Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
What are your thoughts on it? Do you think that there is an element of truth in it, or just something you pick and choose what you want to believe about it?

Interested to hear your views. The only time I know of in the Bible where it is spoken of is with King Nebuchadnezzar and the Kings of the Orient who went to pay homage to Jesus.

I know a few "Christians" who think it is the work of Satan.

Lee_Lee

Dec 3, 2004
house
✟588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we as christians can get so serious and narrow minded that we ended up loosing sight of logic and rational thinking....
Astrology is clearly not what christians believe and alot of it clashes with christian beliefs...however I mean I read the star signs for a bit of a laugh, I personally don't see much validity in all that sort of stuff but I if people find solice or comfort in it then who am I to object?

I believe that God can even use these means for his good...I have been reading a star sign and it has given me direction or answered a prayer I was saying the night before...so I guess God can use it....

But it is not the most reliable source of info...although neither is the weather man I suppose....

-LeeLee.

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's the work of satan.

There have been storied of missionaries going to remote parts of the world to preach the gospels and they found that God had already spoke to these people and he used the stars.

Also there is a lot of Christian truths mixed in to Astrology and alot of the symbols are very christian.
which is generally the case with alot of non christian religions/philosophies

Having said that though I don't think you should use the stars in the daily telegraph to guide your life.

LOL come to think of it i don't think you should belive anything you read in the telegraph! LOL

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I find astrology patently humorous. I like reading them just to try and figure out what they are predicting (which is generally nothing, instead its 'helpful advice on how to live life') and especially enjoy seeing how the prediction could either A. be applied to any day or B. is so far off its pathetic.

But then maybe the astrologists in my papers are just really bad at their job.

Upvote 0

Jennifer615

Jul 5, 2004
Cairns
✟8,497.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
For me it's a bit of a dilema, because as a Christian I am not supposed to believe in it, but I have personally found that so many people ARE like their star signs. I am not into reading the stars for guidence, but I tend to believe what it says about the different personalities of the different starsigns.

When I was in my teens, before I became a Christian, I studied up alot about the starsigns. Now I can't deny knowledge I have, and my personal evidence that it is true.

Reactions: Lludmila
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lludmila

Passionate Pacifist
Feb 4, 2007
an American in search of her roots
Visit site
✟11,743.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, Jennifer has it right. I do not believe the stars (and other heavenly bodies) can say much about the future but I do take stock in one's star sign. I think the way I use it is more of a personality test than a fortune-teller.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I have a few questions for those who believe in astrology.
Does it meant the future for all eternity is already mapped out?
What happens if you are on another planet?
What happens when the stars change (supernova, dust cloud/whatever obscures a star, what about the new dwarf planets being discovered? Do they get used now?

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

On a completely scientific note I think astrology is bunk. The zodiac is a line, or belt, of constellations in the sky though which the sun travels. Your birth sign is whatever constellation the sun would rise in, if you could see the stars at sunrise. But due to precession, the sun does not always rise in the exact same spot every year. The motion of precession causes the vernal position of the sun to move backward through a zodiac sign at the rate of 1° every 72 years. Since there are 30° in every sign of the Zodiac, it is easy to see a shift of 10° in 720 years. Of course, this shift also affects the position of the sun in any zodiac sign at the same rate.

So there is a good chance that the star sign you were born under is not the one you think it is. Here is a pretty good, and easy to understand article on it that also has the “correct” star signs and dates: http://www.sceptics.org.uk/article.php?dir=articles&article=astrology_and_precession.php

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There have been storied of missionaries going to remote parts of the world to preach the gospels and they found that God had already spoke to these people and he used the stars.
Source?

Great article moonkitty!

And I'd say that astrology is silly bunk, created by primitive peoples to give themselves a sense of control about their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oneofthem

Oct 16, 2006
Australia
✟8,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Bible is quite clear about where a Christian should stand with this stuff. It's not one of those "personal conviction" areas either, it's black and white.

I was involved in this stuff even awhile after i became a Christian. I'm pretty sure it was Paul who said this about idols: That they're made from a bit of wood or stone, there's no power in that. But there are demons behind them. (I wish i could quote it more accurately). It may be when Paul is talking about food sacrificed to idols. My understanding of this is that there is no power in a bit of wood (or a star, or a combination of stars) to give you what you're desiring from it. But the spirit that draws people to these things, to bow down to idols, that invites people to follow them, that is the power at work. The power of deception. (I understand the non-Christians here will not appreciate my "spiro"-ness).

I won't go into everything, but knowing what i know now, i would not allow some crack head horoscope writer to dictate who i am, what my week will be like, the outcomes of my relationships, who i'm compatible with, blah blah blah. Being a Christian, i give that power to God to who i am, and to determine my future, and to show me things if He so chooses.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think what i was trying to say is that the stars do not determine who we are or our future, but the spiritual influence behind this deception is very real.

I've heard that before too, and heck, when I was a christian i believed it.

The only problem I had was the numerology found in revelations.

Looking at the stars is wrong... looking to the numbers is right?

Upvote 0

oneofthem

Oct 16, 2006
Australia
✟8,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To my vague and unreliable recollection, i know the Jews had certain numerical systems that raise questions about the figures presented in Chronicles. Some believe (with good reason) that certain numbers meant things. 3, 7, 12, 40. Some say that people used these numbers in a loose sense...40 = many, like how we say "i was going a hundred miles an hour". Others believe they were symbolic. Others believe they were literal.

Back in the day, I was also heavily involved in numerology. I don't get what the deal is with the Bible and numbers, but new age does the same thing with numbers as it does with stars. New age defines your personality, your destiny, your strengths and weaknesses. Stars, numbers, tarot, whatever spirit decides to operate to the person who opens themselves up to it all.

I don't understand everything in the Bible, but i know it is clear on these things. I stay well away from it all.

Upvote 0