• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Artificial sweeteners

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Since it is a bad idea to use sugar, it might come to mind to use artificial sweeteners but I am finding it difficult to use the latter. They tend to increase my appetite (not that processed sugars don't). I want to use things like diabetic-friendly yogurt that is low in carbs (e.g. Kroger's Carbmaster yogurt) or pancake syrup that is sugar-free or frozen desserts like low-carb ice cream bars but that one ingredient Sucralose is starting to make me weary because I'm starting to notice my appetite creep up with it. What does one do? Do you still use any of these kinds of products even if an artificial sweetener is in them?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lady Bug, you could look for products that use Stevia, or add the Stevia to various foods yourself (it's natural, a plant extract from what I understand).

As for artificial sweeteners, I like Equal, but I watched ants march around a big pile of Equal, and then a pile of Sweet and Low, to get to the bread and pile of sugar on the other side. Then they marched back past the piles of artificial sweeteners, giving both piles a wide berth so that their legs wouldn't come close to even touching it.

I'd always heard that artificial sweeteners were bad for you, but after I saw that, I decided to take the warnings a little more seriously ;)

So give Stevia a shot. Maybe it will work for you :oldthumbsup:

--David

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I guess I'll definitely look for things with Stevia in it. So far it's to no avail unless I buy Stevia separately. Splenda (Sucralose) seems pervasively in most of these no-sugar-added foods. I don't know what to do with those 18 Splenda-including yogurts I have in the basement though lol.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As for artificial sweeteners, I like Equal, but I watched ants march around a big pile of Equal, and then a pile of Sweet and Low, to get to the bread and pile of sugar on the other side. Then they marched back past the piles of artificial sweeteners, giving both piles a wide berth so that their legs wouldn't come

I also give artificial sweeteners a wide berth!

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Honey and coconut sugar are also great replacing regular sugar. Both are natural sweeteners.
Hi Jeshu, both of those can raise your blood sugar levels though, can't they? (something Lady Bug, if she is diabetic, probably doesn't want to do)

I don't think Stevia tastes as good as honey or coconut sugar, but it doesn't touch blood sugar levels.

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I found a yogurt with Stevia! (Dannon Oikos Triple Zero). Now onto a syrup...
My wife brought that home for me to try when I was looking to go low fat due of a gallbladder issue. I saw it was low in everything else too, except taste oddly (particularly the vanilla flavor), and I've been eating it ever since :) I'm glad to know that it's sweetened with Stevia!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stevia has been used as a sweetener in South America for over 500 years of recorded history (thanks to the Spanish), and for probably a few hundred more by the natives, with no record of ill effect; unlike the artificial sweeteners like aspartame.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found out though that Stevia had been used in South America as an appetite stimulant in cattle...
That does not mean it works that way in humans.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Fortunately Stevia has no adverse effect on my appetite. I would like to buy Stevia packets but it also contains erythiritol and rebiana for example. Does anyone know if that causes increase in appetite? The stevia itself doesn't...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am checking that out right now. One liquid version says this:
"WATER, STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), POASSIUM SORBATE, (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS)."
I don't know if Sodium Benzoate is a code word for MSG lol.

The other liquid ones I've found have that E word in it...

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
p.s. I read that "E" is an artificial sweetener though...ugh I don't respond well to those...they increase my appetite, even though I have no idea if this one would...

edit: I was wrong, it's not artificial, but I have qualms about using it because I don't want my appetite to possibly increase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
.. it's not artificial, but I have qualms about using it because I don't want my appetite to possibly increase.
I think I'd try it and see as that is probably the only way you're going to find out, especially since you like Stevia and want to use it.

I'm bett'n that it won't, but I guess you never know.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think I'd try it and see as that is probably the only way you're going to find out, especially since you like Stevia and want to use it.

I'm bett'n that it won't, but I guess you never know.
In my earlier comments I had stated worries that since Stevia was an appetite stimulant in cattle in South America, that it would do the same to me, but thankfully I was proven wrong. The only way to know about the E (lol I hate trying to spell that word) is to try, I guess.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics