Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't going to answer this originally, but after reading your later posts, I figured "why not?"

Reality exists. Facts exist. Truth exists.

If one wants to make good choices, good decisions, whatever kind of decisions we're talking about...and regardless of what "good" means to a person...one has to access reality, facts, truth and be able to understand it/think about it correctly. By correctly, I mean the most accurate understanding of reality they can possibly achieve.

So whether we're talking about a choice like, "which college program will most likely lead me to a successful/fulfilling career?"....or "is this person I'm dating being honest with me?"....or "what should I do about this lump on my skin?"...all of these things require us to access a particular set of facts...and understand them correctly if we are to make "good" choices for ourselves.

Pretty easy to follow my thinking so far? Nothing too controversial in the statements above, right? Well...

Imagine now that we are viewing reality through a lens that distorts all the facts. Imagine if we were given a false method for understanding reality that offered easy false answers to difficult questions that we accepted for all kinds of stupid reasons. Maybe it simplifies the process for us...telling us what and how to do things without any real concern for reality. Maybe it appeals to us emotionally, offering comforting lies to dull the difficulty of harsh truths. Regardless of the ways it distorts reality, the end result is the same...it impairs our ability to make good choices. While this may not sound too bad for one person....if we imagine all of humanity going around with this distorted view of reality, the results are disastrous.

Maybe instead of heavily analyzing which college program to major in...we decide that we'll just pray for god to imbue us with a sense of direction. Maybe instead of figuring out how to talk with the person we're dating so we can understand if they're being honest, we pray for god to "change" them into the person we want them to be...or we talk with our priest who has no idea what is going on in the relationship and trust implicitly in his answers. Maybe instead of going to doctors until they figure out what the lump is...we just pray to god that it isn't cancer and hope that he removes it.

Religion, in my opinion, is a horrible distortion of reality that damages all who follow it.

I guess I still fail to see how non-theist people don't fall into delusional thinking all the time. Also seems like you just want to focus on the negative aspects of delusional thinking, and not the positives. Such as an unsupported sense of confidence. Not to mention a lot of times when they think "God" is saying something it's just a substitute for their own thoughts and intuitions. I don't think people even most religious people just walk around as blindly as you're implying. God is often just something they use to get along with life, and from my experience it's helped people get further ahead in life.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think a lot of it has to do with IQ and good mental health. In the past it probably took more of an education and a higher intelligence to be among the godless ranks. So many could point to the population of atheists and admire how rational and intelligent they were. As the population of atheists increase the overall "good quality stock" goes down. And such a population starts to inherent more and more dysfunctional problems. Especially when you talk about a world largely without theists. I don't see it being "better". The problems religious people exhibit run much deeper than their faith.

A world of atheists isn't going to be a world where people like Christopher Hitchens are the norm. lol.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I still fail to see how non-theist people don't fall into delusional thinking all the time.

They do...all sorts of things can distort one's view of reality...sometimes deliberately.

There's a pretty big difference between that and persistent distortion which one clings to their entire life.

Also seems like you just want to focus on the negative aspects of delusional thinking, and not the positives. Such as an unsupported sense of confidence.

Is that a positive? I suppose it can be, in certain situations...in others though it's certainly going to cause all sorts of problems.

Not to mention a lot of times when they think "God" is saying something it's just a substitute for their own thoughts and intuitions.

Sure, but do you think it's a good thing to externalize those things? If they lead you to a good choice, shouldn't you give yourself the credit for doing things right instead of giving it to god? If they lead you to bad choices...well people seem to blame those on themselves regardless. God can do no wrong..., so when things go right it's because of his glory! Praise him! When things go wrong...it's your fault because you're fallen/sinner/worldly/etc. Perhaps if people didn't have this distorted view to begin with, they wouldn't need that false confidence would they?

I don't think people even most religious people just walk around as blindly as you're implying. God is often just something they use to get along with life, and from my experience it's helped people get further ahead in life.

Again, that's part of the distortion...when you mess up its because you're a fallen sinner...but when things go right, it's all because of god! Wonderful how he gets all the credit in that personal relationship, isn't it?

You're right though...most of the time, most people go through the same metal processes throughout their day. The thing is, it's when things get difficult and people should be working their hardest to find the truth...to see reality for what it is...it's those times that they fall back on this lazy method of looking for answers. It's as if it shows up at the worst possible times...

1. Life gets difficult, person doesn't know what to do, answers are hard to accept or unclear.
2. Person recognizes difficulty...seeks answers that are easy/emotionally satisfying/require no effort (god has a plan for you/it's satan's fault/pray about it)
3. Person succeeds (or thinks they do) praises god! Or...
A. Person fails, blames self or others (my husband isn't godly enough!) repeats process at step 2 looking for a different answer.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They do...all sorts of things can distort one's view of reality...sometimes deliberately.

There's a pretty big difference between that and persistent distortion which one clings to their entire life.

I don't see how the secular mind can't face similar persistent distortions about life. I know I have.

Is that a positive? I suppose it can be, in certain situations...in others though it's certainly going to cause all sorts of problems.

Depends on how much of a theist caricature they are.. I guess.. lol.

Sure, but do you think it's a good thing to externalize those things? If they lead you to a good choice, shouldn't you give yourself the credit for doing things right instead of giving it to god? If they lead you to bad choices...well people seem to blame those on themselves regardless. God can do no wrong...,

I don't think most theists are that simple. For many answers I'd say its a combination of both.

so when things go right it's because of his glory! Praise him! When things go wrong...it's your fault because you're fallen/sinner/worldly/etc. Perhaps if people didn't have this distorted view to begin with, they wouldn't need that false confidence would they?

A more honest analyzation of themselves and their life is always sure to fill people with confidence. Lol.

Again, that's part of the distortion...when you mess up its because you're a fallen sinner...but when things go right, it's all because of god! Wonderful how he gets all the credit in that personal relationship, isn't it?

Being a Christian myself and knowing other Christians things were never that simple.

You're right though...most of the time, most people go through the same metal processes throughout their day. The thing is, it's when things get difficult and people should be working their hardest to find the truth...to see reality for what it is...it's those times that they fall back on this lazy method of looking for answers. It's as if it shows up at the worst possible times...

Which I'd call a common universal human fault.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how the secular mind can't face similar persistent distortions about life. I know I have.

True, anyone can be wrong or have delusions about how reality works.

Religion takes it to another level though to attribute the ideas to the unquestionable Gods.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True, anyone can be wrong or have delusions about how reality works.

Religion takes it to another level though to attribute the ideas to the unquestionable Gods.

Even though a lot of religious people often question their Gods anyways.. or at least interpret his objective authority in a new way.. lol.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure what those would be...but let's say that's the case, would you be better off having more delusions impairing your view of reality or less?

Depends on how much of a theist caricature they are.. I guess.. lol.

Let's say you're trying to do a complicated task that requires specific knowledge...knowledge you don't have. A man brimming with confidence doesn't even understand that he needs that specific knowledge...he's confident he can complete the task. A person without this delusion immediately understands they lack the specific knowledge...and seeks it out before attempting the task.

I don't think it requires a caricature...it happens all the time.

I don't think most theists are that simple. For many answers I'd say its a combination of both.

I'm sure there are varying degrees...but it's something I've seen a lot on here and in real life.

A more honest analyzation of themselves and their life is always sure to fill people with confidence. Lol.

Accurate self analysis is extremely difficult to do...there's a lot of biases floating around in there. Let's suppose that you manage it however...and you've got a good understanding of your strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and limitations. If you're not confident in these things, perhaps you need to develop your weaknesses more so they aren't weaknesses. If that's not possible, then perhaps you can develop other strengths to overcome those weaknesses. If neither is possible...perhaps it's time to lower your expectations on life.

Regardless, I don't see how lying to yourself as an emotional crutch will help anything...
it doesn't help you confront problems or weaknesses, it just kicks them a little bit down the road.

Being a Christian myself and knowing other Christians things were never that simple.

So you claim.

Which I'd call a common universal human fault.

It's not like that for all of us.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what those would be...but let's say that's the case, would you be better off having more delusions impairing your view of reality or less?

That really depends on a lot of factors. Also how much less delusions will a theist have compared atheist realistically? I don't have much confidence in a petty number game.. especially when the differences might not add up to a whole lot.

Let's say you're trying to do a complicated task that requires specific knowledge...knowledge you don't have. A man brimming with confidence doesn't even understand that he needs that specific knowledge...he's confident he can complete the task. A person without this delusion immediately understands they lack the specific knowledge...and seeks it out before attempting the task.

Assuming the confident man doesn't still have some concern for the knowledge I can see how that cannot be a benefit. Like you said before it depends on the situation. I think over time the highly confident man/woman would learn to modify their behavior where this would be less and less of a fault though. Even while still maintaining high confidence.

I don't think it requires a caricature...it happens all the time.

I'm talking about a caricature in relation to the idea of the more rational non-theist.

I'm sure there are varying degrees...but it's something I've seen a lot on here and in real life.

I don't think the average human ego can support that to any real great extent.

Accurate self analysis is extremely difficult to do...there's a lot of biases floating around in there. Let's suppose that you manage it however...and you've got a good understanding of your strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and limitations. If you're not confident in these things, perhaps you need to develop your weaknesses more so they aren't weaknesses. If that's not possible, then perhaps you can develop other strengths to overcome those weaknesses. If neither is possible...perhaps it's time to lower your expectations on life.

Going through life I'd rather have a higher confidence where one is more apt to open more doors, and while he/she might be met with more failures I think it would benefit them in the long run.

Regardless, I don't see how lying to yourself as an emotional crutch will help anything...
it doesn't help you confront problems or weaknesses, it just kicks them a little bit down the road.

Can help people keep up hope in otherwise pretty bad situations. Sometimes I think it's better not to be realistic about things. That's one thing I've had to learn being an atheist.

So you claim.

Again, you don't think people have egos? Lol.

It's not like that for all of us.

Of course, it's also not like that in many theist circles.

It's the crux of my position here.. atheist and theist populations in the long run are not really any better or worse than each other.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That really depends on a lot of factors. Also how much less delusions will a theist have compared atheist realistically?

Realistically? Consider that everything in your religion is false...then consider how much of that has influenced your understanding of reality. If it's just a couple of things...then it's arguably negligible unless they're rather central to your life. If, however, your religion has affected so much of who you are that you cannot separate yourself from what you've been taught...then it's a rather massive difference.

Assuming the confident man doesn't still have some concern for the knowledge I can see how that cannot be a benefit. Like you said before it depends on the situation. I think over time the highly confident man/woman would learn to modify their behavior where this would be less and less of a fault though. Even while still maintaining high confidence.

When you said confidence, I assumed that you meant "trust in one's own abilities towards some end"...but reading this maybe you meant something else?

I'm talking about a caricature in relation to the idea of the more rational non-theist.

I think I misunderstood then.

I don't think the average human ego can support that to any real great extent.

What I think happens over time is such a person becomes more judgemental towards those less "holy" than themselves...effectively taking pride in how good they believe they are at following their religion. If they can't take pride in their accomplishments and feel they must give glory to god...then they tend to take pride in how they're a better "christian" (for example) than everyone else.

Going through life I'd rather have a higher confidence where one is more apt to open more doors, and while he/she might be met with more failures I think it would benefit them in the long run.

Maybe you could explain what you mean by confidence...and give an example....cuz I'm just not seeing it. You could have all the confidence in the world in your ability to perform brain surgery...unless you actually know how to perform brain surgery, you will fail. If you were to continue to remain confident...you'd just be ruining lives and doing damage.

Can help people keep up hope in otherwise pretty bad situations. Sometimes I think it's better not to be realistic about things. That's one thing I've had to learn being an atheist.

There are hard truths to accept...but I can't think of any I'd be better off not accepting. Can you give an example?

Again, you don't think people have egos? Lol.

Maybe you could elaborate?

Of course, it's also not like that in many theist circles.

It's the crux of my position here.. atheist and theist populations in the long run are not really any better or worse than each other.

I don't know of a theist who didn't fall upon that kind of thinking at least part of the time...if they didn't, they wouldn't be a theist.

Better or worse in what way? I'll accept that one can lead an extremely deluded life and possibly be quite happy...but my position was regarding how this affects humanity as a whole.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Realistically? Consider that everything in your religion is false...then consider how much of that has influenced your understanding of reality. If it's just a couple of things...then it's arguably negligible unless they're rather central to your life. If, however, your religion has affected so much of who you are that you cannot separate yourself from what you've been taught...then it's a rather massive difference.

Can you give some examples?

When you said confidence, I assumed that you meant "trust in one's own abilities towards some end"...but reading this maybe you meant something else?

No, that's pretty much what I mean by confidence.

What I think happens over time is such a person becomes more judgemental towards those less "holy" than themselves...effectively taking pride in how good they believe they are at following their religion. If they can't take pride in their accomplishments and feel they must give glory to god...then they tend to take pride in how they're a better "christian" (for example) than everyone else.

Oh that is a possible mindset. Although for many I do not think it would satisfy their egos enough. Although I don't see why most Christians wouldn't believe in a combination of both.

Maybe you could explain what you mean by confidence...and give an example....cuz I'm just not seeing it. You could have all the confidence in the world in your ability to perform brain surgery...unless you actually know how to perform brain surgery, you will fail. If you were to continue to remain confident...you'd just be ruining lives and doing damage.

Many of the more successful people became that way because they were willing to engage in many failures. I'd suspect the person with a higher overall sense of confidence has an edge to those who have a average or below average level of confidence.

There are hard truths to accept...but I can't think of any I'd be better off not accepting. Can you give an example?

The ones that have at times made me suicidal? The thought that people do not really have free will. That life can be brutal and there isn't some God out there that can magically make things alright. That I very well could find myself in a situation where there isn't any hope. And a million other things that go through my mind.

Maybe you could elaborate?

That most people are not selfless enough to give all credit to God when they accomplish something. Many Christians who do say things like that are probably just going through the motions because they think it's what they're supposed to do. Lol.

I don't know of a theist who didn't fall upon that kind of thinking at least part of the time...if they didn't, they wouldn't be a theist.

There are some pretty rational and skeptical theists out there. Of course the very act of being a theist (in my mind) they have to sometimes be irrational, but in the sense of how they are compared to many other atheists I do not really see a difference. Many are just good at compartmentalizing their belief in a God, yet act just as rational and irrational as pretty much anyone else during the course of their life.

Better or worse in what way? I'll accept that one can lead an extremely deluded life and possibly be quite happy...but my position was regarding how this affects humanity as a whole.

Being skeptical, having less delusions to a meaningful degree. And yeah, I'm talking about what effects humanity as a whole too. Not sure if you read my post #62 on here.. but it sums up a lot of my thoughts regarding this topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Even though a lot of religious people often question their Gods anyways.. or at least interpret his objective authority in a new way.. lol.

Sure, and I encourage that, but attribution of an idea to the divine creator of the universe, has an effect.

It's differn't than the usual ideas of people, who face skepticism over their ideas and have to back them up constantly.

Religious ideas are often in areas that basically can't be demonstrated one way or another, and the religious people themselves will be torn between acceptance and doubt on subjects they can't really know for certain, with a tendency to try to stick to what they are told is "The word of God".

Of course they are human too so they will weasel out by reinterpreting everything over and over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can you give some examples?

Sure...

So lost.

I think that's a good example...there's lots of others as well. I would take a look at the advice too...not just the OP.

Oh that is a possible mindset. Although for many I do not think it would satisfy their egos enough. Although I don't see why most Christians wouldn't believe in a combination of both.

I'm sure some do...whether they're in the majority or not, I don't know. I was really just using it as an example.

Many of the more successful people became that way because they were willing to engage in many failures. I'd suspect the person with a higher overall sense of confidence has an edge to those who have a average or below average level of confidence.

I think perhaps you're overlooking their ability to learn something from those failures. Confidence may help them try, but without a clear ability to understand reality, they would simply be repeating failures over and over (I'm sure you know people like this, everyone does).

The ones that have at times made me suicidal? The thought that people do not really have free will.

Free will and determinism are interesting concepts...but they only attempt to describe what is...they don't change it. Since neither could be proven...it's a bit of a non-issue for me. I don't want to keep repeating myself, so I'll just ask this once...why did these concepts make you feel suicidal? Was it because you believed so strongly otherwise?

That life can be brutal and there isn't some God out there that can magically make things alright.

I'd say that life is indifferent...but I can understand why it can look brutal. Again, I'd wonder if you'd even feel bad about this if you didn't first believe that there was a god who can magically make things alright.

That I very well could find myself in a situation where there isn't any hope.

That's a tough one...I think a lot of people never learn this lesson, or when they do, it's too late for them. It taught me that suicide isn't always the awful thing I believed it was. While that may not seem to have any advantages over the deluded person who believes in something else...I think I'm better prepared to handle a suicide of a close individual than I was before.

That most people are not selfless enough to give all credit to God when they accomplish something. Many Christians who do say things like that are probably just going through the motions because they think it's what they're supposed to do. Lol.

That's certainly possible...but I'd probably take someone's word on it unless they showed me reason to believe otherwise.

There are some pretty rational and skeptical theists out there. Of course the very act of being a theist (in my mind) they have to sometimes be irrational, but in the sense of how they are compared to many other atheists I do not really see a difference.

Yeah, in my opinion though...they are a tiny minority compared to the swooning masses that pretend to feint when their pastor gets "the holy spirit".

Being skeptical, having less delusions to a meaningful degree. And yeah, I'm talking about what effects humanity as a whole too. Not sure if you read my post #62 on here.. but it sums up a lot of my thoughts regarding this topic.

I did...and to be sure, I'm really only talking about atheists who aren't unbelievers for emotional reasons. The logical/rational type. While I get what you're saying...I think it's difficult to overestimate how much things would change without religion. In regards to intelligence...I think a lot more emphasis would be placed on public education, with a stronger emphasis on science and critical thinking, if for no other reason than to keep religion and superstition from creeping into the public mind again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure...

So lost.

I think that's a good example...there's lots of others as well. I would take a look at the advice too...not just the OP.

I guess I'm not really seeing how this example exclusively ties into religious thinking? Seems like problems that non-theists find themselves in often as well.

I think perhaps you're overlooking their ability to learn something from those failures. Confidence may help them try, but without a clear ability to understand reality, they would simply be repeating failures over and over (I'm sure you know people like this, everyone does).

If someone is that clueless, I'd say they have more psychological problems other than over confidence.

Free will and determinism are interesting concepts...but they only attempt to describe what is...they don't change it.

Yeah, I'm talking about the psychological effects of realizing one over the other.

Since neither could be proven...it's a bit of a non-issue for me.

There have been some interesting studies done on free will. One being an experiment where the brain seems to light up before a conscious decision is made. Even something as simple as raising your hand up in the air. Not to mention I do not think the concept of free will makes sense purely on a physics level.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, so I'll just ask this once...why did these concepts make you feel suicidal? Was it because you believed so strongly otherwise?

The idea that if people do not really choose their actions, things like compassion, love, etc lose their merit.

I'd say that life is indifferent...but I can understand why it can look brutal. Again, I'd wonder if you'd even feel bad about this if you didn't first believe that there was a god who can magically make things alright.

I don't see that being true for myself. I've always been one to look at reality to the best of my abilities no matter how foul and unsavory they may be. Part of the reason I lost my faith in the first place. Even under Christianity I had many morbid realizations that made many of my fellow Christian peers turned off to me, lol.

That's a tough one...I think a lot of people never learn this lesson, or when they do, it's too late for them. It taught me that suicide isn't always the awful thing I believed it was. While that may not seem to have any advantages over the deluded person who believes in something else...I think I'm better prepared to handle a suicide of a close individual than I was before.

Well I haven't thus far received such benefits being an atheist.

That's certainly possible...but I'd probably take someone's word on it unless they showed me reason to believe otherwise.

From my experience with people, there is often much more to them than the simple front they put on for the public. It was true for when I was a Christian and I noticed it being true for many of my Christian peers.

Yeah, in my opinion though...they are a tiny minority compared to the swooning masses that pretend to feint when their pastor gets "the holy spirit".

My observations is that most theists are mildly skeptical, like most atheists I meet.

Even the people who are more charismatic about their faith compartmentalize that, and are actually quite reasonable and rational people outside of it.

I did...and to be sure, I'm really only talking about atheists who aren't unbelievers for emotional reasons. The logical/rational type.

I'm not either. I assume the atheists who are atheists for emotional reasons are a tiny minority. I'm talking about those who simply lack a belief because of a lack of sufficient evidence.

While I get what you're saying...I think it's difficult to overestimate how much things would change without religion.

Yet from the atheist circles I've been around, I've seen a huge degrade from only a few years ago. Those who once spoke of the virtue of free speech and open questioning have become feminists and now say things like "freeze peach" to mock those who still value free speech. I've seen them try to police people's sexuality be demonizing men for admiring female beauty. Try to be controlling with various weasel social justice language. Have concepts of "sin" revolving around cut throat concepts of what constitutes a racist/sexist/ablelist/etc.

It's actually quite remarkable how SJWs mimic much of the toxic mindsets many unsavory religious people exhibit. One can't help but think, that those toxic mindsets are deeper than religion and quite human, and people will find ways to express them regardless of the environment they are in.

In regards to intelligence...I think a lot more emphasis would be placed on public education, with a stronger emphasis on science and critical thinking, if for no other reason than to keep religion and superstition from creeping into the public mind again.

I think many atheists like to think of themselves as champions of reason and education, yet in reality many are quite lukewarm like the vast majority of theists. And often fall into their own biases that they want to protect. Like my examples from above.

Upvote 0

Maile78

Jul 3, 2014
Alabama
✟8,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The vast majority of us godless folks don't really care what you believe. Only how you act.

Not to go off-topic, but it was Jesus who claimed non-believers were enemies, just because of non-belief:

"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters."

Matt 12:30
In this passage Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees who just accused him of casting out a demon in the name of Beelzebub. In the following verses He talks about all sins being forgiven. Jesus didn't really attack nonbelievers but He was really irritated by the religious leaders who made up their own rules in his name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 17, 2016
Somewhere or Another
✟10,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In this passage Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees who just accused him of casting out a demon in the name of Beelzebub. In the following verses He talks about all sins being forgiven. Jesus didn't really attack nonbelievers but He was really irritated by the religious leaders who made up their own rules in his name.

I think the interpretation of that verse that they're leaning toward is the common interpretation in Evangelical Christianity that the chief sin of the Pharisees in that context (the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that Jesus refers to) isn't literally the attribution of Jesus' actions to Beelzebub, but rather their constant refusal to accept him. I would agree with you, though, that that's a really strange interpretation of that verse. Blasphemeo was a Koine Greek word roughly translatable to slander, and it's really hard to figure out how, exactly, not accepting what someone says as true is slandering them.

Upvote 0

Maile78

Jul 3, 2014
Alabama
✟8,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the interpretation of that verse that they're leaning toward is the common interpretation in Evangelical Christianity that the chief sin of the Pharisees in that context (the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that Jesus refers to) isn't literally the attribution of Jesus' actions to Beelzebub, but rather their constant refusal to accept him. I would agree with you, though, that that's a really strange interpretation of that verse. Blasphemeo was a Koine Greek word roughly translatable to slander, and it's really hard to figure out how, exactly, not accepting what someone says as true is slandering them.
Right, I wouldn't consider that slander either. I assumed it was referring to the accusation of working with Beelzebub. Other wise it does leave one with some serious ponderings. I will have to go back and look into it more now. Thank you for that perspective.

Upvote 0

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So a lot of atheists go through an anti-theist stage. Myself included. And there are different reasons for that. But after a while it gets boring. Speaking with believers, many of the things that made me an anti-theist for years they know and acknowledge are bad. And those who won't stop those behaviors, I at least understand the why.

Some atheists don't move out of that stage, and they have their reasons which need to be addressed. Others refocus on other issues.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2016
Somewhere or Another
✟10,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Right, I wouldn't consider that slander either. I assumed it was referring to the accusation of working with Beelzebub. Other wise it does leave one with some serious ponderings. I will have to go back and look into it more now. Thank you for that perspective.

Sorry about that. I think I just misunderstood because I was getting this thread tangled up with another one about how Christians view atheists that I had open in a different tab, and assumed that context. I just realized this is the "Are you Antitheists?" thread. That's my fault for any confusion that might have presented.

So a lot of atheists go through an anti-theist stage. Myself included. And there are different reasons for that. But after a while it gets boring. Speaking with believers, many of the things that made me an anti-theist for years they know and acknowledge are bad. And those who won't stop those behaviors, I at least understand the why.

My antitheist stage was pretty brief, honestly. I had been hurt a great deal by my religious beliefs, and I think that I just needed to vent the anger left over from that. Most of my friends are religious, though, so it didn't take long for that to cool off.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has been suggested that atheist is synonymous with antitheist.

I'd like to know how many antitheists are here.

Nope. I was a theist for most of my life and there is nothing wrong with being a believer, if it helps one to be a better person and cope with life. For myself, I gained knowledge through the years that led me to believe my beliefs were wrong and I have this thing where it is hard for me to deny what seems to be the most closely related to well evidenced reality and I gave up my beliefs.

Upvote 0