Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm working on a sermon and it sort of relates to this topic in a way so it got me wondering...

1. What are the most common hypotheticals/arguments against Christianity

2. What are some hypotheticals/arguments that you have heard or read yourself?

3. If you're an atheist or agnostic then what are some you use or believe in that cause you to not be convinced of the Christian God.

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I'm working on a sermon and it sort of relates to this topic in a way so it got me wondering...

3. If you're an atheist or agnostic then what are some you use or believe in that cause you to not be convinced of the Christian God.

Actually, Im an atheist and really dont care of evidence for or against god's existence. I was never introduced to god as a child. No one explained to me what a god is as an adult.

So, what I would focus more on is explaining who the father is before explaining christ. What is a god? Who is a god? What is a spirit? Identify connections between god/father and what every single person on this earth knows of reality in every other religion or worldview other than christianity, judaism, and islam.

I usually ask christians, mostly christians who are not trinitarians what is a god. With a trinitarian, I ask the same but I tell them I know christ spirit but not his father. So, explain his father.

As for evidence, the only evidence I hear atheist online ask worth answering is explain what and who god is apart from the bible. If god is real, he does not need a bible for one to have a full relationship with him. So, its more objective if you can relate the person you want them to know exist with the reality around them since the bible is not a validity of proof for all people only christians.

Hypothetical aguments against christianity.

Physical proof for a spiritual god.

Wanting physical evidence for a belief based on biblical and christian testimony.

Big points: focus on proof outside the bible. Dont be bias on who is right and wrong just what you and your community personally believe and respectful ways to disagree with the arguments you are making from "some" atheist.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Had a high school teacher make these statements to junior high kids in class about a book they read with Christian overtones...
"How do we know if God is a man or a woman?", " How do we know God isn't black?", and "The bible was written along time ago and has been changed so many times".

I have a middle aged daughter. Her argument is why should I believe in a God that demands I only love him.

Another big one I hear is, why does God allow so many tragedies and "good" people to die.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, Im an atheist and really dont care of evidence for or against god's existence. I was never introduced to god as a child. No one explained to me what a god is as an adult.

So, what I would focus more on is explaining who the father is before explaining christ. What is a god? Who is a god? What is a spirit? Identify connections between god/father and what every single person on this earth knows of reality in every other religion or worldview other than christianity, judaism, and islam.

I usually ask christians, mostly christians who are not trinitarians what is a god. With a trinitarian, I ask the same but I tell them I know christ spirit but not his father. So, explain his father.

As for evidence, the only evidence I hear atheist online ask worth answering is explain what and who god is apart from the bible. If god is real, he does not need a bible for one to have a full relationship with him. So, its more objective if you can relate the person you want them to know exist with the reality around them since the bible is not a validity of proof for all people only christians.

Wanting physical evidence for a belief based on biblical and christian testimony.

Big points: focus on proof outside the bible. Dont be bias on who is right and wrong just what you and your community personally believe and respectful ways to disagree with the arguments you are making from "some" atheist.
I appreciate this reply it helped a lot good insight.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Had a high school teacher make these statements to junior high kids in class about a book they read with Christian overtones...
"How do we know if God is a man or a woman?", " How do we know God isn't black?", and "The bible was written along time ago and has been changed so many times".

I have a middle aged daughter. Her argument is why should I believe in a God that demands I only love him.

Another big one I hear is, why does God allow so many tragedies and "good" people to die.

I hear the one on the bottom a lot, the one your daughter made I can't say i've ever heard it before though. Like it kind of blew my mind a bit when I read it usually I find atheist often would rather have an all loving God and often get mad about the stuff he did in the OT. Usually they lean towards the love stuff.

I appreciate the reply.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why doesn't God show himself.

For instance, appear in the sky and do something miraculous to get our attention and settle that part of it once and for all, or something to that affect.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why doesn't God show himself.

For instance, appear in the sky and do something miraculous to get our attention and settle that part of it once and for all, or something to that affect.
this is one of the biggest ones i hear also tbh.

also was gonna say I about a year ago started looking into history and proof outside the bible as well you're right it's a good thing to do. Helps you more in a nice civil discussion also. But yeah again appreciate the insight.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband was an atheist. He used to say that God/religion was the cause of most all wars down through the ages. He was convinced that God was just a fable to justify killing innocent people. He was adamant and passionate on his stand.

I had no words that could change his mind, so would not even discuss the matter. I would just tell him to read the Bible and then we might be able to talk. (He had never read the Bible.)

(While he was sleeping in bed at night, I used to lay my hands on him and pray, asking God to reveal Himself to my husband in a way that there would be no mistaking it was HIM. It came to pass, my husband had a near death experience and had the most profound encounter with God and Jesus Christ. He has a hard time to put it into words that he just weeps as he tells about being in the most peaceful place he describes as "enveloped in love" and how he knew beyond a shadow of doubt it was God. Christ spoke to him, telling him he was going to be okay. He was left with the knowledge of knowing that he was forgiven.)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My husband was an atheist. He used to say that God/religion was the cause of most all wars down through the ages. He was convinced that God was just a fable to justify killing innocent people. He was adamant and passionate on his stand.

I had no words that could change his mind, so would not even discuss the matter. I would just tell him to read the Bible and then we might be able to talk. (He had never read the Bible.)

(While he was sleeping in bed at night, I used to lay my hands on him and pray, asking God to reveal Himself to my husband in a way that there would be no mistaking it was HIM. It came to pass, my husband had a near death experience and had the most profound encounter with God and Jesus Christ. He has a hard time to put it into words that he just weeps as he tells about being in the most peaceful place he describes as "enveloped in love" and how he knew beyond a shadow of doubt it was God. Christ spoke to him, telling him he was going to be okay. He was left with the knowledge of knowing that he was forgiven.)
wow what a experience I'm glad God was able to reveal himself to him amazing.

It's always such a wonder like how God works in numerous ways to reach people through believers. I'm glad you shared this.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I'm being a bit pedantic but...unless you’re looking for arguments in opposition to the Christian religion (i.e. Christianity) I suspect you really mean ‘arguments against the Christian God’.

Write down all the reasons why you don’t accept that the Hindu god Vishnu exists. It will probably boil down to a lack of evidence. The same is generally true of atheists and the Christian God. There are a lot of gods you don’t believe in. I (and other atheists) just don’t believe in one more.

If you’re looking for an argument disputing the existence of your particular God then there is one that doesn’t get much air time since it can be a little difficult to wrap your mind around - but I’ll give it a try:

The Christian god is usually described as being all powerful and all knowing. It would generally be agreed by Christians that this God is perfect and has no needs or wants.

If an entity wants for nothing there is no reason for it to create something. Logically such a self-sufficient entity would do nothing apart from simply existing. Even further, this same perfect entity would not require worship (or even respect), wouldn’t get angry and wouldn’t treat the world as its own personal version of Sim City. A perfect god would not need or want anything. Logically a perfect God would simply exist and would never actually do anything.

Attributing human characteristics (the urge to create, emotions etc.) to a god is simply a form of anthropomorphism.

Man has created God in his own likeness.

OB

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm being a bit pedantic but...unless you’re looking for arguments in opposition to the Christian religion (i.e. Christianity) I suspect you really mean ‘arguments against the Christian God’.

Write down all the reasons why you don’t accept that the Hindu god Vishnu exists. It will probably boil down to a lack of evidence. The same is generally true of atheists and the Christian God. There are a lot of gods you don’t believe in. I (and other atheists) just don’t believe in one more.

If you’re looking for an argument disputing the existence of your particular God then there is one that doesn’t get much air time since it can be a little difficult to wrap your mind around - but I’ll give it a try:

The Christian god is usually described as being all powerful and all knowing. It would generally be agreed by Christians that this God is perfect and has no needs or wants.

If an entity wants for nothing there is no reason for it to create something. Logically such a self-sufficient entity would do nothing apart from simply existing. Even further, this same perfect entity would not require worship (or even respect), wouldn’t get angry and wouldn’t treat the world as its own personal version of Sim City. A perfect god would not need or want anything. Logically a perfect God would simply exist and would never actually do anything.

Attributing human characteristics (the urge to create, emotions etc.) to a god is simply a form of anthropomorphism.

Man has created God in his own likeness.

OB
Everyone else understood I was referencing the Christian God... I’m not sure why you made this difficult. Appreciate the argument you provided though

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

"Why would an (allegedly) infallible deity use fallible methods to communicate with its creation?" is my favorite argument.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Why would an (allegedly) infallible deity use fallible methods to communicate with its creation?" is my favorite argument.
interesting one can't say i've heard it. I have a few responses in my head though as I read it but still it would for sure catch some off guard cause it's unique.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Learning about the origins and changes to Judaism and Christianity has reassured me that Christianity isn't true. There is no evidence that God was revealing great truths to characters like Moses and Jesus. It looks more like people have been making it up as they go.

EDIT: Of course that is just my opinion. Lots of smart Christians don't see a problem in the historical record.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Learning about the origins and changes to Judaism and Christianity has reassured me that Christianity isn't true. There is no evidence that God was revealing great truths to characters like Moses and Jesus. It looks more like people have been making it up as they go.

EDIT: Of course that is just my opinion. Lots of smart Christians don't see a problem in the historical record.
Interesting outlook I appreciate the reply

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Often the way Christianity is formulated leaves people thinking that the religion has fabricated a problem (sin) and then conveniently provides a solution to it. If you don't believe in sin, the whole thing falls apart.

The doctine of hell also causes a lot of people problems. Why would an all-loving God knowingly create people who would reject him?

And Trinitarianism generally makes no sense to people. Is this monotheism or polytheism?

Write down all the reasons why you don’t accept that the Hindu god Vishnu exists. It will probably boil down to a lack of evidence.

I would hope not, actually. A theist should be open to the idea that any religious tradition could have the most appropriate picture of God, and Hinduism is really one of the strongest contenders there is. If you're going to reject it, it should be on historical or philosophical grounds.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Often the way Christianity is formulated leaves people thinking that the religion has fabricated a problem (sin) and then conveniently provides a solution to it. If you don't believe in sin, the whole thing falls apart.

The doctine of hell also causes a lot of people problems. Why would an all-loving God knowingly create people who would reject him?

These two in particular are arguments I would make.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And Trinitarianism generally makes no sense to people. Is this monotheism or polytheism?

I would hope not, actually. A theist should be open to the idea that any religious tradition could have the most appropriate picture of God, and Hinduism is really one of the strongest contenders there is. If you're going to reject it, it should be on historical or philosophical grounds.

I can agree with that i'm not a trinitarian myself and I find when I talk with people who present the ideoligy to me or explain it or whatever each person presents it differently there's no consistency.

In fact some believe differently some believe JESUS is God and some don't.

Also I agree the problem with people who present God as all loving, and not as all loving and Holy is that if he's just all loving and nothing else hard to defend the notion of a hell.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christianity stands or falls on the Incarnation, so an argument asking on how God as a transcendant or immanent being could incarnate in a finite human.

The problem with arguments based on Sin being invented, is that an innate right or wrong gets assumed and is traditional in most societies. There are everywhere concepts of purity, sacred vs profane, and what is seen as the divinely instituted order. So Sin as the power behind the throne of human morality being invented is a weak contra-Christian argument in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Personally, I simply find that the Bible does just as poor a job at describing reality and our place within it as any other collection of mythology. The Upanishads, the Edda, Aztec myth, traditional Chinese folklore - it's all the same, and the only thing separating the TRUTH (tm) from rank superstition is the confirmation bias of the person who embraces one faith over the other, laughing at the notion that some "primitives" hang brushes into the tree to appease certain ancestor spirits while simultaneously thinking nothing about comsuming the transsubstantiated blood and flesh of their deity every Sunday.

Apart from that, I also think that apologetics fail to satisfyingly resolve the theodicy problem, i.e. the existence of suffering and evil in a universe that was/is planned, created, and maintained by a
a) benevolent,
b) omnipotent,
c) all-knowing, and
d) supernatural interventionist
deity.

You cannot combine all of these traits and then end up with the reality we live in. Not when Christians even go around using prayers as a witnessing tool by claiming that God answers their wishes, even frivolous ones like finding a parking spot or a lost key.

Upvote 0