St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Interesting remarks, guys. Beto has you concerned. If you think he is not a contender if he gets on the ticket, then your dreams will come true if you are right.

You are not, though.
? If he gets on the ticket I would certainly support him. I just don't think he's front runner right now.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This guy is Obama all over again...

Mind you, I voted for Obama twice. Shame on me.

--

About the best candidate the Democrats have is Tulsi Gabbard, and look how the media threw water on that fire almost instantly. You'll get your prepackaged media creation again.. and more likely, he'll (or she'll) do what banks and warmongers want.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Democrats need to win Senate seats. If Beto is so popular and such a good campaigner, why isn't he running for the Senate in 2020?

Ditto for Stacey Abrams in Georgia.

They both should. I think I read recently that Beto was taking on Cornyn?

Good. Cornyn should not let the door hit him where the good Lord split him.
Ringo

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, Beto isn't good enough to give him a reasonable chance to make up 8% in 21 months, with lots of money from everywhere. If that is the case, he certainly shouldn't be considered as a candidate for president. I say this as a liberal Democrat. The "best use" of Beto is to attempt to win a Senate seat. There are lots of presidential candidates with at least as a good a chance of winning nationally than a white man from Texas who can't win a Senate seat in his own state.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Think of it this way -- people often say that Republicans automatically get 35% of the vote, and Democrats about 35% of the vote. In Texas, it is more like Republicans get 43% of the vote, and that Democrats are more like 25-30%. So, that means that Beto needs at least two thirds or so of the Independent vote.

What Beto did in Texas was very impressive. To give you an idea, a Democrat has not won a Senate seat in Texas in 30 years, and Beto's loss by 2.5% was the closest Senate race in Texas in that 30 years. The final margin was almost 5 times closer than any election for Senator in that time -- the next closest was an 11% loss (in 1996 -- over 20 years ago). Perhaps a better comparison, Sen. Cruz won the 2012 election by 16%. It wasn't an 8% deficit Beto was trying to make up.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
thx for the clarification

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Think of it this way -- people often say that Republicans automatically get 35% of the vote, and Democrats about 35% of the vote. In Texas, it is more like Republicans get 43% of the vote, and that Democrats are more like 25-30%. So, that means that Beto needs at least two thirds or so of the Independent vote.

What Beto did in Texas was very impressive. To give you an idea, a Democrat has not won a Senate seat in Texas in 30 years, and Beto's loss by 2.5% was the closest Senate race in Texas in that 30 years. The final margin was almost 5 times closer than any election for Senator in that time -- the next closest was an 11% loss (in 1996 -- over 20 years ago). Perhaps a better comparison, Sen. Cruz won the 2012 election by 16%. It wasn't an 8% deficit Beto was trying to make up.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I think you may have a point as far as 2018 was concerned, in Texas, and with Sen. Cruz a target of bigtime Democrat campaign contributors. But as for Beto being VP on the national ticket in 2020? Mark is right that a host of factors appear to be against him in that race.

So that's my two cents FWIW; we have to keep in mind that we are all just guessing at this stage of the game. :)

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If there is one good thing Trump has done, he has shown that literally anything is possible with national elections.

If you asked me 8 years ago, I would have said Beto is a wasted space on the ballot...

but now, after Trump???

I'm not sure of anything anymore. And i say that with no hyperbole. I have no idea what is possible. He very well could win...

So meh, let the man run and the numbers will sort themselves out...

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums