Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Michelle Duggar, 41, is due on New Year's Day, and the latest addition will join seven sisters and 10 brothers. There are two sets of twins.

The fast-growing family lives in Tontitown in northwest Arkansas in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

She and her husband, Jim Bob Duggar, said they'll keep having children as long as God wills it.

http://www.happynews.com/news/592008/happy-mother-day-woman-pregnant-18th-child.htm

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟109,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted for the last option though I did not like the wording of the last option. I would not indiscriminately have as many children as God wanted me to have. No, I would have as many children as God wanted me to have responsibly meaning that if I knew I couldn't afford to have more, I'd practice natural family planning in order to put some space between my current youngest child and the next child.

I truly believe that birth control or artificial contraception is evil and that God wants us to have as many children as we responsibly can have. And yes, that generally means a lot more than just 1 or 2 or even 3 or 4. Most married couples could probably handle at least 6-8 children without seriously hurting their finances or anything. You just have to know how to be frugal and how to handle your finances and such.

Unfortunately, most of this modern world is too selfish and greedy to want to do God's will. They say 1 or 2 children is enough because oh no, it might just impede on our ability to have that wide screen tv and digital cable and high speed Internet and that brand new car we've always wanted! Or, oh no, it might keep me from having the career that I just have to have! I'm sorry but that is just selfish.

Please read the following quotes from the Catechism (numbers in bold indicate paragraph number of Catechism) and the following links to learn more about why artificial contraception or birth control is wrong:

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality. These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom. In contrast, "every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" is intrinsically evil:

Thus the innate language that expresses the total reciprocal self-giving of husband and wife is overlaid, through contraception, by an objectively contradictory language, namely, that of not giving oneself totally to the other. This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love, which is called upon to give itself in personal totality. . . . The difference, both anthropological and moral, between contraception and recourse to the rhythm of the cycle . . . involves in the final analysis two irreconcilable concepts of the human person and of human sexuality.

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
2399 The regulation of births represents one of the aspects of responsible fatherhood and motherhood. Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception).

http://www.catholic.com/library/Birth_Control.asp

http://www.catholic.com/library/Contraception_and_Sterilization.asp

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/contraception.html

Upvote 0

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good on Michelle Duggar for doing what she believes is right, and for following through with it.

HOWEVER, if and when she starts trying to advocate that all married couples follow her lead, I'll withdraw my admiration for her.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
H., the wording of the last option on your poll is the wording of a man who doesn't have kids. ^_^

There's nothing "indiscriminate" about it. If Michelle didn't want to have 18 kids, she wouldn't have 18 kids. It's about 16 more than I could handle, but then, I'm not a woman. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good for her, I guess. I don't exactly think that it's great that she can't spend one-on-one time with each and every one of her kids every day, but oh, well. Seems like she's able to make things work for herself and her family.

Upvote 0

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just wonder if they would be doing the same thing if they weren't able to sell their story.

They were having lots of kids LONG before anyone started writing stories about them. And they're doing fine without money from selling their stories - Jim Bob has done pretty well in real estate.

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I voted for the last option though I did not like the wording of the last option. I would not indiscriminately have as many children as God wanted me to have. No, I would have as many children as God wanted me to have responsibly meaning that if I knew I couldn't afford to have more, I'd practice natural family planning in order to put some space between my current youngest child and the next child.

I truly believe that birth control or artificial contraception is evil and that God wants us to have as many children as we responsibly can have. And yes, that generally means a lot more than just 1 or 2 or even 3 or 4. Most married couples could probably handle at least 6-8 children without seriously hurting their finances or anything. You just have to know how to be frugal and how to handle your finances and such.

Unfortunately, most of this modern world is too selfish and greedy to want to do God's will. They say 1 or 2 children is enough because oh no, it might just impede on our ability to have that wide screen tv and digital cable and high speed Internet and that brand new car we've always wanted! Or, oh no, it might keep me from having the career that I just have to have! I'm sorry but that is just selfish.

There is also the selfishness of having as many kids as they can "take care of" without considering the rest of the world population. We're over 6 billion people, after all. We are too many people as it is and being part of the problem by "having as many kids as God lets you". That's irresponsible and selfish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good on Michelle Duggar for doing what she believes is right, and for following through with it.

Good on Osama bin Laden for doing what he believes is right, and following through with it. :doh:
Good for George W. Bush for doing what he believes is right, and following through with it. :doh:

See the logic?

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's "different".

I just wonder if they would be doing the same thing if they weren't able to sell their story.
You think she spent 11 years of her life pregnant so she could sell a story? Journalists don't pay for stories, first of all, and I see no mention of a book in the works.

:doh:

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good on Osama bin Laden for doing what he believes is right, and following through with it. :doh:
Good for George W. Bush for doing what he believes is right, and following through with it. :doh:

See the logic?
Michelle Duggar isn't harming anyone, though. So I don't quite see how you could compare her to Osama bin Laden or George W. Bush.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

See the logic?

Dude, are you so full of hatred that you have it out for people who want to have kids? How can you even compare those two, to this woman? She's making life, not destroying it.

Upvote 0

Altalia Slosky

I don't do mornings.
May 9, 2008
North Cackalacky
✟1,337.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I say, if they're able to afford all those kids(which they seem to be) more power to them! It would be another thing though if they were popping out all these kids and living off the state. That, I would have NO respect for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Altalia Slosky

I don't do mornings.
May 9, 2008
North Cackalacky
✟1,337.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

See the logic?

Comparing the Duggars to a terrorist?:doh:What a silly comparison. How many people have the Duggars killed lately? :doh:

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
I don't think there's anything great about this. She turned herself into a baby-making machine for God, and the Duggars are raising their kids to be fundamentalists. The upside though, is that statistically at least one of them is going to be gay. :p

Reactions: moonkitty
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there's anything great about this. She turned herself into a baby-making machine for God, and the Duggars are raising their kids to be fundamentalists. The upside though, is that statistically at least one of them is going to be gay. :p
Well it's not like we can stop people from choosing to raise their children as fundamentalists, so why whine about it?

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

See the logic?

Nonexistent things are not seeable.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Well it's not like we can stop people from choosing to raise their children as fundamentalists, so why whine about it?
Because these are the types of people who try to block funding for embryonic stem cell research, restrict reproductive rights, block equal rights for homosexuals, and sabotage biology classes, making the world worse off for all the rest of us.

I'm not suggesting the Duggars should be stopped by the government, just saying that this eighteenth birth isn't a "day of joy" for an already overcrowded world.

Is giving a dissenting opinion whining?

Upvote 0