Assurance of Salvation according to John...

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
1 . Repentance is a gift of Grace
Where do you get scripture for all these motherhood statements?
Instruct patiently those who are contrary minded and oppose the good news, perhaps God will grant them repentance, give them a change of heart, so that they can accept the truth as it is in the Lord Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 2:25

Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to grant repentance to Israel and atonement for sin. Acts 5:31

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you get scripture for all these motherhood statements?

I read nothing but scripture for over 5 years - and started reading it about 70 years ago.

From the passage below you will notice that repentance was beyond the reach of Simon the Sorcerer hence he was crying out for prayer.

Acts 8
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money
19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!
21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.
22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart.
23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read nothing but scripture for over 5 years - and started reading it about 70 years ago.

From the passage below you will notice that repentance was beyond the reach of Simon the Sorcerer hence he was crying out for prayer.

Acts 8
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money
19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!
21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.
22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart.
23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

From this passage, you form a doctrine that "Repentance is a gift of Grace" and is thus not a work from man?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Instruct patiently those who are contrary minded and oppose the good news, perhaps God will grant them repentance, give them a change of heart, so that they can accept the truth as it is in the Lord Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 2:25

Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to grant repentance to Israel and atonement for sin. Acts 5:31

So when Israel ask Peter, "What should we do?" in Acts 2:37, Peter should have said "Pray that God will grant you the gift of repentance, so that you can repent and be baptized" in Acts 2:38?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So when Israel ask Peter, "What should we do?" in Acts 2:37, Peter should have said "Pray that God will grant you the gift of repentance, so that you can repent and be baptized" in Acts 2:38?

No at all - it was for those gifted to respond that repented.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, conviction precedes repentance and is a work of the Spirit.

So why not also believe that "conviction precedes water baptism and is a work of Spirit", thus allowing you to say that water baptism is not a work of man as well?

Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If they took the initiative, they wouldn't have to ask.
Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them...and they shall be My people, and I will be their God. Ezekiel 11:19-20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they took the initiative, they wouldn't have to ask.
Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them...and they shall be My people, and I will be their God. Ezekiel 11:19-20

But you would agree that Peter replied with what they should do?

Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But you would agree that Peter replied with what they should do?
Turn to God, believe in the Lord and you shall receive the gift of the Spirit.

Who am I to interfere?

God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ...
Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life. Acts 11:17-18

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Turn to God, believe in the Lord and you shall receive the gift of the Spirit.

Who am I to interfere?

God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ...
Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life. Acts 11:17-18

Would you consider water baptism, a gift from God as well?

Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Would you consider water baptism, a gift from God as well?
Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead? Acts 26:8

For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Gal 3:27

Remember those who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their faith;
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Heb 13:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead? Acts 26:8

For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Gal 3:27

Remember those who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their faith;
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Heb 13:7-8

Is that a yes or no?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is not salvific, repentance is.

That is actually not my point.

But supposed someone uses Mark 16:16 to form a belief that water baptism is salvific.

Can he then used your point that "conviction precedes water baptism and is a work of Spirit", thus allowing him to say that water baptism is not a work of man as well?

Would that be logical to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism is not a promise from God.
John’s baptism—where did it come from? Luke 1:17 Was it from heaven, or of human origin?” Matt 21:25-27

"I baptize you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:8
“John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” Acts 19:4

As they were gathered together with Him, He told them, “Do not leave Jerusalem but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; For John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit...and you will be my witnesses; Acts 1:4-8

God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior to grant Israel repentance and atonement for sins.
We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit,...Acts 5:30-32 The Holy Spirit tells us the same thing: Hebrews 10:13-17

Last edited:
Upvote 0