Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just ordered a copy, so that will give me some more reading material for the upcoming cold winter nights.

Hope you enjoy that walk down memory lane. I rarely read classics when I was younger, sticking to the horror and romance fiction, but wanted to try on classics for size when I was older. I've been happy with most of them. There's a joy in reading them as a kid but another level of understanding and enjoyment finding them as an adult.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent books! I have not read Catcher in the Rye since high school many years ago. I should probably get a copy and read it again.

You should...

I read it in college (required for freshman English) and thought it was hilarious.
Of course, it had serious elements also.
My favorite line from it is: "A horse is at least human". o_O

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This year Banned Books Week, sponsored by the American Library Association, will be held on September 23rd to 29th. It is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and recognizing those books that have been challenged or banned in libraries.

Since Banned Books Week was instituted in 1982, more than 11,300 books have been challenged or banned. Among the books that have been challenged or banned are the Dictionary (contains dirty words), Where's Waldo (cartoon boobs), The Diary of Anne Frank (sexual references), The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (attacks the logging industry), The Catcher in the Rye (sexual references and profanity), Animal Farm (Communist political theories), Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (cross dressing), Charlotte's Web (showing lower life forms with human abilities is sacrilegious and disrespectful to God) and the entire Harry Potter series (witchcraft).

I hope that you will all read a banned or challenged book to commemorate the week.
Don't forget the Anarchists Cookbook, I use to have one of those...

How far do we take this freedom, I mean the Anarchist Cookbook, can make a single individual very dangerous, and can make a terrorist very easily...

Or books strongly supporting and promoting militantism, or other ideas kind of like Hitler and others like him had... Books telling you why you should kill and hurt people, or animals, ect... Or Books supporting and promoting some very sick and twisted things and making them seem perfectly OK, and perfectly logical and reasonable and OK, and they can it even go so far as to make it (bad) seem good...

What about books openly promoting and supporting Satanism and Satan worship, with some Ideas like that that some secret societies and various cults have about Satan, him being good or the good one, and God bad, or Jesus is Satan or Satan is Jesus, or God is Satan, or Satan is the Holy Spirit or "whatever"... Should books like that be allowed...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catcher in the Rye was about the author revealing his own closeted homosexuality in the protagonist character.
Titus 1:15 "Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled."

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How far do we take this freedom, I mean the Anarchist Cookbook, can make a single individual very dangerous, and can make a terrorist very easily...
If you are talking about the promotion of terrorism then I think a missile to take out that server would be justified. That would stand as a warning for people to be sure not to have any information like that on their system. Of course terrorist today are big believers in censorship. They are only to happy to get into a computer system of those they do not agree with to cause any problems they can cause. We are to be as wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If you are talking about the promotion of terrorism then I think a missile to take out that server would be justified. That would stand as a warning for people to be sure not to have any information like that on their system. Of course terrorist today are big believers in censorship. They are only to happy to get into a computer system of those they do not agree with to cause any problems they can cause. We are to be as wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove.
So, are you saying certain kinds of books should be banned? Or not...?

Or, what about a book openly promoting terrorism... Should they be banned...?

When does a book or document promoting open rebellion, armed or otherwise, or armed, become a book on terrorism...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we should do what we can to ban the promotion of terrorism. There is nothing wrong with starting to think the way they will think during the 1,000 year reign of Christ. We will rule and reign with Christ here on the Earth for 1,000 years. They will beat their sword into a plow and the world will know 1,000 years of peace. So we can promote life and health, not death and destruction.

We choose life or death, sickness or health, blessing or curse, poverty or prosperity. God will not make our decision for us. Each individual has to make that decision for themselves.

Joel 3:14 "Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision."

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget the Anarchists Cookbook, I use to have one of those...

Or books strongly supporting and promoting militantism, or other ideas kind of like Hitler and others like him had... Books telling you why you should kill and hurt people, or animals, ect... Or Books supporting and promoting some very sick and twisted things and making them seem perfectly OK, and perfectly logical and reasonable and OK, and they can it even go so far as to make it (bad) seem good...

What about books openly promoting and supporting Satanism and Satan worship, with some Ideas like that that some secret societies and various cults have about Satan, him being good or the good one, and God bad, or Jesus is Satan or Satan is Jesus, or God is Satan, or Satan is the Holy Spirit or "whatever"... Should books like that be allowed...?

God Bless!

OK, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Constitutionalist, but I believe that restricting and censoring ideas (speech, books, photos, music, drama, etc.) causes far more problems in the long run than allowing them. Allowing them means we can freely speak and write against them, and people will decide which to follow. If we speak the truth, the lies will eventually fall.

Eventually...

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Somehow seems odd here in 2018 to be celebrating freedom to read. I assume that's the exact same thing as freedom to hear people speak? But yet... :scratch:
The pen is mightier than the sword. Do you want to battle with the pen or with swords? Could be the pen well win the battle. Interesting how the people that ban so much on this forum claim they support freedom of the press.

Isaiah 55 "10 For just as rain and snow fall from heaven and do not return without watering the earth, making it bud and sprout, and providing seed to sow and food to eat, 11 so My word that proceeds from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please, and it will prosper where I send it."

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The pen is mightier than the sword. Do you want to battle with the pen or with swords? Could be the pen well win the battle. Interesting how the people that ban so much on this forum claim they support freedom of the press.

Isaiah 55 "10 For just as rain and snow fall from heaven and do not return without watering the earth, making it bud and sprout, and providing seed to sow and food to eat, 11 so My word that proceeds from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please, and it will prosper where I send it."
I honestly don't know what you're saying or asking me.

• Agree
Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably"

This is true, but "complete freedom is (said to be) complete anarchy" also, no structure, no laws, no order, just chaos... It binds us all, in that we have to make rules and laws, and deny or disallow some things, or label some things as criminal, illegal, forbidden, banned, censured, ect...

But we all have very different ideas, and are not of one mind at all, about what should be allowed or is permissible, and what is or should not be allowed or is not permissible...

If we could all come to something we could be of one mind about about with this, that would certainly be something...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But we all have very different ideas, and are not of one mind at all, about what should be allowed or is permissible, and what is or should not be allowed or is not permissible...

If we could all come to something we could be of one mind about about with this, that would certainly be something...

God Bless!

The Supreme Court has laid out conditional restrictions on these freedoms to avoid "complete anarchy"; the "time, place, and manner" limitations, although imperfect, I believe are gradually striking a good balance:

We all know about restrictions on yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or disrupting worship services.

Hopefully, we all know that "obscene material" and military secrets are not protected by the First Amendment.

Human history repeatedly shows the repressive effects of censorship. In general, society works because most of the people want order and peace most of the time. Those who feel otherwise can be a problem, and sometimes, an inspiration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course they should be. Terrorist should not be allowed to spread death and destruction. Although Trump mostly controls terrorism by cutting off their supply of money.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably"
Just the opposite. James says the tongue: "It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." No one can know freedom if the do not first tame their tongue. When we serve God He watches our words very close and we have to be very careful what we say. People like David when they speak the words of God they are purified so their words are true and pure. If we want to serve God we have to be Holy & Sanctified and set apart from the World.

Psalm 12:6 "The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold."

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course they should be. Terrorist should not be allowed to spread death and destruction. Although Trump mostly controls terrorism by cutting off their supply of money.
Who decides then where the line is drawn between what is banned and what is not...?

And doesn't things like that/this lead to one inescapable conclusion: revolution or rebellion against those things (those boundaries, what is banned, not banned, ect) in time?, if they are not subject to evolve, or flow or change or grow with society and the course that the people are on...?

As for Trump, there are some things I do like about him, but some things I do not like at all also...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who decides then where the line is drawn between what is banned and what is not...?
God will decide when the Earth is cleansed by Fire. Just like He decided in the days of Noah when the earth was cleansed by water. Or the days of Lot when Sodom was destroyed with fire and brimstone.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Just the opposite. James says the tongue: "It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." No one can know freedom if the do not first tame their tongue. When we serve God He watches our words very close and we have to be very careful what we say. People like David when they speak the words of God they are purified so their words are true and pure. If we want to serve God we have to be Holy & Sanctified and set apart from the World.

Psalm 12:6 "The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold."
You have to redefine the word "chains"...

It can mean, "bind, restrict, creating the necessity or need for "boundaries", or laws or rules, and/or regulations, ect... Without any order or structure all is and a society is lost in chaos... The word "chains" us simply could mean to bring in order and structure, and not to mention rights, and also rules and laws and regulations, ect... Which may not be such a bad thing, for without it we are lost basically, in this world and is this realm the way it is designed most especially...

God Bless!

Upvote 0