✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Obvious and obviate.

Two words that sound very much alike. But one is used to mean plainly evident or often encountered and the other used to mean in the way or against

Ob. And via.
obvious | Origin and meaning of obvious by Online Etymology Dictionary

obviate | Origin and meaning of obviate by Online Etymology Dictionary
I studied Latin for a year. "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. It killed the ancient Romans and now it's killing me".
It's fairly obvious from reading news reports and internet articles that few care about correct English any more. "Grammar" is the little old lady you visit in the nursing home. Even the spill chucker can't rescue the English language from the pit into which it has been thrown. Journalists should know better. I read this a few months ago: "They were running away from a home evasion" and this gem, "The donkey was completely emerged". It was actually under water, submerged. Stop the world, I want to get off!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I studied Latin for a year. "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. It killed the ancient Romans and now it's killing me".
It's fairly obvious from reading news reports and internet articles that few care about correct English any more. "Grammar" is the little old lady you visit in the nursing home. Even the spill chucker can't rescue the English language from the pit into which it has been thrown. Journalists should know better. I read this a few months ago: "They were running away from a home evasion" and this gem, "The donkey was completely emerged". It was actually under water, submerged. Stop the world, I want to get off!
"I cannot underemphasize..."
"Be more pacific..."
"Penultimate" as "ultimate".
"Myth" and "mythology" used as synonyms.

The list goes on.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If only entomology was just as dead as Latin, so we could stick a pin in this kind of thread. Then we wouldn't have people claiming the moral grammar ground because some word in current usage had a bit that meant something else 2000 years ago in another language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
"I cannot underemphasize..."
"Be more pacific..."
"Penultimate" as "ultimate".
"Myth" and "mythology" used as synonyms.

The list goes on.
There was a book many years ago, "The English and how she is Spoke". I suspect that Australia's English teachers use it as their style guide. "Fair" instead of "fare", "phase" instead of "faze" etc. etc.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If only entomology was just as dead as Latin, so we could stick a pin in this kind of thread. Then we wouldn't have people claiming the moral grammar ground because some word in current usage had a bit that meant something else 2000 years ago in another language.
If only English was taught correctly. We would be able to have intelligent conversations without having to second guess what the speaker meant.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There was a book many years ago, "The English and how she is Spoke". I suspect that Australia's English teachers use it as their style guide. "Fair" instead of "fare", "phase" instead of "faze" etc. etc.
I'm a familiar with the arguments that all languages evolve and evolution is observable in the history of the English language.

And yet, news articles published in English from just 20 or 25 years ago seem archaic in ways that I don't think should be appropriate. Idk about you Australians but I'm starting to become more receptive to arguments that the British and the Americans don't really speak the same language anymore. I shudder to think how things will be a century from now (if we survive 2020, that is).

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Irregardless, I agree with thecolorsblend.
It's a truffling matter of no unimportance
I'm a familiar with the arguments that all languages evolve and evolution is observable in the history of the English language.

And yet, news articles published in English from just 20 or 25 years ago seem archaic in ways that I don't think should be appropriate. Idk about you Australians but I'm starting to become more receptive to arguments that the British and the Americans don't really speak the same language anymore. I shudder to think how things will be a century from now (if we survive 2020, that is).
Many people are semi-literate. If evolution is true (which I do not accept), it's gone into reverse. Many people communicate in grunts, teens especially. Emojis are just cartoon hieroglyphics. Talk like an Egyptian, anyone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If only English was taught correctly. We would be able to have intelligent conversations without having to second guess what the speaker meant.

Well that's just not true Pete, as anyone even remotely familiar with the history of the language would know.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It really has nothing to do with "grammar ground". I thought it was strange that two words so closely related would have almost opposite meanings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We live in a world of acronyms for the most part ;o)

Upvote 0