Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing as it comes from Wisconsin, it is not Canadian bacon --- some sort of "mystery meat" maybe?

I never eat it on account of how I think of it as diet food. It's fat free, flavor free. My mom buys it when she's on a diet. Idk why when real bacon isn't even that high in calories either, but ok. It's called Canadian bacon everywhere in America. You see it on the menu. The only time it's any good at all IMO is when it's coated in hollandaise sauce on an egg Benedict done right, so not diet food at all.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Long live Australia and New Zealand!

Especially when they play, (1) Rugby Union and (2) Cricket.

images

3600.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_7-3-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-4_7-3-44.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry y'all this is the bacon wat is really bacon! A Guide To English Back Bacon
:) ><>

This is great! God bless you. I could survive on bacon. British back bacon is the best. Shame it's not more common around my parts. I like that sausage they have with it too. Bangers. Do they have that in Australia & NZ too? Idk why it's not popular here. We love sausage but haven't got that one.

Is bacon jerky popular where you are? I love that stuff.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is great! God bless you. I could survive on bacon. British back bacon is the best. Shame it's not more common around my parts. I like that sausage they have with it too. Bangers. Do they have that in Australia & NZ too? Idk why it's not popular here. We love sausage but haven't got that one.

Is bacon jerky popular where you are? I love that stuff.

Jerking with bacon seems to be a preoccupation of you Northern Haemorrhoids. We in the Southern Hemisphere tend not to fetishize our bacon. Generally speaking, a small Scotch fillet or even a lightly fried chicken thigh, with a variety of salads, will keep us happy.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I like calling them the Antipodes, so this should be Antipodean. Doesn't make much sense where I am from, but the usage was established in Britain after all.
So QeV does that make us who live on top of the world Podians? :scratch:
><>

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you follow prescriptive grammar or descriptive grammar?
Ozpen - I lead, it follows. But of course one should always keep the map handy. :)

A Quora entry explained:
The word “language” itself can be placed before the subject noun as an “attributive noun,” a noun serving an adjectival function. For example, the phrase “language barrier” is very common.
You might be interested in the reply I received from a person representing the Translation Committee for the NIV.
Great reply on the Quora thread by that bloke using a sponge analogy but he lost me with his obinion/odinion ?:scratch:
Go well
><>

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jerking with bacon seems to be a preoccupation of you Northern Haemorrhoids. We in the Southern Hemisphere tend not to fetishize our bacon. Generally speaking, a small Scotch fillet or even a lightly fried chicken thigh, with a variety of salads, will keep us happy.
OB

Northern Haemorrhoids? Is that hemorrhoids spelled the Australian way? Lol. I never thought of myself as fetishizing anything but you know what all the weird fetishes folks are into, I'm pretty content with mine being with eating bacon as many ways as possible. Oh yes we love our bacon. We put bacon in chocolate bars. Donuts! Muffins! Ice cream sundaes! Bacon jerky is the best on account of how portable it is. My girlfriend's granny takes bacon, cuts it up into tiny pieces like bacon bits & caramelizes it. She puts it on top of desserts, eats it like candy. There's nothing better than a piece of pecan pie with some of her bacon sprinkled on top.

I'm happy with fried chicken thighs too. Idk what a Scotch fillet is but I'm sure I'd like it too. I'd like the salad but would like it best with bacon. :D

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I like calling them the Antipodes, so this should be Antipodean. Doesn't make much sense where I am from, but the usage was established in Britain after all.

Whereabouts are you from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Northern Haemorrhoids? Is that hemorrhoids spelled the Australian way?
No, it's haemorrhoids spelled the proper way in a real dictionary where spelling is kept as difficult as possible to keep out the illiterati. :p
I'm pretty content with mine being with eating bacon as many ways as possible. Oh yes we love our bacon. We put bacon in chocolate bars. Donuts! Muffins! Ice cream sundaes!...…etc……etc...
This severe baconitis probably helps to explain why you're all dying off early. I have heard that few Americans make it past their 30th birthday these days. :(
Idk what a Scotch fillet is but I'm sure I'd like it too.
Along with the Eye Fillet it's one of the better steak cuts. To be eaten flame sealed on the outside and raw in the middle. :)

upload_2018-12-5_9-56-21.jpeg
OB

• Informative
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

The things you learn on this forum, lol. I had no idea they were also called piles. Can't say I've ever given it all that much thought tho.

Y'all spell a bunch of words with the ae.

This severe baconitis probably helps to explain why you're all dying off early. I have heard that few Americans make it past their 30th birthday these days. :(

I lived all summer long on sausage biscuits & bacon jerky from 7-11. Seeing as how they didn't kill me, I think I'm alright. I do make sure I stay fit, so that helps offset the baconitis some. AAR I'm willing to take my chances. 30 is still a long ways off for me, so I'm just going to enjoy my bacon as much as possible till then. When I get married I want my groom's cake to have candied bacon bits in between the layers. PTL my girlfriend loves bacon as much as I do. It'd be grounds for ending it all if she became a vegan or something.

Along with the Eye Fillet it's one of the better steak cuts. To be eaten flame sealed on the outside and raw in the middle. :)

View attachment 246425
OB

That sounds bloody fantastic. To use the word y'all do in 2 ways, lol.

Edit
Is bloody a bad word where you live? I thought about that after I wrote what I did. If it is, please let me know, I won't use it again. It's not around here. But we don't use it the way y'all do.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Is bloody a bad word where you live? I thought about that after I wrote what I did. If it is, please let me know, I won't use it again. It's not around here. But we don't use it the way y'all do.

'Bloody' is an 'intensifier' - it strengthens a statement i.e.:

"It's bloody hot" is a much stronger statement than "It's hot"

Some (uptight) people could see it as mildly rude but for most of us it just occasionally slips into normal speech - just don't overdo it.

It's also known as The Great Australian Adjective based on an old poem by WT Goodge, so it also has literary cred.

When I really need to swear we have a number of, far more effective, words to choose from.:rolleyes:

Edit: was just watching an address by the British High Commissioner to Australia where she used the term 'Bloody marvellous!'. The sky didn't fall.
OB

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Some (uptight) people could see it as mildly rude but for most of us it just occasionally slips into normal speech - just don't overdo it.

It's also known as The Great Australian Adjective based on an old poem by WT Goodge, so it also has literary cred.

When I really need to swear we have a number of, far more effective, words to choose from.:rolleyes:

OB

When I was a young officer in the Canadian Army I spent a summer (1963) on maneuvers with the Royal Welch Fusiliers. That was the most "colourful" language I had ever heard and I have never heard the like since.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Whereabouts are you from?
South Africa.
Northern Haemorrhoids? Is that hemorrhoids spelled the Australian way? Lol. I never thought of myself as fetishizing anything but you know what all the weird fetishes folks are into, I'm pretty content with mine being with eating bacon as many ways as possible. Oh yes we love our bacon. We put bacon in chocolate bars. Donuts! Muffins! Ice cream sundaes! Bacon jerky is the best on account of how portable it is. My girlfriend's granny takes bacon, cuts it up into tiny pieces like bacon bits & caramelizes it. She puts it on top of desserts, eats it like candy. There's nothing better than a piece of pecan pie with some of her bacon sprinkled on top.

I'm happy with fried chicken thighs too. Idk what a Scotch fillet is but I'm sure I'd like it too. I'd like the salad but would like it best with bacon. :D
Scotch Fillet is a type of rib-eye cut.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Edit: was just watching an address by the British High Commissioner to Australia where she used the term 'Bloody marvellous!'. The sky didn't fall.
OB
Bloody used to be one of the worst swearwords in English. This is why it was used in My Fair Lady, though real Cockneys said it would never be used so flippantly. It was a reference to Jesus' holy blood originally (although other etymologies are also possible), so was a form of blasphemy. Overuse weakened it over time into something mild, similar to French Sacre Bleu. At the time of transportations to Botany Bay, it was as bad as the F word today, so was common there, of course.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Bloody used to be one of the worst swearwords in English. This is why it was used in My Fair Lady, though real Cockneys said it would never be used so flippantly. It was a reference to Jesus' holy blood originally (although other etymologies are also possible), so was a form of blasphemy. Overuse weakened it over time into something mild, similar to French Sacre Bleu. At the time of transportations to Botany Bay, it was as bad as the F word today, so was common there, of course.

I just looked it up in the Online Etymological Dictionary.

Like you, I also associated it with 'God's Blood' or similar but the Dictionary doubts that that is it's origin. Apparently it was once 'respectable' but, as you mentioned, was considered an obscenity by the late 1700s. The Pygmalion connection also gets a mention:

bloody (adj.
...It has been a British intensive swear word at least since 1676. Weekley relates it to the purely intensive use of the cognate Dutch bloed, German Blut. But perhaps it ultimately is connected with bloods in the slang sense of "rowdy young aristocrats" (see blood (n.)) via expressions such as bloody drunk "as drunk as a blood."

Partridge reports that it was "respectable" before c. 1750, and it was used by Fielding and Swift, but heavily tabooed c. 1750-c. 1920, perhaps from imagined association with menstruation; Johnson calls it "very vulgar," and OED writes of it, "now constantly in the mouths of the lowest classes, but by respectable people considered 'a horrid word', on par with obscene or profane language."

The onset of the taboo against bloody coincides with the increase in linguistic prudery that presaged the Victorian Era but it is hard to say what the precise cause was in the case of this specific word. Attempts have been made to explain the term's extraordinary shock power by invoking etymology. Theories that derive it from such oaths as "By our Lady" or "God's blood" seem farfetched, however. More likely, the taboo stemmed from the fear that many people have of blood and, in the minds of some, from an association with menstrual bleeding. Whatever, the term was debarred from polite society during the whole of the nineteenth century. [Rawson]

Shaw shocked theatergoers when he put it in the mouth of Eliza Doolittle in "Pygmalion" (1914), and for a time the word was known euphemistically as "the Shavian adjective." It was avoided in print as late as 1936. Bloody Sunday, Jan. 30, 1972, was when 13 civilians were killed by British troops at protest in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
OB

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I just looked it up in the Online Etymological Dictionary.

Like you, I also associated it with 'God's Blood' or similar but the Dictionary doubts that that is it's origin. Apparently it was once 'respectable' but, as you mentioned, was considered an obscenity by the late 1700s. The Pygmalion connection also gets a mention:

bloody (adj.
...It has been a British intensive swear word at least since 1676. Weekley relates it to the purely intensive use of the cognate Dutch bloed, German Blut. But perhaps it ultimately is connected with bloods in the slang sense of "rowdy young aristocrats" (see blood (n.)) via expressions such as bloody drunk "as drunk as a blood."

Partridge reports that it was "respectable" before c. 1750, and it was used by Fielding and Swift, but heavily tabooed c. 1750-c. 1920, perhaps from imagined association with menstruation; Johnson calls it "very vulgar," and OED writes of it, "now constantly in the mouths of the lowest classes, but by respectable people considered 'a horrid word', on par with obscene or profane language."

The onset of the taboo against bloody coincides with the increase in linguistic prudery that presaged the Victorian Era but it is hard to say what the precise cause was in the case of this specific word. Attempts have been made to explain the term's extraordinary shock power by invoking etymology. Theories that derive it from such oaths as "By our Lady" or "God's blood" seem farfetched, however. More likely, the taboo stemmed from the fear that many people have of blood and, in the minds of some, from an association with menstrual bleeding. Whatever, the term was debarred from polite society during the whole of the nineteenth century. [Rawson]

Shaw shocked theatergoers when he put it in the mouth of Eliza Doolittle in "Pygmalion" (1914), and for a time the word was known euphemistically as "the Shavian adjective." It was avoided in print as late as 1936. Bloody Sunday, Jan. 30, 1972, was when 13 civilians were killed by British troops at protest in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
OB
The way I have it is that God's blood was a particularly egregious oath in Chaucer's day. Bloody underwent pejoration, replacing it as a euphemism in Puritan times, only to itself thus become an horrid oath. So while probably not its etymological origin it would appear, I certainly still think it likely played a part in bloody becoming a swearword. Mediaeval swearwords are mostly religious in nature (as many other languages still are), but English shifted to bodily functions after the Reformation.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
South Africa.

Scotch Fillet is a type of rib-eye cut.

Oh wow. A gal on here, Stanfordella, told me about going to South Africa this summer. She had a really great time there. I'd love to go one day myself. Rib eyes are my favorite cut.

Upvote 0