Attending an ordination, what should I wear?

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As the title shows -- I'm planning to attend an ordination this coming Sunday, so what should I wear? Coat and tie, I presume.

I have a nice purple shirt and tie that i like to wear indicating sentience. Would that be too far "out in left field"?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As the title shows -- I'm planning to attend an ordination this coming Sunday, so what should I wear? Coat and tie, I presume.

I have a nice purple shirt and tie that i like to wear indicating sentience. Would that be too far "out in left field"?
Dress neatly, as you usually would on Sunday morning.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this is true LCM/WELS/ELS etc.., but in the ELCA it's fairly common for people to wear red to symbolize the Holy Spirit.

A good rule of thumb is that aside from the word "Lutheran" on the sign outside the door, nothing about the LCMS/WELS/ELS is common with the ELCA...and that is a good thing.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A good rule of thumb is that aside from the word "Lutheran" on the sign outside the door, nothing about the LCMS/WELS/ELS is common with the ELCA...and that is a good thing.

That's not entirely accurate. The ELCA and LCMS both use the Common Lectionary for readings, and IIRC the colors for the liturgical seasons are similar, or at least close. Other than that they are quite different in many/most aspects.

OP, this might help you decide:
The Colors of the Liturgical Seasons - LCMS Worship - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
It explains the different colors and why they are used. Purple does not really seem appropriate based on this statement from the LCMS article:"Purple, like black, is a penitential color, in contrast to a festive one. "

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turkeys CAN fly. Very fast, and they'll scare the daylights out of you if they take off and you don't know they're there! LOL!

OK, I think I know what to wear now. Thanks for all the info.

Upvote 0