Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, I am a woman who is almost 42years young, I live in Florida with my aging parents. Obesity runs in the family, at least in my Mom's side of the family. My dad is mostly skinny or the right size, my mom and I are overweight, maybe even obese. There were some fat relative on my Dad's side too, distantly related. We come rom the south and southern cooking is very fattening.

My parents and I have made changes for the sake of health. We drink almond milk instead of cow milk. It has a lot less sugar than cow milk, my Dad is sensitive to sugar, he can't eat or drink anything with too much sugar. He is insulin intolerant. The most sugars he can eat is 2gm. Almond milk has a lot better shelf life, it lasts for several months. I think it tastes better than dairy milk. It's also not as fattening, less fat and calories.

We try to eliminate the grease on meat that's cooking. Blot the grease with a paper towel. Do this with pizza too.

Don't use real sugar and real salt! There are so many low calorie healthy sugar substitutes go through them. Truvia and stevia are my favorite. Be careful and read about what kind of chemicals they have, some of them could be toxic and cause cancer. Don't use sugar so much. Instead of have dough nuts for breakfasts, have a bagel or half a bagel, or some dry toast with butter, if you can find sugar-free jelly go for it. cream cheese could also go on toast. Eat fruit, oranges can be messy and sticky but if you able to wipe off the table, wash your hands, dispose of the peelings and trash, then it might be a good idea. Eating healthy cereal, even sweetened cereal with flavor, be carful it does not have too much sugar. Eat shredded wheat or cheerios, or oatmeal.

Problem is, I like sweet stuff, I like cheese and meat. I like Italian food. I like Chinese food. I like American food. I like food too much. It makes me mad when I go to Wal-mart and they do not have what I want. They do not have low-fat or sugar-free versions of their products. I look for low-sugar, low calorie ice cream, and I can't find it.

I like food that tastes good. I can't stand nasty tasting food or drink. I don't like extremly spicy hot food, I don't like extremely land dull tasteless food.
I don't like extremely salty food. I don't extremely sweet sickening food that I worry about a cavity first small bite a take.

THere needs to be a health food revolution in this country. Those pre-packaged snack cakes, dough nuts, cookies, candy bars, and sugary sodas, are well like by adults in a hurry and kids who love anything sweet. They are causing an obesity epidemic in the USA.

I have eaten to much ice cream this summer. Now I am sincerely going on a diet. I did some exercise this morning. I am trying to eat heauthier. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and seeing how fat I am. I am encouraged that I can do this, with the Lord's will.

littleangelone

Mar 9, 2019
Oregon
✟48,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
have you thought about eating vegan? i'm trying to do that because i have high blood pressure, but i still eat some meat just less of it, i also drink zero calorie sodas because i can't have regular soda,

Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Problem is, I like sweet stuff, I like cheese and meat. I like Italian food. I like Chinese food. I like American food. I like food too much. It makes me mad when I go to Wal-mart and they do not have what I want. They do not have low-fat or sugar-free versions of their products. I look for low-sugar, low calorie ice cream, and I can't find it.

I like food that tastes good. I can't stand nasty tasting food or drink. I don't like extremly spicy hot food, I don't like extremely land dull tasteless food.
I don't like extremely salty food. I don't extremely sweet sickening food that I worry about a cavity first small bite a take.

You can retrain your palate. Healthy foods are an acquired taste. I'm the same age as you are. During my teens and most of my twenties I was really fit.

At some point in my late 20s I started eating a lot of bad stuff (lots of sugar and junk food). I went from weighing 80 kilos (176lbs) to 120 kilos (264lbs) in like 3 or 4 years.

I'm tall (6'2") and muscular, so I never really looked or felt fat, but I really was. I think at age 36 or 37 I decided to change my lifestyle.

I started working out again most days and I tried a few diets; but the one that has worked wonders for me is the intermittent fasting diet.

I've lost I think around 40 kilos (88lbs) in the last 5 years with this diet and it hasn't really been hard for me to keep it going.

I eat mostly healthy (veggies, fruits, nuts, meats, etc.), but I also eat a lot of foods that aren't really that healthy, like bread, dairy, junk food, etc.

I have a short eating window most days, so even if I eat "bad foods" I usually end up on a caloric deficit. I've never felt or looked better than I do now at 42. :)

If you're interested in learning more about this, I recommend the channels of Dr. Berg and Dr. Ekberg on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC
https://www.youtube.com/c/drekberg

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now I am sincerely going on a diet. I did some exercise this morning. I am trying to eat heauthier.

May I suggest a few ideas.
Join weight watchers, for there advice on a healthy life sty;e, the discipline of weekly weigh in, details are between you and the weigher.
My wife has rejoined them, last time she got down to her goal weight, having relapsed over several years is again with them and loosing wight.

Don't buy any ready made meals, cook everything from scracth. That way you know what you are eating and can control portions.
Which is a major element in weight loose, eating one smaller portion of food.

Lastly get one of the step measuring apps for your mobile. This will enable you to see just how far you walk and take steps to increase how far you walk.

Upvote 0

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I can't tell you what would work for you, but I can tell you what works for me. I've never had a problem with my weight, thankfully.

Exercise! Build muscle which increases your basal metabolic rate. Do a combination of aerobic and strength exercises. If there are stairs in your building, run up them instead of using the lift.

I don't eat any sugar substitutes - I have read they can affect your metabolism adversely and in fact lead to weight gain. I don't have a sweet tooth so I rarely consume sugary foods. If I eat sweet things, it is with sugar and not artificial sweeteners.

I try to avoid anything from a factory - things like pre-packaged meals, sausages, frozen pizzas, etc

I eat lots of salads, vegetables and fresh fruits.

Protein I take is protein I can "recognize" - fish (whole or filleted), steaks, roast beef/chicken, cuts of chicken. I don't like it when the protein is unrecognizable, e.g. mince meat, sausages, pates, etc.

I eat based on what my energy expectations are. Dinner for example when I do not expect to need the energy, is just a salad with salmon/tuna, and two apples/oranges afterwards. Lunch on a working day would be heavier with carbs like rice or potatoes.

I avoid trans-fats (like margarine) but consume unsaturated (e.g. vegetable oils) and saturated fats (e.g. fat from beef). There are vitamins that are only soluble in fat, so avoiding fat in your diet can have an adverse impact on your health. For example, as an occasional treat, I love eating the bit of fat trimming around a nice steak - especially if it is a bit charred. So juicy and tasty!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I am a woman who is almost 42years young, I live in Florida with my aging parents. Obesity runs in the family, at least in my Mom's side of the family. My dad is mostly skinny or the right size, my mom and I are overweight, maybe even obese. There were some fat relative on my Dad's side too, distantly related. We come rom the south and southern cooking is very fattening.

My parents and I have made changes for the sake of health. We drink almond milk instead of cow milk. It has a lot less sugar than cow milk, my Dad is sensitive to sugar, he can't eat or drink anything with too much sugar. He is insulin intolerant. The most sugars he can eat is 2gm. Almond milk has a lot better shelf life, it lasts for several months. I think it tastes better than dairy milk. It's also not as fattening, less fat and calories.

We try to eliminate the grease on meat that's cooking. Blot the grease with a paper towel. Do this with pizza too.

Don't use real sugar and real salt! There are so many low calorie healthy sugar substitutes go through them. Truvia and stevia are my favorite. Be careful and read about what kind of chemicals they have, some of them could be toxic and cause cancer. Don't use sugar so much. Instead of have dough nuts for breakfasts, have a bagel or half a bagel, or some dry toast with butter, if you can find sugar-free jelly go for it. cream cheese could also go on toast. Eat fruit, oranges can be messy and sticky but if you able to wipe off the table, wash your hands, dispose of the peelings and trash, then it might be a good idea. Eating healthy cereal, even sweetened cereal with flavor, be carful it does not have too much sugar. Eat shredded wheat or cheerios, or oatmeal.

THere needs to be a health food revolution in this country. Those pre-packaged snack cakes, dough nuts, cookies, candy bars, and sugary sodas, are well like by adults in a hurry and kids who love anything sweet. They are causing an obesity epidemic in the USA.

I have eaten to much ice cream this summer. Now I am sincerely going on a diet. I did some exercise this morning. I am trying to eat heauthier. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and seeing how fat I am. I am encouraged that I can do this, with the Lord's will.
It's a tough road but it sounds like your starting in the right direction. I was on ww many years ago. It's a really good food plan. No special diet food. Have you checked on GOLO? It appears to be favored. Starting with Jesus in the picture should give you the strength. I think I would still be smoking if it wasn't for the Lord. A friend used to remind me that losing weight is the hardest of habits to give up because we have to eat.
God bless and give you strength to the end:)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you've been exercising to lose weight or wanting to become more physically active, you should actually include sugar in your nutrition. And I mean real sugar, not artificial sweeteners.

You need real sugar (carbs) for energy and it helps to have some extra energy for exercise.

It feels a lot better to exercise with stored up energy, otherwise, if lacking in energy, exercise can feel a lot harder and uncomfortable you eventually lose motivation and that's worse.

A nice way to lose weight through exercise is doing some long but light effort activity like spending at least an hour on an elliptical bike at easy level of effort and standing (not seated). You can do it while watching TV, etc. Easy but long duration (endurance) efforts is best for fat-burning

But to really lose weight while exercising, you should not over-compensate your calorie intake with calories you burn.

And don't exercise while hungry or not eaten yet. It can make things feel a lot harder and you don't want that. If you're suffering excessively, you can lose motivation and possibly quit and that's worse.

Upvote 0

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you've been exercising to lose weight or wanting to become more physically active, you should actually include sugar in your nutrition. And I mean real sugar, not artificial sweeteners.

You need real sugar (carbs) for energy and it helps to have some extra energy for exercise.

Sugar gives you an energy spike because it is the most easily metabolized form of energy. It may be good if you need to perk up right now (e.g. while driving) but if you need constant energy over an hour, going for energy sources that are a bit more difficult to metabolize would give you steady energy levels.

This is known as the glycemic index

Glycemic index - Wikipedia

Of relevance to the OP:
Dietary replacement of saturated fats by carbohydrates with a low glycemic index may be beneficial for weight control, whereas substitution with refined, high glycemic index carbohydrates is not.[17] A Cochrane review found that adoption of low glycemic index (or load) diets by people who are overweight or obese leads to more weight loss (and better fat control) than use of diets involving higher glycemic index/load or other strategies.[18] Benefits were apparent even with low glycemic index/load diets that allow people to eat as much as they like.[18] The authors of the review concluded that "Lowering the glycaemic load of the diet appears to be an effective method of promoting weight loss and improving lipid profiles and can be simply incorporated into a person's lifestyle."[18]

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My encouragement is this:
1. Be committed long term to changing how much you eat. It is not really what you eat, as much as it is how much. Find a method to slowly and progressively cut back on how much you eat.
2. Be committed to slowly increasing your physical activity. Even if you only start with walking 10 minutes the first week. Every week, increase what you do. Keep a log, a notebook, something, and commit yourself.

The hardest part is commitment. If you fail, just keep trying, start over, over and over again. Over the years I have struggles with my weight, but eventually settled in on 25 minutes a day 6 days a week of light exercise. And I stopped eating ice cream and any cheesecake or similar food. And I intermittently fast, just one meal. Fridays I skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3pm. Then I am not starving at supper time.

Just my practice.

When you try to find some secret, like removing polyunsaturated fats, and it gets complicated, you'll get frustrated. Keep it simple. Eat a little less. Exercise a little more.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Sugar gives you an energy spike because it is the most easily metabolized form of energy. It may be good if you need to perk up right now (e.g. while driving) but if you need constant energy over an hour, going for energy sources that are a bit more difficult to metabolize would give you steady energy levels.

This is known as the glycemic index

Glycemic index - Wikipedia

Of relevance to the OP:

The glycemic index is only a rough guide, as how fast a food is metabolized is going to vary from person to person, and other things you are eating (for instance, polyphenol rich foods, like berries, tend to blunt blood sugar rises). I would focus more on eating less calorically dense, nutrient dense foods (like vegetables, fruits, and beans/peas) and less foods like bread, butter/oil, meat, and nuts.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
have you thought about eating vegan? i'm trying to do that because i have high blood pressure, but i still eat some meat just less of it, i also drink zero calorie sodas because i can't have regular soda,

It's best to wean yourself off soda pop. One of the best things I ever did. The phosphoric acid in cola doesn't do your bones or kidneys any favors.

Vegan is good, but it's almost a completely different lifestyle in terms of eating (if you are eating "whole food plant-based"). It's worth it if you can pull it off. It's best to transition slowly if you aren't used to eating vegetables. Potatoes are a good place to start, as most everybody likes them (just don't put sour cream or butter on them, and they are relatively nutrient dense. Carrots are also a good choice. After you do that for a few months, you get used to the taste of real food.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's best to wean yourself off soda pop. One of the best things I ever did. The phosphoric acid in cola doesn't do your bones or kidneys any favors.

Vegan is good, but it's almost a completely different lifestyle in terms of eating (if you are eating "whole food plant-based"). It's worth it if you can pull it off. It's best to transition slowly if you aren't used to eating vegetables. Potatoes are a good place to start, as most everybody likes them (just don't put sour cream or butter on them, and they are relatively nutrient dense. Carrots are also a good choice. After you do that for a few months, you get used to the taste of real food.

I avoid soda pop but occasionally, I would drink root beer. Root beer is the only soda pop that doesn't give me side effects except for being quite sweet so I dilute it a bit with cold water or ice.

Caffeine is bad for me, gives me headaches so I avoid totally. I only use brown/unrefined sugar as sweetener, however, I only use it very sparingly in small amounts.

Unfortunately for me, I can't go full-vegan. There are many plant based foods that don't agree with my body and is toxic to me. I tried to force myself to adapt to veggies because I really do like veggies like tomato, spinach, unfortunately, I get symptoms of poisoning when I do, the worst being painful headaches.

Still the most effective way I found to lose weight is daily hard cardio exercise. At least 30 minutes of hard cardio would be sufficient. Hard means you should be laboring in breath and feeling hot and sweating. Although at first, take it easy to avoid "shocking" your cardiovascular system. Progressively increase the intensity little by little as days go by.

Your body keep on burning calories at elevated rate even after you stop doing hard cardio this is why 30 minutes hard cardio does wonders for weight loss. 30 minutes a day shouldn't really eat up your free time.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Quality over quantity is the starting point. If taste is your primary motivation you’ll have to spend more for better ingredients. Which means organic grass-fed dairy and meat. Good chocolate like Valrhona. Choosing ancient grains over modern wheat like einkorn (Jovial). Getting rid of prepackaged foods, low-fat items and synthetic and refined sugars. Use different sweeteners including organic sugar, raw honey, sucanat or coconut and maple sugar. Expand your herbs, spices and salts. Look for recipes using fruits, nuts, vegetables, and yogurt for less caloric treats like yogurt cake, zucchini bread, etc.

Purchase your bread from the bakery instead of the grocer. Find a good cheese monger in your area and treat yourself. There’s a correlation between quality and satiation. You’ll eat significantly less when you use good ingredients. The body is satisfied sooner.

Start making things yourself. Whip up a batch of cookie dough and freeze it. Bake off a few when you have a hankering. Make a small batch of jam and taste the difference. You’ll never get the same in a jar. There’s no comparison.

When you have a taste centered palate you have to cook. Preprepared foods rely on refined sugars, sodium and mystery ingredients to enhance flavors and you’re never satisfied. Restaurants rely on fat to do the same. Homemade is best

I created a French inspired whole foods diet based on seasonality. It isn’t a diet in the traditional sense and I don’t use sugar substitutes or worry about carbs and fat. I focus on foods that haven’t been modified and portion control is a natural occurrence.

Because I don’t eat snacks. No potato chips and nothing down that aisle. No soda, energy bars or fast food. Three meals is my benchmark. If I feel hungry in between I’ll have some cheese or nuts. My pantry is extensive and there’s lots of variety to keep things interesting.

I don’t go to the gym or have a fitness routine. I walk everywhere and move everyday and we’re losing weight and burning fat. We’re not eating the things that pack on pounds or nibbling throughout the day. We don’t go to Starbucks or drink large beverages of that sort. Water is our mainstay and we’ll have a cup of coffee or tea (8 ounces or less).

We don’t supersize our food and drinks or go to buffets. Or make large spreads for dinner and holidays just because. It has to be practical and balanced. The more you set aside ‘the American way’ of eating the healthier you’ll become.

You have to be honest about the things that tempt you and find alternatives. Don’t bring it in the house. Whatever you struggle with shouldn’t come home. It takes time to build resistance and portion control. We used to love ice cream and barely eat it now. I make it on occasion but I can’t buy it from the store. It’s too sweet. That’s a frequent problem once you’ve weaned yourself. You realize how bad it is.

Try adding fermented foods to your diet. They improve gut health and they’re tasty too. Kombucha is a good substitute for soda. For nutritional advice I recommend Sally Fallon. To build a whole foods pantry check out Mary’s Nest. For healthy recipes reference Downshiftology.

Good luck!

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I created a French inspired whole foods diet based on seasonality. It isn’t a diet in the traditional sense and I don’t use sugar substitutes or worry about carbs and fat. I focus on foods that haven’t been modified and portion control is a natural occurrence.

Because I don’t eat snacks. No potato chips and nothing down that aisle. No soda, energy bars or fast food. Three meals is my benchmark. If I feel hungry in between I’ll have some cheese or nuts. My pantry is extensive and there’s lots of variety to keep things interesting.

I divided my meals into six meals a day, half portions each. Seems to work to avoid hunger cravings. Almost eliminates the need to snack. If I snack, they'd be milk and toasted oats - tastes almost like coffee.

I don't worry about carbs too. Avoiding carbs to lose weight isn't fun! Daily exercise is enough.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Try intermittent fasting. Have an eating window of 6 hours during a day when you actually do not have to be that selective unless you go totally overboard. Fast the other 18 hours. Get some electrolytes like teaspoon of salt in water during the fast period.

Once a month get get a weekend fast and couple of times a year try to get it up to 4 or 5 days.

Diets are usually doomed to fail since your will power runs out eventually. As mentioned this is more of a lifestyle issue.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Try intermittent fasting. Have an eating window of 6 hours during a day when you actually do not have to be that selective unless you go totally overboard. Fast the other 18 hours. Get some electrolytes like teaspoon of salt in water during the fast period.

Once a month get get a weekend fast and couple of times a year try to get it up to 4 or 5 days.

Diets are usually doomed to fail since your will power runs out eventually. As mentioned this is more of a lifestyle issue.

Intermittent fasting is just as hard as dieting in my experience. Intermittent fasting is great. But you don't really need electrolytes during the 18 hour fast unless you're on low sodium diet or engaging in physical activities where you sweat a lot

Best time to start the intermittent fast is the last meal you took at night, then taking your next meal 14 to 18 hrs later the next day, probably skipping breakfast.

If you have to skip breakfast to achieve it, brush your teeth first thing after waking up in the morning and then drink a few sips of water. I helps kill the appetite and temptation to eat.

There's no guarantee intermittent fasting will help lose weight. I've seen people who does it and remain overweight. Because they still managed to over-eat during the short eating window.

It's probably more effective to watch what you're eating. Avoid high Glycemic Index foods, and also junk and fast foods. Switch to low glycemic index foods instead, like pasta and oatmeal.

Make your foods less palatable or less delicious. It's no-brainer, great-tasting foods makes you want to eat more!:doh:^_^ While less palatable foods seem more filling....You feel feel full sooner and stop eating even if you ate less.^_^ This isn't a joke. If you're a terrible cook, perfect! Make your own foods!

Upvote 0