Before Cleveland Game, Biggest Anthem Protest Yet

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
More than a dozen players from the Cleveland Browns formed a circle on the sideline Monday night and prayed in silent protest during the national anthem. The group, which included veterans, rookies, starters, and backups, gathered in front of water coolers and behind their teammates who stood on the sideline shortly before the Browns hosted the New York Giants, per the AP.

Before Cleveland Game, Biggest Anthem Protest Yet

• Haha
Reactions: TheBear

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As we've learned that traitors to the nation should not be honored, it's only right that all of these players be permanently banned from the hall of fame.

Of course, with them being from the Cleveland Browns there probably wasn't much risk of them getting there in the first place.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
As we've learned that traitors to the nation should not be honored, it's only right that all of these players be permanently banned from the hall of fame.
What a limp-wristed approach. I'd say they should shoot the player that displays the least patriotic fervor.

Gives the more patriotic team the rightfull headstart they deserve, as well.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good for them. I fully support them.

download.jpg

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sure hope that's not a history teacher...

Yes, he did leave out some specific details about how Black people and other minorities have been subjugated, enslaved, oppressed, marginalized, and discriminated against in this country since its inception in 1776 until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964. I think he was only trying to summarize. It probably would have taken him several posts and several hours to fully cover the entire history of how Black people and other minorities have been marginalized and oppressed in this country. Anyway, I fully support these NFL players. If I had been there, I would have silently joined in. I might even have tried to approach them to tell them that I personally support them. I think they did the right thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, he did leave out some specific details about how Black people and other minorities have been subjugated, enslaved, oppressed, marginalized, and discriminated against in this country since its inception in 1776 until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964. I think he was only trying to summarize. It probably would have taken him several posts and several hours to fully cover the entire history of how Black people and other minorities have been marginalized and oppressed in this country. Anyway, I fully support these NFL players. If I had been there, I would have silently joined in. I might even have tried to approach them to tell them that I support them. I think they did the right thing.

A) They did not enslave an entire race. That makes it sound like they cleared out Africa.
B) I didn't realize they were slaves until 1917.
C) Lots of people have been oppressed and marginalized in this country. See Irish, Native American, Italian, Japanese, German, and so on. The only two groups I don't think we've oppressed at some point are the British and the French.
D) Were any of these people oppressed? No. In fact, many are probably richer than a lot of the people they claim are oppressing them.

Reactions: bill5
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never figured out why people on the far-right get so bent out of shape about people refusing to say the pledge or sing the national anthem.

When you talk about every other issue with them
'Government is too powerful'
'We should always be skeptical of government'
'We need smaller government'
'Government shouldn't be able to tell me what to do'
'I need 40 rifles so I can fight the government'
'Government has no right to tell people what they can and can't believe'

Yet, if a person refuses to sing a song or say a pledge showing 100% submission and allegiance to the government, they get accused of being a traitor.

...it must just be because it's the left-wingers who are doing it, so the right-wingers feel compelled to be mad about it.

This cartoon pretty much sums up what's going on:
57c7589a1700001a1fc76d55.gif

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Probably wouldn't be that big of a deal had the anthem not been made so big of a deal in recent years.

Wasn't there something to do with government agencies paying football teams to stand on the field during the anthem as a show of patriotism?

Sing it or don't. It doesn't matter. Blind allegiance to one's country -- to anything -- is never good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I never figured out why people on the far-right get so bent out of shape about people refusing to say the pledge or sing the national anthem.

Regarding the rifles - I wonder how many of them have thought through that philosophy and contemplated who it is they'd be shooting at.

And then they call BLM terrorists because some of them have advocated shooting at cops.

Yet, if a person refuses to sing a song or say a pledge showing 100% submission and allegiance to the government, they get accused of being a traitor.

...it must just be because it's the left-wingers who are doing it, so the right-wingers feel compelled to be mad about it.

This cartoon pretty much sums up what's going on:
57c7589a1700001a1fc76d55.gif

This too:

20800027_10155185570663241_7201289955434206819_n.jpg

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This too:

To me, it just seems blatantly obvious that many have just wanted to blindly oppose any cause championed by "those darn liberals". It does come across as complete hypocrisy in some cases.

People have a right to express any idea they want no matter how controversial as long as they're not breaking any laws -is the justification for the KKK/Nazis being allowed to protest...which I 100% agree with that concept, people have a right to rally no matter how controversial the cause. As long as you don't harm anyone, you can rally for an cause no matter how stupid...

...but, in the same breath (right after they defend those who waive another country's flag), when they say that people who refuse to say the pledge or stand for the anthem are traitors and should lose their job or be kicked out of the country, its blatant partisanship-driven hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally think Colin Kapernick is a punk, and for more than just his protest. Given that, I still support his right to do what he does.

What made him successful was his running ability and creating plays in the open field (similar to Russell Wilson). However, his true talent showed up when he stopped running and creating space. The only reason he had decent stats last year was because of his short reads under coverage. A true starting NFL QB who can command the kind of salary he is wanting has to make the long, deep out, and touch passes. Colin just doesn't have that ability with any consistency. His not being signed is more of teams not wanting to pay starting QB money (~$20 million/yr) for a backup QB than the baggage that comes with his protests.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, I'm sure it's that, and not people just not wanting politics shoved into their face when they want to watch a sports game.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'm sure it's that, and not people just not wanting politics shoved into their face when they want to watch a sports game.

Which is why they stopped playing the national anthem before the game. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally think Colin Kapernick is a punk, and for more than just his protest. Given that, I still support his right to do what he does.

What made him successful was his running ability and creating plays in the open field (similar to Russell Wilson). However, his true talent showed up when he stopped running and creating space. The only reason he had decent stats last year was because of his short reads under coverage. A true starting NFL QB who can command the kind of salary he is wanting has to make the long, deep out, and touch passes. Colin just doesn't have that ability with any consistency. His not being signed is more of teams not wanting to pay starting QB money (~$20 million/yr) for a backup QB than the baggage that comes with his protests.

For the record, I have no opinion on his playing ability or his career prospects. My interest in football doesn't extend past the Patriots and their multitudes of haters.

I'd bet that most of these folks would be perfectly happy having their preferred brand of politics on display.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'd bet that most of these folks would be perfectly happy having their preferred brand of politics on display.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of liberal-minded people like comics, but the moment Marvel started shoving SJW and progressive politics to the point that it became a distraction, their sales tanked.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Did they? I don't follow football. I just know how it is to have crap shoved into media you're interested in.

No, I was being facetious. I was pointing out they are already political since we play our national anthem before sporting events for some odd reason.

Upvote 0