Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sounds bloody fantastic. To use the word y'all do in 2 ways, lol.

Edit
Is bloody a bad word where you live? I thought about that after I wrote what I did. If it is, please let me know, I won't use it again. It's not around here. But we don't use it the way y'all do.

Hey GB - No, 'bloody' as an adjectival expletive would not be acceptable among most of the people I know, even the non-christians. One's views on using 'gros mots' (as the French call foul language) will often depend on which ponds one swims in. When I was in my teens and twenties, in the UK in the 60s, foul language was the norm for me and my mates at that time. But none of us would have used 'bloody'. It would have been seen as old fashioned, too posh and too tame.
I do remember a young man who joined 'the lads' (forestry work gang) who's strongest language was "Oh bother!". He was a Christian. He fitted in in his way. But I understand now how difficult it must have been for him.
Go well
><>

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
...........it would be consistent to have Australian and New Zealandic
Naw.
I live in England and am therefore English.

So those who live in New Zealand should be Zealish. It also has the added blessing of describing a characteristic, ie. full of zeal.

Strine and Zealish!

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Except those who live in Zeeland are Zeelandic, those in Iceland, Icelandic, and so forth...

English being the delightfully inconsistent mish-mash that it is!
But when it comes to the English language, the only arbiters that count, have to be the English themselves!

So that discounts the opinions of the revolting Americans who drove away the Brits in the 1700s.:wave:

It also discounts the opinions of all the riffraff and convicts we drove away to Oz in the 1800s.:wave:

Both lots, plus many others, abandoned the real language when they parted company!

We English obviously own the original patent for the English language, and everything else is just a cheap copy.:clap:

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Ha.

Given that my heritage is only about 1/4 English speaking, I'll leave you to crow about your superiority in that language, and comfort myself with my cosmopolitan sophistication. :p
That's really good for a Strine, I could actually read and understand it. Lol
I normally have to use.- Strine - Dictionary Of Terms

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But when it comes to the English language, the only arbiters that count, have to be the English themselves!

So that discounts the opinions of the revolting Americans who drove away the Brits in the 1700s.:wave:

It also discounts the opinions of all the riffraff and convicts we drove away to Oz in the 1800s.:wave:

Both lots, plus many others, abandoned the real language when they parted company!

We English obviously own the original patent for the English language, and everything else is just a cheap copy.:clap:

Years ago on BBC I recall an interview with a leading linguist and an expert on English dialects. He was asked if there was any place on earth where pure unaccented English was spoken. His answer was surprisingly "south-western Ontario Canada."

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have heard before the claim that American accents preserve an earlier English sound than what is currently spoken in England (ie. it's the English in England that changed more over time).

And I'm not Strine by birth, so clearly I've been slow to adapt their peculiarities.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Years ago on BBC I recall an interview with a leading linguist and an expert on English dialects. He was asked if there was any place on earth where pure unaccented English was spoken. His answer was surprisingly "south-western Ontario Canada."

To me Canadians have an accent. The way about & out are said sound different to me. It's a nicer accent than mine tho, lol.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although 'y'all' was probably originally reserved for the plural form it has over time become used for both the singular and plural forms.

Which is exactly what happened to "you," which was originally only a plural.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have heard before the claim that American accents preserve an earlier English sound than what is currently spoken in England (ie. it's the English in England that changed more over time).
That is what I understood too, although how they can tell, I don't know.
I imagine that in the last century, accents hugely migrated with the advent of the gramophone record and then radio.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Colonial populations don't maintain accents inviolate, but there is a founders effect. So the speech form that arrived thus influences later migrants and undergoes its own evolution. So this means that it maintains slang terms of the period of colonialisation as words in their own right, often forgotten at home, or maintains 'archaic' pronunciations of some words.

For instance, the lazy slurring of Australian has been connected to the original poenal colony's heavy alcohol use, which subsequent sober descendants or migrants maintained - as the 'received' form.
Or there is an island in Maryland whose current accents devolved from Elizabethan English before the Great Vowel Shift, so maintans a semblance of the Shakespearean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

And I'm not Strine by birth, so clearly I've been slow to adapt their peculiarities.

Paidiske,

The couple who live across the road from me in my village are from Lancashire in the UK (not far from Manchester). I find her accent so difficult to understand. Other Aussies in this village have similar hassles with the accent.

The Scottish accent is a challenge for me to understand.

Oz

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Paidiske,

The couple who live across the road from me in my village are from Lancashire in the UK (not far from Manchester). I find her accent so difficult to understand. Other Aussies in this village have similar hassles with the accent.

The Scottish accent is a challenge for me to understand.

Oz

Come down to the Deep South sometime if you want a real challenge understanding folks with accents, lol. I only lived there for a year but the accent really stuck with me. Lol. I go to college in the South, you'd think I'd have no problem being understood but I still get teased on account of my accent. The teasing is all friendly, I get a kick out of it.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Come down to the Deep South sometime if you want a real challenge understanding folks with accents, lol. I only lived there for a year but the accent really stuck with me. Lol. I go to college in the South, you'd think I'd have no problem being understood but I still get teased on account of my accent. The teasing is all friendly, I get a kick out of it.

GB,

I've been to your 'Deep South' when I lived and studied for 7 years in the USA and Canada. I understand what you mean.

Oz

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
GB,

I've been to your 'Deep South' when I lived and studied for 7 years in the USA and Canada. I understand what you mean.

Oz

That's great! I'd love to study in Australia or NZ. I love fishing & hunting, I heard NZ has some of the best places for that in the world.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
For instance, the lazy slurring of Australian has been connected to the original poenal colony's heavy alcohol use, which subsequent sober descendants or migrants maintained - as the 'received' form.
Shame on you for accepting such absolute hogwash at face value. I've read Frankel's fact free opinions on this and heard him speak. He confuses being drunk with sounding drunk, speech with writing and goes beyond simple articulation to suggest we're all incapable of expressing ourselves. (listen to the interview embedded in the article I've linked below - the link is at the bottom of the article - I couldn't stop laughing)

As a teacher in public speaking Frankel is an outstanding example of the adage;
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail

But don't take my word for it. Here's an opinion from a professional linguist:
Claims Aussie accent slurred because our forefathers were always drunk 'absolute rubbish' says expert (ABC, Oct 2015)
(Interview link is at the bottom of this article)
OB

Upvote 0