the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I suspect Beto isn't trying for the Senate in 2020 is that it will be a tough election for a Democrat to win. From what I recall seeing, all things being equal, in a Texas statewide race, Republicans have at least an 8% advantage. That is an almost impossible deficit to overcome.

Beto thought he had a shot against Sen. Cruz because Cruz is not well liked as a Senator -- his "favorability" in Texas tends to be negative. When it comes to Sen. Cornyn, he has a much better approval rating and so will likely be almost impossible to beat in Texas.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, Beto isn't good enough to give him a reasonable chance to make up 8% in 21 months, with lots of money from everywhere. If that is the case, he certainly shouldn't be considered as a candidate for president. I say this as a liberal Democrat. The "best use" of Beto is to attempt to win a Senate seat. There are lots of presidential candidates with at least as a good a chance of winning nationally than a white man from Texas who can't win a Senate seat in his own state.

The reason I suspect Beto isn't trying for the Senate in 2020 is that it will be a tough election for a Democrat to win. From what I recall seeing, all things being equal, in a Texas statewide race, Republicans have at least an 8% advantage. That is an almost impossible deficit to overcome.

Beto thought he had a shot against Sen. Cruz because Cruz is not well liked as a Senator -- his "favorability" in Texas tends to be negative. When it comes to Sen. Cornyn, he has a much better approval rating and so will likely be almost impossible to beat in Texas.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
So, Beto isn't good enough to give him a reasonable chance to make up 8% in 21 months, with lots of money from everywhere. If that is the case, he certainly shouldn't be considered as a candidate for president. I say this as a liberal Democrat. The "best use" of Beto is to attempt to win a Senate seat. There are lots of presidential candidates with at least as a good a chance of winning nationally than a white man from Texas who can't win a Senate seat in his own state.

Is our benchmark on who would be a good Democratic candidate if they can win Texas? The last one to win that state was Carter and I suspect that has a lot to do with how absolutely unpopular Ford was in the country.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's probably correct to say and a good reason why the party wont rally around him for VP if he thinks he has a shot at the position. My impression is also that there are a lot of contenders who are more effective campaigners than Beto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As a liberal Democrat you should know that while metropolitan and south Texas are trending purple, it still is a very red and tribalist state. As simply me astutely pointed out Beto had a chance because Cruz is unpopular among Republicans though he's still "their guy".

Cornyn is very popular among Republicans and a large number of right leaning Independents. There's no way the Democratic candidate is going to beat him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've analyzed Democratic politics for over 60 years. My conclusion may be many things, but I don't that it is silly. My belief is that Beto on the ticket as VP would not add to the likelihood of winning, compared to other candidates available at the time. And yes, the number may not be zero, but I do believe that it is close.

That is silly talk if you believe that.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm confused. Why do you think that 60 years of being a Humphrey/Bill Clinton liberal Democrat makes my analysis skewed against Beto?

Your analysis skews because of your political beliefs. Beto would offer a tremendous benefit if VP'ing for a more moderate Dem of stature.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused. Why do you think that 60 years of being a Humphrey/Bill Clinton liberal Democrat makes my analysis skewed against Beto?
I'm not a Humphrey/Clinton Liberal Democrat and I agree with you. I like the man, but his present notoriety is not enough.

Upvote 0