• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Atheistic Scientists Pushing Their Religion

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by justlookinla, May 2, 2014.

1. BL2KTN

BL2KTN Scholar, Author, Educator

+68
    Deist
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    Same author. Please cite the article within a peer-reviewed journal.

Unnecessary and snide - personal jabs without references are pointless.

We obviously can't teleport humans. We can barely teleport atoms. Good grief...

I started to ask if you then accept the acceleration of celestial bodies moving away from each other. Then I realized I don't care because as soon as you realize the implications, you'll jump ship without factual basis.

You cannot lab test consciousness. You can lab test awareness, alertness, etc.

It occurs everywhere in the universe, including the Earth.

2. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+983
    Christian
    That depends on how you see it. If the lab and every part of the lab is part of God, it's really more of trying to isolate one unique and specific signal from everything else in the room. :) I'd say your assessment is accurate however in terms of what's been done and found thus far, but at least you have a way to do the real experiments to change that over time. It will of course take effort and funding.

I dunno. Apparently you stopped reading, and/or you didn't realize they were criticizing *non panentheists* with that particular commentary.

The primary difference between pantheism and panentheism is the notion in panentheism of God being *involved* in his creation.

3. Michael

+983
    Christian
    You apparently missed the whole point of that particular criticism aimed at *non* panentheistic leaning "Christians". The very next line is this:

I completely agree with that assessment.

Not for that strawman of a claim I'm not. :)

4. TheReasoner

TheReasoner Former christian, current teapot agnostic.

+641
    Atheist
    Married
    Deccided to pop by after a fairly long hiatus. Then I spotted this thread...

[​IMG]

5. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+2,712
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Actually, your claims are meaningless until you can provide some corroborating evidence.

6. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    Still, as you say, a dud in the lab.

Just a notion. You have no empirical evidence to show that this "God" is *involved* with "his" creation?

7. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    What do you mean by "strawman"? Is that a bad thing? Is it dishonest? Should one avoid the use of strawmen?

8. Michael

+983
    Christian
    Hmmm. I suppose that actually depends on how you interpret the Orch-OR data.

Sure I do. I have the testimony of humans since the beginning of recorded human civilization. I also have tangible evidence to support various aspect of EU/PC theory too.

9. Michael

+983
    Christian
    I meant that I *was not* actually trying to claim that we live in an inert and and dumb universe as *you* were implying.

10. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    ^_^
    Again, you have no empirical evidence to show that this "God" is *involved* with "his" creation?

11. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    Are you now endorsing the use of strawmen?

12. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+2,547
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Something not having consciousness isn't the equivalent of it being "dumb".

13. JGL53

JGL53 Senior Veteran

+279
    Pantheist
    In Relationship
    The OP was meant as a joke, right?

Because otherwise, .........

14. Michael

+983
    Christian
    I believe that particular phrase started as a quote from the website which Dav cited, it wasn't actually my personal "lingo".

http://www.christianforums.com/t7819965-14/#post65553757

15. Michael

+983
    Christian
    ???? No.

16. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
  17. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    Will you refrain from using strawman arguments in your posts?

18. Michael

+983
    Christian
    Are you?

Are we having fun yet?

19. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,158
    Ignostic
    Married
    I guess that was too much to ask for. :wave:

20. Michael

+983
    Christian
    What exactly did you expect? It's not like I'm going out of my way to use them, but I don't know of anyone who's not guilty of lighting a really good bonfire every now and again. :)