St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As an atheist (which your profile says you are) do you define evolutionism as being "science" - do you read the rule as "you cannot call evolutionism a religion"???
It's your word--you can define it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The theory of evolution is science, thats a fact.

Is it reproducible? observable in terms of rocks, dust, gas, sunlight turning into a horse over time - given enough time and chance? you know... the basics of actual science.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is it reproducible? observable in terms of rocks turning into a horse over time - given enough time and chance? you know... actual science.
Your mischaracterisation only shows your ignorance.

But the ToE is still a scientific theory.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Is it reproducible? observable in terms of rocks, dust, gas, sunlight turning into a horse over time - given enough time and chance? you know... the basics of actual science.
Evidence of those events can be examined and the observations are reproducible--the basis of actual science.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,946.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
And yet - evolutionism is still taught in public schools. Given that they already have that breach - then find - creationism as well.
I completely and totally agree. Sky Woman and Turtle Island need to be taught in public schools along side Evolution.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Teaching Creationism or, more precisely, teaching "Creation science" has been ruled unconstitutional in several courts, but teaching of the existence of some alternate theories concerning the origin of the universe--turtles included--is not. Many elementary and secondary schools teach about the culture of pre-Columbian peoples, for example.

if you look closely at page 1 of this thread - you can see a hint of how Christianity is denigrated when the mere mention of equal footing is proposed for the two doctrines on origins.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
if you look closely at page 1 of this thread - you can see a hint of how Christianity is denigrated when the mere mention of equal footing is proposed for the two doctrines on origins.
Christianity does not in general equal science deniers. Its a very small subset.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the observations are reproducible

Observations of what "are reproducible" .

I can look out my window and see a tree - and claim that my observation is reproducible but that does not mean "observed" or "reproduced" either the creation event or the much imagined evolution of life on Earth event from a lifeless rock.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You don't have the authority to speak for Christianity as a whole in this context.

• Agree
Reactions: VirOptimus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

You don't have the authority to speak for Christianity as a whole in this context.

And I don't need to -- the evidence on page one speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Observations of what "are reproducible" .

I can look out my window and see a tree - and claim that my observation is reproducible but that does not mean "observed" or "reproduced" either the creation event or the much imagined evolution of life on Earth event from a lifeless rock.
Observations of physical evidence and the results of experiments. The scientific method does not require that the events themselves being investigated be reproduced.

• Agree
Reactions: VirOptimus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And I don't need to -- the evidence on page one speaks for itself.
There is no general denigration of Christianity anywhere in this thread so far as I can see. Biblical creationists? That's a different story (unless you think that biblical creationists are the only "real" Christians...)

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get your notion of what constitutes actual science? How many technical scientific papers have you written?

ETA: I ask because your idea of what science is bears little similarity to what scientists think it is.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Oh yes, but it's how the courts rule that matters (so far as this proposal is concerned). I wanted to make the point that the language of this bill apparently avoids the usual reason given for not allowing "Creation Science" to be taught.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What two doctrines on origins are you referring to? Presumably one is evolution, but evolution does not rule out divine creation as such so that can't be the other one. What is left but biblical creationism?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.