Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A thread over on OBOB gave me the incentive to revisit this site I discovered a while back, and I thought that the folks over here would enjoy it as well.

I've seen a number of sundogs and 22degree circulars this winter, and maybe three pillars. Once I saw a Kern arc, didn't believe what I was seeing and had no understanding of it until years later when I found this site. I snapped a photo but it was a lousy camera and the arc didn't show, otherwise I'd have been the first person ever to photograph one.... they're extremely rare.

Anyway, enjoy the site:
Atmospheric Optics

Sep 10, 2010
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A thread over on OBOB gave me the incentive to revisit this site I discovered a while back, and I thought that the folks over here would enjoy it as well.

I've seen a number of sundogs and 22degree circulars this winter, and maybe three pillars. Once I saw a Kern arc, didn't believe what I was seeing and had no understanding of it until years later when I found this site. I snapped a photo but it was a lousy camera and the arc didn't show, otherwise I'd have been the first person ever to photograph one.... they're extremely rare.

Anyway, enjoy the site:
Atmospheric Optics

Those are cool. Did not know they were called sunset pillars but I have seen one. Been to a few other countries and enjoyed their sunsets but the best one I seen was right here at home. At the end of the day from being out mushroom picking I drove down the highway directly into the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen. It had the pillar and was similar to the one on the right here. It was even more full in color and a darker purple. I thought I was looking at something out of a fairy tale. It did not look real. Never seen one so purplish. Did not have my camera though but there were many in the area talking about it the next day. I still have the picture in my head. Awesome.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Those are cool. Did not know they were called sunset pillars but I have seen one. Been to a few other countries and enjoyed there sunsets but the best one I seen was right here at home. At the end of the day from being out mushroom picking I drove down the highway directly into the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen. It had the pillar and was similar to the one on the right here. It was even more full in color and a darker purple. I thought I was looking at something out of a fairy tale. It did not look real. Never seen one so purplish. Did not have my camera though but there were many in the area talking about it the next day. I still have the picture in my head. Awesome.:)

...and, um, you saw this after a day of mushroom picking, you say?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Anyway, enjoy the site:
Atmospheric Optics

Nice site. This page claims someone photographed a Kern arc in 2007.

What's a 22 degree circular? That's a halo around the sun? I've seen that once. I saw a complete circle rainbow once while flying in an airplane. Fun stuff.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2010
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...and, um, you saw this after a day of mushroom picking, you say?
LoL, Wont say I never tried them back in my pre-Christ days but these were non hallucinogenic. Freshly picked golden chanterelles sauteed in garlic butter after a good long hike and a beautiful sunset. Marvelous.:)

Upvote 0