Ash Wednesday/Lent >Pagan origins, against Christ's command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ash Wednesday is only around 1,000 years in practice and it's origins are from that of the Nordic pagan religion.

the Christ tells us to wash our face when fasting not run around with forehead's marked with ashes for the world to see...

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Grace can not be earned...
17 For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh???

Ash Wednesday is the beginning of lent, which is a 40 day period of focusing on penance. The ashes remind us of one simple fact. From dust you came and to dust you shall return. It is a call to remember our mortality, and that our life here is limited, so we need to focus on what is truly important, our destiny. With God or without Him.

Explain to me how this is an evil act?

Reactions: Kristos
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh???

Ash Wednesday is the beginning of lent, which is a 40 day period of focusing on penance. The ashes remind us of one simple fact. From dust you came and to dust you shall return. It is a call to remember our mortality, and that our life here is limited, so we need to focus on what is truly important, our destiny. With God or without Him.

Explain to me how this is an evil act?

Go look up the true original origins of Lent, it will shock you. It didnt come from 40 days of Jesus in the wilderness, that is what he have made it now.
It ties back to weeping for the Sun God for 40 days and coming together to eat a pig afterwards since Tammuz was killed by a pig in the wilderness and this is probably where we get Easter ham from too. As outrageous as that sounds that is the Babylon legend that 40 days of Lent is based off. It shocked the h#!! outta me too when I actually looked it up.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Go look up the true original origins of Lent, it will shock you. It didnt come from 40 days of Jesus in the wilderness, that is what he have made it now.
It ties back to weeping for the Sun God for 40 days and coming together to eat a pig afterwards since Tammuz was killed by a pig in the wilderness and this is probably where we get Easter ham from too. As outrageous as that sounds that is the Babylon legend that 40 days of Lent is based off. It shocked the h#!! outta me too when I actually looked it up.

This is an instance of the genius of the ancient pastors, in that they were able to appropriate a practice and give it meaning within Christianity. This also displays the brilliance of the gospel, that it has universal application and relevance. The addition of ashes, a traditional sign of repentance and mourning, enhances the observance.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
And some wonder why they are called Protestant?:confused:
Just a wee little suggestion: When you don't understand something, try asking instead of going to internet sites that also don't understand anything about it. That is, only if you really don't want to be found speaking falsehoods.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And some wonder why they are called Protestant?:confused:
Just a wee little suggestion: When you don't understand something, try asking instead of going to internet sites that also don't understand anything about it. That is, only if you really don't want to be found speaking falsehoods.

Assuming this was directed at me...I am a student of early christianity and more importantly the bible..I can tell you for fact you'll not find either of these-Ash Wednesday or Lent in scripture or the first couple hundred years of Christianity (in the case of Lent) 1st 1,000 years in the case of Ash Wednesday.

Why run around with a mark indicating your in a season of repentance and fasting? we are to repent daily and our fast per Christ's very words are between the Father and you, not for man to see...So why the ash on the forehead for all to see? He say's WASH your face.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't wear ashes for the world to see. I wear them as a sign to myself. Most often, I get people gesturing that I have a smudge on my forehead. I could care less what others think of me.

So your premise is hogwash. Whatever penance we do, this is the season for it. What does it matter where the idea came from, if what you wrote is even true? Should we stop doing something because pagans do it? How about all the people who practice yoga without realizing it's a pagan religion? Does practicing yoga make you a pagan?

Baptism was also a pagan practice. We evangelize pagans. Burning candles is a pagan practice, too...Bringing a practice into Christianity doesn't make Christianity evil. Christ is too powerful for that. Bringing a practice into Christianity makes the practice Christian.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Assuming this was directed at me...I am a student of early christianity and more importantly the bible..I can tell you for fact you'll not find either of these-Ash Wednesday or Lent in scripture or the first couple hundred years of Christianity (in the case of Lent) 1st 1,000 years in the case of Ash Wednesday.

Why run around with a mark indicating your in a season of repentance and fasting? we are to repent daily and our fast per Christ's very words are between the Father and you, not for man to see...So why the ash on the forehead for all to see? He say's WASH your face.
I wonder why you bother? Why not mind your own business?

9 things you need to know about Lent |Blogs | NCRegister.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It seems to me that you are suggesting that Jesus Christ honored a Babylon practice. Is that what you are claiming?

The worship of Tammuz predated Christianity by quite a bit, and I don't see how anyone can make a claim that Christianity borrowed from a dead idol worship practice.

Anyway, you are incorrect on the origin of Lent.

The word Lent means spring, as Easter occurs in spring due to the calendar. And very early on in the Church the practice of fasting 40 days (40 is a very important number in the Bible as it represents the flood, exodus, and Jesus' and Moses' fasting period). So it makes sense that the period of penance before the highest feast day of Christianity would be 40 days instead of some other number.

I don't know where you get your info from but that is just plain false.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

So when Christ fasted for 40 days before beginning His ministry, He was following a pagan ritual? Moses on Mt Sinai was too?

Fasting for 40 days before Easter was originally part of the preparation that the catechumen underwent prior to their baptism on Easter. Eventually the rest of the Church joined them as it was found to be a good and holy discipline for all.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Ash Wednesday is only around 1,000 years in practice and it's origins are from that of the Nordic pagan religion.

the Christ tells us to wash our face when fasting not run around with forehead's marked with ashes for the world to see...

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

The Lenten season is very ancient, and originated as the final period of preparation for catecumens who were readying themselves for baptism on Easter.

I'm not versed in the origins of the opening service of that period- Ash Wednesday- but considering you haven't presented any evidence, secondary or primary, I don't think you are either.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Washing was originally a pagan practice so we better stay dirty. Pagans also ate food before there was an Israel. We better not do that or drink water either. Pagans were drinking water first too. Can anyone tell me something that pagans were not doing before we were?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does Jesus command us to fast for 40 days?
Sometimes when you love someone, you don't have to wait to get permission from them before you do something for them.

Why don't you all do what he did instead of you're man made version?

I think this is what Lent is. Christ fasted for 40 days; Lent is fasting or abstaining for 40 days. So Christ is the model for us for Lent.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does Jesus command us to fast for 40 days?
Why don't you all do what he did instead of you're man made version?
We follow His example.
So how do you fast? I assume you do since you quote scripture which is directed at how we should fast. Christ obviously expects us to fast.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Joel 2:12-18

Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart,
with fasting, and weeping, and mourning;
Rend your hearts, not your garments,
and return to the LORD, your God.
For gracious and merciful is he,
slow to anger, rich in kindness,
and relenting in punishment.
Perhaps he will again relent
and leave behind him a blessing,
Offerings and libations
for the LORD, your God.

Blow the trumpet in Zion!
proclaim a fast,
call an assembly;
Gather the people,
notify the congregation;
Assemble the elders,
gather the children
and the infants at the breast;
Let the bridegroom quit his room
and the bride her chamber.
Between the porch and the altar
let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep,
And say, “Spare, O LORD, your people,
and make not your heritage a reproach,
with the nations ruling over them!
Why should they say among the peoples,
‘Where is their God?’”

Then the LORD was stirred to concern for his land
and took pity on his people.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When ye fast not if ye fast.

I do but not as a ritual, the things that were foremost on my heart when i observed lent I now try to keep foremost on my heart on a daily basis..
I fast when or if i am going through spiritual or physical hardships...
Less of me and more of Him...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.