Feb 4, 2012
✟34,547.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am going through an impossible situation with my son.
I know rationally what the evolvement will be.
And it breaks my heart.
I need the strength to believe God for the impossible.
But how do I know it is not just my selfishness speaking?
My son has the right to make his choices, even if they are poor, and to make his mistakes, even if they will eat a lot of his future and life.
But my heart is broken. I have protected him all my life. I want to cry to God"Please don't let him do that. Please bring him back to the ones who love him."

Can I ask God this? Can I find this faith in myself, in spite of knowing my son and knowing how life goes?
Is it right? And will God listen to me?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you have sorrow, even anguish, over you son's choices, know that there are other Christians on that same path. It is hard.

Know that those of us who walk in this valley, will pray for you. God is with us when we hurt.

Upvote 0

AK1982

All things ... through HIM who strengthens!
Sep 26, 2019
Netherlands
✟29,012.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My son has the right to make his choices

So is everyone because freewill is the greatest gift from God to us. But, it's the same free will that can lead us to sin, away from God and eventually to hell.

“Deut. 30:19 - I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse: therefore choose life

We choosing "life" is God's will for us. So, anything asked according to His will, he will give us and that's the confidence we have in God.

"1 John 5: 14&15 - This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

Pray for your son and keep praying. Let not your faith hinder by what you see, what happens or what your son chooses/does. Your focus is the end-result, the destiny. Have faith that God is in control of that no matter how bad "now" is. Remember that faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

I have known many testimonies where the warrior mothers/fathers have sowed in tears and reaped the harvest abundantly in their children's lives. Some have left the world to be with the Lord by the time the promises came to pass and the prayers answered. But, the prayers are answered and I have heard children remembering and recollecting the prayers of their mother/father/whoever the interceder, when sharing their testimonies. How awesome is that!

God doesn't fail us. He might not do it on our schedule but, anything asked according to His will is ours. You are up for a battle that takes time and therefore patience. The steadfast will surely be rewarded!

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it breaks my heart.
My son has the right to make his choices, even if they are poor, and to make his mistakes, even if they will eat a lot of his future and life.
But my heart is broken. I have protected him all my life. I want to cry to God"Please don't let him do that. Please bring him back to the ones who love him."

Can I ask God this? Can I find this faith in myself, in spite of knowing my son and knowing how life goes?

We are supposed to pray. After all, that's the only thing we can do in such cases.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it breaks my heart.

I broke my mother's heart many times. She prayed for me when I was involved in a cult. Her prayers were answered when I was saved.
Keep praying for your son and above all trust in the Lord that His Will Be Done. Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So is everyone because freewill is the greatest gift from God to us. But, it's the same free will that can lead us to sin, away from God and eventually to hell.

“Deut. 30:19 - I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse: therefore choose life

We choosing "life" is God's will for us. So, anything asked according to His will, he will give us and that's the confidence we have in God.

"1 John 5: 14&15 - This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

Pray for your son and keep praying. Let not your faith hinder by what you see, what happens or what your son chooses/does. Your focus is the end-result, the destiny. Have faith that God is in control of that no matter how bad "now" is. Remember that faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

I have known many testimonies where the warrior mothers/fathers have sowed in tears and reaped the harvest abundantly in their children's lives. Some have left the world to be with the Lord by the time the promises came to pass and the prayers answered. But, the prayers are answered and I have heard children remembering and recollecting the prayers of their mother/father/whoever the interceder, when sharing their testimonies. How awesome is that!

God doesn't fail us. He might not do it on our schedule but, anything asked according to His will is ours. You are up for a battle that takes time and therefore patience. The steadfast will surely be rewarded!

How do you account for those who have been prayed for by devout Christians yet never have renounced Satan? Should the Christian berate himself for those the Christian didn't convert or should the Christian believe that Satan overpowered God????

Does an omniscient God know who will chose life and who will choose death, but He, God, wants some to never come to Him?

Why did He appear to Saul who was an enemy to the Church?

Why did He rescue Jonah?

1 Corinthians 3
So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

Are there any planted seeds that never grow?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I get it. I have 2 sons that are, from a human perspective great people. They just have no relationship with God/truth. I pray for them, I love them, I do not let them practice sin in my household, but I love them and pray for their salvation. I will never turn them away. I just will not let them practice sin in my home.

My rule of thumb: How does God respond to me when I choose differently than He would wish?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And it breaks my heart.

Read the parable of the persistent widow in Luke 18...

That said, know that God will never do anything outside His will, and much of our prayer life involves establishing a relationship with God that seeks His will ..

It may be that this is part of God's will, that your son learn from hard experience, which is the clearest way that any of us actually learn.

So pray for your son .. and pray for God's will... and pray you learn from this too.

We will pray for you.

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it breaks my heart.

Dear KayScarpettafan,

I understand your love for your son and your desire for him to find the life that God has prepared for him before he was born. I know that I can’t make choices for anyone but myself, which means as much as I would like to do so, I can’t make choices for my children. I can teach them, I can love them and I can encourage them to do the right thing. But ultimately it is up to them to choose their pathway.

I still pray that God will intervene and guide my children and especially one of my sons into His pathway. I still can pray that God will send someone to reach my son and speak truth into his life. I still can encourage, love and pray for my son. I, too, can still trust God for His promises and know that God can do the impossible. I read the story of the Prodigal Son and know that this man had to suffer the consequences of his bad choices. I don't want that for my son. I can pray that when God brings something into my son's life that will bring him back to God, "Help me Father God stand by my son and support him but not to hinder Your work in what You allow to bring my son around but help me to let Your will be done." We can stand together, Mom, trusting for our sons and loving them. God bless you, your son and your family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can feel your hurting and I empathize with you. What you're going through is what many mothers go through, even our Savior's mother(Mary), walked with him to the cross, she could do nothing but weep as she watched her son being murdered. All you can do is to pray for the will of God to be fulfilled in your son's life. I will also advise you to change your focus, spread love to others as well, as you help others, trust that God will send helpers your son's way, wherever he finds himself. God bless

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Every parent experiences disappointment of some sort regarding their children’s choices. As did yours. :)

Take your concerns to God. You’ve voiced your opinion to your son. Beating a dead horse will alienate him and push him closer to her. Some lessons must be learned through experience.

More importantly, you sheltered him as a child. But he’s a man. You must engage from that perspective going forward. You can’t save him from the world. He’s going to err. This is the first of many mistakes. Make peace with that.

~bella

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is hard to watch your child make a terrible choice, but as others have suggested, it is best to take this to the Lord, who can and will help, just maybe not in the timeframe we all hope or expect. Sometimes answering a prayer immediately would be the wrong thing, and the Lord knows this. I've prayed for relief of agony or to get out of a bad situation, but the Lord let me work my way through it, knowing I would gain perseverance in the process. God tells us he will not allow us to be tested beyond our limits, though I know all too well at times it feels like we are beyond what we can handle, at least at the time.

Upvote 0