Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
As with many questions of this kind, this is too simplistic.

I am not a "general" antitheist, no. It am not opposed to theism as a general position, and I am definitly not opposed - or hate! - theists, as has been suggested in another thread.

But when I observe occurances in reality that I see as "bad", and can understand them to be caused by theism, or I see people being "evil" because of their theism... then, yes, in these instances I oppose the theism that caused this.

(So perhaps you can adjust the poll to add a not-appropriate/explain further option? ;))

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,611.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In general cases no, in specific cases yes.

I think that most religious views are generally harmless, with positives and negatives for society in general. Unlike a lot of atheists I come across, I tend to favour the view that most religious belief sets can and do lead to a net positive for society (although I also think that if theism were to vanish overnight, shunting all that displaced action into more productive activities would benefit everyone).

So, broadly, no. I'm not opposed to individuals believing what they want to believe. Provided they don't try to force their beliefs on me, or use their beliefs as the basis for discrimination (or worse).

However, there are some religious views that I actively oppose. Islamic fundamentalism, Christian biblical literalism/evangelical fundamentalism and Hindu self/child/animal harming practices would be three cases where I would be opposed to particular sets of belief, as I see them as actively harming individuals and society.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't know what one is... Could you possibly put a definition up to help others and myself please? Thank you :)
Atheism is the lack of belief in deities, anti-theism is the position that theism is dangerous or damaging Antitheism - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟372,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The vast majority of us godless folks don't really care what you believe. Only how you act.

Not to go off-topic, but it was Jesus who claimed non-believers were enemies, just because of non-belief:

"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters."

Matt 12:30

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is this directed at atheists or all the Christians I see posting anti-Muslim rhetoric?
A poster has maintained that atheists self identify as antitheist

This is to explore whether this is the case using the popn of this site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, I'm not an anti-theist.

All the awful things that theists engage in wouldn't change if they suddenly became atheists. They'd just find new ways to be controlling, hateful.. etc. You could see that with things like the atheist+ movement, and the horrible place known as "freethoughtblogs".

The problems are deeper than theism or non-theism.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I suppose I'd be ant-theist. I think wide-spread false beliefs tend to be bad for society and individuals.

The problem isn't the belief in a god itself, but it never comes alone. It tend to justify positions that would be weaker without the 'justifying' belief. And this tend to oppress people. Sometimes in completely unacceptable and immoral ways.

This is not okay. Victims are not justifiable collateral for religious belief.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, I'm not an anti-theist.

All the awful things that theists engage in wouldn't change if they suddenly became atheists.

I'm not sure that's true. My moral beliefs were influenced by my religious ones. Religion changes beliefs, it doesn't merely justify it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure that's true. My moral beliefs were influenced by my religious ones. Religion changes beliefs, it doesn't merely justify it.

I'm talking more overall character. From my experience it's quite true.

Most people also massively pick and choose when it comes to what they will follow and what they won't follow in religion. Most of the time the rotten apples will be rotten apples regardless.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm talking more overall character. From my experience it's quite true.

Most people also massively pick and choose when it comes to what they will follow and what they won't follow in religion. Most of the time the rotten apples will be rotten apples regardless.

I agree that 'good people' will try to fin good religion, and vice versa. The issue is that people change. Bad religion keeps bad people bad... otherwise they might have been good... or apathetic.

Strengthening bad positions is bad, don't you think?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree that 'good people' will try to fin good religion, and vice versa. The issue is that people change. Bad religion keeps bad people bad... otherwise they might have been good... or apathetic.

Strengthening bad positions is bad, don't you think?

What do you mean by bad? There are plenty of idealogical thinking that can be kept alive in the secular world too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What do you mean by bad?

Promotes immoral or unprincipled things. eg: opposing some type of marrage, assisted dying, soft drug, abortion.

There are plenty of ideological thinking that can be kept alive in the secular world too.

I agree, but some bad thing are more supported by religion.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Promotes immoral or unprincipled things. eg: opposing some type of marrage, assisted dying, soft drug, abortion.

Yet you can find feminism in secular circles promote other hysterical values.

I agree, but some bad thing are more supported by religion.

In the end I think it's just shuffling the deck. Bad people will always find ways to control people, and even set up puritanical values under secular settings. Even if the new targets are different.

Upvote 0