Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi; so what do you think of people making anatomy drawings for medical study?

It depends on how it is drawn, not all of it shows everything too clear. Although perhaps some may find a skeleton attractive, or pictures where you see most blood veins, or similiar. It is of course different when it is about medical type of drawings.

Now my main point to the reply I gave to Galatea was more about being wrong about stereotyping all women as thinking the same way. ;) Same as when I read/hear about women saying that all men are pigs and only thinks about one thing. You have women who complain about this, but it doesn't mean it is true for all men. You have also a lot of men who respects women and wishes to treat them well as well as they want to remain pure in mind and heart. Or at least wishes to work towards this goal, especially when they love God. Same goes for women too. :)

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I am a married artist and am wondering what your thoughts are on a christian modeling in the nude for a figure drawing class? Is this completely unacceptable? Would this be forbidden in a marriage even though it is not sexual? I am just curious to see how it would be perceived within a CHristian Community.

Look forward to some insight as I have been asked to do this but not sure as a Christian if this is "sin" if there are no alterior motives other than helping artists improve their drawing skills.
It's completely unacceptable .... That you appear to be seeking what is right by measuring it against the opinions of the community when you already have the word of God and you know it's not right in his sight.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For me its about intent.
PS: I guess - in a broader perspective - it's a bit like the somewhat sterile narrative about whether nurses ought to cover their tattoos; rules applying to both genders, etc. People can choose get worked up about all sorts of things, but in the end it can become rather pointless, IMHO.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It depends on how it is drawn, not all of it shows everything too clear. Although perhaps some may find a skeleton attractive, or pictures where you see most blood veins, or similiar. It is of course different when it is about medical type of drawings.

Now my main point to the reply I gave to Galatea was more about being wrong about stereotyping all women as thinking the same way. ;) Same as when I read/hear about women saying that all men are pigs and only thinks about one thing. You have women who complain about this, but it doesn't mean it is true for all men. You have also a lot of men who respects women and wishes to treat them well as well as they want to remain pure in mind and heart. Or at least wishes to work towards this goal, especially when they love God. Same goes for women too. :)
Okay, thanks!

I guess it could be argued that if it's for medical purposes, then it had better be accurate.

I think context plays a part, also.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PS: I guess - in a broader perspective - it's a bit like the somewhat sterile narrative about whether nurses ought to cover their tattoos; rules applying to both genders, etc. People can choose get worked up about all sorts of things, but in the end it can become rather pointless, IMHO.

Well, in the hospital I think they are supposed to cover up tattoos, as well as put their hair up, not wear jewelry as well as not too much make up... So there are certain rules that must be followed when someone works at a hospital.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, in the hospital I think they are supposed to cover up tattoos, as well as put their hair up, not wear jewelry as well as not too much make up... So there are certain rules that must be followed when someone works at a hospital.
I think it varies a great deal from one hospital district to another; but in any case I'm sure that many longserving nurses of either gender have ink that doesn't impinge on the quality work they do.

I hope we're not getting off topic, though.

I guess it could be said that personal art is personal art.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a lil differently to Galatea but respect what she writes. For me its about intent. Its art class not a sex class so... You could be a model patient for a class of med /nursing students.... same thing. I think we should NOT focus on "what if I stimulate someone" and instead on the benefits of what you're doing for students.

How many of the college students who take the art class do so to see the nude model. They are paying tuition anyway. Now they can save some of the money they would have spent on the strip club.

Some students take the psych classes that show the sex videos for the same reason.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi; so what do you think of people making anatomy drawings for medical study?

I guess that my underlying point is that context is important and that that there are always going to be grey areas.

Like using a cadaver? Anyway, the OP isn't talking about a medical class.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I gues
Like using a cadaver? Anyway, the OP isn't talking about a medical class.
I guess it's also a case of context. Up here a court legalized topless sunbathing (I don't think it's a good idea), but anyway in the context of an art class I guess the focus is learning to draw.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟909,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it's acceptable, personally. I don't think nudism in any form is acceptable.

Genesis is pretty clear on it. Before sin entered the world, all was well. After sin entered the world, no, it is not okay.

Unfortunately with media the way it is now and with so much emphasis placed on individuality within faith, a lot of things like this have become normalised or left at the individual's discretion when in reality most of those things aren't permissible according to Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,201,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I am a married artist and am wondering what your thoughts are on a christian modeling in the nude for a figure drawing class? Is this completely unacceptable? Would this be forbidden in a marriage even though it is not sexual? I am just curious to see how it would be perceived within a CHristian Community.

Look forward to some insight as I have been asked to do this but not sure as a Christian if this is "sin" if there are no alterior motives other than helping artists improve their drawing skills.

We are told in Scripture to imitate Christ (Romans 8:29) (Matthew 10:25).
So the question is easily resolved by asking, "What would Jesus do?"

Do you think Jesus would do something like this?
Granted there are some situations that do not apply like marriage, etc.
But if the Lord created the beauty of all things, do you think He would pose nude in a fallen world and take the chance on those few women out there who are stimulated visually to lust after Him? Surely not.
Also, what if a piece of artwork of yourself nude got out there on the internet or ended up in an art gallery and one of your close family members or friends had seen it?
I know I wouldn't want my family members seeing me nude.
That would be weird.
Scripture says that my body is for my wife.
Being exposed is something special for only her eyes (and vise versa).
For would you like it if your wife posed nude and men lusted after her?
I don't think so. Why take the chance on that one rare woman out there in lusting after you in the wrong way? I don't think it would be a good or Godly thing for you to do. Remember, while a person can use their art talent for God, there is nothing in God's Word that says art galleries full of nude models is something that is of God. Yes, Adam and Eve were nude, but this was before they sinned and were later covered with clothes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's acceptable, personally. I don't think nudism in any form is acceptable.

Genesis is pretty clear on it. Before sin entered the world, all was well. After sin entered the world, no, it is not okay.

Unfortunately with media the way it is now and with so much emphasis placed on individuality within faith, a lot of things like this have become normalised or left at the individual's discretion when in reality most of those things aren't permissible according to Scripture.

True. I also don't enjoy watching movie scenes which contains a lot of nudity/sex scenes. Me and my husband we always skip those parts in a movie as we don't find it fitting watching it, though some earlier friends of mine would say that it should be okay watching it as nowadays it was considered as normal and fine to watch it. Knowing myself I know that if I watch a lot of this it does mess up with my mindset and even makes me insecure of myself, can make me start thinking more of it, e.t.c... Though another Christian friends couple I know of said that this will happen to most of us, even to my earlier friends as well even if they don't want to admit it. It pollutes your mind, as well as why should we desire watching other people getting nude or any sex scene? Even if it is for pretending you still understand what is supposed to be going on there.

• Agree
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True. I also don't enjoy watching movie scenes which contains a lot of nudity/sex scenes. Me and my husband we always skip those parts in a movie as we don't find it fitting watching it, though some earlier friends of mine would say that it should be okay watching it as nowadays it was considered as normal and fine to watch it. Knowing myself I know that if I watch a lot of this it does mess up with my mindset and even makes me insecure of myself, can make me start thinking more of it, e.t.c... Though another Christian friends couple I know of said that this will happen to most of us, even to my earlier friends as well even if they don't want to admit it. It pollutes your mind, as well as why should we desire watching other people getting nude or any sex scene? Even if it is for pretending you still understand what is supposed to be going on there.
Oh I would agree when it goes that far, certainly. Best avoided.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟129,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the response. She is an artist as well and is ok with it. I was just mainly curious as to whether or not it would be deemed as sinful. Or if it is ok for me to do? Just wondering if I am over thinking this or not because I don't really see it as a big deal...

To do this would be (imho) very imprudent for a Christian, participating in the possible if not likely "near occasion of sin" for yourself, your wife, and others in the class. Sex is dynamite - we can claim professional or artistic "detachment", but we are all fallen creatures subject to temptations of all sorts, And sex is for men one of the most powerful of temptations. Women, perhaps, are most endangered by temptation to vanity, often linked to physical beauty so desirable to men!

Clothes immediately followed the fall into sin for good reason: sexual attraction in men for women is very dangerous and can be spiritually lethal, for both men and women, even if for different reasons. This invitation sounds like a step down a path that you do not want to go, as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
For some perspective, I don't think nudity in medicine applies here at all. They are vastly different.

Medicine depersonalises somewhat. Mr Jones becomes the Appendicitis in bed 4 or Mrs Smith the neck of femur fracture. Patients aren't objects of lust, but work. Nudity is to examine breast tissue say, not for aesthetic reasons.
Even very intimate examinations like vaginal or rectal, are not even remotely sexual. They are usually tedious or irritating especcially as you know patients will feel uncomfortable about them, hence you have to have another staff member present or have to explain what you are doing in detail. Basically nudity in medicine is a schlep for all, a necessity that you wish you could do without. Luckily in theatre the patient is anaesthetised so we can get on without it being a problem, the patient's nudity being so routine that no one even notices.

Art is about aesthetic appreciation of the human form. It is vastly different in that beauty tends to play a large part of lust.
But the human form is beautiful, as God made it. I see no reason why we can't acknowledge this and celebrate it.
I do think artistic nudity more dangerous. I think the chance of it leading to lust and objectification very high, as humans are inherently sinful and fallen. I don't think it sinful in and of itself, but certainly a risk. It is like a unmarried couple going on a romantic getaway, not sin but may lead to it.

Some people will sin regardless how innocuous the material, like people lusting for cartoon characters. Others will look at nudes and have no sexual feelings at all.
It is really on an individual basis and each persons' own struggle against our sinful nature. This is why we are told not to judge. I don't know if someone's interest in nudes is innocent or not, so to condemn others for making it on account of this, seems a bit of a reach. No one condemns someone taking fully clothed pictures, but I assure you many have sinned while looking at such pictures as well.
Many have looked at nudity in religious art and felt the touch of God.
Each will face their Maker one day and shall have to account. If nudity made you falter, than it must be cast away as Jesus said of the eye or hand. If it didn't, then certainly there is no reason to discard it. One cannot defend others from all that may cause sin, as it is very easy to fall into sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How many of the college students who take the art class do so to see the nude model. They are paying tuition anyway. Now they can save some of the money they would have spent on the strip club.

Some students take the psych classes that show the sex videos for the same reason.
Youre arguing that some students of art and psych do it so they can see something sexual? Where did you form that impression?

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2012
Melbourne
✟13,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Hi,

Yes, it is the "nature of sin". I wouldn't do it. Your body is a Sacred Temple to God. It must only be shared with your spouse. Your eyes are the windows to your life. You cannot share a naked body outside of your Temple / Marriage. And yes, it's unacceptable.

In Spirit,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

djames1958

Jun 15, 2013
✟8,479.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

One thing that you must consider is the fact that even raising the question at all means that you have doubts about it - and believe that it might be inherently wrong. Therefore, based on the biblical principle of anything not done in faith is sin, it would be a sin for you, even if not inherently sinful - because it would mean you would be willing to do something that you think might be sin.

Secondly, even though the concept has been trivialized with the overuse of "WWJD" - it is still a valid consideration. So, would Jesus have modeled in the nude for an aspiring art student. I honestly cannot imagine that he would do so under any circumstances - and so, if we are to follow his example, then the answer would be, "No - it's not okay."

Another helpful exercise is to imagine that Jesus is standing before you and you have the opportunity to ask him, "Lord, is this okay or should I not do it." I think most godly people (I'm not talking about legalists or legalism here) would understand without hesitation that the Lord would say, "No - it's not a good idea. You shouldn't do this."

I think many valid opinions have been offered concerning encouraging lust. And so, on even the remotest chance that even one art student (male or female) might be tempted to lust in even the slightest degree, you cannot pose nude.

And finally, I would go back to the situation in the Garden when Adam and Eve fell into sin. Their newly acquired knowledge of evil immediately caused them to try to cover their nakedness, because in their fallen condition and all that entailed, they understood that being physically exposed was inherently wrong. This was further confirmed by the fact that the Lord sacrificed the first animal to provide a more suitable and more complete covering for them. Of course, this was symbolic of what it means to be clothed by God himself with the righteousness of Christ (which would be later fully revealed in the NT) - but there is also the practical lesson.

Therefore, on multiple grounds and lines of reasoning - biblically, theologically, morally and ethically, I believe a very strong argument can be made that it would be wrong - and therefore sinful to pose in the nude.

Dave James
The Alliance for Biblical Integrity
www.biblicalintegrity.org

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another helpful exercise is to imagine that Jesus is standing before you and you have the opportunity to ask him, "Lord, is this okay or should I not do it." I think most godly people (I'm not talking about legalists or legalism here) would understand without hesitation that the Lord would say, "No - it's not a good idea. You shouldn't do this."

Also to ask yourself if you would have liked to pose in the nude if Jesus was there before you? I wouldn't have liked that! If one wouldn't have liked doing certain things when Jesus is right there beside you then you better not do it at all!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told in Scripture to imitate Christ (Romans 8:29) (Matthew 10:25).
So the question is easily resolved by asking, "What would Jesus do?"

Do you think Jesus would do something like this?
Granted there are some situations that do not apply like marriage, etc.
But if the Lord created the beauty of all things, do you think He would pose nude in a fallen world and take the chance on those few women out there who are stimulated visually to lust after Him? Surely not.
Also, what if a piece of artwork of yourself nude got out there on the internet or ended up in an art gallery and one of your close family members or friends had seen it?
I know I wouldn't want my family members seeing me nude.
That would be weird.
Scripture says that my body is for my wife.
Being exposed is something special for only her eyes (and vise versa).
For would you like it if your wife posed nude and men lusted after her?
I don't think so. Why take the chance on that one rare woman out there in lusting after you in the wrong way? I don't think it would be a good or Godly thing for you to do. Remember, while a person can use their art talent for God, there is nothing in God's Word that says art galleries full of nude models is something that is of God. Yes, Adam and Eve were nude, but this was before they sinned and were later covered with clothes.

Nothing wrong with going back to being naked and not ashamed.......but you insist on pushing that fruit down our throats.. So ok.....I'll take another bite.... Yes nudity is bad....very bad. I'll ask God for a fig leaf now and continue on my way. thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0