Arguments for and against masturbation

Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"I would say anything that is master over you is an addiction"

I would like to be a "master" over my physical body but unfortunately I can't be. I still have to eat, drink, exercise, breath and crap, and I'm absolutely powerless to stop it.

All of those things feel good to do, and apparently all pleasure apparently takes away from serving God. By the definitions of some, all those things are "addictions" since, unfortunately, can't master my flesh.

I would like think people would be able to recognize the arbitrary connection that is being made between all these things and a real addiction that stems from a moral deficiency.

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"I would say anything that is master over you is an addiction"

I would like to be a "master" over my physical body but unfortunately I can't be. I still have to eat, drink, exercise, breath and crap, and I'm absolutely powerless to stop it.

All of those things feel good to do, and apparently all pleasure apparently takes away from serving God. By the definitions of some, all those things are "addictions" since, unfortunately, can't master my flesh.

I would like think people would be able to recognize the arbitrary connection that is being made between all these things and a real addiction that stems from a moral deficiency.

the only problem with your arguement is your failure to see that you won't die if you stop masturbating

you die if you stop doing all the others Breathing eating crapping etc....

thats not even rational thinking, but what it does show is what a strong hold masturbation has on you, as it has gained such an unbelievable high place in the agenda of what keeps you alive. ......oxygen....food....fulfulling lustful desires with masturbation

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
the only problem with your arguement is your failure to see that you won't die if you stop masturbating

thats not even rational thinking, but what it does show is what a strong hold masturbation has on you, as it has gained such an unbelievable high place in the agenda of what keeps you alive. ......oxygen....food....fulfulling lustful desires with masturbation

lustful desires?

It is either lust or desire. The root form of desire means "of the father". Desire isn't sin. Once it becomes lust it is sin of the mind. If you are going to speak of "lust of the flesh" as Paul did, then don't redefine it. Desires of the body are what we are born with.

Upvote 0

Apple Harvester

Goddess Gaia Awakened, and the Almighty is with me
Nov 13, 2012
✟354.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my lacking the in-depth knowledge that everyone else seems to have here, I find much of what was written above confusing in some aspects.

Maybe I have a more Earthly view of what is ok and what is not based on what I have learned through life and my path and what I have been 'told' through prayer and meditation...

God gave you a vessel for which to carry His work and word. Also for which to please your spouse, should you choose to find one. It is up to you to take care of that vessel to ensure the safety and continued aforementioned. He gave you 'buttons' for lack of a better term. Those 'buttons' allow you to feel pleasure and enjoy the relations between you and your spouse. The more you explore what makes things pleasurable, I believe the better your relationship and intimacy is. Some people figure this stuff out with their spouse. Others may need to figure it out on their own.

Not to mention that an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] releases endorphins, creating chemical reactions within the body that promote other positive things within the body, including helping with depression-related issues.

I guess my point is, why would it be a bad thing to explore your own vessel in ways that do not harm anyone else? You have not touched anyone else, nor engaged in pre-marital sex or committed a crime.

Is it really so terrible to even practice something that which comes naturally in most cases when with your spouse? Knowing what you like and don't like helps your partner ensure your equal pleasures are reached (provided he/she is attentive like that). I believe intimacy is strengthened when each partner is confident in their knowledge and desires and can communicate them effectively. Many couples have marital problems that start with their intimacy being complacent--divorces often start this way, even if not recognized at first. I know my first marriage ended partly because of this--I wish I had recognized it sooner. If your relationship needs spicing up in the bedroom, what is so wrong about finding new 'hot buttons' on your own and then engaging in them with your partner?

The only time I see it becoming a problem is if it starts taking the place of holding your energies for your spouse to release rather than helping enhance intimacy. It should be up to individuals to know how to recognize that point of going too far.

Then again... this is just my opinion. Just what I have learned over time, at least with my life experiences.

Wow, that has helped me a lot with my issues. If your not working, you can be a good marriage therapist.

I've been having those thoughts of fornication, and making right decision of God's service. But God wants us to have children. To help God's love, and His work. If we are afraid of sex, and pleasure of sex, or what not. How are we to have kids?

I made a mistake of having sex before marriage. But I've been with the same guy still. I fell in love of being an aunt of my man's nephews. It broke my heart when he decided to make bad decisions in our relationship. That made it hard to continue. But in our hearts we were married.

As we tried to live our separate ways. God has renewed my feelings for my ex-boyfriend. God tugged on my heart so strong. I had to run back to my man. For many reasons.

I have sinned, but God is very forgiving. God has used many people in the Bible who were not perfect themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
lustful desires?

It is either lust or desire. The root form of desire means "of the father". Desire isn't sin. Once it becomes lust it is sin of the mind. If you are going to speak of "lust of the flesh" as Paul did, then don't redefine it. Desires of the body are what we are born with.

either way your in bondage and lost

Upvote 0

Apple Harvester

Goddess Gaia Awakened, and the Almighty is with me
Nov 13, 2012
✟354.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
either way your in bondage and lost

Warning!! Your going to far with this legalism. I suggest to behave now.

<< 2 Corinthians 3 >>
New International Version 1984
1Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? 2You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. 3You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

4Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. 5Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 6He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant&#8212;not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

The Glory of the New Covenant

7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflecta the Lord&#8217;s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

<< 2 Corinthians 4 >>
New International Version 1984
Treasures in Jars of Clay

1Therefore, since through God&#8217;s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man&#8217;s conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus&#8217; sake. 6For God, who said, &#8220;Let light shine out of darkness,&#8221;a made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus&#8217; sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. 12So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

13It is written: &#8220;I believed; therefore I have spoken.&#8221;b With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, 14because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in his presence. 15All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

The only way you are in bondage if your trapped in legalism. If a person is trapped in rules in the Bible, is trapped in legalism, and rules. Becareful, trying to do God's will of judgement to others. Can cause death, to the accuser. The Law brings death. But the Grace and God's love and mercy is the heart of the Law. And saves man from death.

If you read Romans in the Bible. It explains more about Law and Sin.

Righteousness Through Faith

Romans 3

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,i through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished&#8212; 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

In this here. explains more about the Law and Faith. I suggest to becareful of using the law to bully others, or to boast on your winnings. God's wraith will be upon you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

Caesars Ghost

:doh:I've lurked at a number of Christian forums before deciding to join this my first one.
However, in recalling all those sites I perused every single one had a thread about masturbation.

What is sought here? Does one think there's a scripture that proclaims something like, thou shalt [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] by one's own hand and the angels shall sing, amen! ?

Or does one think they need consensus in order to stroke on?
Give me a break.

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
:doh:I've lurked at a number of Christian forums before deciding to join this my first one.
However, in recalling all those sites I perused every single one had a thread about masturbation.

What is sought here? Does one think there's a scripture that proclaims something like, thou shalt [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] by one's own hand and the angels shall sing, amen! ?

Give me a break.

HA! Exactly right! Very true, the discussion is kind of pointness on this topic. I mean really...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lnname

Nov 22, 2012
✟7,703.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Give me a break.

I started this because I wanted to be free of sexual sins in my life. I've thought for long time that masturbation wasn't a sin, but like most christians I've never mentioned it at church.

As a result, before this forum I had no idea whether there were any solid arguments against my position, and if there were I wanted to engage with them. I don't think it matters which side persuades me, so long as I learn the truth. I can't walk away from debate in an area of this level of importance in my life without first trying to find truth, because anything less than truth wouldn't be enough.

Upvote 0
C

Caesars Ghost

I started this because I wanted to be free of sexual sins in my life. I've thought for long time that masturbation wasn't a sin, but like most christians I've never mentioned it at church.

As a result, before this forum I had no idea whether there were any solid arguments against my position, and if there were I wanted to engage with them. I don't think it matters which side persuades me, so long as I learn the truth. I can't walk away from debate in an area of this level of importance in my life without first trying to find truth, because anything less than truth wouldn't be enough.
The way I see it, it's the height of hubris and self-absorption to envision a creator of quasars and galaxies beyond our sight who then focuses all his attention on our behaviors, so that we who are lesser beings by his will somehow arrive at a point where he in his omniscience is pleased with how we're acting using all that he gave us to work with.

God gave me a libido. He shouldn't be surprised when I honor that.
I've had better experience with myself than with the men he's created for me to meet and date. :holy: Just sayin.

Upvote 0

HCrossth2012

Jan 11, 2012
✟16,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol I gave into temptation and couldnt resist the urge to write a pun, given such a worthy topic.

Peace

Would Christ make jokes of someone's Sin? Or struggles? Not the Christ I know.
This is why Its hard to believe christians, from same mouth they praise and same mouth say things like this. :(

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

Caesars Ghost

Peace

This is why Its hard to believe christians, from same mouth they praise and same mouth say things like this. :(

God bless
I recall Jesus when he challenged the men who were intent on stoning the Magdalene. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Don't worry about the splinter in another posters eye when you should concern yourself with the potential log that can be found in your own.

Proverbs 26:18-19 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, &#8220;I am only joking!&#8221;

Upvote 0

2ducklow

angel duck
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,570.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
it's better to not touch but if you can't contain yourself, then it's better to touch than not touch.

1 Corinthians 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

also it's better to touch than it is to burn. all us guys know what that means.

Upvote 0

HCrossth2012

Jan 11, 2012
✟16,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall Jesus when he challenged the men who were intent on stoning the Magdalene. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Don't worry about the splinter in another posters eye when you should concern yourself with the potential log that can be found in your own.

Proverbs 26:18-19 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I am only joking!”

Peace

If I have log, you must be fully blind. Because you totally missed my point, as usual word games with christians.. that seem to be the only thing they are interested in Jesus, not interested, just to out smart another person with their " own" knowledge...I will be the fool for Christ then............

God bless you

Peace

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

you're so right, that is exactly what I was saying :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peace

God bless
I pray the lord today judges me more kindly than you did.

Upvote 0