Are your grocery stores finally playing 80s and 90s music? Mine is!

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been going to the same grocery store since 2016. When I first went, it was always 1960s and 1970s music, Boomer oldies that came out well before I was born. I finally started hearing occasional 1980s stuff about a couple of years ago -- Taco, Human League, Pebbles, Whitney Houston's 80s stuff. I thought that was as far as they'd ever go.

But whoa, the last several times I've gone, it's been all early 1990s GRUNGE, RAP and R&B! I've heard Pearl Jam, Arrested Development, Skee-Lo...then I realized it's been 30 years since that kind of music was big. I remember in the late 1990s when I started listening to oldies stations as a youngster, they played music up until about 1973. It's now been longer since 1990s grunge and rap came out, then the early 1970s "oldies" I heard when I was a teenager in the late 1990s.

So wow. Yeah, it's probably about time 1990s music 'oldies' are played at grocery stations now :)

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I heard that "I am barely breathing" song at the grocery store the other day:

I've also heard Goo Goo Dolls and some other 90s alternative stuff at the grocery store, and once in the waiting room at the doctor's. I think this sort of thing is much more common than you or I probably realize. I know in my area they've played 80s music for quite a long time now. Especially now that that terrible Kate Bush song (sorry; never liked that one!) is popular again thanks to Stranger Things.

Reactions: kdm1984
Upvote 0