May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to BE gay or ONLY to act on it ( have sex)?

Same-sex desires are a part of our thought process, but they do not have to define us, nor must we act on them. Imho no one "is gay". Certainly not as one "is Filipino", "is over weight", or "is blind". Sexual desire is not an intrinsic part of our physical nature. It's a feeling. We can have feelings that are directed towards either or both sexes; but God's will for us is to direct those feelings and act on them in the context of a marriage to a person of the opposite sex under Christ, or not at all. In other words, heterosexuality can be as sinful or out of sync with God's will for us as homosexuality, if our desire is in the wrong context. I pray for God to help me to see everyone, male and female, as His children, and as a brother or a sister. It's a battle, and a constant one, but it's worth fighting.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Homosexuals are
Rich
Poor
White
Black
Men
Women
Highly Educated
Poorly Educated
From Christian family's
From Atheist, and Agnostic family's
From any and all National Origins
Whatever other demographic you want to place in the list.

Is there a determining common factor which links them all together, "NO" as long as there are those who would say, "I knew I was Homosexual when I was 6", and those who say, "I would not have made this choice for my life, anybody would be crazy to chose this as a lifestyle."

A Heterosexual can be a thief, murderer, have immoral and adulterous relationships, but when they stop doing what they have done they are still Heterosexuals.

A Homosexual can be a thief, murderer, have elicit immoral relationships, but when they stop doing what they have done, even becoming celibate, they are still Homosexuals.

My personal belief on the issue is, Homosexuality is a Curse upon mankind brought about by the actions of mankind, this Curse is a sign from God as to the condition of the Society in which they live, regardless of the Country.

The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah are the only cities that were destroied by God because of their sin....... what was that sin?

Rom. 1
What other sin is there in the entire Bible which has been so well documented as to the Reasons, and Cause of the sin coming into being?

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Pretty sure that's judging
If so, then so is your statement.

Since when is judging expressing how you feel on a certain subject? Judging would be me saying it's wrong and saying you are going to Hell for it, which the only way anyone is going to Hell is if they haven't accepted Christ.
It's an old standard tactic by people who want to follow their own feelings over the Bible. Any time anyone simply points out what the Bible says (or simply their opinion of what it says), they're instantly labelled as "judging".

• Agree
Reactions: RGW00
Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was younger in the Faith, I was taught the Abraham, Lot, and Sodom story. The Romans 1:21-32 and the deliberate mistranslation of the 2 words in 1Cor.6:9.
The new believer being brought up in a fundamentalist church is not aware that the burning of the earth in that part of the Middle East has been proven to have occurred in 3500 B. C. by the reading of the ancient Sumarian disc called the Star Map. Proving that the Sodom destruction story was just that. A story. As Abraham didn't exist until about 1000 years after the burning. Which also left numerous salt pillars that might have some resemblance to human statues.

If one sets their pride and hatred aside when studying the Roman 1 passage, they would not need to first know that it is referring to Roman pagan worship orgies, they would see that the participants were heterosexual before the orgy and they were heterosexual after.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The new believer being brought up in a fundamentalist church is not aware that the burning of the earth in that part of the Middle East has been proven to have occurred in 3500 B. C. by the reading of the ancient Sumarian disc called the Star Map. Proving that the Sodom destruction story was just that. A story. As Abraham didn't exist until about 1000 years after the burning. Which also left numerous salt pillars that might have some resemblance to human statues.
Even if we presume it's "just a story", that doesn't remove the condemnation of homosexual acts being present in the Bible.

You already tried your "the condemnation is only about pagan worship practices" before in a formal debate, in which you completely failed to make your case.

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
From my limited research, the gay gene doesn't seem to exist since there hasn't been a gene named and that gene proven to be passed down from every global culture in history. If God ever reveals that there is I'll believe it then.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When I was younger in the Faith, I was taught the Abraham, Lot, and Sodom story. The Romans 1:21-32 and the deliberate mistranslation of the 2 words in 1Cor.6:9.

If one sets their pride and hatred aside when studying the Roman 1 passage, they would not need to first know that it is referring to Roman pagan worship orgies, they would see that the participants were heterosexual before the orgy and they were heterosexual after.

Are you saying there are deliberate mis-translations in the Bible and that the Bible therefore cannot be trusted, and that it is only a book of stories?

Think of it this way.
If your Theory is true and the Bible is only a book of stories.

Then what do we as Christians base our very Salvation upon, if the Word of God to mankind the Bible cannot be trusted, we are of all men most miserable, and without hope, in the world.

why then would any of us, all of us pretend to call ourselves Christian?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the same way you can be straight and not lust after members of the opposite sex

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart

I don't know if i ever go a week without thinking about a woman like that.. So i would be surprised if a homosexual could go all their lives without thinking of another man in that way... When you come to it.. If a gay person never thinks about having sex with other men then how can he say he is gay?

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying there are deliberate mis-translations in the Bible and that the Bible therefore cannot be trusted, and that it is only a book of stories?

Think of it this way.
If your Theory is true and the Bible is only a book of stories.

Then what do we as Christians base our very Salvation upon, if the Word of God to mankind the Bible cannot be trusted, we are of all men most miserable, and without hope, in the world.

why then would any of us, all of us pretend to call ourselves Christian?

I did not say the entire Bible was just book of stories. I quoted evidence that the one of Genesis chapter 18 is. It was written to show how God felt about those who showed no hospitality to nomadic herdsmen and desert travelers.
I am sure that you know that there is very much disagreement amongst Christians as to whether the Genesis account was written to satisfy the primitive peoples of the time [literal account] or it was figurative account that many today understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even if we presume it's "just a story", that doesn't remove the condemnation of homosexual acts being present in the Bible.

You already tried your "the condemnation is only about pagan worship practices" before in a formal debate, in which you completely failed to make your case.

You have already refused my challenge to you to Formally Debate. I told you that I would not be as gentle to you as I was to Tree of Life.
Please do not respond anymore to my posts until you get up the courage to meet me in the Formal Debate arena.

Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if i ever go a week without thinking about a woman like that.. So i would be surprised if a homosexual could go all their lives without thinking of another man in that way... When you come to it.. If a gay person never thinks about having sex with other men then how can he say he is gay?

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I did not say the entire Bible was just book of stories. I quoted evidence that the one of Genesis chapter 18 is. It was written to show how God felt about those who showed no hospitality to nomadic herdsmen and desert travelers.
I am sure that you know that there is very much disagreement amongst Christians as to whether the Genesis account was written to satisfy the primitive peoples of the time [literal account] or it was figurative account that many today understand it.
What about all these then?

Leviticus 18:22 ESV / 4,412 helpful votes
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 ESV / 3,411 helpful votes
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:26-28 ESV / 2,149 helpful votes
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.

Jude 1:7 ESV / 1,743 helpful votes
Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Mark 10:6-9 ESV / 1,522 helpful votes
But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

1 Timothy 1:10 ESV / 1,486 helpful votes
The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Romans 1:26-27 ESV / 1,346 helpful votes
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Romans 1:27 ESV / 1,229 helpful votes
And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Etc.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You have already refused my challenge to you to Formally Debate.
Because you already lost that debate. No reason to do it again. You showed that you either could not or would not respond to challenges to your positions made by Tree of Life in that debate. It's rather pointless to watch you do the same thing again.

I told you that I would not be as gentle to you as I was to Tree of Life.
Please do not respond anymore to my posts until you get up the courage to meet me in the Formal Debate arena.
I'll respond where & when & to whom I see fit, thank you very much.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You just don't get it.
If one part of the Bible narrative is untrue, the none of the Bible can be trusted.

If that one part is a misrepresentation, then how do you know that nothing else.

Moses wrote the first five Books of the Bible as he was inspired to write it by the Holy Spirit.

What hair brain did you get your MISinformation from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about all these then?

Leviticus 18:22 ESV / 4,412 helpful votes
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 ESV / 3,411 helpful votes
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:26-28 ESV / 2,149 helpful votes
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.

Jude 1:7 ESV / 1,743 helpful votes
Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Mark 10:6-9 ESV / 1,522 helpful votes
But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

1 Timothy 1:10 ESV / 1,486 helpful votes
The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Romans 1:26-27 ESV / 1,346 helpful votes
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Romans 1:27 ESV / 1,229 helpful votes
And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Etc.

The key to understanding the words abomination throughout the book of Leviticus is toweba. It always means idolatry which is spiritual adultery against God. It does not mean the lesser human reactions that we find are 'disgusting'. The chapters of 18 and 20 of Leviticus are referring to the pagan priests and priestesses and warn the Israelites concerning them.
As I have already posted, it is more convenient to check out the short and to the point LGBT thread in the Formal Debate section. It deals with that main arguments concerning this issue.

Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The key to understanding the words abomination throughout the book of Leviticus is toweba. It always means idolatry which is spiritual adultery against God. It does not mean the lesser human reactions that we find are 'disgusting'. The chapters of 18 and 20 of Leviticus are referring to the pagan priests and priestesses and warn the Israelites concerning them.
As I have already posted, it is more convenient to check out the short and to the point LGBT thread in the Formal Debate section. It deals with that main arguments concerning this issue.
I have already read all those arguments.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed. The Statement of Purpose for this forum includes:

Same-Sex Marriage and Gay Rights: Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality or same-sex marriage. Please remember that promotion of homosexuality and same-sex marriage is not allowed. For more detailed information please see this sticky thread.​

The morality of it (rightness or wrongness, sin or not sin) cannot be discussed in this forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.