Behind a screen.
✟7,978.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sleeping is existence. Thoughts (even after death) is existence. Once you exist, you must continue to exist.

After you die, how could you just not exist? Is it possible to just escape consciousness and life (therefore not exist)?

---EDIT---

I saw this on another forum, and this person explains it better than I:

I've been thinking that the reason why I'm conscious now (in my lifetime) is because I'm not conscious at any other time.
Assuming there's no objective present, am I stuck in this reality "forever"? Is it possible to escape your own consciousness?

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is it possible to just escape consciousness and life (therefore not exist)?

Yes.

Your existence as a living, conscious organism isn't a given. Life and mind are kinds of activities, and when those activities stop -- when your body ceases to function in a way appropriate to life and awareness -- "you" no longer exist.

That isn't fun news, but it's what I and many other people conclude from what know about biological organisms.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
After you die, how could you just not exist?

If you put a Menthos mint in a glass of Diet Coke, it causes a reaction that makes everything fizz up in a very dramatic fashion. It's all very exciting, but it doesn't go on forever. Eventually, it stops; the Diet Coke atoms and the Menthos atoms are still there, but the reaction no longer exists.

That's what we are - the reaction. All our atoms and the bits that make us up existed before we were alive, and will exist after we die, but you, the person who thinks of themselves as an individual or a soul, you are what happens when all those atoms get together and react with each other. So once you die, all your atoms are still there, but the reaction is not. You no longer exist.

It perhaps makes more sense if you consider what would happen if you took pictures every second during the Menthos and Diet Coke reaction. You think of it as all being the same reaction, and it is, but no two pictures are going to look the same. In every single one, the all the atoms that make up the reaction are in different places, and new atoms are constantly being drawn in and expelled as the Coke slowly eats its way through the mint. The specific reaction in the first picture no longer exists when you're taking the second one - there are different atoms involved, they're happening at a different rate, and it even looks different. The same applies to you - the person you are right now is different, and I mean different on a very fundamental level, from the person you were 5 years ago. Take any cell from your body and chances are it is a lot younger than you consider yourself to be. The person you were 10 years ago doesn't exist any more, the person you were 5 years ago doesn't exist any more, and soon enough you won't exist. In your place will be the future stage in the reaction that you will consider to be the same person.

You're a constantly changing state of matter and energy, and every second, the past you is replaced with a slightly different new you - and I mean literally replaced, as the cells in your body are broken down and new ones rebuilt. The difference (and the confusion) comes with the fact that we keep a mental record of what we were, but that can stop existing too - we call it forgetting. It's not particularly weird to consider the idea of the Menthos and Coke reaction no longer existing, and so why should it be weird that the bag of chemical reactions (admittedly a far more amazing and wonderous chemical reactions than Menthos and Coke) that we are stops existing as well? We accept it when it happens everywhere else, so it seems stranger to imagine that it doesn't happen to us.

It's also a lot more boring to think of yourself as an unchanging constant, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sleeping is existence. Thoughts (even after death) is existence. Once you exist, you must continue to exist.

After you die, how could you just not exist? Is it possible to just escape consciousness and life (therefore not exist)?

---EDIT---

I saw this on another forum, and this person explains it better than I:

Conciousness is a function of the brain. If your brain has died and is rotting in the ground, you are no longer concious.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I like the way SithDoughnut explained it.

I guess it just depends on how you define "you". Remember that matter cannot be created, nor destroyed. Your physical body is matter, and it only ceases to exist in the form of a human body, it doesn't cease to exist entirely. The atoms and molecules that compose your body will be recycled back into the environment, perhaps becoming a part of another life form.

Your mental self, your memories and emotions, what we call consciousness, will fail to exist after we die. The plug will be pulled and the chemical and electrical reactions responsible for consciousness will cease.

Upvote 0