• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Asperger’s in a gay man

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My cousin Michael had a lot of problems growing up. At 16, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. But now, his mother and a psychiatrist have discussed his case in deep detail and the two of them now believe that Michael was misdiagnosed for years, and what he actually had was Asperger’s syndrome.

Michael was also a gay man. But never have I ever come across a story of any Asperger’s patient who was also gay. Have you?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My cousin Michael had a lot of problems growing up. At 16, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. But now, his mother and a psychiatrist have discussed his case in deep detail and the two of them now believe that Michael was misdiagnosed for years, and what he actually had was Asperger’s syndrome.

Michael was also a gay man. But never have I ever come across a story of any Asperger’s patient who was also gay. Have you?
Have you tried a web search of homosexuality + Asperger's?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Being gay or bi is more common among Aspies. Having no interest in sex, asexuality, is also more common.

I had an elderly friend named Butch that was very smart but also very eccentric. He was also gay. He may have been very high functioning, or he may just have been eccentric, I'm not sure. Otherwise, I just know the statistical odds are higher for Aspies, but I haven't met alot of other Aspies in RL.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

jonrgrover

Mar 19, 2018
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
✟15,972.00
Country
American Samoa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was in high school people thought I was gay. I was definitely not gay, but my inability to see flirting behaviors, inability to see when girls were interested in me, inability to establish rapport with people and high anxiety lead to people thinking that I was gay because I was not relating with girls in the way they expected. Aspies who seem gay may simply be oblivious like me instead.

In addition, aspies may be more likely to be gay because the difference between men and women exacerbates the barrier to interaction. It is already hard enough to relate to those of the same sex. Difference between men and women adds yet another hurdle to overcome. So it is possible that naturally non-gay people simply have to settle for same sex attraction because other sex attraction is simply not something they can put into practice, because the additional hurdle puts it 'beyond the pale'.

Upvote 0