Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's tonight's work.

Eyes AGAIN. I acquired a sheet of thick perspex in opaque white so I cut the eye shapes and put them in the oven until they were soft enough to bend and contour inside the helmet.

Next, I found some hex-pattern steel mesh on the front of some old speakers. I cut them to shape for the eyes too. The vision through them is pretty good. If I do use the perspex I will glue them in with a gap at the bottom to see through. Otherwise I might find some good LED's to put in there on their own instead.

Glued them in with hot glue, taped them up and painted the whole helmet in the shiny gold acrylic. Once that's dry, I'll mask off the faceplate and lip then paint the rest of the helmet the anodised red over the gold. Should come up pretty stunning.

nGJrsQh.jpg

9Bb3xrx.jpg

BtVsLNh.jpg

P3PERSv.jpg

4ZBnZaW.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

God's personal photographer on call
Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been working my dodgy electrical skills for a couple of days getting in these 180 Lumen LEDs behind some opaque perspex. Vision is limited, but I can still see what's in front of me.

The lights have kill switches inside the helmet, as well as contacts on the faceplate to cheek that activate the eyes once the faceplate is down.

Still having problems with the faceplate mechanism stripping the plastic gear on the servo though. I feel some superglue is needed....

I'm ready for the padding now.

bBD735M.jpg

ZD8f2oR.jpg

0S2R7Sf.jpg

eK9yE23.jpg

8exmIaS.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been working on one of the shoulder bells this week.

1. First coat of filler to bulk it out.
I1cAdxz.jpg

2. Starting to shape and smooth as layers are applied and sanded.
1FpjGkv.jpg

3. Spray putty and a sand for the finer holes.
lnCgU0v.jpg

4. Primer filler and a sand in preparation for the final coats.
KeuQL4C.jpg

5. Undercoat of metallic gold.
wvX2vSw.jpg

6. Final coat of anodised red over the gold. Sweet!
UMwYcXR.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've really been putting in the hard yards with the chest and back piece lately. Up until today it was one piece and impossible to get onto the tape-dummy or onto my own body. I've been dreading this bit.

So today I installed some heavy plastic buckles on the inside, fibreglassed them in position then cut the pieces apart right on the join of the buckles.

1. Male buckle installed on the back piece at rib-level

2. Female buckle installed on chest piece at rib-level

Ta5mk0L.jpg

8wYaT5M.jpg

3. Preparing for painting!
jXKRRNH.jpg

Today I started on filling the hip pods with car-filler and finally started painting the chest and back.

1q3CznZ.jpg

1i7WryS.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Another test-fit before final coats on the chest piece. Nothing is secured where it should be properly yet, hence the displaced shoulder bell.
2. Chest and back painted. Arc reactor fitted and powered up.
3. The top half of the suit so far. Lots to start fixing together now, padding out the inside and adding all the attachment points to lock it all together.

1OwMyJI.jpg

0YckYkY.jpg

WXs0Ctu.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Padded the insides of the armour today to stop the layers from scratching each other where they overlap. After that, I used socket-head cap-screws to bolt the pieces together. Another quick test fit on me, then back on the mannequin with all the parts.

V72VLHZ.jpg

QLuJepd.jpg

gtNSENU.jpg

TM0dlds.jpg

xiMcKnV.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Getting the final fitting done on a half-finished suit and preparing for it's first night out in public!

qaxp8Vp.jpg

2. Only a week to go before the suit goes out in public. Cleaned the shed, organised the benches, got all the fibreglass and bog, paint, sandpaper, files, hot-glue and more, ready to get into some serious overtime this week to get as much done as possible. I at least want to have the whole upper-body finished. No time for the legs. Oh well, at least I'll be able to sit down at the party.

z60xPRd.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Day one of 1 of 6 - got a couple of hours in the shed today so I've been slush casting and putty-filling madly to get done by party time on day 6. Slush casting completed on shoulder bell, bicep and most of left forearm. Bit of filling done on shoulder bell.

JC6UGSJ.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. A fair bit of progress today. Lots of fibreglassing curing in the shed. In the meantime, the neck piece has been a problem as the rigid fibreglass one offers no movement, plus I can't get my head through it. This new EVA foam one does the trick.

1PS49D3.jpg

2. Fitting with alternate-locking velcro plates.

ZNV84Z8.jpg

3. With helmet. Making some return springs to close the helmet behind my head. More on that bit later.

pojaxuo.jpg

4. Neck piece painted with vinyl spray for flexibility.

vvqBe1K.jpg

Four days to go!

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3 days left.....

1. Got the neck installed.

2, 3 & 4. Got the left arm hardened, jointed and have started filling.

5. Got a shoulder bell hardened, filled and sanded. Just put the undercoat on it.

6. Got the waist sorted out, just got to go down town and get some velcro to finish it. I'm having a quick lunch now then back to the shed for some serious sanding muscle.

krZR9tr.jpg

bGDnL6o.jpg

1R2nK9T.jpg

j1yEpc0.jpg

YNaypP0.jpg

GJKCbhJ.jpg

Upvote 0