• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Best way to explain fallacy of sola scriptura to a protestant?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by SingularityOne, Aug 1, 2020.

1. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would ask him where exactly does the Scripture say that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,532
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I don't believe that is correct.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  3. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,319
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Radagast

+9,532
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The Protestant view of Sola Scriptura, can be described roughly as follows (quotes from the Belgic Confession):

We confess that this Word of God was not sent, nor delivered by the will of man, but that holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, as the apostle Peter saith. And that afterwards God, from a special care, which he has for us and our salvation, commanded his servants, the prophets and apostles, to commit his revealed word to writing; and he himself wrote with his own finger, the two tables of the law. Therefore we call such writings holy and divine Scriptures.

We believe that those Holy Scriptures fully contain the will of God, and that whatsoever man ought to believe, unto salvation, is sufficiently taught therein. For, since the whole manner of worship, which God requires of us, is written in them at large, it is unlawful for any one, though an apostle, to teach otherwise than we are now taught in the Holy Scriptures: nay, though it were an angel from heaven, as the apostle Paul saith. For, since it is forbidden, to add unto or take away anything from the word of God, it doth thereby evidently appear, that the doctrine thereof is most perfect and complete in all respects. Neither do we consider of equal value any writing of men, however holy these men may have been, with those divine Scriptures, nor ought we to consider custom, or the great multitude, or antiquity, or succession of times and persons, or councils, decrees or statutes, as of equal value with the truth of God, for the truth is above all; for all men are of themselves liars, and more vain than vanity itself. Therefore, we reject with all our hearts, whatsoever doth not agree with this infallible rule, which the apostles have taught us, saying, "Try the spirits whether they are of God." Likewise, "if there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house."

Historically, Sola Scriptura was articulated as a response to Catholic doctrines (such as that of Purgatory) which the Reformers felt were not based on Scripture. However, the Reformers still saw a role for Ecumenical Councils and so forth as a way of settling disputes about Scripture.

The only ways to argue someone out of Sola Scriptura in the traditional sense is to either:
    • argue that infallible prophetic revelation at the same level as Scripture still exists; or
    • argue that the Church has the authority to define doctrines that can not be found in Scripture.
    Some people who claim to follow Sola Scriptura in fact have a "me and my Bible and nobody else" view that the Reformers would not have recognised. That view is sometimes called Solo Scriptura to distinguish it from the Reformation view.

If it is Solo Scriptura that you are arguing against, you will find allies among many famous Protestants, both living and dead.

5. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,172
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    I think you have to be more specific with what type of protestant your friend is, and what he really believes when he says Sola Scriptura. I know protestants whose view of sola scriptura is nearly(!)-indistinguishable from Orthodoxy's view of Scripture and Tradition, and other protestants who only care how they interpret the Bible (not even how their pastor or modern-day protestant scholars interpret things)

6. Radagast

+9,532
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    You can probably construct an argument for something pretty close to the Orthodox view of Scripture and Tradition that is made up entirely from quotes by famous Reformed Protestants.

7. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+420
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yeah, that’s a good question. Thanks

8. SingularityOne

+420
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yeah, I mean, I posted his view a few responses ago. But, it’s mainly scripture, his pastor (and his pastor’s theological training), and the Holy Spirit that he relies on.

9. ArmyMatt

+14,262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    the doctrine of the Trinity is not found in Scripture. nowhere does the Scripture say that God is Trinitarian or that God is Three Persons in One Nature.

also, nowhere does the Scripture say that all doctrines must be found in the Scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. SingularityOne

+420
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Keep them coming. These are very helpful Fr. Matt. Thank you again.

11. Justin-H.S.

Justin-H.S. Retrograde

+118
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
  12. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,172
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    it is a good question, but one which, when I was a Lutheran, I had a response to. Even supported by a church father quote (though I can't recall who). In essence, Scripture says "whatever does not proceed from faith is sin" and also "faith comes through hearing and hearing through the Word of God" (I'm butchering these quotes, I'm sure). So -- the argument goes -- whatever does not come through the Word of God cannot be a full doctrine of faith, and although you are free to believe it, you cannot hold it against another person if they do not.

Obviously, we would have a number of counter responses to that (the one that jumps to my mind is that the Word of God is a Person with a body (the Church), not only the Scriptural texts).

These questions definitely can get people thinking, but it's not a "gotcha" type of thing.

13. Radagast

+9,532
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I would respectfully disagree.

And I think I had better bow out of the thread at this point.

14. ArmyMatt

+14,262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    you can disagree all you want. Trinity, 3 Persons in One Nature/Essence, Triune God, etc aren't found in Scripture.

15. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

+230
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yep, because of the belief that the Koran is co-eternal with Allah. That is why, although it may be translated, it's only truly 'the Koran' in the Arabic. Or something like that. And for that reason, the Koran has absolute authority as it is the only thing just as eternal as Allah.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List