Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You like to accuse other forum members of committing logical fallacies. I have yet to see you correctly identify a single one, so it's hardly surprising you'd be so quick in committing one yourself.

Also, take a few minutes to educate yourself: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

You have not demonstrated one of them to me when you allege I have not correctly identified logical fallacies. NOT ONE! I constantly refer to the list of logical fallacies given in the Nizkor Project.

If you continue accusations without evidence, I'll cease conversation with you as I find you are treating me as an idiot.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have it backwards. The burden of proof is yours. You haven't met it. Nothing you listed actually substantiates the content of your assertion. All it does is restate it.

And I'll point out, once again, even if you did have 'eyewitness testimony', it wouldn't make the slightest difference. I don't accept 'eyewitness testimony' as sufficient for demonstrating extraordinary claims, and neither do you.

I think you're referring to "supernatural" events.
There is no way to repeat such events, so they are
not open to scientific inquiry.

All past events are accepted on Faith.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If a tree fell on my house a year ago, do I have to accept that happened on faith too?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess my question is now is, why are you skeptical of things (besides the alien life) that you have actually seen, or can easily investigate since they are evidently real things (beside the resurrection part, IMO), but not skeptical of something supernatural that there is no evidence for? (I hope I worded that right, bad day at work and I'm frustrated and angry). PS. Monster cables suck, Mogami cable is better.

It's a pretty general question. Perhaps if I knew what you talking about?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Your contemporary worldview is clouding your discussion. You stated: 'My assertion is that eyewitness testimony is not a good judge of these things'. It is nothing more than your assertion, which proves nothing.

You're right, on its own, it is useless. However, there are countless studies showing eyewitness accounts to be highly flawed recollections. We know from neuroscience that there are a lot of ways that our brain and eyes mess with our perception and recollection of events (just ask everyone who could've sworn that slow-moving truck they rear-ended came out of nowhere while they were texting and driving). Not only that, but eyewitness testimony is necessarily a second hand recounting - I cannot necessarily account for the other person's lucidity, accuracy, or honesty. As a result, I must necessarily consider whether it is more likely that the eyewitnesses are some combination of inaccurate, insane, dishonest, or none of the above.

If someone tells me that someone rose from the dead, I think it'd be considerably more likely that they got something wrong than that they actually were relating the event to me accurately and honestly. I'd need corroborating evidence.

I've provided evidence of the importance of eyewitness testimony in first century culture, but you don't seem to be able to grapple with the evidence from that century. We are NOT discussing eyewitnesses in the American or Australian court system. We are discussing eyewitnesses in first century society - which were extremely important.

And I really don't care. I'm sorry, you can talk all you want about how important these eyewitnesses were at the time - given that there were no cameras, no fingerprinting, no DNA evidence, and generally speaking virtually none of the forensic tools we have today, obviously eyewitnesses were important. But does this somehow magically elevate their reliability? Is there anything about eyewitnesses being the only form of evidence back then that made them inherently more accurate, lucid, and honest? Given that they were a prescientific people with a strong tinge of mysticism, I think there's good reason to believe that they'd be less accurate than most modern witnesses.

See, when you say I'm discussing eyewitnesses in the court system, you're missing my point. I'm not. I'm discussing eyewitness testimony and its reliability in general. Not in court, not in a historical context, in all contexts. The fact that it was important back then does nothing to mitigate the fact that it is still really lousy evidence. Is it a unreasonable to expect that evidence from the past be evaluated by modern standards? No, not at all - our "modern" standards are demonstrably better at separating truth from fiction! The fact that their standards in the past were primitive at best does nothing to change that.

So important that scholar, Dr Richard Bauckham, has devoted an entire book of 538pp to Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony (Eerdmans 2006). His conclusion was:

'The burden of this book is that the category of testimony is the one that does most justice to the Gospels both as history and as theology. As a form of historiography testimony offers a unique access to historical reality that cannot be had without an element of trust in the credibility of the witness and what he or she has to report. Testimony is irreducible; we cannot, at least in some of its most distinctive and valuable claims, go behind it and make our own autonomous verification of them; we cannot establish the truth of testimony for ourselves as though we stood where the witnesses uniquely stood. Eyewitness testimony offers us insider knowledge from involved participants' (Bauckham 2006:505).​

Which is nice, but ultimately takes nothing away from the key question: how many agreeing eyewitnesses would you need before you believed something which, to you, seems impossible? Say, a man jumping off the empire state building, splattering on the ground below, having his bones and flesh knit themselves automatically back together like some horror protagonist who can't die, and then walking off - how many eyewitnesses would it take for you to believe this actually happened? Again, we have to reference the likelihood of this actually happening against the likelihood of the people claiming it being insane, lying to us, or simply misremembering (maybe they saw the man kill himself, and conflated that somehow with a street chiropractor that was doing a show right in front of him)...

I don't expect you to be convinced because you have a bias against eyewitness testimony

It's not called a bias when it's entirely justified. I consider eyewitness testimony to be weak evidence, and I have very good reasons for believing that.

but the NT does not.

And that is a knock against it. You'd think that a perfect god would understand the folly of relying on eyewitness testimony, which is oh so easily corrupted.

When you refer to deal with the evidence I provide and then throw back at me 'to hear from to believe that someone transformed into a mermaid', you've given another red herring. If you continue with red herring responses, I'll not reply to you any further as a logical discussion is impossible when logical fallacies are used by you.

Come on, man, this is just childish. I've explained twice already why this is not a red herring, and I'm not the only one. Now would you please answer the question in any given formulation?

Why don't you deal with the nature of the red herring fallacy that is being perpetrated?

Because it isn't one. :)

Was wondering when someone would post that. :D

That's a straw man argument. I also happen to be an historian so I know that psychology cannot define and/or explain all that existed or exists.

Credentials on the internet are shown, not told. How do I know that @sfs is an expert in evolutionary biology? Because he shows it every time he posts on the subject. How do I know that @RickG is an expert in geology? Because he demonstrates the value of his credentials every time he opens his mouth. In your case, you've claimed expertise in psychology and history, and you still think that eyewitness testimony is sufficient to demonstrate supernatural claims? I'm sorry, but that alone blows any claim you have to expertise out of the water!

Most materialists are person who are like being inside a small corner of an infinitely huge box with total and sole faith in their quite limited perceptual faculties and instrumentation they intelligently designed, and by experiments they always and only intelligently engineer. They, having no possible (not just improbable) way of knowing there even is an outside or beyond the box (except perhaps SOME theoretical quantum physicists) by there puny limited methodologies yet make assertive, often assumption-based declarations of that which IS or MAY BE outside of the limited box they create and impose on all.

Tell you what: you show me something beyond that box, and maybe we can talk. See, the problem with this analogy is that all we have access to is the box! It's not like you're sitting outside the box scoffing, you're right in there with me, pretending that there's a huge world beyond the walls when neither of us have any reason to believe that that is the case!

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

You are correct that no supernatural events in the past can be examined according to the empirical, scientific method of repeatability.

However, all past supernatural events that have left a deposit in historical records can be tested according to the historical method, just like the records of Captain James Cook's visit to New Zealand and Australia, the life and death of Julius Caesar, or Brett Peter Cowan's conviction for the murder of young teenager Daniel Morcombe.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
At this point in the discussion, "God" is still only a character in a book. It may be that you hear voices, or you are reading something out of a book, but you will need more than that to show that science is sufficiently wrong so as to accommodate your bible stories.

There is more than enough evidence to reasonably conclude (without personal experience) that the Bible is the word of God. I would happily present it on this forum but unfortunately every time I try they close the thread and say this forum "isn't for apologetics." Since I can't present such evidence on this forum, I would suggest the following books as a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliability-O...sr=1-1&keywords=kenneth+kitchen+old+testament

http://www.amazon.com/New-Testament...0355&sr=1-1&keywords=f.f.+bruce+new+testament

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Credentials on the internet are shown, not told. How do I know that @sfs is an expert in evolutionary biology? Because he shows it every time he posts on the subject. How do I know that @RickG is an expert in geology? Because he demonstrates the value of his credentials every time he opens his mouth. In your case, you've claimed expertise in psychology and history, and you still think that eyewitness testimony is sufficient to demonstrate supernatural claims? I'm sorry, but that alone blows any claim you have to expertise out of the water!
Well, here I am, although I'm not sure why I was tagged, unless I'm needed to expound upon something I'm familiar with. How may I help? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are correct that no supernatural events in the past can be examined according to the empirical, scientific method of repeatability.

However, all past supernatural events that have left a deposit in historical records can be tested according to the historical method, just like the records of Captain James Cook's visit to New Zealand and Australia, the life and death of Julius Caesar, or Brett Peter Cowan's conviction for the murder of young teenager Daniel Morcombe.

Please explain how a historian using the historical method, will confirm a super natural event (a miracle) has taken place, say 2000 years ago?

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
There is more than enough evidence to reasonably conclude (without personal experience) that the Bible is the word of God.<snip>
That you believe it does not make it so.

Apologetics is not evidence. That is why it is called apologetics. :wave:

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Please explain how a historian using the historical method, will confirm a super natural event (a miracle) has taken place, say 2000 years ago?

What historical information is available in the records that exist today? Take this example from an historical record:

'6 Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison. 7 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands. 8 And the angel said to him, “Dress yourself and put on your sandals.” And he did so. And he said to him, “Wrap your cloak round you and follow me.” 9 And he went out and followed him. He did not know that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. 10 When they had passed the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate leading into the city. It opened for them of its own accord, and they went out and went along one street, and immediately the angel left him. 11 When Peter came to himself, he said, “Now I am sure that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting”' (Acts 12:6-11 ESV).​

Here we have an example of an historical record where there was a supernatural event explained of an angel of the Lord coming to Peter, striking him, waking him and leading him past the first and second guards and the iron gate into the city opening 'of its own accord' and leading Peter out.

You might not like the supernatural aspect of the narrative of this historical event because it may not fit with your worldview, but here we have an example of a supernatural intervention that Peter experienced when he was sleeping between two soldiers. The historical method allows us to deal with the evidence that remains and we must deal with its content on an historical basis.

Are you able to deal with this information according to your understanding of the historical method? Or do you cast it out because it is an example of the supernatural in action?

Oz

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What historical information is available in the records that exist today? Take this example from an historical record:

'6 Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison. 7 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands. 8 And the angel said to him, “Dress yourself and put on your sandals.” And he did so. And he said to him, “Wrap your cloak round you and follow me.” 9 And he went out and followed him. He did not know that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. 10 When they had passed the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate leading into the city. It opened for them of its own accord, and they went out and went along one street, and immediately the angel left him. 11 When Peter came to himself, he said, “Now I am sure that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting”' (Acts 12:6-11 ESV).​

Oz
From a historical point of view, are you aware that the book of Acts is not a contemporary writing in the time of Herod?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, I've never heard of the "Historical Method" before. From the Wiki article I source, it states the following:

The"Historical method comprises the techniques and guidelines by which historians use primary sources and other, evidence including the evidence of archaeology, to research and then to write histories in the form of accounts of the past."​

From a historical point of view, are you aware that the book of Acts is not a contemporary writing in the time of Herod?

Wiki is hardly a solid, reliable source for the historical method.

Are you aware that the Book of Acts is a book of history? You did not address the historical point I was making of the supernatural recorded in history.

Here's a grab from my dissertation regarding this topic:

What is history? Tudor historian, Sir Geoffrey Elton (1967:10-12), stated that since history ‘deals with events, not states, it investigates things that happen and not things that are’, it may be defined as ‘those human sayings, thoughts, deeds and sufferings which occurred in the past and have left a present deposit; and it deals with them from the point of view of happening, change and the particular’ (Elton, in Barnett 1997:18). Elton is not explaining history from a Christian perspective, but his understanding of history has application to the gospels and Christian history. Barnett (1997:19) defined history as dealing with phenomena and how to explain them. He assessed that the phenomenon of the origin of early Christianity ‘is well attested. Its sudden emergence is as historically secure as any event in Palestine in that century’.​

Paul Barnett (cited here) has been an ancient historian who taught at Macquarie University, Sydney Australia. He's an Anglican Christian also.

Works consulted
Barnett, P W 1997. Jesus and the logic of history. Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press.
Elton, G R 1967. The practice of history. Sydney: Sydney University Press.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonbeliever314

....grinding teeth.
Mar 11, 2015
✟8,292.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's a pretty general question. Perhaps if I knew what you talking about?

Yeah, I was out of it yesterday. For the most part, everything in your list no one would disagree that most of what you listed is real. What specifically you are skeptical of about for each doesn't matter. What I don't understand is that you're skeptical about certain aspects of things that are evidently real, but in terms of God, which there isn't any evidence for, you aren't the least bit skeptical. Why?

Upvote 0

nonbeliever314

....grinding teeth.
Mar 11, 2015
✟8,292.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Here is a similar still photo representation of the Holy Spirit and me.

924248-410bf8d6-943d-11e3-8d43-e004d36a6c9a.jpg

Still waiting on what this is supposed to mean or explain...

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Wiki is hardly a solid, reliable source for the historical method.
Then you are saying wiki described it incorrectly. Please point out what I posted that is not correct.

Are you aware that the Book of Acts is a book of history? You did not address the historical point I was making of the supernatural recorded in history.
Yes, I did address the historical point, by pointing out that what was written about Herod in the book of Acts was not written during Herod's time, rather a generation or more after his death. I am not questioning the validity of what was written, just when it was written. Thus it is not a contemporary description of the events pertaining to Herod.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You're right, on its own, it is useless. However, there are countless studies showing eyewitness accounts to be highly flawed recollections. We know from neuroscience that there are a lot of ways that our brain and eyes mess with our perception and recollection of events (just ask everyone who could've sworn that slow-moving truck they rear-ended came out of nowhere while they were texting and driving). Not only that, but eyewitness testimony is necessarily a second hand recounting - I cannot necessarily account for the other person's lucidity, accuracy, or honesty. As a result, I must necessarily consider whether it is more likely that the eyewitnesses are some combination of inaccurate, insane, dishonest, or none of the above.

If someone tells me that someone rose from the dead, I think it'd be considerably more likely that they got something wrong than that they actually were relating the event to me accurately and honestly. I'd need corroborating evidence.

And I really don't care. I'm sorry, you can talk all you want about how important these eyewitnesses were at the time - given that there were no cameras, no fingerprinting, no DNA evidence, and generally speaking virtually none of the forensic tools we have today, obviously eyewitnesses were important. But does this somehow magically elevate their reliability? Is there anything about eyewitnesses being the only form of evidence back then that made them inherently more accurate, lucid, and honest? Given that they were a prescientific people with a strong tinge of mysticism, I think there's good reason to believe that they'd be less accurate than most modern witnesses.

See, when you say I'm discussing eyewitnesses in the court system, you're missing my point. I'm not. I'm discussing eyewitness testimony and its reliability in general. Not in court, not in a historical context, in all contexts. The fact that it was important back then does nothing to mitigate the fact that it is still really lousy evidence. Is it a unreasonable to expect that evidence from the past be evaluated by modern standards? No, not at all - our "modern" standards are demonstrably better at separating truth from fiction! The fact that their standards in the past were primitive at best does nothing to change that.

Which is nice, but ultimately takes nothing away from the key question: how many agreeing eyewitnesses would you need before you believed something which, to you, seems impossible? Say, a man jumping off the empire state building, splattering on the ground below, having his bones and flesh knit themselves automatically back together like some horror protagonist who can't die, and then walking off - how many eyewitnesses would it take for you to believe this actually happened? Again, we have to reference the likelihood of this actually happening against the likelihood of the people claiming it being insane, lying to us, or simply misremembering (maybe they saw the man kill himself, and conflated that somehow with a street chiropractor that was doing a show right in front of him)...

It's not called a bias when it's entirely justified. I consider eyewitness testimony to be weak evidence, and I have very good reasons for believing that.

And that is a knock against it. You'd think that a perfect god would understand the folly of relying on eyewitness testimony, which is oh so easily corrupted.

Come on, man, this is just childish. I've explained twice already why this is not a red herring, and I'm not the only one. Now would you please answer the question in any given formulation?

Because it isn't one. :)

Was wondering when someone would post that. :D

Tell you what: you show me something beyond that box, and maybe we can talk. See, the problem with this analogy is that all we have access to is the box! It's not like you're sitting outside the box scoffing, you're right in there with me, pretending that there's a huge world beyond the walls when neither of us have any reason to believe that that is the case!

I will not be replying to ridicule of me and my views. I'm interested in healthy discussion, but when you get into this kind of ridicule, I refuse to pursue conversation further with you.

Bye!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.