Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Atheist come in many varieties just as Christians do. What so many theists do in their attempt to debate with atheist is to convince them of the accuracy of the bible, and that is generally a waste of time. Many atheists are well versed in the bible, they may have been raised in the Christian home and taught Christian principles and then walked away. The issue isn’t why they are atheists but understanding that since they believe there is no god, they generally believe that there is no existence outside of the physical existence that we the living are part of.

It is like attempting to tell someone what clean air looks like, you can not debate spiritual issues with physical examples it normally doesn’t work unless they are on their death bed, then at times they become receptive to the idea of a spiritual existence outside of the physical body.

Those of us that have been around a lot of death can tell when the spirit leaves the body, and many times it does before the physical body is clinically dead. What do I mean by clinically dead, a flat line EEG, meaning the brain is dead. Personally, I believe once the frontal lobe has ceased to function that is normally physical death. The first thing you will hear from the skeptical side of this is the dying brain theory and that has been debunked in my opinion.

Almost every Christian I know has had a come to Jesus experience in their lives, it may not have been traumatic or earth shaking, but the Holy Spirit gave them the spiritual insight and the faith to believe in God. Many have had that experience and still walked away for whatever reason.

Some of the most profound experiences is commonly referred to as near death experiences. Some truly are near death, but many were clinically dead long enough to dispel the dying brain theory. Along with many of these testimonies are subjective, meaning the individuals testimony can’t be substantiated, they may be true, but the lack of scientific or medical evidence to support their stories leave them questionable.

At one time I would waste considerable time attempting to debate atheists and finally realized it was a waste of time. If a person is closed minded to any subject, then there is no room for debate or evaluation of evidence or beliefs.

If a person is an agnostic and willing to make an honest evaluation of Christianity, then you have someone you can have a meaningful dialog with. Again, they must first understand that the spirit and the physical body are separate, the spirit is who you really are, and your body is just the shell that the spirit functions through while the body is alive.

I had one very meaningful relationship with an atheist and as stated above, all my arguments were a waste of time. I left him with this, “If you ever want to know if there is a God, ask Him to reveal himself to you, give a come to Jesus moment. Two years later he looked me up, his comment was interesting, “You made me so angry, I didn’t want to even consider a god, but I had a come to Jesus moment, and I now know the truth.”

The other side is I gave a friend the book “Evidence that demands a verdict”, and “A case for Christ”. He read both and a few weeks later we had lunch, I asked him about both books. His comment was “Very compelling evidence that I find very difficult to dispute, however I still don’t believe.” He is a law professor, and we remained friends until his death a few years ago. That convinced me that with some people no matter the evidence, they will refuse to believe. I think with some people it is a sin they hold onto and will refuse to let go of that blinds them to the reality of God, but that is just my opinion.

It is interesting that many atheists that had death experiences and returned are no longer atheists and were given another chance in life. Obviously, God seen some redeeming qualities in the person, and that is understandable because I know many non-believers that are wonderful people.

Remember Jesus instructions to the disciples, they were told to go into a town, share the gospel, if it was rejected wipe the dust off their feet and move on. My point to all of is why waste a great deal of time with someone that is just looking for an argument, with little or no desire to know the truth?

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Ultimately the main problem from the beginning is the evidence offered by Christians requires faith in the Bible anyway to accept it as true and valid. So it's a bit redundant because you either accept it as valid, in which case you're likely already Christian, or you dismiss it, as many Christians would dismiss the authority of the Quran, Buddhist canons, Hindu texts, Daoist texts etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheists debates - is it worth it?

My answer: online, no.

I think the most effective approach comes through relationship as your example highlights. btw, thanks for sharing that, it's a great testimony!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People change.

They want “knowledge” of God’s existence when we want them to have faith in God’s existence.

These are some question I discuss with them:

If you have “proof” of God’s existence, would that not be “knowledge” of God’s existence and not “faith” in His existence?

Do you think it would be more distasteful for the Christian God if: you knew He exists, but did not obey Him, then it would be for you to not obey Him and feel He does not exist?

Why has knowledge of God’s existence in the past, not brought forth obedience?

Believing in the existence of a benevolent Creator is something the lowliest mature person on earth can do and is very easy since a tree can be taken as evidence if you want it to be, so extending “faith” is a humbling experience and humility is something that is needed to help us fulfill our earthly objective.

Why do you really even want to know the Christian God exist? Do you want to be a disciple? Would that knowledge upset you?

God would not want to upset you in this life if you are not ever going to believe, since this life is all you have.

It seems the atheist’s view of the Christian God has Him being very immoral, inconsistent, angry, cruel and arbitrary, so I see why it would be hard for you to believe in such a being. Why do you want to believe?

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Atheist come in many varieties just as Christians do.

Christians are Atheists too, when it comes to non-Christian Gods.

Btw, there is an Atheist "evangelist" of sorts. He is not debating, but, in my view, has success in his approach.

Anthony Magnabosco, Street Episthemology

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Btw, there is an Atheist "evangelist" of sorts. He is not debating, but, in my view, has success in his approach.

Believing in one God is enough to not be an atheist.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But what if you believe the wrong one? Aren't you an Atheist then, because you are not believing in a real God?

Jesus is the only God i know that have interacted with me. I went from barely believing in God to believing totally when i learned that God was personal and interacts with people and gets close to people because he manifested to me.
It was very 'eye opening'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As my avatar notes, I’m a naturalist. I don’t believe in anything that’s claimed to be supernatural. So by logical extension, that makes me an atheist as regards any and all gods which are said to exist outside of the natural realm. And honestly, I’ve been this way for as long as I can remember. Even as a 10 year old, I had the strong feeling that the Bible stories were mostly fairy tales. It’s just how my brain is wired. (I believe there is some evidence that nonreligious people process information differently.)

So as I see it, if there is a God, who created the universe and everything in it, he made me the way I am. And if God is sovereign, then everything that happens must be part of his grand universal plan. Which means my lack of belief must also be part of God’s plan. So logically, if God wants me to believe, he will arrange events so that it happens. Thus, if I never come to belief, then either there is no sovereign God, or my belief was never meant to be.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ultimately the main problem from the beginning is the evidence offered by Christians requires faith in the Bible anyway to accept it as true and valid. So it's a bit redundant because you either accept it as valid, in which case you're likely already Christian, or you dismiss it, as many Christians would dismiss the authority of the Quran, Buddhist canons, Hindu texts, Daoist texts etc.

That's because most Christian consider the bible as God word given to us. When looking at comparative religions one needs to consider what they have to offer or what they teach in light of what the bible teaches. The Muslim faith teaches that Jesus Christ was a great prophet. However, if he was only a great prophet then he was a liar because he said he was the son of God, and no great prophet would be a liar. As I stated in my post, you first need to decide if you believe there is a God otherwise the bible or any other religion will have no meaning to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As my avatar notes, I’m a naturalist. I don’t believe in anything that’s claimed to be supernatural. So by logical extension, that makes me an atheist as regards any and all gods which are said to exist outside of the natural realm. And honestly, I’ve been this way for as long as I can remember. Even as a 10 year old, I had the strong feeling that the Bible stories were mostly fairy tales. It’s just how my brain is wired. (I believe there is some evidence that nonreligious people process information differently.)

So as I see it, if there is a God, who created the universe and everything in it, he made me the way I am. And if God is sovereign, then everything that happens must be part of his grand universal plan. Which means my lack of belief must also be part of God’s plan. So logically, if God wants me to believe, he will arrange events so that it happens. Thus, if I never come to belief, then either there is no sovereign God, or my belief was never meant to be.

No God did not make you the way you are, you have developed your own philosophies and beliefs, most likely without considerable research into other points of view. Your comment "if there is a God...." would seem to me that you are leaving that opinion up for consideration, and that is wise.
What baffles me at times is why would someone that has no belief in God get on a Christian forum to debate the subject unless somewhere in their mind they are attempting to reconcile or justify their beliefs, or possible consider we are right all along.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sometimes i try to tell them what God did to me but they dismiss it as false experiences, i don't know if its worth it really to talk to them, only maybe if the Holy spirit gives you a word or something.

Personal testimonies are wonderful, and I love to hear them. However to an atheist they normally mean very little. Sometimes when a person has lived a life of sin and rebellion and then come to Christ, others that have known them can see the transformation of the individuals life and have come to Christ because of it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Philosophy 101 if you will, Plato, Locke, Kant, and Russell all looked at epistemology from different perspectives. Applying it to Christianity is interesting but I question how effective. Stanford now has a group looking into feminist epistemology study going on, go figure.
The greek word for epistemology is episteme & logos, meaning knowing or understanding and logos means argument. The Gnostic Christians believed superior knowledge of God was how we draw closer to God. The Gnostic's were destroyed by the nights of Templar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Where did you get your magical mind reading powers from?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That's because most Christian consider the bible as God word given to us. When looking at comparative religions one needs to consider what they have to offer or what they teach in light of what the bible teaches. The Muslim faith teaches that Jesus Christ was a great prophet. However, if he was only a great prophet then he was a liar because he said he was the son of God, and no great prophet would be a liar. As I stated in my post, you first need to decide if you believe there is a God otherwise the bible or any other religion will have no meaning to you.

Yes but you see the inherent problem there, right?

Why do you consider it to be the true religion? Have you committed one tenth of the time you have to Christianity to other faiths, like Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism etc?

Most Christians are raised Christian. They know no different. Geography is the greatest determining factor in faith. If you were born in Saudi Arabia you'd likely be just as devout, but Muslim.

When people are raised in a belief system from a point where they're biologically wired to look to peers for understanding, right and wrong, 'normal' behaviour etc, it's no surprise people are immovable in their faith later in life. It's all they've known. It's as much a part of them as their native language, which they also have no conscious memory of when it began, when they started to understand it, when they started to speak it. It just is.

So yes, while Christians may view it that way, it's obviously ridiculous to expect anyone but other Christians to accept the authority of a holy text that they don't already prescribe authority by extension of belief in the first place.

• Winner
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No God did not make you the way you are, you have developed your own philosophies and beliefs, most likely without considerable research into other points of view. Your comment "if there is a God...." would seem to me that you are leaving that opinion up for consideration, and that is wise.
What baffles me at times is why would someone that has no belief in God get on a Christian forum to debate the subject unless somewhere in their mind they are attempting to reconcile or justify their beliefs, or possible consider we are right all along.

But I'll say the same thing about Allah. If Allah exists, and wants me as a believer, then he will arrange it that I become a Muslim. As you must know, there is a version of Christianity which believes that God has already chosen who will believe and be saved, and who will not. And that's the logical conclusion if God is sovereign. If I ever believe in a supreme being, it will take an act of that supreme being. But until then, it would be dishonest to say I believe in any god when I really have overwhelming doubts. As Shakespeare wrote: "This above all. To thine own self be true." :oldthumbsup:

And BTW, have you ever thought about how you became a Christian? How can you possibly know if it was really your free will choice, or if it was God directing you subconsciously?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I'll say the same thing about Allah. If Allah exists, and wants me as a believer, then he will arrange it that I become a Muslim. As you must know, there is a version of Christianity which believes that God has already chosen who will believe and be saved, and who will not. And that's the logical conclusion if God is sovereign. If I ever believe in a supreme being, it will take an act of that supreme being. But until then, it would be dishonest to say I believe in any god when I really have overwhelming doubts. As Shakespeare wrote: "This above all. To thine own self be true." :oldthumbsup:

And BTW, have you ever thought about how you became a Christian? How can you possibly know if it was really your free will choice, or if it was God directing you subconsciously?
Congratulations, that's not how Christianity works at all. If you want to require God to conform to your rules, have at it. That's your choice. But don't make up your own rules for a God you don't believe in then project those rules onto those who do believe. There's nothing logical nor natural about that.

• Agree
Reactions: MrsFoundit
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes but you see the inherent problem there, right?

Why do you consider it to be the true religion? Have you committed one tenth of the time you have to Christianity to other faiths, like Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism etc?

Most Christians are raised Christian. They know no different. Geography is the greatest determining factor in faith. If you were born in Saudi Arabia you'd likely be just as devout, but Muslim.

This is a very good point, and true.

When people are raised in a belief system from a point where they're biologically wired to look to peers for understanding, right and wrong, 'normal' behaviour etc, it's no surprise people are immovable in their faith later in life. It's all they've known. It's as much a part of them as their native language, which they also have no conscious memory of when it began, when they started to understand it, when they started to speak it. It just is.

So yes, while Christians may view it that way, it's obviously ridiculous to expect anyone but other Christians to accept the authority of a holy text that they don't already prescribe authority by extension of belief in the first place.

The idea that we have been pre-programmed to believe is a valid argument for many, because it is true. However many of us like myself rejected all forms or religious beliefs for many years. I was over thirty years old before I had my come to Jesus experience and I still resisted it for some time. For a short period of my life I believed the Buddhism held many of the answers I had been seeking, but they too fell short.
It is true that some believers can't give you an answer for why they believe what they profess to believe, that doesn't change the truth.

Upvote 0