Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, you call him what you want, I'll call him Father and won't worry what others calls him.

It is a good attitude generally, to be tolerant on matters like this, and to be commended, but with the comment that how we refer to God should be with reverence. I too will refer to the Father as such, and to the Lord Jesus by his name, and for that matter to the Spirit by an appropriate scriptural designation. Each is a distinct person and together they have unity in equality as divine in being. And hopefully we do not go in ignorance that Yahweh is God, while we desire growth in relationship with each of the persons.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is a good attitude generally, to be tolerant on matters like this, and to be commended, but with the comment that how we refer to God should be with reverence. I too will refer to the Father as such, and to the Lord Jesus by his name, and for that matter to the Spirit by an appropriate scriptural designation. Each is a distinct person and together they have unity in equality as divine in being. And hopefully we do not go in ignorance that Yahweh is God, while we desire growth in relationship with each of the persons.
For me, the best way that we can show reverence to God is to call him Father and to really understand that he is our Father and treat him that way.

I'm sure that you know what it means to be a father, at least I hope so, and I never want to hear my son call me by my name. There is a special bond between parent and child and being call Dad always sends a spark into me. I absolutely love being a father.

God is the same and wants us to rely on him in a special way. How many religions have that Father-child bond like Christianity? That also sends chill through my spirit knowing that the creator of this entire universe wants to have a Father-son relationship with us.

To show reverence to God properly we should learn to love him as a Father and accept his Fatherly love back.

It seems as you have made that connection and I would be honored if I may call you brother.:crossrc:

God Bless,
Yarddog

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, the best way that we can show reverence to God is to call him Father and to really understand that he is our Father and treat him that way.

I'm sure that you know what it means to be a father, at least I hope so, and I never want to hear my son call me by my name. There is a special bond between parent and child and being call Dad always sends a spark into me. I absolutely love being a father.

God is the same and wants us to rely on him in a special way. How many religions have that Father-child bond like Christianity? That also sends chill through my spirit knowing that the creator of this entire universe wants to have a Father-son relationship with us.

To show reverence to God properly we should learn to love him as a Father and accept his Fatherly love back.

It seems as you have made that connection and I would be honored if I may call you brother.

Thank you, Yarddog, for recognizing our brotherhood in Christ, and it would be well if that was more generally done at these Forums, making certain as we do so that we have been given testimony in some way of the true faith in the course of dialogue. And as it happens, I have come to know what it means to be a father, although Christians at any stage of life might join and come into dialogue at these Forums, and I did not think I said anything that suggested that about me. I would say God the Father is Father through the redemption in Christ to those regenerated according to the promise for faith and by adoption, and we can recognize him as our heavenly Father with respect. But as he is one person, and Jesus Christ is a distinct person, how would you think our Lord Jesus should be spoken of and addressed? I would not think the same way. And yet they are in full unity, and there is only one God. And in scripture that is given to us from him, God most frequently goes be the name of Yahweh, about 7000 times, as God introduced himself by the name of Yahweh while saying this name should be remembered for all generations, it does not seem from that to be disrespectful to do so, and his people, not without reverence, used his name regularly in the Bible in speaking to him and of him. So I would say that we can remember that Yahweh is God, as Yahweh is the God of the Bible, as opposed to all false ideas about what is God, and specifically the person that is God the Father is the one we should think of and address as our heavenly Father, according to his great grace.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Hebrew is YHWH.
I am not even certain they use the 'letter' v.
There were things i read that suggested v was not in their alphabet. But dont quote me. Been a while since i heard anything.

Nevertheless, i saw copies of ancient transcripts that show YHWH.
It means 'I Am.Who Am'
Not a name per say, since God does not have a name we can say. But it is His Being.
Obviously we are not fit to say His name.... so we were technically never given His name.

But we were never to speak His Essense, His 'Being' and Blaspheme it. Thus Adonai was always substituted.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Hebrew is YHWH.
I am not even certain they use the 'letter' v.
There were things i read that suggested v was not in their alphabet. But dont quote me. Been a while since i heard anything.

Nevertheless, i saw copies of ancient transcripts that show YHWH.
It means 'I Am.Who Am'
Not a name per say, since God does not have a name we can say. But it is His Being.
Obviously we are not fit to say His name.... so we were technically never given His name.

But we were never to speak His Essense, His 'Being' and Blaspheme it. Thus Adonai was always substituted.

Glad to have you here to discuss this, and I do not desire to offend you, but have you read through the posts in this discussion? But without emphasizing everything and my positions to all of it, I have pursued the point that what God revealed as his name is a name, and, as it never was blasphemy to be said originally, and it was to be remembered always, it never became blasphemy to say it, but we were required to speak of and to God reverently, which holds by the way to however we refer to him. There is not complete consensus as to what his name "means" but it is revealed to Moses in Exodus 3v15 with the the phrase that is translated in one way as 'I Am.Who Am', and it may well be a word play to keep God's self-existence in mind with the use of his name. And indeed, very frequently in scripture, as you may keep in mind when you see it in future reading of the Bible, is the phrase in what God says, often at the end of something, "I am Yahweh". and especially when readings are in the Prophets, "Then they shall know that I am Yahweh". It is the name he revealed to be his name and said it should be remembered for all generations, so according to that it is a name. And further, we should understand as well as we can from our limitations what we can of his essence, whether we know or have been given his name or not, which means that we know that the one and only true God is the self-existent Creator, not having beginning or cause, but is the existence that necessarily is, all other existence not being so, but existing from the Creator's initiating such, according to his creative will, his creative authority, and his creative power.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Glad to have you here to discuss this, and I do not desire to offend you, but have you read through the posts in this discussion? But without emphasizing everything and my positions to all of it, I have pursued the point that what God revealed as his name is a name, and, as it never was blasphemy to be said originally, and it was to be remembered always, it never became blasphemy to say it, but we were required to speak of and to God reverently, which holds by the way to however we refer to him. There is not complete consensus as to what his name "means" but it is revealed to Moses in Exodus 3v15 with the the phrase that is translated in one way as 'I Am.Who Am', and it may well be a word play to keep God's self-existence in mind with the use of his name. And indeed, very frequently in scripture, as you may keep in mind when you see it in future reading of the Bible, is the phrase in what God says, often at the end of something, "I am Yahweh". and especially when readings are in the Prophets, "Then they shall know that I am Yahweh". It is the name he revealed to be his name and said it should be remembered for all generations, so according to that it is a name. And further, we should understand as well as we can from our limitations what we can of his essence, whether we know or have been given his name or not, which means that we know that the one and only true God is the self-existent Creator, not having beginning or cause, but is the existence that necessarily is, all other existence not being so, but existing from the Creator's initiating such, according to his creative will, his creative authority, and his creative power.

Well, according to Jewish Tradition, they never wrote YHWH but one time.
The Scribes who wrote the scriptures by hand over and over also sang the Scripture as they penned it. For it is Holy.
They did not; however; use the Essense of Who God is, except but once for fear of Blasphemy.

I watched history of and from the Rabbonic Jews for this info some number of years ago.

YH - I AM, and WH - Who Am. IE _ He is The One _ He Exists as Who He is.

I suppose you can check out what i am saying.

Adonai was a deliberate replacement of the Tetragrammaton.

Maybe this can help.
Tetragrammaton - Definition of Tetragrammaton at YourDictionary.com

And for clarity - here is the Hebrew lettering.
TETRAGRAMMATON

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I said, it may be a word play, for the name revealed by Yahweh God to Moses when Moses did not know and had to ask when the manifestation of God appeared to him to send him to the Israelites sounded like the phrase, in Hebrew, he used saying effectively "I am who I am". He then said in the same passage it was the name to be remembered for all generations, and the name was used almost 7000 times in scripture, more than the other names, so it is not true that it was written just once. It was not peculiar in being written with just consonants, all the words in Hebrew were written with just consonants, vowels not being introduced until much later in writing, when Jewish leaders had already started telling followers not to use the name anymore. But it was not forbidden in the Bible to use God's name, just to hold God's name, including all reference to him, in respect.

Upvote 0