but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, if you're a semi Stephen King fan, chances are you won't know the answer to this question, but for the fanatics like me, can anyone answer me this. (not a quiz question, btw, I do need to know the answer)

In King's Nightshift collection, there is a short story called Strawberry springs. Can anyone tell me who Springheel Jack is based on? I ask because King usually makes it clear when he uses someone else's idea for his stories. In 'Salem's Lot, he spoke a lot about Stoker and how he was influenced by him.

The story of Springheeled Jack has been around for a long time and I was wondering if he acknowledges that he is not the creator of that myth.

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basically he (supposedly) existed in London in the Victorian era. He had the power to generate flames in his stomach and attacked several yung women and murdered a prostitute. He was able to leap very high without the means of any visible aids. When the polise tried to catch him he could easily leap over houses to escape. There is a lot about him on the internet but I read about him in my world atlas of the unexplained.

Theories as to who he is are varied. Some say he was a man named Waterford (I think) because Jack lost his cloak while being chased on time and the police found a large gold W inside. But Waterford died and jack continued to appear. Some say he was a being from outer space but mostly people just don't know.

King usually credits other people's ideas or other legends he's used as inspiration. But I don't know if he invented Spring heeled jack and the world atals stole the idea, or if if Stephen King stole the idea.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok I must be one of a very few who noticed this...and you lot call youself fans ;) !Anyone know how I can contact him by letter or whatever? I've been a fan for years and at last have a qorthwhile question to ask him instead of the usual "Where do you get your inspiration?"

Incidentally, Misery is a great book! Gives me the shivers when I read it! "You dirty birdie! You killed Misery!" hehe. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend Needful Things. Really didn't like Dreamcatcher though. Will have to give it another go sometime but it's the only one I've ever given up on.

Upvote 0