ATTENTION ALL MOTHERS: If I eat another PB&J sandwich for lunch I'm going to explode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For the past three years I have had nothing but peanut butter and jelly for school lunch. I had no money to buy cafeteria food, and I get on the bus at 6, meaning whatever I have needs to be able to go without refrigeration for 5 or 6 hours.
Are there any good foods, or better sandwich idea, for lunch? Preferably something healthy, cheap, quick to prepare, and, because I now have a job and can buy cafeteria food, it needs to taste good so that I don't be tempted to just go for the fried macaroni and cheese triangles.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I recommend the fried macaroni and cheese triangles. i remember this one time at school, I was sitting with my friends for lunch, and I pulled out a can of dog food my maliscious sibbling had hidden in there after stealing my PBJ- and the time she put catchup (katsoup) in my chocolate tapioca pudding ! I am so darn happy to be the heck outta there, boy !

Upvote 0
R

rainbowpromises

Your kidding! There are still schools that allow PB? Allergies are changing lunches everywhere.

I freeze juice boxes to use as cooler packs. Only for foods that need to be cool, but not seriously stay cold. So a cheese sandwich is fine with a cooler pack. If you want meat in a sandwich, just wrap it seperate and put an elastic around it to keep it close to your frozen juice box.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or, those tuna and crackers packs are good. :) The tuna comes in a pop top can that does not need to be refridgerated. It also comes with mayo and relish packets that require no refrigeration. And they are cheap.

Well, I love them anyway. Oh shoot. Now I gotta make some tuna and crackers. :D

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cheap...

Healthy...

Dang, sweetie...there just isn't much to beat PB&J for both of those that doesn't also require refrigeration.

Hang on...think, think...

Can you carry a thermos? You could do like those little packs of soup mix in a thermos. It would be cheaper than buying cans of soup and you would just have to boil a bit of water in the morning. Carry some crackers to go with it.

Instant oatmeal or grits would work in a thermos, too...and they are really cheap.

I love the frozen juice box idea! Very clever, Rainbow! :hug: And with an insulated lunchbox, should stay wonderfully chilly until lunch. :) That opens up a whole realm of bologna sandwiches and cheese sticks.

Upvote 0

AWorknProgress

Feb 18, 2005
U.S.A
✟7,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, but that's blasphemy in my book ;) . In fact, I think it should be a commandment, thou shalt not complain about PB&J sandwiches. I have lived on that my entire life and still eat it. All joking aside, I'm sorry you are getting tired of the pb&j, and sorry I don't have any recommendations. Good luck though:thumbsup: .

Upvote 0

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, but that's blasphemy in my book ;) . In fact, I think it should be a commandment, thou shalt not complain about PB&J sandwiches. I have lived on that my entire life and still eat it. All joking aside, I'm sorry you are getting tired of the pb&j, and sorry I don't have any recommendations. Good luck though:thumbsup: .
Don't get me wrong, I love PB&J, it will always have a special place in my heart. But I think we need some time alone.

Keep the suggestions coming, everyone!

Upvote 0
R

rainbowpromises

I have more ideas.

My granddaughter is allergic to PB, bread and some jams, so we really have to get creative.

We used the thermos for a variety of items.
  • Large thermos for corn on the cob. We had to cook it while she was eating breakfast and pop it into the thermos hot.
  • Medium thermos for vermicelli with frozen beans. Pour boiling water on this while making breakfast, drain of water and pop into thermos just before leaving.
  • She would bring baked beans in a small wide mouth thermos.
  • We would make a form of pizza bread for her. Since she is allergic to cheese and tomato we would bake a mushroom sauce right into the crust.
  • Another of her favorites was taco salad. No cheese or meat but lots of veggies, tacos and a pepper dressing on the side.
She has to bring all her own food to camp so to some of these ideas we will add a can of salmon, tuna, ham, turkey or chicken. I am still feeling a little overwhelmed about summer camp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pasta salad can work well. It had carbs to keep you going, can be made to taste nice and you can sneak some vegies in there too!

Sometimes I make my husband fried rice for him to take to work for lunch. That doesn't need refrigeration...but I think he heats it up when he gets there.

What about...fruit salad ..............................those bread rolls with cheese and ham baked into them (if you freeze them they come out nice and fresh by lunch time).............. lebanese bread with tsatziki or humus...................

The Australian equivalent of peanut butter and jam (lol jelly is something different here) is Vegemite and cheese. Maybe you should give that a go. Every kid had Vegemite and cheese sandwiches at school - otherwise they are unAustralian! And nothing can redeem them! It's salty...yet cheesy. :sorry:

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2004
Brisbane
✟22,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Pasta salad can work well. It had carbs to keep you going, can be made to taste nice and you can sneak some vegies in there too!

Sometimes I make my husband fried rice for him to take to work for lunch. That doesn't need refrigeration...but I think he heats it up when he gets there.

What about...fruit salad ..............................those bread rolls with cheese and ham baked into them (if you freeze them they come out nice and fresh by lunch time).............. lebanese bread with tsatziki or humus...................

The Australian equivalent of peanut butter and jam (lol jelly is something different here) is Vegemite and cheese. Maybe you should give that a go. Every kid had Vegemite and cheese sandwiches at school - otherwise they are unAustralian! And nothing can redeem them! It's salty...yet cheesy. :sorry:
didnt like the chese on it but vegiemit an bbq crisps

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that Rainbowpromises's brilliant idea covers it all. With that, you can have everything from cold roast chicken to ham sandwiches, and everything else in between.

My own favourites are ham (or bologna) on wholewheat bread with a slice of fresh green pepper; and classical cheese and tomato. Being young and free of cholesterol problems, I suggest you use butter (plus mustard or ketchup if you want) rather than sandwich spread or mayo - keeps far better for those six hours or so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For the past three years I have had nothing but peanut butter and jelly for school lunch. I had no money to buy cafeteria food, and I get on the bus at 6, meaning whatever I have needs to be able to go without refrigeration for 5 or 6 hours.
Are there any good foods, or better sandwich idea, for lunch? Preferably something healthy, cheap, quick to prepare, and, because I now have a job and can buy cafeteria food, it needs to taste good so that I don't be tempted to just go for the fried macaroni and cheese triangles.
Trying mixing things up by using different kinds of bread and jelly :)
Have you considered grilled cheese sandwiches?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I go with the hot thermos idea. Hot hot soup that will stay warm in the thermos. ;) [nuke in the morning and pour into thermos]

Tuna packs sounds good. :yum: I love tuna.

Do you have an ice pack? Put it in your bag and eat anything later. It should keep yogurt, lunchmeats and all sorts of foods cool.

Maybe get one of those salad carriers and put it on an ice pack. :yum: I am in such a mood for salad with ranch dressing.

Beef jerky sticks, tater chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, apples, oranges, or bananas...Fresh veggies in a container as a side dish.

Or maybe some plain pizza. :D Just eat at lukewarm or cool temps.

Not sure I helped. But look aorund the store for foods that in open top containers for quick lunches.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did someone say grits ^_^ !

Grits are divine. :swoon: :p I love grits...they may be one of the most versatile, delicious staples on the planet. Grits have even ventured overseas and found their way to the small island of Wales...where they were eaten with marmite and cottage cheese. Unconventional, I grant you...but creative and tasty! Or so I heard. :D

If grits can do all that...they can surely provide a yummy warm lunch for a PB surfeited student. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.