✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hello all,

I haven’t been on the forum in quite some time. I also haven’t been to liturgy in several months as well.

Edited:took more personal info out

Aside from all that I’ve been going to catholic mass with him. He said it helps him a lot. He was not interested in orthodoxy at all when I converted. I just can’t sit and watch him suffer and only take care of myself spiritually. Yes I can pray which I have been doing but he really does feel better after attending catholic mass.

We signed up to a parish and I’ve been going to with him to help. He’s actually doing better but I have this horrible guilt feeling for leaving the eastern church. But I have to take care of my family. I didn’t denounce or leave the eastern church in my heart but at the same time I have to be a wife. It’s just such a tough time for everyone. He’s having anxiety attacks often and it’s tough to watch.

I’m going through a lot spiritually myself over this. I did have a talk with a catholic priest and made confession this past week. I had communion once since then. I feel connected with my family again. It is very difficult to be alone in my end and then watch family members plummet on their own. I was always the only religious person in the family.

After two years however many things changed and not for the better of the family as a whole. I haven’t talked to my priest about it, because I feel horrible. Sad thing is I really don’t want to leave. I absolutely love the church. That’s where my heart is but i am a wife and mother. I cannot let my family tear apart over it either.

Last edited:

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hello all,

I haven’t been on the forum in quite some time. I also haven’t been to liturgy in several months as well.

My husband is going through a terrible time dealing with his mothers death and his sister losing the house they both inherited. She’s homeless basically and living in a hotel. We cannot have her live with us because she steals and causes so much drama with fighting and doesn’t want to work and her son is schitzophrenic and gets violent.

Aside from all that I’ve been going to catholic mass with him. He said it helps him a lot. He was not interested in orthodoxy at all when I converted. I just can’t sit and watch him suffer and only take care of myself spiritually. Yes I can pray which I have been doing but he really does feel better after attending catholic mass.

We signed up to a parish and I’ve been going to with him to help. He’s actually doing better but I have this horrible guilt feeling for leaving the eastern church. But I have to take care of my family. I didn’t denounce or leave the eastern church in my heart but at the same time I have to be a wife. It’s just such a tough time for everyone. He’s having anxiety attacks often and it’s tough to watch.

I’m going through a lot spiritually myself over this. I did have a talk with a catholic priest and made confession this past week. I had communion once since then. I feel connected with my family again. It is very difficult to be alone in my end and then watch family members plummet on their own. I was always the only religious person in the family.

After two years however many things changed and not for the better of the family as a whole. I haven’t talked to my priest about it, because I feel horrible. Sad thing is I really don’t want to leave. I absolutely love the church. That’s where my heart is but i am a wife and mother. I cannot let my family tear apart over it either.
Praying for you with this!

I do recommend talking to your priest (from your Orthodox parish). It’s important to do that. It sounds like a very difficult situation, and I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the prayers. I’m going to do that today. I feel so horrible though. The sad thing is I don’t want to leave. I was very happy and loved it there.
Honestly, and I don’t mean to be harsh here, I don’t think the right thing is to leave the Church. Perhaps you could attend every other week (both churches), or do something like that, but I really don’t think converting to Catholicism is the right choice, especially with sacraments.

Talk to the priest about it and pray. Yes caring for your husband is a critical thing to do...I just don’t think leaving the Church is the only way to do it.

Continued prayers!

Reactions: PittBullMom
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I emailed the priest at EO church and he responded. I’ll keep that private but thank you all for your prayers ❤️
Glad to hear that. Continued prayers ❤️

• Friendly
Reactions: PittBullMom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lord have mercy, PBM! I'm so sorry to hear all these things. God bless you! The one blessing, though, is it's NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK IN HERE!

hello all,

My husband is going through a terrible time dealing with his mothers death and his sister losing the house they both inherited. She’s homeless basically and living in a hotel. We cannot have her live with us because she steals and causes so much drama with fighting and doesn’t want to work and her son is schitzophrenic and gets violent.

Upvote 0

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, and I don’t mean to be harsh here, I don’t think the right thing is to leave the Church. Perhaps you could attend every other week (both churches), or do something like that, but I really don’t think converting to Catholicism is the right choice, especially with sacraments.

Talk to the priest about it and pray. Yes caring for your husband is a critical thing to do...I just don’t think leaving the Church is the only way to do it.

Continued prayers!

I did exchange emails with the priest finally. It’s tough to go to both places every Sunday. It makes for a long day especially when he goes during the week too. Orthros through coffee hour then a 5 pm mass. It’s tough.

Being without communion is rough on the soul. Way back when I was a catechumen I remember having a discussion and the priest said Jesus is present in the Roman Catholic host. I believe that as well.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did exchange emails with the priest finally. It’s tough to go to both places every Sunday. It makes for a long day especially when he goes during the week too. Orthros through coffee hour then a 5 pm mass. It’s tough.

Being without communion is rough on the soul. Way back when I was a catechumen I remember having a discussion and the priest said Jesus is present in the Roman Catholic host. I believe that as well.
Just to clarify - I didn’t mean to go both places each Sunday. I meant to go to the Orthodox Church one Sunday and the Catholic Church the next, perhaps with vespers on that Saturday. That way you can still have the Eucharist every other Sunday. Obviously what your priest says is more important than my thoughts though :)

I was praying for you today at vigil. It’s one of the Feasts of the Cross tomorrow; praying that Christ helps you bear your cross as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums