United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pax, Ειρήνη, שלום! Christ is Risen!!!

I have long been of the strong opinion that anyone seeking to understand the Old Testament, most especially Genesis & the Holy Torah, must have at least some understanding of Ancient Egypt. Indeed, as an instituted Reader of the Catholic Church, I am to study Scripture assiduously; part of that, for me, is to take time to study Ancient Egypt in a disciplined manner. Egypt was the crucible of the most important events of the Holy Torah, and, moreover, is a sort of golden thread throughout all of Scripture due to this initial influence.

Of particular fascination to many, both lay Biblical students & academic scholars, is the period of the domination of the Hyksos over Egypt in the 15th dynasty (roughly). These were likely peoples of Western Semitic, probably Levantine origin, who – through the use of superior weaponry and internal weaknesses of the 14th dynasty – essentially ended the aforenoted dynasty, ruling lower Egypt from the Delta city of Avaris. I note in passing that the Land of Goshen, where the Hebrews dwelt, is near Avaris in the eastern Delta. The name of the Hyksos means "rulers of foreign lands" (Egyptian: hekau khasut) rather than the erroneous "shepherd kings" recorded by Flavius Josephus. While they were certainly originally Canaanites, they quickly adopted Egyptian culture. Their leaders took on the roles of pharaohs.

For a long time, due in part to the characterization of the writings of the Egyptian priest, Manetho, they were seen as violent conquerors. Yet, recent evidence demonstrates that they probably slowly migrated into Egypt over a long period of time, and eventually grew numerous enough to supplant the 14th dynasty (cf. Ex. 1:9). This, intriguingly, suggests a connection – however tenuous – to the account in Genesis and the role of Joseph (a Hebrew Canaanite) as Grand Vizier; perhaps even to a Hyksos Pharaoh. But these speculations are not the focus of this treatise.

As a student of both Scripture and comparative ancient religion, I am fascinated by the Hyksos devotion to the Egyptian "god," Set (Egyptian: "Sutekh"). Prior to the coming of the Hyksos, Set was understood in an ambivalent, and sometimes even positive light. He is most famous for the myth of his antagonism towards Horus, yet this is a later myth that may perhaps be influenced by the history of the Hyksos in Egypt. Regardless, Set has attributes that are extremely similar, almost tantalizingly so, to Canaanite "gods"...notably the God of Israel, the Lord (I personally refuse to type the Tetragrammaton, much less add vowels to it; hence the God of Israel, when named, will be Lord henceforth, as per Jewish & Christian tradition).
Set Egypt.png

To begin, it's important to understand how pre-Hyksos Egypt understood this deity. Set in early times was seen as benevolent "god." In fact, his cult was one of the oldest in Egypt, and he seems to have been a chthonic deity related to the underworld. Egyptians would pray to him to help their deceased family. In this regard, Set was the father of the more well-recognized Anubis. Moreover, Set had a role as the defender of the "god," Ra. As many might know, Ra was one of the most important deities of the Egyptian pantheon as the deity of the sun, order, kings, and the sky. According to early legends, Ra was threatened by a primordial serpent of chaos, darkness, and disorder: Apep. In one legend, Set comes to the aid of Ra and fights off Apep, effectively saving Ra & preserving the proper order of the cosmos.

This "heroic" Set is quite different from what would come later.

And it's likely that the Hyksos played a major role in that, in my opinion. According to many sources, Set became the "patron" deity of the Hyksos. One text records that the Hyksos pharaoh, Apophis "chose for his lord the god Set. He did not worship any other deity in the whole land except Set." This monolatrism is quite curious given the deeply polytheistic nature of Ancient Egyptian society. Moreover, why Set at all? The answer is rather simple: the Canaanite Hyksos saw in Set a parallel to their own "gods." In particular, Canaanites worshipped a variety of deities associated with storms, weather, rain, fertility, and thunder. They generally referred to this deity as "Ba'al" ("lord"), a general title, or gave them specific names like Hadad, Chemosh, Molech, etc.

The deity Ba'al, as a unique figure, played an important role in the Ba'al Cycle of Ugaritic texts, wherein he slays the sea serpent, Yam ("sea"), a creature of chaos. He does this for his father, El, the supreme Semitic deity. The parallel with Set as defender of Ra against Apep was rather noticeable. Hence, it is not surprising that the Hyksos adopted Set as a patronal deity and showed little interest in native Egyptian ones initially. Moreover, intriguingly, Set for the Hyksos was understood as having both Astarte and Anat as consorts (both uniquely Canaanite "goddesses" often idolatrously paired with the Lord by apostate Israelites). This points to Set as being seen as equivalent to a Ba'al of some kind.

All that explanation aside, I wonder strongly if the Patriarch Joseph, whilst in Egypt understood the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as reflected in Set. This is not to say that Joseph saw the Lord & Set as equivalent! Not at all. Joseph's God, the Lord, was a tribal God who was patron of his family, and, most likely other Hebrews who had followed Abraham as tribal leader. Keep in mind too that this was not yet the time when the Lord revealed Himself completely to the Hebrews, although they likely knew His Name at varying times (Gen. 4:26), if only derivatively. The revelation of "I am who I am" appears to be Mosaic in nature, and provides the "explanation" for the Tetragrammaton ("He Who Is").

That said, there are a number of important similarities between Joseph's God, the Lord, and Set. There are clues that, at the least, the Pharaoh who made Joseph his Grand Vizier saw the Hebrew God as a form of Set. This wasn't at all uncommon in the ancient world. Many peoples when, encountering foreign deities, would associate them with "gods" they already knew. Here now I will lay out my case that Set & the Lord were considered functionally equivalent by the Pharaoh of Joseph, and, most likely, the Egyptian people of the time:

The first clue is in the Bible itself, quite fittingly. The Lord is described in many ways, but a good summary is in Deut. 33:26-28. The Lord is a God who controls the weather, gives fertility, engages in warfare (heavenly & tribal), orders the seasons, leads the hosts (stars), controls the sun & moon, hurls lightning & fire as his weaponry, keeps checks on the bounds of the sea, communicates in dreams, speaks via prophets or seers, dwells upon or is associated with sacred mountains, and is King over all the "gods" & the "divine council." In this way, the Lord actually uniquely combines Canaanite ideas about their deities into a single God. To early Hebrews & to polytheistic Canaanites, the Lord is simultaneously: El (Elyon), Ba'al, Hadad, Resheph, Ba'al Shamim, El Shaddai, Nebo, Shamash, etc. This ability to transcend roles played by separate deities is part of what makes the revelation of God to Abraham so unique: He is beyond the "gods of the nations," and is sufficient in Himself...and for His People. Baruch HaShem l'olamim! Amein.

In any case, there are numerous similarities with how an ancient Hebrew might describe his God with the Egyptian Set. This, especially when we consider the positive view of Set in earlier times & during Hyksos rule. Many know that the Pharaoh gave Joseph a title after he successfully interpreted his dream. It is recorded in Gen. 41:45 as "Zaphnath-Paaneah" (צָפְנַת פַּעְנֵחַ). This is a Hebrew equivalent for the Egyptian: "Djed-pa-Netjer-iu-ef-Ankh""The god (Set?) speaks and he lives." Moreover, Set was understood as the lord of Upper Egypt (i.e. southern Egypt), and so was associated with drought & the deserts. Contrary to popular belief, cycles of drought and flooding were parts of everyday Egyptian life and farming. Note too that in the Joseph narrative, there are 7 years of drought & 7 years of plenty. This type of weather-related drought is a clear indication of a Sethian image, as well as that of the Lord (cf. Hag. 1:11). Moreover, the Lord is depicted frequently in the OT as a "God of the Wilderness" (Ex. 3:18 and throughout the Holy Torah). This would have been readily recognizable to the Egyptians & Hyksos as a Sethian motif. Moreover, the Lord – like Set – is understood as having destroyed the chaos monster of the sea. In Hebrew mythos, this is the being called "Leviathan" (לִוְיָתָן). The name is derived from the earlier Ugaritic "Lôtān." Both names mean "the coiling/twisting one" or something along those lines. In the Ba'al Cycle, it is Ba'al Hadad who slays Lôtān. In the inspired Bible it is the Lord, rather, who not only slays Leviathan, but provides its corpse as food to those in the wilderness (Ps. 74:14). Keep in mind that "wilderness" usually indicates deserts or desert-like conditions.

Naturally however, there are problems. The first are chronological issues which have still to be resolved. We are not certain when Joseph thrived, nor are we able to easily position his life within the 15th dynasty of Hyksos rule. Additionally, this is a very early time in Hebrew religious development. St. Moses the Prophet had not yet come; and even after his time, the Hebrews seem to only slowly move towards monotheism from more primitive henotheistic and monolatrist views of the Lord.

Yet, I contend, the problems are not insurmountable, nor do they take away from the value of this sense that Set & the Lord were considered functional equivalents. Indeed, I would go so far as to say this pagan idea may be evidence for the reality of the Exodus!

Not long after the Hyksos were subjugated and/or driven out by the native Egyptians, Set underwent a deleterious downgrade. No longer seen as beneficial, he becomes associated with darkness, destructive drought & storms, desertification, and chaos. He plays the villain in the crucial myth of Horus, who becomes seen as a more authentically "Egyptian" deity in contrast to Set. Xenophobia of Semitic peoples sets in and becomes tied to Set within Egyptian religion. He is still venerated and worshipped, but much as a Viking might pay homage to Loki or an ancient Greek might honor Typhon. And this is fascinating in the context of the Plagues of the Exodus.

Many are already aware that the Plagues of the Exodus are God judging the "gods" of the Egyptians (Ex. 12:12). Each plague corresponds to demonstrating the impotency of an important Egyptian "god" who played important roles in Egyptian society:

I. Water Turned to Blood (Hapi)
II. Frogs Coming From the Nile (Hekhet)
III. Lice From the Earth's Dust (Geb)
IV. Swarms of Flies (Khepri)
V. Death of Cattle and Livestock (Hathor)
VI. Ashes Turned to Boils and Sores (Isis)
VII. Hail in the Form of Fire (Nut)
VIII. Locusts Sent From the Sky (Osiris)
IX. Three Days of Complete Darkness (Ra, Horus, Amun)
X. Death of the Firstborn (Pharaoh)

Some have mistakenly seen God attacking/judging Set with the locusts, but this is due to anachronism & the fact that the plagues are multivalent attacks. Set did not protect Egypt from locusts...if anything, he often sent them! Osiris, however, was the primary guardian of the land's fertility & agriculture. Thus, the Lord is judging Osiris, which is a pretty big deal in terms of Egyptian mythology & religion! God is saying "I Am stronger than death!"

This curious absence of Set in the plagues is not coincidental. It is likely that the Egyptians did not understand who this "God of the Hebrews" was. As the Pharaoh of the Exodus states clearly: “But Pharaoh said, ‘Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord, and moreover, I will not let Israel go.’” (Ex. 5:2). The Egyptians, if pressed, probably associated Him with Set or some other foreign deity. Regardless, the sheer panic and fear that the Lord brought upon Egypt far exceeded Set, yet also was consistent with the chaotic activity associated with him. Indeed, the fact that the Israelites are set free and despoil the Egyptians in the process isn't surprising. If Horus, Ra, Isis, and Osiris could not protect Egypt, then getting the Hebrews out ASAP was quite understandable!

One final point: Why did Pharaoh chase after St. Moses and the Hebrews? Many would say it was the hardness of his heart or the economic losses from the exodus of so many workmen. The Holy Torah itself is ambiguous, merely saying: “When the king of Egypt was told that the people had fled, the mind of Pharaoh and his servants was changed toward the people, and they said, ‘What is this we have done, that we have let Israel go from serving us?’” (Ex. 14:5). Yet, there may be a religious answer that has been long forgotten. If the Egyptians saw Set as the God of the Hebrews, then to be so abased by Set (especially in the context of the Horus Myth) would be utterly intolerable. The Pharaoh was the keeper of ma'at (justice; cosmic order). He was considered Horus in life, and then Osiris in death (after which he was deified). As the embodiment of these religious beliefs, the Plagues of the Lord were degrading beyond words. Hence, one can religiously explain Pharaoh mustering such a massive & powerful force (Ex. 14:6-9) to chase down the Israelites. Among his other desires, one was surely the intention of wreaking not only personal vengeance but avenging the honor of his "gods."

So ends now my theory. I welcome respectful criticism, disagreements, and additional thoughts that may help or correct my perspective as outlined here. And I end with a verse dear to my heart:

"Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?" (Ex. 15:11)

מִי־כָמֹכָה בָּאֵלֶם יָה' מִי כָּמֹכָה נֶאְדָּר בַּקֹּדֶשׁ נוֹרָא תְהִלֹּת עֹשֵׂה פֶלֶא׃

Last edited:

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Regardless, Set has attributes that are extremely similar, almost tantalizingly so, to Canaanite "gods"...notably the God of Israel, the Lord
Usually, Set or Seth (Σήθ) is equated with Baal. Your view is intriguing in that Moses is reported to have been ignorant of the name of the Lord before their meeting at the burning bush. Note that Seth is also the name of Adam's son.

Ra was one of the most important deities of the Egyptian pantheon as the deity of the sun, order, kings, and the sky.
Ra was not only one of the gods but the manifestation of the hidden god Amun. "All gods are three: Amun, Re, and Ptah, whom none equals. He who hides his name as Amun, he appears to the face as Re, his body is Ptah."

According to early legends, Ra was threatened by a primordial serpent of chaos, darkness, and disorder: Apep. In one legend, Set comes to the aid of Ra and fights off Apep, effectively saving Ra & preserving the proper order of the cosmos.
The primordial serpent Apep is a picture of Satan.

1683372122160.png

Here now I will lay out my case that Set & the Lord were considered functionally equivalent by the Pharaoh of Joseph, and, most likely, the Egyptian people of the time:
This is an unusual theory for the origin of Yahweh's worship. You're essentially saying that Yahweh is the same as Baal, the latter being his title Lord. I understand the word Baal means Lord (often translated as "master" for distinction) but this does not mean he is Yahweh.

Moreover, the Lord is depicted frequently in the OT as a "God of the Wilderness" (Ex. 3:18 and throughout the Holy Torah). This would have been readily recognizable to the Egyptians & Hyksos as a Sethian motif.
This rather suggests that the Lord was originally a deity of desert-dwellers, Beduins, Midianites.

The first are chronological issues which have still to be resolved. We are not certain when Joseph thrived, nor are we able to easily position his life within the 15th dynasty of Hyksos rule.
A literal reading of the Biblical chronology would place the Exodus about 1446 BCE, on the basis of the statement in 1 Kings 6:1 that the Temple was founded 480 years after the Exodus. According to Josephus, "They left Egypt in the month Xanthicus, on the fifteenth day of the lunar month; four hundred and thirty years after our forefather Abraham came into Canaan, but two hundred and fifteen years only after Jacob removed into Egypt (Josephus, Ant II 15:2)."

This indicates Jacob came to Egypt around 1661 BC, which would be during Egypt's 14th dynasty.

Yet, I contend, the problems are not insurmountable, nor do they take away from the value of this sense that Set & the Lord were considered functional equivalents.
It depends on whether you by "the Lord" Baal or Yahweh.

Not long after the Hyksos were subjugated and/or driven out by the native Egyptians, Set underwent a deleterious downgrade. No longer seen as beneficial, he becomes associated with darkness, destructive drought & storms, desertification, and chaos. He plays the villain in the crucial myth of Horus, who becomes seen as a more authentically "Egyptian" deity in contrast to Set.
Very true. According to the myth, Seth killed Osiris and dismembered him. Only Osiris' wife, Isis, was able to bring him back to life long enough to conceive Horus and give birth to Egypt's New Kingdom.

Hence, one can religiously explain Pharaoh mustering such a massive & powerful force (Ex. 14:6-9) to chase down the Israelites.
Did Pharaoh chase down the Israelites to bring them back to Egypt or to make sure they were gone from Egypt? In Tacitus' report, perhaps based on Manetho, the pharaoh is portrayed as a conquering hero who reportedly drove Moses’s “lepers” all the way into Canaan, as far as the Syrian border.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Pax, Ειρήνη, שלום! Christ is Risen!!!

I have long been of the strong opinion that anyone seeking to understand the Old Testament, most especially Genesis & the Holy Torah, must have at least some understanding of Ancient Egypt. Indeed, as an instituted Reader of the Catholic Church, I am to study Scripture assiduously; part of that, for me, is to take time to study Ancient Egypt in a disciplined manner. Egypt was the crucible of the most important events of the Holy Torah, and, moreover, is a sort of golden thread throughout all of Scripture due to this initial influence.

Of particular fascination to many, both lay Biblical students & academic scholars, is the period of the domination of the Hyksos over Egypt in the 15th dynasty (roughly). These were likely peoples of Western Semitic, probably Levantine origin, who – through the use of superior weaponry and internal weaknesses of the 14th dynasty – essentially ended the aforenoted dynasty, ruling lower Egypt from the Delta city of Avaris. I note in passing that the Land of Goshen, where the Hebrews dwelt, is near Avaris in the eastern Delta. The name of the Hyksos means "rulers of foreign lands" (Egyptian: hekau khasut) rather than the erroneous "shepherd kings" recorded by Flavius Josephus. While they were certainly originally Canaanites, they quickly adopted Egyptian culture. Their leaders took on the roles of pharaohs.

For a long time, due in part to the characterization of the writings of the Egyptian priest, Manetho, they were seen as violent conquerors. Yet, recent evidence demonstrates that they probably slowly migrated into Egypt over a long period of time, and eventually grew numerous enough to supplant the 14th dynasty (cf. Ex. 1:9). This, intriguingly, suggests a connection – however tenuous – to the account in Genesis and the role of Joseph (a Hebrew Canaanite) as Grand Vizier; perhaps even to a Hyksos Pharaoh. But these speculations are not the focus of this treatise.

As a student of both Scripture and comparative ancient religion, I am fascinated by the Hyksos devotion to the Egyptian "god," Set (Egyptian: "Sutekh"). Prior to the coming of the Hyksos, Set was understood in an ambivalent, and sometimes even positive light. He is most famous for the myth of his antagonism towards Horus, yet this is a later myth that may perhaps be influenced by the history of the Hyksos in Egypt. Regardless, Set has attributes that are extremely similar, almost tantalizingly so, to Canaanite "gods"...notably the God of Israel, the Lord (I personally refuse to type the Tetragrammaton, much less add vowels to it; hence the God of Israel, when named, will be Lord henceforth, as per Jewish & Christian tradition).
View attachment 329990
To begin, it's important to understand how pre-Hyksos Egypt understood this deity. Set in early times was seen as benevolent "god." In fact, his cult was one of the oldest in Egypt, and he seems to have been a chthonic deity related to the underworld. Egyptians would pray to him to help their deceased family. In this regard, Set was the father of the more well-recognized Anubis. Moreover, Set had a role as the defender of the "god," Ra. As many might know, Ra was one of the most important deities of the Egyptian pantheon as the deity of the sun, order, kings, and the sky. According to early legends, Ra was threatened by a primordial serpent of chaos, darkness, and disorder: Apep. In one legend, Set comes to the aid of Ra and fights off Apep, effectively saving Ra & preserving the proper order of the cosmos.

This "heroic" Set is quite different from what would come later.

And it's likely that the Hyksos played a major role in that, in my opinion. According to many sources, Set became the "patron" deity of the Hyksos. One text records that the Hyksos pharaoh, Apophis "chose for his lord the god Set. He did not worship any other deity in the whole land except Set." This monolatrism is quite curious given the deeply polytheistic nature of Ancient Egyptian society. Moreover, why Set at all? The answer is rather simple: the Canaanite Hyksos saw in Set a parallel to their own "gods." In particular, Canaanites worshipped a variety of deities associated with storms, weather, rain, fertility, and thunder. They generally referred to this deity as "Ba'al" ("lord"), a general title, or gave them specific names like Hadad, Chemosh, Molech, etc.

The deity Ba'al, as a unique figure, played an important role in the Ba'al Cycle of Ugaritic texts, wherein he slays the sea serpent, Yam ("sea"), a creature of chaos. He does this for his father, El, the supreme Semitic deity. The parallel with Set as defender of Ra against Apep was rather noticeable. Hence, it is not surprising that the Hyksos adopted Set as a patronal deity and showed little interest in native Egyptian ones initially. Moreover, intriguingly, Set for the Hyksos was understood as having both Astarte and Anat as consorts (both uniquely Canaanite "goddesses" often idolatrously paired with the Lord by apostate Israelites). This points to Set as being seen as equivalent to a Ba'al of some kind.

All that explanation aside, I wonder strongly if the Patriarch Joseph, whilst in Egypt understood the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as reflected in Set. This is not to say that Joseph saw the Lord & Set as equivalent! Not at all. Joseph's God, the Lord, was a tribal God who was patron of his family, and, most likely other Hebrews who had followed Abraham as tribal leader. Keep in mind too that this was not yet the time when the Lord revealed Himself completely to the Hebrews, although they likely knew His Name at varying times (Gen. 4:26), if only derivatively. The revelation of "I am who I am" appears to be Mosaic in nature, and provides the "explanation" for the Tetragrammaton ("He Who Is").

That said, there are a number of important similarities between Joseph's God, the Lord, and Set. There are clues that, at the least, the Pharaoh who made Joseph his Grand Vizier saw the Hebrew God as a form of Set. This wasn't at all uncommon in the ancient world. Many peoples when, encountering foreign deities, would associate them with "gods" they already knew. Here now I will lay out my case that Set & the Lord were considered functionally equivalent by the Pharaoh of Joseph, and, most likely, the Egyptian people of the time:

The first clue is in the Bible itself, quite fittingly. The Lord is described in many ways, but a good summary is in Deut. 33:26-28. The Lord is a God who controls the weather, gives fertility, engages in warfare (heavenly & tribal), orders the seasons, leads the hosts (stars), controls the sun & moon, hurls lightning & fire as his weaponry, keeps checks on the bounds of the sea, communicates in dreams, speaks via prophets or seers, dwells upon or is associated with sacred mountains, and is King over all the "gods" & the "divine council." In this way, the Lord actually uniquely combines Canaanite ideas about their deities into a single God. To early Hebrews & to polytheistic Canaanites, the Lord is simultaneously: El (Elyon), Ba'al, Hadad, Resheph, Ba'al Shamim, El Shaddai, Nebo, Shamash, etc. This ability to transcend roles played by separate deities is part of what makes the revelation of God to Abraham so unique: He is beyond the "gods of the nations," and is sufficient in Himself...and for His People. Baruch HaShem l'olamim! Amein.

In any case, there are numerous similarities with how an ancient Hebrew might describe his God with the Egyptian Set. This, especially when we consider the positive view of Set in earlier times & during Hyksos rule. Many know that the Pharaoh gave Joseph a title after he successfully interpreted his dream. It is recorded in Gen. 41:45 as "Zaphnath-Paaneah" (צָפְנַת פַּעְנֵחַ). This is a Hebrew equivalent for the Egyptian: "Djed-pa-Netjer-iu-ef-Ankh""The god (Set?) speaks and he lives." Moreover, Set was understood as the lord of Upper Egypt (i.e. southern Egypt), and so was associated with drought & the deserts. Contrary to popular belief, cycles of drought and flooding were parts of everyday Egyptian life and farming. Note too that in the Joseph narrative, there are 7 years of drought & 7 years of plenty. This type of weather-related drought is a clear indication of a Sethian image, as well as that of the Lord (cf. Hag. 1:11). Moreover, the Lord is depicted frequently in the OT as a "God of the Wilderness" (Ex. 3:18 and throughout the Holy Torah). This would have been readily recognizable to the Egyptians & Hyksos as a Sethian motif. Moreover, the Lord – like Set – is understood as having destroyed the chaos monster of the sea. In Hebrew mythos, this is the being called "Leviathan" (לִוְיָתָן). The name is derived from the earlier Ugaritic "Lôtān." Both names mean "the coiling/twisting one" or something along those lines. In the Ba'al Cycle, it is Ba'al Hadad who slays Lôtān. In the inspired Bible it is the Lord, rather, who not only slays Leviathan, but provides its corpse as food to those in the wilderness (Ps. 74:14). Keep in mind that "wilderness" usually indicates deserts or desert-like conditions.

Naturally however, there are problems. The first are chronological issues which have still to be resolved. We are not certain when Joseph thrived, nor are we able to easily position his life within the 15th dynasty of Hyksos rule. Additionally, this is a very early time in Hebrew religious development. St. Moses the Prophet had not yet come; and even after his time, the Hebrews seem to only slowly move towards monotheism from more primitive henotheistic and monolatrist views of the Lord.

Yet, I contend, the problems are not insurmountable, nor do they take away from the value of this sense that Set & the Lord were considered functional equivalents. Indeed, I would go so far as to say this pagan idea may be evidence for the reality of the Exodus!

Not long after the Hyksos were subjugated and/or driven out by the native Egyptians, Set underwent a deleterious downgrade. No longer seen as beneficial, he becomes associated with darkness, destructive drought & storms, desertification, and chaos. He plays the villain in the crucial myth of Horus, who becomes seen as a more authentically "Egyptian" deity in contrast to Set. Xenophobia of Semitic peoples sets in and becomes tied to Set within Egyptian religion. He is still venerated and worshipped, but much as a Viking might pay homage to Loki or an ancient Greek might honor Typhon. And this is fascinating in the context of the Plagues of the Exodus.

Many are already aware that the Plagues of the Exodus are God judging the "gods" of the Egyptians (Ex. 12:12). Each plague corresponds to demonstrating the impotency of an important Egyptian "god" who played important roles in Egyptian society:

I. Water Turned to Blood (Hapi)
II. Frogs Coming From the Nile (Hekhet)
III. Lice From the Earth's Dust (Geb)
IV. Swarms of Flies (Khepri)
V. Death of Cattle and Livestock (Hathor)
VI. Ashes Turned to Boils and Sores (Isis)
VII. Hail in the Form of Fire (Nut)
VIII. Locusts Sent From the Sky (Osiris)
IX. Three Days of Complete Darkness (Ra, Horus, Amun)
X. Death of the Firstborn (Pharaoh)

Some have mistakenly seen God attacking/judging Set with the locusts, but this is due to anachronism & the fact that the plagues are multivalent attacks. Set did not protect Egypt from locusts...if anything, he often sent them! Osiris, however, was the primary guardian of the land's fertility & agriculture. Thus, the Lord is judging Osiris, which is a pretty big deal in terms of Egyptian mythology & religion! God is saying "I Am stronger than death!"

This curious absence of Set in the plagues is not coincidental. It is likely that the Egyptians did not understand who this "God of the Hebrews" was. As the Pharaoh of the Exodus states clearly: “But Pharaoh said, ‘Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord, and moreover, I will not let Israel go.’” (Ex. 5:2). The Egyptians, if pressed, probably associated Him with Set or some other foreign deity. Regardless, the sheer panic and fear that the Lord brought upon Egypt far exceeded Set, yet also was consistent with the chaotic activity associated with him. Indeed, the fact that the Israelites are set free and despoil the Egyptians in the process isn't surprising. If Horus, Ra, Isis, and Osiris could not protect Egypt, then getting the Hebrews out ASAP was quite understandable!

One final point: Why did Pharaoh chase after St. Moses and the Hebrews? Many would say it was the hardness of his heart or the economic losses from the exodus of so many workmen. The Holy Torah itself is ambiguous, merely saying: “When the king of Egypt was told that the people had fled, the mind of Pharaoh and his servants was changed toward the people, and they said, ‘What is this we have done, that we have let Israel go from serving us?’” (Ex. 14:5). Yet, there may be a religious answer that has been long forgotten. If the Egyptians saw Set as the God of the Hebrews, then to be so abased by Set (especially in the context of the Horus Myth) would be utterly intolerable. The Pharaoh was the keeper of ma'at (justice; cosmic order). He was considered Horus in life, and then Osiris in death (after which he was deified). As the embodiment of these religious beliefs, the Plagues of the Lord were degrading beyond words. Hence, one can religiously explain Pharaoh mustering such a massive & powerful force (Ex. 14:6-9) to chase down the Israelites. Among his other desires, one was surely the intention of wreaking not only personal vengeance but avenging the honor of his "gods."

So ends now my theory. I welcome respectful criticism, disagreements, and additional thoughts that may help or correct my perspective as outlined here. And I end with a verse dear to my heart:

"Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?" (Ex. 15:11)

מִי־כָמֹכָה בָּאֵלֶם יָה' מִי כָּמֹכָה נֶאְדָּר בַּקֹּדֶשׁ נוֹרָא תְהִלֹּת עֹשֵׂה פֶלֶא׃

Out of curiosity, what do you think of occult groups like the Temple of Set which link Set to Satan?

Also, what about the identification of Seth with Christ in some heretical Gnostic sects, and the Gnostic idea of the true God of the Pleroma, referred to as Bythos in the elaborate Valentinian cosmology, who was opposed to the God of Israel, who was blasphemously described as (forgive me, I despise Gnosticism, and I am merely reporting their vile belief, shared with the Marcionites and the Nazi “Positive Christianity”) an “incompetent demiurge” who created the world due to a mistake made by Sophia? Specifically, the text the Second Treatise on the Great Seth from the Nag Hammadi library comes to mind.

I mean, obviously being Anglican, Orthodox and Catholic the three of us, you @Reader Antonius , our mutual friend @Andrewn and myself, reject Gnosticism unequivocally; what I am wondering is if you see in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth any traces of connection to your idea, just as Mandaeism retains traces of the ancient sect that followed St. John the Baptist but not the Messiah he announced, Christ our God. Likewise I think Yazidism and Yarsanism are post-Gnostic religions influenced by a mixture of Christianity, Ophite Gnosticism, and extreme opposition to Islam, and they retain traces of these influences.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
what do you think of occult groups like the Temple of Set which link Set to Satan?
I had not heard of this religion until you mentioned it.

According to Wikipedia, "Setians believe that Set is the one real god and that he has aided humanity by giving them a questioning intellect, the "Black Flame", which distinguishes them from other animal species. Set is held in high esteem as a teacher whose example is to be emulated but he is not worshipped as a deity. Highly individualistic in basis, the Temple promotes the idea that practitioners should seek self-deification and thus attain an immortality of consciousness. Setians believe in the existence of magic as a force which can be manipulated through ritual."

This sounds like an interpretation of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Yesterday, I was talking with a person of Chinese origin who described the use of magic in Chinese religion. It sounds like the original Sin is seeking self-deification independently of God.

what about the identification of Seth with Christ in some heretical Gnostic sects,
A long time ago, I had a book about Gnostic sects. They frequently contradict each other and are quite confusing. Sometimes Christ and Jesus are different in their writings. According to Wikipedia, "Seth and Christ were identified as bearers of 'the true image of God who had recently appeared in the world as the Logos to rescue Jesus from the cross.'" Did Satan want to kill Jesus or to prevent His crucifixion? In the Gospels, it appears that demons knew Jesus was the Son of God. The temptations in the wilderness Satan's purpose seems to prevent the Crucifixion. Jesus called Peter "Satan" when Peter suggested He would not be crucified. But later, Satan moved the Jewish and Roman leaders to kill Jesus. It is, instead, the opposite of what Satan originally intended. By subjecting Jesus to torture, did Satan expect Jesus to save Himself, come down from the cross, worship him, and establish an earthly kingdom? Satan could not have imagined being able to kill the one he knew to be the immortal Son of God, could he?

and the Gnostic idea of the true God of the Pleroma, referred to as Bythos in the elaborate Valentinian cosmology, who was opposed to the God of Israel,
The fact that Gnostic ideas originated early in Christianity makes me suspect that they are based on Kabbalah and specifically the Pleoma is based on the concept of the Sefirot. I think this is their unifying point that starts to explain their weird ideas.

what I am wondering is if you see in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth any traces of connection to your idea,
According to Wikipedia, "Although the heresiologist Irenaeus criticized the supposed Gnostic belief that Simon of Cyrenewas a substitute who was crucified instead of Jesus,[4][6] the text of Second Treatise of the Great Seth, in context, says, "It was another, their father, who drank the gall and the vinegar; it was not I. They struck me with the reed; it was another, Simon, who bore the cross on his shoulder. It was another upon whom they placed the crown of thorns."[5]" It is interesting how Muslims came to believe this.

Mandaeism retains traces of the ancient sect that followed St. John the Baptist but not the Messiah he announced, Christ our God.
From reading about the Manadeans, I'm not sure whether they follow John or whether they make this claim to be considered among the People of the Book and acceptable to Muslims.

I think Yazidism and Yarsanism are post-Gnostic religions influenced by a mixture of Christianity, Ophite Gnosticism, and extreme opposition to Islam, and they retain traces of these influences.
I was under the impression they were sects of Zoroastrainism.

shared with the Marcionites
I don't know if Marcionites actually had gnostic beliefs. Their rejection of the OT does not automatically mean that they did. Eusebius in his history mentions that Marcionites were tortured and killed by the Romans and suffered side by side with other Christians.

You know a lot more about Gnostics and modern esoteric movements than I do. It would be interesting to hear more of your ideas.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The fact that Gnostic ideas originated early in Christianity makes me suspect that they are based on Kabbalah and specifically the Pleoma is based on the concept of the Sefirot. I think this is their unifying point that starts to explain their weird ideas

On this point I think you have it backwards, since the Kabbalah emerged in Rabinnical Judaism in the High Middle Ages with the publication of the Zohar, a book whose title means “Splendour,” and the acceptance of Kabbalah was controversial, with some prominent Jewish leaders accepting it, such as the Vilna Gaon and the Chasidim, and others, particularly those not a part of Sephardic or Ashkenazi communities, rejecting it. In general the consensus among dispassionate scholars is that Zoroastrian emanationism influenced Gnostic emanationism, and this was passed on to Kabbalah, with one important distinction, that being that the Kabbalists do not regard the God of the Hebrews in the Old Tetament as evil, obviously, nor do they regard creation as evil or matter as evil and are seeking to restore creation by reuniting the ten Sephirot and thus brining about the Messianic age and the World to Come, rather than to escape the material world created by Hashem (“the name”, which they call God, as Jewish piety precludes even using the word “Adonai” outside of the temple) into a purely spiritual realm.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I was under the impression they were sects of Zoroastrainism.
No, although there is a pan-Kurdish religious movement called Ishikism mainly active among Alevis that seeks to disassociate Alevism with Sufi Islam and link it with Yazidism and Yarsanism, and Zoroastrianism. Ishikism is controversial, with some Alevis embracing it and others fiercely opposing it. The extremely similiar Bektasi Sufism does not, as far as I am aware, have a large number of Ishikist supporters, but Bektasi Islam has a large number of Albanians and Turks as members, whereas Alevism consists of a mix of Turks and Kurds, and Mevlevi Sufism is predominantly Turkish and Syrian (and of course Alawism is Syrian, but contrary to popular belief, Alawism is very different from Alevism, although both are radically different compared to conventional Sunni Islam, except to the extent that Bashar Assad has sought to portray Alawism as being like Sunni Islam in accepting the Five Pillars, and so on, and has worked to ensure that Alawis in Damascus and other areas with substantial Sunni populations attend the mosques and appear like typical Sunnis or Jafari Shias. This is of course dissimulation, which is an officially sanctioned practice among Shia Muslims, which include Sufi groups the Alawis, the non-Ishikist Alevis, and the non-Ishikist Bektasis.

I think the Mevlevis are Sunni, but I could be wrong. There is a word, gulat, meaning heresy, which is applied specifically to some of the stranger Shia Sufi sects, like the Alevis and Bektasis and Alawis.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if Marcionites actually had gnostic beliefs. Their rejection of the OT does not automatically mean that they did. Eusebius in his history mentions that Marcionites were tortured and killed by the Romans and suffered side by side with other Christians.
I am pretty sure they did not have Gnostic beliefs, other than sharing with Gnostics a contempt for God in the Old Testament, who they believed was different from the God of the New Testament.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
A long time ago, I had a book about Gnostic sects. They frequently contradict each other and are quite confusing. Sometimes Christ and Jesus are different in their writings. According to Wikipedia, "Seth and Christ were identified as bearers of 'the true image of God who had recently appeared in the world as the Logos to rescue Jesus from the cross.'" Did Satan want to kill Jesus or to prevent His crucifixion? In the Gospels, it appears that demons knew Jesus was the Son of God. The temptations in the wilderness Satan's purpose seems to prevent the Crucifixion. Jesus called Peter "Satan" when Peter suggested He would not be crucified. But later, Satan moved the Jewish and Roman leaders to kill Jesus. It is, instead, the opposite of what Satan originally intended. By subjecting Jesus to torture, did Satan expect Jesus to save Himself, come down from the cross, worship him, and establish an earthly kingdom? Satan could not have imagined being able to kill the one he knew to be the immortal Son of God, could he?
Well, Satan, although cunning and devious, is notoriously inept when it comes to considering the long term consequences of his evil designs, which is why he was cast out of Heaven along with the fallen angels. This is probably due to pride; like Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi, who was modelled on the devil, the devil is too proud to consider the possibility of failure, although in his case he seems to have on two occasions become so intoxicated with self-love as to think he could overpower or otherwise harm the eternal, immutable, omnipotent and omniscient uncreated Creator of all of spacetime and everything that exists and happens in it.

The evil of the devil is a natural consequence of the goodness of God, since as Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal, argued, the one thing God cannot do is force us to love Him; to truly love God requires free will, and God, being all loving, grants us free will in the hopes that as many as possible will love Him, in the knowledge that some, such as the devil, will choose to love themselves instead. I think this is the reason why so much Eastern Orthodox theological writing, for example, in the Philokalia, warns of the dangers of self-love and we even see recent Orthodox monastic authors criticizing the promotion of self-esteem. Since in a sense Western civilization has degenerated from viewing pride as a vice to embracing it as a virtue. Indeed in my early twenties I was swollen with pride, in part because I thought that was what was how I should live.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On this point I think you have it backwards, since the Kabbalah emerged in Rabinnical Judaism in the High Middle Ages with the publication of the Zohar, a book whose title means “Splendour,”
Although Kabbalah in its current form developed in the Middle Ages, it has ancient origins. "Contemporary scholarship suggests that various schools of Jewish esotericism arose at different periods of Jewish history, each reflecting not only prior forms of mysticism, but also the intellectual and cultural milieu of that historical period."

"Contemporary scholarship largely agrees that Gnosticism has Jewish Christian origins, originating in the late first century AD in nonrabbinical Jewish sects and early Christian sects.[28][20][21][note 14] Ethel S. Drower adds "heterodox Judaism in Galilee and Samaria appears to have taken shape in the form we now call Gnostic, and it may well have existed some time before the Christian era."[29]: xv Many heads of gnostic schools were identified as Jewish Christians by Church Fathers, and Hebrew words and names of God were applied in some gnostic systems.[30]"

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0