Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Two notes: I don't want to turn this into some kind of Trump = antisemitic thread. Though I am concerned about some of the things he said regarding "international bankers" which any Jew knows has been code for Jew for at least a hundred years
If you study the literature of people who talk about international banking conspiracies and international financial power brokers, etc., you'd see that the term does not mean to them what you say here, although a century ago that was probably the usual meaning.

That aside, I am surprised that the American Jewish community seems to have remained mainly loyal to the Democrats even though the President is a supporter of Israel, the Dems would give it to the Palestinians without a moment's hesitation, and his opponent had made anti-Semitic remarks during the campaign.

This doesn't mean that all American Jews have to have a position on the future of Israel, but I think most do want the nation to survive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If you study the literature of people who talk about international banking conspiracies and international financial power brokers, etc., you'd see that the term does not mean to them what you say here, although a century ago that was probably the usual meaning.
Yet, amazingly, when I see people spewing this stuff it always seems to be followed by anti-Jewish sentiment. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
That aside, I am surprised that the American Jewish community seems to have remained mainly loyal to the Democrats even though the President is a supporter of Israel, the Dems would give it to the Palestinians without a moment's hesitation, and his opponent had made anti-Semitic remarks during the campaign.

This doesn't mean that all American Jews have to have a position on the future of Israel, but I think most do want the nation to survive.

Can we all stop pretending that Democrats don't give aid to Israel?

Total U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel (1949-Present)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, but there were only two options that had any chance of winning.
When enough people vote for a third party candidate, it ends up influencing the platforms of the main parties, who use it to guage where the american public is at, since they want to gain back the constituency.

A third party can also give you the opportunity to stay within the guide of one's conscience. I simply couldn't bring myself to vote for Hillary or Trump and still look at myself in the mirror. I vote American Solidarity because it has the private morals of the right, and the social values of the left. Here is our platform: Platform - American Solidarity Party

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I sympathize with your thinking, but even if a voter decides to take the "long view" (which is how I'd described your strategy with third parties), it doesn't work unless the party is on enough state ballots to matter. Few third parties ever reach that level, mainly because the laws making it difficult are written by either Democratic or Republican state legislators.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I sympathize with your thinking, but even if a voter decides to take the "long view" (which is how I'd described your strategy with third parties), it doesn't work unless the party is on enough state ballots to matter. Few third parties ever reach that level, mainly because the laws making it difficult are written by either Democratic or Republican state legislators.
They never get to that point unless people push for that. The American Solidarity Part appeals to those who have traditional morals, but also have a heart for the poor and sick and a concern for the earth. In other words it is a Christian Democratic Party like in many countries of Europe, although it will appeal to those who are not Christian as well.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For your sake, I hope it succeeds in making headway. However, I have noticed that the toughest row for any third party to try to hoe is the centrist one. People will always find moderates in one or the other of the major parties to vote for.

The third parties that really do pressure the GOP or Dems come at them from either farther Right on the spectrum or farther Left, not from "not moderate enough on half of your platform."

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
For your sake, I hope it succeeds in making headway. However, I have noticed that the toughest row for any third party to try to hoe is the centrist one. People will always find moderates in one or the other of the major parties to vote for.

The third parties that really do pressure the GOP or Dems come at them from either farther Right on the spectrum or farther Left, not from "not moderate enough on half of your platform."
It is despicable that most people of high ethics cannot have a party that is prolife from conception to natural death that is also compassionate for the poor and responsible towards the environment. These people are forced to choose one or the other, which is horrible.

Upvote 0