankfully, has been quite the contrary overall.

Jim already shared that he hasn't had that kind of experience here in SC, and I can concur with him. In my current church, we have a family who is split between two local churches. The wife is a member of our church, but the husband is the member of a Baptist church near their home, where he has had his membership all his life. They used to take turns attending each other's church, then in their later years began attending separately. Recently he had a stroke, was in the hospital and rehab for awhile, then it was discovered he had a massive blood clot near the lungs, which of course would go straight to the heart if dislodged, adn he was released to go home. The prognosis was not good, and people began to pray. Next time a scan was done, the clot was nowhere to be found and he began to improve, but slowly.

During this ongoing development, some men in our church, some of whom are Masons, got together and went to their house and built a handicap ramp. I was amazed to watch this development, by a group of men, most Masons, some not, but all churchmen, as they stepped up to the plate for someone who was not only not a Mason, but not even a member of our church.

Maybe it's that rural mindset, or deep south down-home disposition or something, but I really can't imagine it being different in Texas. One of my best seminary buddies was from Post, Texas. He took a liking to me the first time he heard me say I was "fixing to" do something, said he thought that was pure Texas stuff till then.

I understand your dilemma, and can understand also the reluctance concerning the fees, dues, etc. I can't relate to that firsthand as regards Masonry, as those things are gratis here for ministers. But I can relate to a reluctance to throw good money after bad. The only thing I can really think of that seems to apply, is remembering how God gave me a second chance when no one else would. I figure there's something about second chances that's important to Him, and no matter how I feel about some things, I generally try to keep an attitude that second chances are always worth it. If the second time aroun doesn't seem worth it either, there's always the option out. And you wouldn't have that prospect of always wondering "what if?"

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I wish you had been there, and it was not South Carolina either, it was Texas, and I am certain that in the past some brothers have been assisted, but for whatever reason unknown to me, I was not, and again, I cannot speak badly or speak of any bad blood, I just do not know.

But now that I am not poor and penniless, I am faced with paying back dues and reapplying (I am told that since I live out of state I will have to be re-examined as well) I am just not sure I want to anymore. I want to be part of the fraternity, but at the same time, look what happened so far? Do I really want to be part of it?
Thanks for your response and time. I greatly appreciate your insight.

One other thing to check is the dues situation. In SC, regardless of how many years you may have gone NPD, you only need pay the prior year's dues and the current year's dues. I'm not sure about the other details as they may vary by jurisdiction.

As for continuing, my honest advice is that unless you are committed to participating, maybe it would be better to focus on family, church, or self-education or improvement. Freemasonry is not for all men, and there's no shame in deciding to focus your time elsewhere. But should you decide to re-join, I'm confident that you will be welcomed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand your dilemma, and can understand also the reluctance concerning the fees, dues, etc. I can't relate to that firsthand as regards Masonry, as those things are gratis here for ministers.
You pay no dues to any of the Masonic organizations to which you belong? Is that a local thing or a GL reg? Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You pay no dues to any of the Masonic organizations to which you belong? Is that a local thing or a GL reg? Cordially, Skip.
It is a policy left to the ruling of the local Blue Lodge. In South Carolina, many lodges do not charge pastors dues, however the lodge is still responsible to pay the Grand Lodge its fees, so the members collectively defray that cost. I cannot speak to other jurisdictions, nor can I speak to any other organization outside the Blue Lodge.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You pay no dues to any of the Masonic organizations to which you belong? Is that a local thing or a GL reg?
Up until a couple of years ago, I made it a policy to emulate the practice of the fellow minister who was Master of the lodge where I joined, that even though not required to do so, I paid the same dues as anyone else. When it came to York Rite, I had expressed interest in it to my neighbor, who happened to be a P.M.I.G.M., and the next time I saw him, he told me that if I was still interested, he would pick up the fees for all the degree work. So I take it the fees still apply, even if the dues do not.
When I took an interest in the research lodge, I didn't even check to see about any such policy, I went to the website, downloaded the form, and sent in a fee for 3-year membership plus all available copies of their Transactions, $100 as I recall. I just recently sent in the fee for renewal.

Two or three years ago, I ran into some difficulties (health issues with my wife, behavioral issues with my son) and found it impossible to maintain regular attendance. The men involved in the York Rite degree work were most gracious in making allowances, I picked up some of the degrees at another YR body who did the courtesy work, and then waited for a short period until the next round of candidates came through, and finished up the Commandery by joining in at the end of a one-day conferral at Charleston.

The statement for the exemption policy can be found in Article 82 of the Constitution:

No membership dues or fees for degrees shall be paid for ministers of God when not required of them by the Lodge.

Article 83 sets the amounts for degree fees, and adds:

Provided, That a Lodge may, by its Rules or By-Laws, provide for and confer the degrees upon ministers of God for a less sum, or without any fees.

The same statement appears in the Code:

SEC. 142. Ministers of God.—The Lodges in this jurisdiction are not required to pay to the Grand Lodge membership dues or dues for degrees conferred on ministers of God, unless the same are required of them by the Subordinate Lodge.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a policy left to the ruling of the local Blue Lodge. In South Carolina, many lodges do not charge pastors dues, however the lodge is still responsible to pay the Grand Lodge its fees, so the members collectively defray that cost. I cannot speak to other jurisdictions, nor can I speak to any other organization outside the Blue Lodge.
That's not quite how I read it in the Code, but maybe it's just the way I'm reading it:

SEC. 142. Ministers of God.—The Lodges in this jurisdiction are not required to pay to the Grand Lodge membership dues or dues for degrees conferred on ministers of God, unless the same are required of them by the Subordinate Lodge.
Seems to say, the local lodge pays no dues for anyone exempt under the bylaw, and pays only if the local lodge has no such exemption.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not quite how I read it in the Code, but maybe it's just the way I'm reading it:
Seems to say, the local lodge pays no dues for anyone exempt under the bylaw, and pays only if the local lodge has no such exemption.
Thank you for the correction. But my understanding is that while the lodges don't pay the dues, they are still responsible for the "per capita" fees to the Grand Lodge. Again, I don't know the specifics--I'm only relaying what I think I heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RickardoHolmes

One of the typical criticisms we face is, that Masonic charity is largely given to Masons, so I find your situation to be very unusual. One question that comes to mind, how aware were they of your situation? I ask that because, a couple of years ago I too was on the verge of bankruptcy, and the only way I avoided it was by checking into our state laws and making a decision to avail myself of another route. But through it all, I'm fairly certain that no one from either my church or my lodge was aware of it in the least. I guess I'm just saying, unless you specifically told someone of your plight, you can't assume they knew.

But then, if they did, I'm reminded also that humans are humans wherever you are, and you can get burnt in any organization and in any location. It need not, however, be taken as the norm, although that is our natural human tendency. As I was about to leave seminary for the ministry, I recall coming across a former pastor who cautioned me that "there are some of the meanest people in the world in the churches." Surely the fact that he got burnt once had flavored his opinion. And while I've experinced that to some degree, my experience, thankfully, has been quite the contrary overall.

Jim already shared that he hasn't had that kind of experience here in SC, and I can concur with him. In my current church, we have a family who is split between two local churches. The wife is a member of our church, but the husband is the member of a Baptist church near their home, where he has had his membership all his life. They used to take turns attending each other's church, then in their later years began attending separately. Recently he had a stroke, was in the hospital and rehab for awhile, then it was discovered he had a massive blood clot near the lungs, which of course would go straight to the heart if dislodged, adn he was released to go home. The prognosis was not good, and people began to pray. Next time a scan was done, the clot was nowhere to be found and he began to improve, but slowly.

During this ongoing development, some men in our church, some of whom are Masons, got together and went to their house and built a handicap ramp. I was amazed to watch this development, by a group of men, most Masons, some not, but all churchmen, as they stepped up to the plate for someone who was not only not a Mason, but not even a member of our church.

Maybe it's that rural mindset, or deep south down-home disposition or something, but I really can't imagine it being different in Texas. One of my best seminary buddies was from Post, Texas. He took a liking to me the first time he heard me say I was "fixing to" do something, said he thought that was pure Texas stuff till then.

I understand your dilemma, and can understand also the reluctance concerning the fees, dues, etc. I can't relate to that firsthand as regards Masonry, as those things are gratis here for ministers. But I can relate to a reluctance to throw good money after bad. The only thing I can really think of that seems to apply, is remembering how God gave me a second chance when no one else would. I figure there's something about second chances that's important to Him, and no matter how I feel about some things, I generally try to keep an attitude that second chances are always worth it. If the second time aroun doesn't seem worth it either, there's always the option out. And you wouldn't have that prospect of always wondering "what if?"

Just a thought.

Rev Wayne, I wish I had more people like you in my life. :clap:

I do not want to detract from the original purpose of this thread which was to talk about Biblical use in Masonry etc
Well I have to Thank You for the Time you took to write and the Insight you have. ABout 7 years ago, while living out of state, my oldest son was ill and with all that stress and medical bills (We had crummy insurance back then) We almost went Bankrupt. I want to say ALMOST
I did receive a letter from the Lodge in Texas telling me that I was being dropped etc. In the course of everything happening, it was some months before I responded. I did point out that I was having d some financial issues and a family illness, but did not go into a lot of personal details.
I never heard back.
A few years later, when I was able, I sent another letter to the Lodge requesting reinstatement. This was answered with a generic letter saying that if I paid the $200 and got reinvestigated by the Florida lodge then based on the results of that investigation, I could be Voted on for reinstatement. Notice, they did not say I would be reinstated, that I would be reconsidered. At this point, I again sent a letter explaining why I was dropped and how I had requested assistance the few years before, and I have yet to hear back from anyone in two years now. SO I checked the website for AF & AM of the Grand Lodge of Texas, found the same info there, thought about it, decided not to throw money into it (I am not much of a gambling man) ... But you have brought up some good points and I am taking what you suggested to heart.
Second chances are always good . (I liked the bumper sticker I saw yesterday that says "God Allows U-Turns" ) This could be a chance fro something good.

Please feel free to contact me in private. I do not want to further distract the good discourse you guys had going but I really appreciate you.

Upvote 0
R

RickardoHolmes

One other thing to check is the dues situation. In SC, regardless of how many years you may have gone NPD, you only need pay the prior year's dues and the current year's dues. I'm not sure about the other details as they may vary by jurisdiction.

As for continuing, my honest advice is that unless you are committed to participating, maybe it would be better to focus on family, church, or self-education or improvement. Freemasonry is not for all men, and there's no shame in deciding to focus your time elsewhere. But should you decide to re-join, I'm confident that you will be welcomed.

I also want to thank you for your imsight and advice and I am taking what I read here to heart. You are never wasting your time when we talk on this forum. THANK YOU for this.

I do have family that I take care of. I am not involved in church at present, but I could sure use a lot of self improvement and education, or self-education, well for me, that is life.
But there were many times that I attended the meetings and made a few friends that I enjoyed. Would it be the same now? I wonder and now I am thinking I need to at least find out.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the correction. But my understanding is that while the lodges don't pay the dues, they are still responsible for the "per capita" fees to the Grand Lodge. Again, I don't know the specifics--I'm only relaying what I think I heard.
Cool Beans!

Upvote 0

Crosssword

Dec 26, 2010
✟590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Transformation is a subtle process carried out through 33 degrees of initiation. I am familiar with them due to my father being involved, he was a 9=2 To Mega Therion, and I was a 6=5 Adeptus.

The very few who are at the high point of this pyramid are Luciferian masters who worship the devil. The serpent is the master of subtlety, leading the whole world into darkness one little brick at a time. Some also believe that the messiah and the serpent are the same. For one said "ye shall become as gods," and the other said "have I not said ye are as Gods?" Clearly we are Gods, but we did it through disobedience. Do not be beguiled to take what God will freely give you. The Lord can do everything Egypt can do, plus the plagues, and the parting of the red sea.

Beyond them are the ascended masters, who are shadow people with red glowing eyes. I've had a fair number of confrontations with them too. Even Jesus said that satan is the lord of this world. Therefore the masons who have secretly built this world are his disciples, many unknowingly. Perhaps what is most confusing is that the black, white, and yellow illuminati all use YHVH, or the power of God.

Let's consider history as the Bible proclaims it:

1) Garden of Eden - up until "the sons of god came upon the daughters of man"
2) Demonic intervention resulting in God flooding the world, saving very few
3) Rescue out of Egypt, and Israels glory
4) Jesus Christ dies for our sins, up through satans blasphemous age of catholicism
5) Demonic intervention resulting in the great tribulation
6) Rescue out of tribulation, destruction via fire, and Israels ressurection
7) The holy rest of God

Going back to Eden - God's curses are wearing off

1) The woman's desire is no longer to her husband
2) The enmity between the serpents and women has been done away with
3) Man no longer has to till the ground. In the modern age everything is convenient
4) The serpent has once again become the dragon
5) Many are rejecting the knowledge to discern good from evil, believing themselves to be perfect
6) Death will be undone. (In those days shall men seek death and not find it)
7) God returns to walk among us

As the whole world become Egypt, God will therefore rapture us out of Egypt. And as the face of the whole world become Israel, Jesus will come with 10,000 of his saints! And as the whole world become mystery babylon, profaning God's sacred promise within the rainbow, so shall the prince of the powers of the air and all his followers be fed to the fire. Air evaporates water, fire consumes air! Clouds they are, without water. They will not escape the fire.

Just as Abraham and the prophets introduced their wives as their sisters, lest they be killed. So has Jesus out-jewed the jews by introducing us as sisters, then reclaiming us as his bride. Baptized in Water, with Gods holy promise not to destroy them, an absolute requirement for salvation.

Ye who hail Solomon, and his harem of 1000 pagan wives, lo and behold there is one greater then Solomon! Thank you lord for hiding these things from the wise and revealing them onto babes. For the lord shall crush the wise with the things of fools. Jesus has a score to settle with Solomon.

What profiteth a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Make no mistake, masonry is the king of all pyramid scams. These are they who have killed God's children throughout every single age.

Atlantis sunk, the tower of babel fell, your new atlanean order with it's 19 levels of angelic healers and 9 anunnaki nephilim king ringwraiths of old, is going to be strike 3.

Want to know where all these occult lies come from: http://watch.pair.com/zodiac.html
The chapter on Virgo is especially interesting. Lo, those who worship the mother goddess, the feminine form of satan, astraea, who is within the sacred circle with the sword of blue flame. You seek to turn nothing into something, but this beast from the sea will not subdue the Lord. Lemuria, thou art fallen! Sitra Ahra, thou art nothing!

Lo, Ye were given 10 commandments, but ye turn and worship ten unholy sephiroth. No amount of wisdom will save you from sin. All of your knowledge floats in the event horizon of the Abyss, and ye worship Appollyon, angel of the bottomless pit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but you seem to have gotten lost on your quest for the seven dwarven rings. Why don't you pause, take a deep breath, and everything you just said, divide by four and subtract three, then close your eyes, and while spinning three times in a circle, chant "there's no place like Ragnarok," then go down the hall and take the last door on the left.

Upvote 0