God's personal photographer on call
Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abdominal and waist armour fitted. Velcro to pull in my fat guts and a couple of nylon straps to hold it up.

tWDHXDZ.jpg

juqADMg.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tonight's the night! I worked on the suit right up until 5am this morning. Last bit of painting and fitting happening now.

Here's the waist setup finished.
l8tNbfV.jpg

lwzEHGW.jpg

Very rushed job on the arms to get them done. They are painted now and baking outside in the sun.

rsHiPxZ.jpg

T4ywrZM.jpg

diSjFaq.jpg

hkOnQwo.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While that was happening, I fitted straps and clips to the inside of the shoulder bell and bolted the plastic receiver to the inside of the shoulder.

NgCM7uq.jpg

RYoArbO.jpg

LP26i4G.jpg

ozTW29F.jpg

That's the top half complete enough to wear tonight. That's if I don't collapse from exhaustion first....

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's some failure feedback for those attempting similar. I've just got my brother to come around ten minutes ago to help me put it all on and see what mobility I have and make any adjustments. Might have a few holes to drill and bolts to install. I can't move my arms much because the shoulder bells jam on the chest piece.

The suit is not anatomically correct in the Pepakura files, so even though my height and width measurements were entered in the scaling software, the proportions just don't work.

It's wearable with limited movement, but after the initial fuss at the party dies down, I'll take the arms off to relax.

Like the first observatory, the second will be a huge improvement. There are so many things I would do different, but you have to try it all out to find out how.

I'll still finish the rest of the suit. It still makes a great statue in the observatory.

aIIGKGD.jpg

7fpKUnd.jpg

7IxyqDL.jpg

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First night out in the suit (top half) a raging success. Hanging out with Mr Riddick and the Green Lantern, among many others. Lots of good clean fun.

A few things I learned that are very useful:

1. The suit, while difficult to move my arms, was very comfortable and kept me quite cozy in the cool night air.
2. Visibility in the helmet was difficult in the dark so they will need work. Helmet was very comfortable and having a hinged faceplate was fantastic.
3. The upper body is too bulky so the next one will have to be tailored in under the arms to allow arm movement.
4. Need to find a better way to attach the arms to the chest-piece.
5. Very happy with the waist setup. Easy on , easy off and flexible. Still, I want to rebuild it in aluminium and have it bolt together for cosplay.
6. Will re-do the neck piece in RED eva foam, instead of trying to paint blue EVA with red vinyl spray. It still cracks and flakes.

Aluminium suit.... here I come.

9n0sAEs.jpg

Upvote 0

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hahahaha that's completely awesome! :thumbsup:

So what was the original suit made out of? And did you use a 3D printer to shape each piece or did you do it manually?
If you mentioned these things somewhere I'm sorry, I was only able to have a quick look through everything hahaha

Upvote 0

bloodhound31

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
✟8,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did some fill-welding in low points and cracks then re-ground smooth.

IEAbR1Y.jpg

Welded in some thin strips in the eyes. I'll be doing this right around the faceplate.

XC3GEsw.jpg

Thin strip filed smooth and shaped the edge. That's starting to give it some depth now.

qzCD9KT.jpg

Started on the next bits. Small steps and taking time will get this done.

u8nlCIl.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums