Jul 20, 2007
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
I believe people see what they want to see.

[pot stir]

Exhibit A: ooh, look, if you join those stars up in this way (not any of the other myriad ways you might) it looks like a lion! Ain't that significant?!

Exhibit B: ooh, look, it says here that today I should be wary of people who wear red. I work at KFC, and the uniform is only partly red, so I should go to work anyway. Lucky I don't work at Red Rooster.

Exhibit C: yup, those Magi read the stars and determined that they should travel to greet a new king, which enabled a prophecy to be fulfilled, so that's okay. But that zodiac stuff? Dangerous nonsense.

[/pot stir]

- Guran

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some bible scholars such as E.W. Bullenger think the zodiac was originally the bible story written in the stars. The full zodiac consists of far more star signs than the 12 commonly known of today.

Interesting.

Wrong but interesting.

Upvote 0

oneofthem

Oct 16, 2006
Australia
✟8,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Magi did follow a star that led them to the King. God also used a medium to pronounce judgement on Saul. God is God, God can use anything and anyone He wants. Spies hid in a prostitutes house, does that mean that prostitution is okay? Two daughters also got their father drunk and you-know-what (if you read the story). Just because God works in whatever way He wants to (because He can because He's God), does that somehow make these things not sin?

In this case, does that mean that it's okay for us to see mediums? Does that mean God condones this, even though it is explicitly warned against throughout the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Astrology is divination, is that not ringing any bells?
The bible outlaws divination.
Funny how people call it "Bunk". We as Christians know that the "Wise" men in the Christmas story from the East where able to foretell the birth of a great king, it was written in the stars.
We also know that a beauuuutifull star led them to the Christ and they had gifts, how nice. Ahm, didnt that star also lead them initially to Herod, and didnt Herod want the new born king DEAD. If the "Wise" men hadnt been told not to go back to Herod by an Angel they would have told him where Christ was and that would have been an end to the Nativity thingo. As it was Herod got a tad annoyed he never heard from the Maggi so went on a killing spree of all male children under 2yo.
I have an Idea, lets all put that star on our Christmas tree to remind us of Satans first attempt on Christs life.
Astrologie is allowing others to dictate what is rightfully Gods. An obedient Christians life.
Does that sound like a star sent by God?

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would avoid using astrology for predictions or for anything period. Any form of fortune telling, for that matter. If they are not messages from God then that only leaves one source. God even tells us not to worry about tommorow yet be ready everyday for his return. Yet I don't beleive the stars God created are evil. Actually there are star symbols that represent Good & evil depending on if they are 5 or 6 legs or if they are inverted = evil.

Upvote 0

Godschick

Aug 15, 2007
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a "Christian" who thinks it is the work of the devil

Me too.

I once asked a similiar question to 'if it seems so good and it's only doing good, then why isn't it good?'

My answer is:

Satan might be evil, but he is clever! he is very deceptive. He makes things like this seem very nice, pretty and fun.
IF it 'looked' evil then how many of us would go near it? most wouldn't right? right!
SO because it looks ok, then a lot of people think it's ok.

I am telling you right now, anything to do with this is evil and God specifically tells us it is of witchcraft.

I stay RIGHT away from this.

I think we as christians can get so serious and narrow minded that we ended up loosing sight of logic and rational thinking....

See how the devil tricks your mind? he makes others think we're being 'serious and narrow minded'.
We also try to think with our mind, instead of listening with our hearts to the holy spirit who will guide us. The devil tricks everyone - you just have to realise that he's doing this.
The bible said to stay away from this, so just do it.

I am definitely not a strict christian or narrow minded. I go to a pretty radical church. I'm young & have loads of fun.

I believe that God can even use these means for his good...I have been reading a star sign and it has given me direction or answered a prayer I was saying the night before...so I guess God can use it....

See, this is deception again. God doesn't use our 'starsigns' as answers to prayers. If you want answers you need to get them from him direct. I got an answer to a question just today that i've been thinking of over the last few days...and do u know where I got it from? the Bible. Yes this is the only place i'd be reading to answer a question or prayer.
It is SO dangerous to think this is harmless. SO dangerous. I only wish everyone could see that.

Maybe if you think i'm wrong, you should do some 'bible googleing' or just plain bible studying. - Then you'll get all your answers.

To me religion is dead. Religion has no right into my life, and that's why Jesus died on the cross. God bless him :)

There are just some areas that you have to stay far away from and this is one of them.

Upvote 0

johnspeid

Jan 12, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this great resource at hemeticinsight.com:

Dr. Russ holds degrees in Religious Science/Metaphysics and Biblical Studies, as well as a Doctorate of Divinity. In addition to spending several decades independently researching the Gnostic, Hermetic and Qabalistic Traditions, he has studied with The Religious Science Institute; Unity School for Religious Studies; Saint Alban’s Theological Seminary and The Ecclesia Gnostica.

I was impressed with his knowledge on the subject.

Upvote 0
W

WESTERNdeitySIXmoths

I found this great resource at hemeticinsight.com:

Dr. Russ holds degrees in Religious Science/Metaphysics and Biblical Studies, as well as a Doctorate of Divinity. In addition to spending several decades independently researching the Gnostic, Hermetic and Qabalistic Traditions, he has studied with The Religious Science Institute; Unity School for Religious Studies; Saint Alban’s Theological Seminary and The Ecclesia Gnostica.

I was impressed with his knowledge on the subject.
lol nice first post

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's always dangerous to dabble in things like that...People can say "oh, but it's harmless!" Well the fact that someone believes that tells me that it has already done some harm. The greatest lie Satan has ever made people believe is that he doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's always dangerous to dabble in things like that...
Indeed, it's damaging to ones credibility.

People can say "oh, but it's harmless!" Well the fact that someone believes that tells me that it has already done some harm.
Do tell.

What sort of harm and what documentation is there of said harm?

The greatest lie Satan has ever made people believe is that he doesn't exist.

The saying goes, "The greatest trick satan ever pulled was convincing people he didn't exist."

I'd say looking at the underwhelming amount of evidence the same could be said for all gods/angel/demons/fairys.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, it's damaging to ones credibility.

Do tell.

What sort of harm and what documentation is there of said harm?

The saying goes, "The greatest trick satan ever pulled was convincing people he didn't exist."

I'd say looking at the underwhelming amount of evidence the same could be said for all gods/angel/demons/fairys.
Thanks for your input (and dissection of my post) but my reply was from a Christian view, what astrology means to a Christian (IMO, anyway) My post would have been quite different if I had been trying to explain it to an atheist.

Upvote 0