LDS As Latter-day Saints use the words saved and salvation, there are at least six different meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How does that in any way teach pre-existence---everything was finished at creation--if anything, it teaches the opposite--everything was created for the planet and the heavens on that creation week. Not one word about pre-existence.
We are the hosts of the earth which were created before the seventh creative period.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The Bible indicates that Satan is a son of God:
(Old Testament | Job 1:6)

6 ¶ Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Satan would not have came it he were not invited.
(Old Testament | Job 2:1)

1 AGAIN there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
Satan presented himself because he is a son. God would not be fooled.

Jesus created Lucifer---they are not brothers! Jesus is the Father to Lucifer--no way to get around it.
Satan came as a representative of this world, for he is the prince of this world. And it does say
"and Satan came also among them." In other words, he is the exception to the rest---he is no longer in that fold. This was the equivalent of a galactic meeting and he came as having power over this world. Again--Jesus created Him.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We are the hosts of the earth which were created before the seventh creative period.

Adam and Eve are the only ones mentioned--the rest is purely out of the imaginations of JS. Not one single, even vague, reference to pre-existence.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus created Lucifer---they are not brothers! Jesus is the Father to Lucifer--no way to get around it.
Satan came as a representative of this world, for he is the prince of this world. And it does say
"and Satan came also among them." In other words, he is the exception to the rest---he is no longer in that fold. This was the equivalent of a galactic meeting and he came as having power over this world. Again--Jesus created Him.
God the Father is the Father of spirits:
(New Testament | Hebrews 12:9)

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
(New Testament | Matthew 23:8 - 9)

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
God the Father is the Father of spirits:
(New Testament | Hebrews 12:9)

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
(New Testament | Matthew 23:8 - 9)

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

How does any of this show preexistence? Does nothing to negate the fact, Jesus is the creator of all things---He created Lucifer. You are trying desperately to prove JS right---and can not. You can quote the entire bible and will never be able to get past the fact----Jesus is the creator--He did not create God as a human, God is His Father---He never saw Him give His life for another planet. Jesus never created His Fathers Father, or His Father or any other.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How does any of this show preexistence? Does nothing to negate the fact, Jesus is the creator of all things---He created Lucifer. You are trying desperately to prove JS right---and can not. You can quote the entire bible and will never be able to get past the fact----Jesus is the creator--He did not create God as a human, God is His Father---He never saw Him give His life for another planet. Jesus never created His Fathers Father, or His Father or any other.
Jesus is NOT the Father of spirits. As the scripture states, He is our brother. We are the spirit children of God the Father. Another scripture states:
(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 8:6)

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You, yourself quoted i:

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Adam and Eve are the only ones mentioned--the rest is purely out of the imaginations of JS. Not one single, even vague, reference to pre-existence.
(New Testament | Ephesians 1:3 - 5)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
(Old Testament | Jeremiah 1:5)

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
(Old Testament | Job 38:4 - 7)

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:7)

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Again, get your head out of the Tanners' nonsense and start exploring things for yourself.

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, was "subjected to approximately thirty criminal actions" during his life.

He himself admitted that he was subject to legal harassment, much of that from enemies.

In Missouri, he was accused of threatening a public official. After his loss in the 1838 Mormon War, Smith was charged with treason against Missouri. Smith was allowed to escape custody and fled the jurisdiction, escaping into Illinois.

The "Mormon War" came about because local residents wanted to drive the church out of the state for fear that the church would become the dominant voting bloc. In fact, the first recognized battle was the Gallatin Voting Battle, where a mob of local residents swarmed a polling station in Gallatin County to keep Mormons from voting in the election.

The charges against Smith & co. were false. After reports came out that an armed mob of locals had kidnapped some Mormons, an armed group of volunteers rode out to find them. This led to the Battle of Crooked River, where the two armed groups clashed.

One of the mob members was a member of the state militia who had deserted his post to participate in the anti-Mormon violence. He was killed in the fighting, and his death was falsely reported to Governor Boggs as being due to Mormons attacking the state militia.

Smith and several other church leaders were arrested, and Boggs arranged a kangaroo court for one of them. But when the kangaroo court failed to deliver the verdict that Boggs wanted, he ordered everyone else summarily executed. Someone in the state militia - likely General Andrew Doniphan himself - recognized that he had been given an illegal order and so allowed the others to escape.

In 1844, he was charged with inciting a riot in the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor. Smith declared martial law and called out the Nauvoo Legion to enforce it—leading to charges of treason against Illinois.

In the wake of the above, the state of Illinois allowed Nauvoo to maintain its own standing military presence, with the mayor of the city as the head of the unit. This fact is ignored by most critics of the church, changing the nature of the narrative.

Also ignored is why the military unit was readied: several regional newspapers were calling for armed violence against the members of the church.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(New Testament | Ephesians 1:3 - 5)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
(Old Testament | Jeremiah 1:5)

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
(Old Testament | Job 38:4 - 7)

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:7)

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

And??
Good know all--He knows that person A and person B will get together and have person C. He knows us even before we are born, He invented genetics--He knows what you will be. He has
We have all been chosen to be saved---that is His will---but we have freedom of choice--and we can choose to not accept His salvation.
Yes--at creation--when Jesus created this earth, all of heaven, all His heavenly host, all His angels, everything that had been created before this planet and Adam and Eve, shouted for joy---the only ones to be created in the image of all mighty God---and Jesus did it. It must have been wondrous to hear.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Without that breath of life--0we would have remained so much dust. It is His breath of life that brought us to life​
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. Jesus breathed us to life and it is the very same breath that He gave to every living creature that has breath.​
Gen_6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
Gen_7:15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
Gen_7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
2Sa_22:16 And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.
And Jesus created it all--and He created Lucifer.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes but do you understand it?

Yes--it is you that refuses to.

"and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

He created Lucifer, He created all. He is Father to Lucifer, not brother.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Prophecy about Jesus' return within 56 years--"President Smith then stated that the meeting had been called, because God had commanded it; and it was made known to him by vision and by the Holy Spirit. He then gave a relation of some of the circumstances attending us while journeying to Zion--our trials, sufferings; and said God had not designed all this for nothing, but He had it in remembrance yet; and it was the will of God that those who went to Zion, with a determination to lay down their lives, if necessary, should be ordained to the ministry, and go forth to prune the vineyard for the last time, for the coming of the Lord, which was nigh--even fifty-six years should wind up the scene." (History of the Church, vol. 2, p. 189).

Here's the original bit, complete with the inconvenient material the critics don't want you to see.

Note the whole "if" bit...

Doctrine and Covenants 130

14 I was once praying very earnestly to know the time of the coming of the Son of Man, when I heard a voice repeat the following:

15 Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter.

16 I was left thus, without being able to decide whether this coming referred to the beginning of the millennium or to some previous appearing, or whether I should die and thus see his face.

Prophecy that the temple would be built in Missouri within Smith's Generation--

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

As Lindsay notes, depending upon how you care to look at the matter, it may have already been fulfilled.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So Protestants are perfect? No they are far from it. That being said, the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is correct.

The questions I asked have nothing to do with Protestants. Do some Mormons commit adultery, do some pretend to be good Mormons, do all Mormons follow Christ? How do you know who follows Christ?

For instance, there are some of other faiths who do not regard us as Christians. That is not important. How we regard ourselves is what is important. We acknowledge without hesitation that there are differences between us. Were this not so there would have been no need for a restoration of the gospel.
Gordon B. Hinckley, General Conference, April 1998
We Bear Witness of Him - Gordon B. Hinckley

As a Church we have critics, many of them. They say we do not believe in the traditional Christ of Christianity. There is some substance to what they say. Our faith, our knowledge is not based on ancient tradition, the creeds which came of a finite understanding and out of the almost infinite discussions of men trying to arrive at a definition of the risen Christ. Our faith, our knowledge comes of the witness of a prophet in this dispensation who saw before him the great God of the universe and His Beloved Son, the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. They spoke to him. He spoke with Them. He testified openly, unequivocally, and unabashedly of that great vision. It was a vision of the Almighty and of the Redeemer of the world, glorious beyond our understanding but certain and unequivocating in the knowledge which it brought. It is out of that knowledge, rooted deep in the soil of modern revelation, that we, in the words of Nephi, “talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that [we and] our children may know to what source [we] may look for a remission of [our] sins” (2 Ne. 25:26).
We Look to Christ - Gordon B. Hinckley

Who follows Christ, IYO?

Is there something horrendously evil in asking to have your name removed from the records of the LDS church? Why are people told to repent of that one simple request?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God on the earth, but it is at present limited to an ecclesiastical kingdom. During the Millennium, the kingdom of God will be both political and ecclesiastical.
Kingdom of God or Kingdom of Heaven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Who has the right to say it is not true?

Who said it isn't true? How do you know who does or doesn't follow Christ? Who are you to question the rights of a non-Mormon?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe this scripture sums it up:

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Temple marriage is a commandment of God per Mormonism. Are temple Mormons the only Christians?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The questions I asked have nothing to do with Protestants. Do some Mormons commit adultery, do some pretend to be good Mormons, do all Mormons follow Christ? How do you know who follows Christ?

For instance, there are some of other faiths who do not regard us as Christians. That is not important. How we regard ourselves is what is important. We acknowledge without hesitation that there are differences between us. Were this not so there would have been no need for a restoration of the gospel.
Gordon B. Hinckley, General Conference, April 1998
We Bear Witness of Him - Gordon B. Hinckley

As a Church we have critics, many of them. They say we do not believe in the traditional Christ of Christianity. There is some substance to what they say. Our faith, our knowledge is not based on ancient tradition, the creeds which came of a finite understanding and out of the almost infinite discussions of men trying to arrive at a definition of the risen Christ. Our faith, our knowledge comes of the witness of a prophet in this dispensation who saw before him the great God of the universe and His Beloved Son, the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. They spoke to him. He spoke with Them. He testified openly, unequivocally, and unabashedly of that great vision. It was a vision of the Almighty and of the Redeemer of the world, glorious beyond our understanding but certain and unequivocating in the knowledge which it brought. It is out of that knowledge, rooted deep in the soil of modern revelation, that we, in the words of Nephi, “talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that [we and] our children may know to what source [we] may look for a remission of [our] sins” (2 Ne. 25:26).
We Look to Christ - Gordon B. Hinckley

Who follows Christ, IYO?

Is there something horrendously evil in asking to have your name removed from the records of the LDS church? Why are people told to repent of that one simple request?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God on the earth, but it is at present limited to an ecclesiastical kingdom. During the Millennium, the kingdom of God will be both political and ecclesiastical.
Kingdom of God or Kingdom of Heaven
He is the way said:
No two people believe the same about God. One of the reasons is that we are on differing levels of understand the Bible and other resource material related to God. There are also many levels of righteousness. Every denomination has people who are better at keeping the commandments than others. There are people who are actively doing the will of the Father and ones that aren't. I would like to point out a couple of scriptures related to what I am saying:

(New Testament | Matthew 12:50)

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 6)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Temple marriage is NOT a commandment.

WRONG!!!
Moses 1
39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Eternal Marriage Is Essential for Exaltation
Chapter 38: Eternal Marriage

Exaltation

• What is exaltation?
Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life God lives. He lives in great glory. He is perfect. He possesses all knowledge and all wisdom. He is the Father of spirit children. He is a creator. We can become like our Heavenly Father. This is exaltation.

If we prove faithful to the Lord, we will live in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom of heaven. We will become exalted, to live with our Heavenly Father in eternal families. Exaltation is the greatest gift that Heavenly Father can give His children (see D&C 14:7).
Chapter 47: Exaltation

While salvation is an individual matter, exaltation is a family matter.5 Only those who are married in the temple and whose marriage is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise will continue as spouses after death6 and receive the highest degree of celestial glory, or exaltation. A temple marriage is also called a celestial marriage. Within the celestial glory are three levels. To obtain the highest, a husband and wife must be sealed for time and all eternity and keep their covenants made in a holy temple.7...

Scriptures declare that “it is lawful that [a man] should have one wife, and they twain shall be one flesh, and all this that the earth might answer the end of its creation.”18Another affirms that “the man [is not] without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.”19 Thus, marriage is not only an exalting principle of the gospel; it is a divine commandment.

Our Heavenly Father declared, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.”20 The Atonement of His Beloved Son enabled both of these objectives to be realized. Because of the Atonement, immortality—or resurrection from the dead—became a reality for all.21 And because of the Atonement, eternal life—which is living forever in God’s presence, the “greatest of all the gifts of God”22—became a possibility. To qualify for eternal life, we must make an eternal and everlasting covenant with our Heavenly Father.23 This means that a temple marriage is not only between husband and wife; it embraces a partnership with God.24
Elder Russell M. Nelson, Celestial Marriage, General Conference, October 2008
Celestial Marriage - Elder Russell M. Nelson

“The ordinances of the temple, the endowment and sealings, pertain to exaltation in the celestial kingdom, where the sons and daughters are. The sons and daughters are not outside in some other kingdom. The sons and daughters go into the house, belong to the household, have access to the home. ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions’ [John 14:2]. Sons and daughters have access to the home where he dwells, and you cannot receive that access until you go to the temple. Why? Because you must receive certain key words as well as make covenants by which you are able to enter. If you try to get into the house, and the door is locked, how are you going to enter, if you haven’t your key? You get your key in the temple, which will admit you.“. . . You cannot find a key on the street, for that key is never lost that will open the door that enters into our Father’s mansions. You have got to go where the key is given. And each can obtain the key, if you will; but after receiving it, you may lose it, by having it taken away from you again unless you abide by the agreement which you entered into when you went into the house of the Lord.”
-Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:40–41

Doctrine and Covenants 131
1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.
Doctrine and Covenants 131

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christian my-church-cannot-save-you.jpg Christian God's grace.jpg
Christian A Prayer.jpg:praying: Praying for he is the way

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As I said, temple marriage is not a commandment of God. An ordinance is not a commandment. I am finding it harder to believe that you were ever a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). You don't seem to understand that much about the church.

No--not a commandment from God---from JS. To him, it was the same thing.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As I said, temple marriage is not a commandment of God. An ordinance is not a commandment. I am finding it harder to believe that you were ever a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). You don't seem to understand that much about the church.

Ordinances are also commandments, friend.

:praying: Praying for you.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

You don't have to believe anything about me. JESUS is the way, not I or anyone else.

"Thus, marriage is not only an exalting principle of the gospel; it is a divine commandment."

"THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
The Family: A Proclamation to the World

“The laws of God are ordained to make us happy. Happiness cannot coexist with immorality: the prophet Alma told us in profound simplicity that ‘wickedness never was happiness’ (Alma 41:10)” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1990, 107–8; or Ensign, Nov. 1990, 84).

Do you think the commandment to marry is to do it outside the temple?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I like all of these sayings.

If salvation comes through Jesus, not a church, no needs Mormonism.

We can all disregard these sayings:

"This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life. "
Marion G. Romney, CR, April 1961, 119

Therefore it was made clearly manifest that salvation is in the Church, and of the Church, and is obtained only through the Church.
Mark E. Petersen, Salvation Comes through the Church, Ensign, July 1973

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No--not a commandment from God---from JS. To him, it was the same thing.
Commandments, covenants, statutes, and ordinances and not the same thing. For instance baptism is an ordinance, and tithing is an ordinance. I don't say we should not do the ordinances, we should.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If salvation comes through Jesus, not a church, no needs Mormonism.

We can all disregard these sayings:

"This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life. "
Marion G. Romney, CR, April 1961, 119

Therefore it was made clearly manifest that salvation is in the Church, and of the Church, and is obtained only through the Church.
Mark E. Petersen, Salvation Comes through the Church, Ensign, July 1973
(New Testament | Ephesians 5:25)

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to believe anything about me. JESUS is the way, not I or anyone else.

"Thus, marriage is not only an exalting principle of the gospel; it is a divine commandment."

"THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
The Family: A Proclamation to the World

“The laws of God are ordained to make us happy. Happiness cannot coexist with immorality: the prophet Alma told us in profound simplicity that ‘wickedness never was happiness’ (Alma 41:10)” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1990, 107–8; or Ensign, Nov. 1990, 84).
Covenants and Ordinances

We have been promised that through obedience to the new and everlasting covenant of marriage, we may become like God and live forever as families in His presence.
2: The New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage

“The whole subject of the marriage relation is not in my reach, nor in any other man’s reach on this earth. It is without beginning of days or end of years; it is a hard matter to reach. We can tell some things with regard to it; it lays the foundation for worlds, for angels, and for the Gods; for intelligent beings to be crowned with glory, immortality, and eternal lives. In fact, it is the thread which runs from the beginning to the end of the holy Gospel of Salvation—of the Gospel of the Son of God; it is from eternity to eternity” (in Discourses of Brigham Young, 195).
Marriage for Eternity

“The ultimate purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father.”
Boyd K. Packer, Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 8; Ensign, May 1995, 8

“If the family unit continues, then by virtue of that fact the members of the family have gained eternal life (exaltation), the greatest of all the gifts of God, for by definition exaltation consists in the continuation of the family unit in eternity. Those so inheriting are the sons and daughters of God, the members of his family, those who have made their callings and elections sure. They are joint-heirs with Christ to all that the Father hath, and they receive the fulness of the glory of the Father, becoming gods in their own right. (D&C 132; Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 2, pp. 58–99.)” (Mormon Doctrine, 117).
Marriage for Eternity
Yes Jesus is the way, the only way. Those who love Him keep His commandments and walk the way He walked. They are willing to:

(New Testament | Hebrews 12:9 - 15)

10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, get your head out of the Tanners' nonsense and start exploring things for yourself.

He himself admitted that he was subject to legal harassment, much of that from enemies.

The "Mormon War" came about because local residents wanted to drive the church out of the state for fear that the church would become the dominant voting bloc. In fact, the first recognized battle was the Gallatin Voting Battle, where a mob of local residents swarmed a polling station in Gallatin County to keep Mormons from voting in the election.

The charges against Smith & co. were false. After reports came out that an armed mob of locals had kidnapped some Mormons, an armed group of volunteers rode out to find them. This led to the Battle of Crooked River, where the two armed groups clashed.

One of the mob members was a member of the state militia who had deserted his post to participate in the anti-Mormon violence. He was killed in the fighting, and his death was falsely reported to Governor Boggs as being due to Mormons attacking the state militia.

Smith and several other church leaders were arrested, and Boggs arranged a kangaroo court for one of them. But when the kangaroo court failed to deliver the verdict that Boggs wanted, he ordered everyone else summarily executed. Someone in the state militia - likely General Andrew Doniphan himself - recognized that he had been given an illegal order and so allowed the others to escape.

In the wake of the above, the state of Illinois allowed Nauvoo to maintain its own standing military presence, with the mayor of the city as the head of the unit. This fact is ignored by most critics of the church, changing the nature of the narrative.

Also ignored is why the military unit was readied: several regional newspapers were calling for armed violence against the members of the church.

Shortly after what Mormons consider to be the restoration of the gospel, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1830, Joseph Smith revealed that the Second Coming of Christ was near, that the City of Zion would be near the town of Independence in Jackson County, Missouri, and that his followers were destined to inherit the land held by the current settlers.

"If ye are faithful, ye shall assemble yourselves together to rejoice upon the land of Missouri, which is the land of your inheritance, which is now the land of your enemies."

The point is, no matter how you twist it..........The 2nd Coming DID NOT HAPPEN as Mr. Smith claimed which makes him a false prophet!!!!!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Shortly after what Mormons consider to be the restoration of the gospel, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1830, Joseph Smith revealed that the Second Coming of Christ was near, that the City of Zion would be near the town of Independence in Jackson County, Missouri, and that his followers were destined to inherit the land held by the current settlers.

"If ye are faithful, ye shall assemble yourselves together to rejoice upon the land of Missouri, which is the land of your inheritance, which is now the land of your enemies."

The point is, no matter how you twist it..........The 2nd Coming DID NOT HAPPEN as Mr. Smith claimed which makes him a false prophet!!!!!
Isaiah's prophesy did not happen:

(Old Testament | 2 Kings 20:1 - 7)

1 IN those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live.
2 Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying,
3 I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.
4 And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the word of the LORD came to him, saying,
5 Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the LORD.
6 And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.
7 And Isaiah said, Take a lump of figs. And they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered.

The point is that prophecies are conditional. Jesus quoted Isaiah because he was a prophet. The city of Zion will be built in Jackson county Missouri. It will be the land of their inheritance when the earth is glorified.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Show me where the Bible states there was no pre-existence. Show me where the Bible states there was no war in heaven. Now as for mother in heaven:

(Old Testament | Genesis 1:26 - 28)

26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God the Father is male, who is Eve in the image of?

Smith had no knowledge of Hebrew, it's deep meanings. What he failed to understand is that God is all---He is both all male and all female--He is the nurturing mother, the Heavenly Father--that is why in the original pictographs in Hebrew, God, El Shaddai. is an oxen with breasts the word means mighty breasts--the ox was to represent (often represented with a yoke)--a yoke has 2 ox, an older, knowledgeable one, and younger one. Older representing God teaching the younger one (Israel) depicted with breasts to show Him as a nourishing, protective God. You people have taken this in totally the wrong way and ran with it to places God did not direct you to! Smith was totally ignorant of what Hebrew is and distorted it to his own purposes. He took God's female attributes and assigned them a role that does not, never did exist. He is a false prophet in every sense of the word.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Show me where the Bible states there was no pre-existence. Show me where the Bible states there was no war in heaven. Now as for mother in heaven:

(Old Testament | Genesis 1:26 - 28)

26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God the Father is male, who is Eve in the image of?
Where? Genesis 1:1 ... "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
There is nothing before the beginning, the only thing that existed prior to Genesis 1:1 was God.

Since Jesus revealed "God is spirit" (John 4:24), it is therefore not a physical attribute in which they were created but a state of being ... "perfect".
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.