Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now you are being silly.
No evidence ≠ no event.

Albeit you did say 'certain events.'

But you weren't willing to put the creation events into that category.

In short, I put the creation events in the same category as Jesus' footprints on the Sea of Galilee as far as evidence is concerned.

Upvote 0

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Ark Encounter is a Christian themed amusement park, built in part to teach Ken Ham's version of Creationism. The park features a giant model of Noah's Ark, built to the measurements found in the Bible's Old Testament.

The project was spearheaded by Evangelical preacher, Ken Ham. He is a Young Earth Creationist famous for his debate with Bill Nye. He directs a ministry called Answers in Genesis, and he directs the Creation Museum.

In this video (the first of several) I [John Perry] share what I witnessed at the Ark Encounter, I introduce viewers what what I call "Hammonism" (Ken Ham's special version of Christianity), and I talk about some of the scientific claims made by Ken Ham at the Ark Encounter.​

View attachment 297345
Ken Ham is a con-man and a grifter. He knows his marks will buy whatever he is selling.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The news is one thing, and what we know in what he really did is another. I am not God to fully judge another believer and everything that others say he does. What I can judge is what I see them doing with my own two eyes.

As for what you call a monstrosity. It's a reconstruction of the Ark. Would you rather the kids go to Disneyland whereby the promote witchcraft and other sins?

So is he breaking the Law whereby he is in prison now?
Usually a shady person who scams others and breaks the laws end up going to prison.
Do you know the intimate workings of Ken Ham's finances?
Maybe he did not have enough money to pay the taxes.
Did you ever think profits may have been down?
Are you God to know his heart and all the situations he has faced in putting forth his Bible based museums?
Granted, I don't think I could own such a theme park because it falls into the realm of being rich.
But that's another topic of discussion.
In either case, I do believe God is using the Ark Encounter despite Ken Ham for a greater good.
I believe it is an impressive display of the Bible coming to life with seeing a life sized Ark.

I guess. The whole thing strikes me as problematic. Here you have a theme park with an explicitly religious theme. Everything they do reflects on their religious association. They transfer the main property to Crosswater Canyon, and file for an exemption as a religious non-profit. What? It's a park that one pays to enter. It's not a church. Yes, they reversed it, but it is a bad look. The park generated plenty of money and they ended up paying the taxes anyway.

I don't think it is sufficient to say, "Yes, but they're doing God's work." They should have done the right thing from the get go, and not have tried to weasel out of it. But, whatever. I guess since it is a biblical theme park we should just look the other way and thank God. Pfft.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This question is for all you guys who are arcing and sparking about this park:

Do (or did) you arc and spark about SETI?

I'm not a big fan, only because it's so open ended. At what point does one abandon the hypothesis of ETs? It's not falsifiable. If private donors want to support it, which there seems to be plenty of, then okay.

Is there a SETI theme park that has tried to play itself off as a non-profit? I don't know.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If private donors want to support it, which there seems to be plenty of, then okay.
QV please:

By early December, bylaws were finalized describing the Institute’s focus on the research and education aspects of all factors of the Drake Equation. We collected a terrific volunteer board for the new corporation and held the first board meeting on December 20, 1984. Using the bylaws as a basis, I produced the necessary filings for state and federal income tax exemptions, and the first grant proposal was authored by Jill Tarter. The state and federal approvals came through, the grant proposal was successful, and funding came in right on schedule on February 1, 1985. The first ten employees (including Jill and me) were hired, and we were on our way!

SOURCE

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
QV please:

By early December, bylaws were finalized describing the Institute’s focus on the research and education aspects of all factors of the Drake Equation. We collected a terrific volunteer board for the new corporation and held the first board meeting on December 20, 1984. Using the bylaws as a basis, I produced the necessary filings for state and federal income tax exemptions, and the first grant proposal was authored by Jill Tarter. The state and federal approvals came through, the grant proposal was successful, and funding came in right on schedule on February 1, 1985. The first ten employees (including Jill and me) were hired, and we were on our way!

SOURCE

Well, there it is. I think it's a waste of funding (assuming I read your link correctly). It's not clear if it's privately funded. It appears NASA funds some of their astrobiology work? It just strikes me as a possible money pit. Of course, if any extraterrestrial intelligence were found, the funding would prove well placed. But at what point does one say we have spent enough time, energy, and funds on this?

SETI Institute - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Alright. Not going down that rabbit hole with you. You have to know the Creator of the Universe in order to see that Evolution is false. My trying to bring up points is really not going to help you all that much. Besides, such a thing is not really the topic of this thread. We are talking about Ken Ham and his beliefs.
You appear it only have a belief and not knowledge of the creator. Knowledge is demonstrable. And you brought up evolution. If you make an obviously false claim that you cannot defend you have no grounds for complaint when you are corrected.

But let's get back to Ham. He is demonstrably wrong about Noah's Ark and evolution as well.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No evidence ≠ no event.

Albeit you did say 'certain events.'

But you weren't willing to put the creation events into that category.

In short, I put the creation events in the same category as Jesus' footprints on the Sea of Galilee as far as evidence is concerned.
Bad logic on your part. I should have added a qualifier, perhaps I did. And yes, your interpretation of the Bible fits into that category. When you claim that there were only two people a few thousand years in the past that event would have left evidence, if it occurred. When you say that Pangaea broke up a few thousand years ago, that event would have left evidence. Your claimed events would have left evidence.

The evidence is lacking or worse yet for you refutes your claims altogether. Absence of evidence can be evidence of absence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,566.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is rather impressive. The size of the Ark is amazing to see.
I definitely enjoyed it. Well, I have a deeper appreciation for it because I believe the Bible, and I know the living God, though.

Believe the Bible, or believe in yourself?
There is a huge difference.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,566.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, I don't think it is nice to mock. Now that said, I don't agree with the idea of a Creation Ministry. That is an oxymoron. Our ministry is Jesus Christ. We preach Jesus and not the creation. But I do not disagree with his view that the Earth is young. But the Earth being young is really not that important to know. It is more important to know Jesus and to walk with Him and to love others. Our ministry is not to destroy the false teaching of Evolution (Although I am sure we can do so on occasion). Our ministry and focus is to preach Jesus. Granted, that said, the Ark encounter is really impressive. It is supposed to be built to scale of how it was in the Bible. To think of the Ark is to think about the global flood that hit this Earth. This really makes you think about how God hates sin. He destroyed a whole world because man was really wicked at that time.

The times will get wicked again like that, too. For the Bible says as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be at the coming of the Son of Man.

To appreciate a god would not be to say he did things that
never happened.
There is an epiphany lurking there, for those who pursue the truth
wherever it may lead

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟261,132.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have to know the Creator of the Universe in order to see that Evolution is false.
It takes faith.
Aw what a fail. in your previous post you used the word "to know". Acquire knowledge, which happens through rational study, evidence and arguments.
Faith is the opposite of all that. But worse, your answer is the ultimate fail of evangelism; if i need faith before i can know this creator, than conversion is useless.

Faith in God's Word (the Holy Bible). For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
The bible is a book. Books are usually read. With eyes. Hearing is done with ears. Ears are rather useless when dealing with books.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟261,132.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Would you rather the kids go to Disneyland whereby the promote witchcraft and other sins?
Yes.
There is no witchcraft and there is no sin. So Disneyland isn't promoting anything. Going to Disneyland may be a waste of time and money, but harmless in the end.
Ken Ham on the other hand spreads a toxic and damaging message, that the scientific community is a vast antichristian conspiracy . That studying science is a bad thing .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Ark Encounter is a Christian themed amusement park, built in part to teach Ken Ham's version of Creationism. The park features a giant model of Noah's Ark, built to the measurements found in the Bible's Old Testament.

The project was spearheaded by Evangelical preacher, Ken Ham. He is a Young Earth Creationist famous for his debate with Bill Nye. He directs a ministry called Answers in Genesis, and he directs the Creation Museum.

In this video (the first of several) I [John Perry] share what I witnessed at the Ark Encounter, I introduce viewers what what I call "Hammonism" (Ken Ham's special version of Christianity), and I talk about some of the scientific claims made by Ken Ham at the Ark Encounter.​

View attachment 297345
Giant tax dodge/public funding grift.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,566.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Aw what a fail. in your previous post you used the word "to know". Acquire knowledge, which happens through rational study, evidence and arguments.
Faith is the opposite of all that. But worse, your answer is the ultimate fail of evangelism; if i need faith before i can know this creator, than conversion is useless.

The bible is a book. Books are usually read. With eyes. Hearing is done with ears. Ears are rather useless when dealing with books.

Faith gets Islam And LDS too.

If faith got answers to research questions, like
"Is the flood story literal" then it ought to get
cancer cures too.

Faith gets every shade of truth from "metaphor",
a "spiritual lesson", to local flood, to ravines like
"Hydroplate theory", and the whole
world underwater.

Research led to some cancer cures, and, to the
conclusion that there was no flood.

Misplaced faith (consisting mainly of
faith in self, as having True access to
Truth straight from God) leads to
kids dying because of religious faith
in miracle cures.
As well as insulting such God as there may be
by insisting he did things that never happened.

Faith is good. But misplaced faith is a danger.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0