Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oddly enough, Latin language was very much alive here in Finland (of a entirely different language branch) up until last year, when the world's one and only classical Latin language weekly news programme, Nuntii Latini, was discontinued after 30 years on the air. Some 40,000 people regularly tuned in to the five-minute Friday evening bulletin on Yle Radio ("Radiophonia Finnica Generalis") and online, many from outside Finland and reportedly, with listeners even from the Vatican. A "dead" language, Latin was still declinable to report from the most historic catastrophies of our modern times: the Estonia ferry disaster, the Twin Towers in New York, and the Indian Ocean tsunami.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Latin in high school for 3 years. But it was a wonderful teacher about the English language. So many root words and from the Greek too. I think that meanings and spelling is easier because of experience with Latin. Plus the whole thing with figuring out the codes concerning how it is translated. I found a minor talent to express my creativeness in language. Sometimes they really know how to say stuff!
If I had a lexicon I’d translate the Vulgate.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Latin in high school for 3 years. But it was a wonderful teacher about the English language. So many root words and from the Greek too. I think that meanings and spelling is easier because of experience with Latin. Plus the whole thing with figuring out the codes concerning how it is translated. I found a minor talent to express my creativeness in language. Sometimes they really know how to say stuff!
If I had a lexicon I’d translate the Vulgate.
Now I am dabling in Koine again.
Still not proficient in either.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Oddly enough, Latin language was very much alive here in Finland (of a entirely different language branch) up until last year, when the world's one and only classical Latin language weekly news programme, Nuntii Latini, was discontinued after 30 years on the air. Some 40,000 people regularly tuned in to the five-minute Friday evening bulletin on Yle Radio ("Radiophonia Finnica Generalis") and online, many from outside Finland and reportedly, with listeners even from the Vatican. A "dead" language, Latin was still declinable to report from the most historic catastrophies of our modern times: the Estonia ferry disaster, the Twin Towers in New York, and the Indian Ocean tsunami.
Don't worry, English is a dying language also. I don't know what will replace it. Emoji-ese maybe?

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Akita Suggagaki are you using Strongs Numbers? Or what form of lexicon. I used SN to translate NT came out interesting.
Yes, strong's and other things. With all the on-line tools for word study one hardly needs t be an expert these days.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, strong's and other things. With all the on-line tools for word study one hardly needs t be an expert these days.
Your right @Akita Suggagaki you don’t need to be expert. I trying intermediate Greek grammar with exegesis in mind, more and deeper. Today’s translators put it into modern language like the NASB. Strongs in old English. Not often a perfect match meaning for the Greek to English. You need more English words. I translated NT was close but not all , very fun. Not sale able.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Don't worry, English is a dying language also. I don't know what will replace it. Emoji-ese maybe?
I agree. If evolution is true (which I don't believe) then we are evolving backwards. Teenagers communicate in grunts like cave men. Emojis are taking us back to the days of Egypt. Graffiti is just cave painting with stolen spray paint.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. If evolution is true (which I don't believe) then we are evolving backwards. Teenagers communicate in grunts like cave men. Emojis are taking us back to the days of Egypt. Graffiti is just cave painting with stolen spray paint.
Hopefully, two steps forward for every one step back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hopefully, two steps forward for every one step back.
I don't know about that. I'd make a remark about obese people at the beach evolving back to whales, but that would get the PC brigade on my back so I'd better not.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

An elderly classical languages professor goes to Rome for a conference.​

He hails a taxi as he leaves the airport, and the driver points to a sign saying "Tell driver your destination". The professor hesitates for a moment. He doesn't speak Italian, but doesn't want the driver to misunderstand his directions in English. Suddenly realizing that Italian is descended from Latin he says, "Adducere me ad Marriott deversorium"

The cab driver nods and puts the car in gear. As he into traffic he says, "Wow, you sure haven't been to Rome for a long time."

Upvote 0